• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Wars |OT| Jump in to F2P on the 360

Vert boil

header1ggrlf.png

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
Happy Wars Trailer || Announcement Trailer || Customization Trailer || Multiplayer Trailer || All new Happy Wars Trailer

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
English website || Japanese website

Developer: Toylogic
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Release Date: October 12th 2012 (Pre-release available in the dashboard beta and invites can be sent non-beta users)
Format: Xbox LIVE Arcade
Price: Free (Gold Membership needed) - 445MB

Happy Wars is a F2P 30 player third person action game with comical characters battling in over-the-top combat arenas. Players can assume any of 3 types of roles–warrior, mage, or cleric–in a variety of battlefields including fantastic grasslands, a dark world, and the ocean floor, extending your territory by occupying the scattered bases, and cooperating with friends to attacking castles. For off-line fun, the player can take on missions in the solo campaign mode.

gameplaybannerskwprd.png

Modes
  • Multiplayer - In this mode, multiple players battle against one another in all out wars across different levels of terrain. While fighting against each other in, there can be up to 15 people playing against another 15 players in one match. If there aren’t enough players, bots automatically join the fight to help you out.
  • Co-op Mode - In this mode, you can battle with your friends versus the AI in the game. There are also different levels of difficulty that the player can select at any stage to play. The AI are tweaked to be weak so that even novice players can enjoy the fun. However, it will keep the balance so that the player’s team will lose unless the player actively participates in the game.
  • Story - In this mode, you play with and against bots to complete specific challenges. Story mode progressively unlocks as you level up in Multiplayer or Co-op.
  • Training - In this mode, you play with and against bots at a difficulty setting you select.
  • Tutorial - This is a special mode for offline play where the player can learn the basic game controls and give you a display of things to come!

Levelling
There are two forms of levelling in the game.
  • Level Rank - Your level increase as you play the game. As you gain levels you will be able to equip heaver items and unlock SP levels. Once you reach lvl 31 you join the Upper League.
    • Upper League - As well as getting better loot, you earn League points when you win a match and lose points when you lose. There are five rankings in the Upper League. Immortal, Legend, Hero, Spartan and Grand Master.
  • Temporary in-game levelling - As you play you gain levels that gives you access to more skills. You gain different skills depending on the level you playing.

Items
There are five different item types that you can equip. Weapons, Shields, Armour, Helmets and Accessories. Items can be bought in the Item store or Happy Card game with Happy Tickets, won on the Happy Spinner with Happy Stars or won whilst playing the game.
  • Item Levelling and Modification - Watch the Customization Trailer.

Tags/Clans
There is a clan system called Theme Tag. You can select groups you would like to play with or against online.

characterbanners66ro6.png

The Cleric’s class role apart from supporting other players is to Summon Materials so their team can build items in the game world.
  • Dash
  • Dispel
  • Heal
  • Resurrection
  • Sanctuary
  • Sacred Armour
  • Summon Materials
  • Wall
  • Team Skills
    • Happy Miracle
    • Sacred Song
    • Transport

The Mage’s class role is to buff other players and cause massive damage through environmental effects.
  • Blizzard
  • Ice Enchant
  • Ice Shot
  • Fire Ball
  • Fire Enchant
  • Lightning Enchant
  • Lightning Strike
  • Magic Napalm
  • Thunderbolt
  • Wind Blast
  • Wind Enchant
  • Wind Trap
  • Team Skills
    • Lightning Arrow
    • Meteor Storm
    • Tornado

The Warrior’s come out to play.
  • Charge Attack
  • Roar
  • Rocketman
  • Rush
  • Smash
  • Spinning Blade
  • Stone Throw
  • Team Skills
    • Cheer
    • Group Rush
    • Iron Phalanx

For more information on the skills look at the official pages for Class Skills and Team Skills.

Watch the Customization Trailer to see all of the things you can change and upgrade.

microbannerd0qug.png

There are two currencies in the game. Happy Stars that are earned playing the game and Happy Tickets that are bought using Microsoft Points.

