• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] The New PS5 is Actually Better

Md Ray

I didn't hear Austin say anything about thermal throttling issues on the new PS5 he tested. He said the new PS5 is 'worse'. Based on the results on this latest video it still looks pretty inconclusive. Still nothing to fly off the handle about as we witnessed with Austin's initial video.

You mentioned the cooler SOC but didn't mention the hotter memory or louder fan. That was actually opposite in what Austin said when he stated the new fan was quieter. Gamers Nexus, stated the memory temp was his biggest concern. The only thing that is certain is that this was a cost saving move for Sony. Whether or not it is good for gamers is another point entirely.

Austin's video was an opinion. You don't have to agree with it. I'm pretty sure he didn't say definitively that the CPU will throttle. In fact in his video he showed both systems running the same game with the same results. There was no performance issues shown. The fact of the video was that the new PS5 was lighter and that was proven.
Listen to the parts 4:11 and 11:11 of his initial vid where he mentions it may/will decrease perf.

How hot was the memory though? 48 C? How much louder was the fan though? 1dB? The official TJ Max value for GDDR6 according to Micron is 100 C, and the typical recommended operating temp can go up to 95 C. I didn't know 40-48 C and 1dB +- were such a cause for concern...

Do you agree that Austin was dead wrong about his higher SoC temp assumptions? It's pretty embarrassing for you to come out here and still defend his piece of shit opinion which did nothing but spread misinformation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still really want to know the GPU's thermals, can't understand why they didn't test for that.
Are you serious? Surely you know that the CPU and GPU are on the same chip. The APU. Consoles have used APUs the last two gens. No one is doing discrete CPU and GPUs in a console anymore. Thats what hes calling the CPU temps.

They are way too low. 40 degrees is nothing. So this might not be accurate.

LordOfChaos

This is why I was in camp wait and see. The exhaust temperature is also hotter on this unit as Heyguysthisexhausting found, but the main SoC runs significantly cooler, while the VRM is less so hotter

Sony probably just found they could optimize airflow better this way, save some metal, and even make a bit of average improvement overall. Exhaust temperatures are a bad measure of anything inside.

skit_data

Massive difference in the SOC cooling temps but the memory and mobo runs hotter which explains the higher exhaust temps both this guy and Austin Evans found.

WuKFFOq.jpg

So technically the PS5 IS hotter, but it isnt exactly worse. The APU is the most important thing to cool when it comes to performance.
I think we can pretty much scratch their whole testing. Their measurements are based on probing everything but the relevant points of interest.

Tripolygon

Banned
hat maybe weren't big concerns originally, to achieve it. So there's some questions still open for answering to be perfectly honest.

Still waiting on the Digital Foundry and Gamers Nexus analysis' to get more definitive takes.
This is the RAM in PS5 at least some models, not sure if they use only one brand. See the listed optimum temperature? Some models of GDDR6 RAM go up to 105C.

kdhgUEe.png

Aenima

I didn't hear Austin say anything about thermal throttling issues on the new PS5 he tested. He said the new PS5 is 'worse'. Based on the results on this latest video it still looks pretty inconclusive. Still nothing to fly off the handle about as we witnessed with Austin's initial video.

... louder fan. That was actually opposite in what Austin said when he stated the new fan was quieter.
Austin said based on the exaust themperatures the console was running 5ºC hotter wich could either throttle the console or impact the longevity. It was not an opinion, it was a statement. A false statement.

As u could see in this new video the guy got lucky enough to get 2 PS5 with the exact same fans. The fans spin at the exact same speed, the extra noise the new model does comes from the air traveling inside the console. The fan is not louder.

Austin tested 2 PS5 with totally diferent fans and decided to claim the new PS5 is quieter disregarding the fact they are not using the same fan model.

Last edited:

CuNi

Look at the right.
He showed the sensors.

You can watch from 7:30 on the video.

He showed Sensors either in Idle or at the beginning of his test because at 8:50 you can see a cut and the graph which now not only shows higher temps but the constant rise in temps on each probe.
The Temps on the Left at 7:30 are the averages which are hotter in every aspect except CPU, which yet again has terrible probe placement.

So no, it's not cooler. He literally shows you his finding to the left and talks about them but you conveniently chose to ignore them and post 1 screenshot which suits you better as a argument.

Lol at the justin clown, no point talking abouut fan noise, that's a lottery, i just want to know if they fixed the dam coil whine. Can someone open the psu and check.

ethomaz

Banned
He showed Sensors either in Idle or at the beginning of his test because at 8:50 you can see a cut and the graph which now not only shows higher temps but the constant rise in temps on each probe.
The Temps on the Left at 7:30 are the averages which are hotter in every aspect except CPU, which yet again has terrible probe placement.

So no, it's not cooler. He literally shows you his finding to the left and talks about them but you conveniently chose to ignore them and post 1 screenshot which suits you better as a argument.
Man I did not even posted any screenshot lol
I watched the video.

You should watch it too.

Last edited:
Timestamped for your convenience. Not that I want to give this guy any more views but I'm sure you have personally watched this video already with glee. You just weren't paying attention

Did you actually listen to what he said? He said IF you are having throttling issues with your current PS5 the NEW cooling system MIGHT make that issue even worse. Not that the new PS5 system WILL have throttling issues. Again people in a rush to attack a guy's opinion are missing the important context and nuance in what was said. Maybe YOU weren't paying attention bro. Again no one is saying you have to agree with this opinion.

Listen to the parts 4:11 and 11:11 of his initial vid where he mentions it may/will decrease perf.