Currently Happy Tickets can be bought in three packages,

• 8 Happy Tickets for 80msp (1$)
  • 50 Happy Tickets for 400msp (5$)
  • 170 Happy Tickets for 1200msp (15$)

Happy Tickets can be used in multiple ways,

• Happy Tickets can be used instead of Happy Stars e.g. pay 1 Happy Ticket instead of 400 Happy Stars. You can do this in-game to Spawn Stronger or when levelling up items.
  • Happy Tickets can also spent in the Item store. Three swords for 18 Happy Tickets, Themed Soldier set for 20 Happy tickets, Three Shields for 18 Happy Tickets and many many more.
  • Happy Tickets can be used to buy Happy Cards. Happy Cards are a selection of items from a specific category (Weapons, Shields etc) that cost 18 Happy Tickets each. Buying multiple packs in one go will open up the ability to buy special packs.

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png

s0eusb.png
s0eusb.png
Happy Wars Trailer || Announcement Trailer || Customization Trailer || Multiplayer Trailer || All new Happy Wars Trailer

footerc4oml.png

Text and images stolen from the official sites.

Vert boil

Happy Wars will be released tomorrow for all Gold members.

People in the beta can play it now. To download, go to the beta tab and select the More section.

Non-beta gold member can be invited to download the game now by people that have the game. Both people need to be online for the invite to work. (Menu, Multiplayer > Invite Friends)

Card Boy

Banned
Played for afew hours. Very good. Also i think that Premium item achievement can be earn for free without spending money if you win the prize on the Wheel.

acm2000

i enjoyed the beta of this, bit miffed to see my stats wiped tho! but ho-hum, the IAPs are too bad, not sure if you can get happy tickets any other way than buying them, but the happy stars you can earn to buy stuff, and on the hour, every 2 hours (i think) is bonus points rounds where you earn more stars in the battles

bryehn

I never checked out the beta through the new dash, but wow the art style is very, very, very similar to Fable Heroes.

RdN

Did they fix the connection to games and lag?

During the beta, finding games (specially when with a party) was a major pain.. Being stuck in the looby and thing like that. And then, when you could find a game, lag destroyed the experience.

If they fixed these issues, I'll give the game another chance. It's pretty fun, and reminds me of Fat Princess.

Bullza2o

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this game free-to-play if I need a Gold subscription? I know the game itself is free, but XBL Gold ≠ F2P to me.

acm2000

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this game free-to-play if I need a Gold subscription? I know the game itself is free, but XBL Gold ≠ F2P to me.

for gold users, its a f2p game, for silver users, it doesnt exist, you dont buy gold for this, this is a bonus FOR gold

How can any PC game be called "free-to-play" if I need a PC and possibly an internet connection to play it?

I get your point, but if you extend that logic out even slightly, you realize that there is no such thing as f2p.

Regardless, I've never heard of this. I don't think it looks particularly impressive, but I'll give it a shot. 1 vs 100 was one of the best things on the 360 for a little while, so if it can capture some of that magic, I'm in.

LuchaShaq

Banned
How can any PC game be called "free-to-play" if I need a PC and possibly an internet connection to play it?

I get your point, but if you extend that logic out even slightly, you realize that there is no such thing as f2p.

Regardless, I've never heard of this. I don't think it looks particularly impressive, but I'll give it a shot. 1 vs 100 was one of the best things on the 360 for a little while, so if it can capture some of that magic, I'm in.

WTF I gotta pay for electricity to my pc for f2p games? what a scam

Gowans

I'm checking this out, waiting in matchmaking with 20+ other guys.

Played the first part of the tutorial, looks like a stripped down & less polished Fat Princess.

Some important things to note from my time playing the beta and pre release:

Defense stats are very important, very! you will be killed in a few hits most of the time.

If you run away from an attack you will take double damage if hit from behind, so try to run to the side or use your shield (mage has no shield)

It's important to rush to the first spawn tower to build it, you get an instant level up just for helping and it only takes a second.

Items with an orange stat mean that stat is permanent on that item, a white stat can be moved to another item with an empty slot. Not all stats are positive!

Never bin items! you can not sell them for coins but you need extra material when upgrading gear, you use unwanted items as the materials. As a weapon raises level it will need more money and material to upgrade (or if out of coins, use a few happy tickets)

Krabboss

360 [platform] -> XBL Gold [subscription] -> Game, supported by microtransactions.
PC [platform] -> Game, supported by microtransactions.

Nope, your logic doesn't work. The game is as free as any other thing Microsoft has slapped onto XBL Gold to try and add some value to it. It's nutso-crazy that they'd put something that makes money through micro-transactions behind a paywall. They need to stop treating free to play like a different thing to regular games if they want to get anywhere with it. I mean, it's not like you have to be a Gold subscriber to buy an XBLA game.

Did they fix the connection to games and lag?

During the beta, finding games (specially when with a party) was a major pain.. Being stuck in the looby and thing like that. And then, when you could find a game, lag destroyed the experience.

If they fixed these issues, I'll give the game another chance. It's pretty fun, and reminds me of Fat Princess.

Lag is better and matchmaking is still slow but it works, sometimes unbalanced teams but with a huge pool of new people now it should work better.

Scratch that, the game I am in feels like it's being hosted oversea from me and it's rather unplayable right now.

Following match up against a wave of level 30's :/ this game, it's love and hate.

Vert boil

Can't find it yet.

It should be out now but they haven't put it up yet. MS have been really dodgy for the past few Friday releases. I have the Happy Wars and Pool Nation pages refreshing and will post when HW pops up.

sorry if this is a stupid question but if i have the beta installed does it turn in to the full game today or do i need to delete and redownload?

Vert boil

sorry if this is a stupid question but if i have the beta installed does it turn in to the full game today or do i need to delete and redownload?

If you didn't download the pre-release version you'll have to download again. You can grab it from the Beta tab (in the More section).

And for everyone not in the Beta, they haven't put up either of the Arcade games that are due today. They have been Really dodgy recently and seem to be doing it again today.

If you didn't download the pre-release version you'll have to download again. You can grab it from the Beta tab (in the More section).

And for everyone not in the Beta, they haven't put up either of the Arcade games that are due today. They have been Really dodgy recently and seem to be doing it again today.

ill have to check tonight, i just downloaded the game last week and only played it for a few minutes and did some of the training, how long ago did the pre release version get released?

Vert boil

Is this Beta & US only, my friends can't find it

Non-beta gold member can be invited to download the game now by people that have the game. Both people need to be online for the invite to work. (Menu, Multiplayer > Invite Friends)

Any chance I can get someone from here to invite me to the game. Want to check it out but sadly probably wont be at my xbox for a few days after today.

Hey thanks Dug! Sorry - any chance you can throw another invite my way, dashboard didnt accept the first one :(

EDIT: Hey thanks a bunch Dug

360 [platform] -> XBL Gold [subscription] -> Game, supported by microtransactions.
PC [platform] -> Game, supported by microtransactions.

Nope, your logic doesn't work. The game is as free as any other thing Microsoft has slapped onto XBL Gold to try and add some value to it. It's nutso-crazy that they'd put something that makes money through micro-transactions behind a paywall. They need to stop treating free to play like a different thing to regular games if they want to get anywhere with it. I mean, it's not like you have to be a Gold subscriber to buy an XBLA game.

Free-to-play (F2P) refers to any video game or social or mobile application that has the option of allowing its players/users to play/download without paying.

You don't pay for it.

A great game that I only heard about today (from this thread no less). Played a few matches with the Cleric and had a blast.

Just got home and now it's up, thanks anyway Dug.

Someone should make a silver account for this game so we can get that GAF train rollin'!

Too many games to play...My God! I still have two campaigns and Mercenaries left in RE6, I need to play Episode 4 of TWD, I want to pick up Dishonored and XCOM, and now this...and Halo 4 is only weeks away!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What was the archetype for this game? We got Fat Princess, King Arthur's Gold, and now Happy Wars all of a sudden this gen and they're vaguely similar.

Anyway, I look forward to checking it out.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
tried getting a few games going. no go. my team gets full but nothing on the other side

Hmm.. matchmaking isn't working for me. Anyone else able to get in a game?

Err, didn't see your post above. I've been trying for the past 15 minutes to connect to a game and it drops out every time. The lobby fills up but we don't ever start, just disconnects or endless matchmaking.

Top Bottom