How hot was the memory though? 48 C? How much louder was the fan though? 1dB? The official TJ Max value for GDDR6 according to Micron is 100 C, and the typical recommended operating temp can go up to 95 C. I didn't know 40-48 C and 1dB +- were such a cause for concern...

Do you agree that Austin was dead wrong about his higher SoC temp assumptions? It's pretty embarrassing for you to come out here and still defend his piece of shit opinion which did nothing but spread misinformation.
I listened again and I commented above. Saying something MIGHT be a potential problem only backs up that this was his opinion. Also Austin was saying the new system was quieter. I sure you were pretty supportive of that point right? I think he said the system had hotter exhaust not that the SOC was hotter. If you are going to critique something at least be accurate.

I don't necessarily agree with his final conclusion about the new cooler being 'worse'. I think more testing needs to be done. I absolutely support his right to have an opinion and not be attacked for it from overly sensitive people on the internet. What is really embarrassing is being more upset about a guy's opinion than the people who were threatening his life over having said opinion. The vast majority of his video was pretty informative.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
You know what an APU is?

But the readings from this tests are not accurate at all.

Look at the pics, few posts above from Alder Alder
The console uses liquid metal to exchange between both surfaces, it´s impossible to add a sensor in between for an even more accurate result, without tempering the out-of-the-box build, setup, used components incl. cooling. This is a console, not a desktop pc with a 500g heavy macho rev2 sitting on top of it, easily removable.

Testing the backplate, top-cover-dissipating the heat is better, than just pointing a infra red camera on the exhaust, hot air.

sircaw

Banned
Interesting video, I will say though, 11 degrees less, that sounds too good to be true, if it is correct, wow, that is massive.

Looking forward to more of these tests

ethomaz

Banned
Just to point out they put the probes on EM shield/backplate not on or even close to the chips.
That is probably not a big issue because they are doing the same in both models.
Plus you can’t remove the liquid metal to direct reach the APU.

If you do that you are basically not testing the actual console temps anymore.

The probes needs to be in places that doesn’t change or affect the actual console cooling design.

Last edited:

skit_data

The console uses liquid metal to exchange between both surfaces, it´s impossible to add a sensor in between for an even more accurate result, without tempering the out-of-the-box build, setup, used components incl. cooling. This is a console, not a desktop pc with a 500g heavy macho rev2 sitting on top of it, easily removable.

Testing the backplate, top-cover-dissipating the heat is better, than just pointing a infra red camera on the exhaust, hot air.
It’s probably better than Austins testing, but in no way is it an accurate way of measuring. That 10 degree difference might just indicate a larger surface area is exposed to heat dissipation because of the smaller heatsink.
It’s pretty much meaningless.

I don’t know how they could actually go about it but I’m sure there is a more accurate way to do it.

Last edited:

Yes agreed it's better, but not what we want to see. Memory chips are accessible and they can get closer to the APU.

Dr Bass

Did you actually listen to what he said? He said IF you are having throttling issues with your current PS5 the NEW cooling system MIGHT make that issue even worse. Not that the new PS5 system WILL have throttling issues. Again people in a rush to attack a guy's opinion they are missing the important context and nuance in what was said. Maybe YOU weren't paying attention bro. Again no one is saying you have to agree with this opinion.
There is no "context" or "nuance" in anything he said or did though.

"IF" you are having throttling issues insinuates the PS5 is built in a way where throttling ... could be an issue.

It isn't, and people's systems are just fine because these companies don't build stuff that throttles. He's casting those seeds of doubt because he's trying to stir up :messenger_poop:, and it seems like you're buying into it. Like he's doing us all some great service. Pretending that it it's all neutral fact-reporting is disingenuous, and I suspect you know this.

Again. PS5s don't have throttling issues. Thank you.

Last edited:
That is probably not a big issue because they are doing the same in both models.

The probes needs to be in places that doesn’t change or affect the actual console cooling design.
Well at least I need better data.
Best effort was not made here.

Alder

Neo Member
O console usa metal líquido para trocar entre as duas superfícies, é impossível adicionar um sensor no meio para um resultado ainda mais preciso, sem temperar a construção, configuração, componentes usados incl. resfriamento. Este é um console, não um PC desktop com um pesado macho rev2 de 500g em cima dele, facilmente removível.

Testar a placa traseira, dissipar o calor da tampa superior, é melhor do que apenas apontar uma câmera infravermelha no escapamento, ar quente.

It has a piece of plastic isolating the capacitors on the back of the APU board, outside of which the EM shield is steel with low thermal conductivity.

Three

Did you actually listen to what he said? He said IF you are having throttling issues with your current PS5 the NEW cooling system MIGHT make that issue even worse. Not that the new PS5 system WILL have throttling issues. Again people in a rush to attack a guy's opinion they are missing the important context and nuance in what was said. Maybe YOU weren't paying attention bro. Again no one is saying you have to agree with this opinion.
There was no "might". He said that is something you will definitely notice. He said that it will cause a difference in performance. That's utter bullshit. The APU is cooler and not only that but for it to throttle it needs to hit 110°C! Your PS5 will shut down and not throttle. Please don't be daft. This isn't an opinion it's bullshit pedalled as fact. If the old PS5 is overheating because of poor placement it will boost fan speed, if that doesn't work it will shut down. At worse your new PS5 may run the fan faster (it won't even do that because the APU might even be cooler) It will not hit throttling temp and affect performance.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
It’s probably better than Austins testing, but in no way is it an accurate way of measuring. That 10 degree difference might just indicate a larger surface area is exposed to heat dissipation because of the smaller heatsink.
It’s pretty much meaningless.

I don’t know how they could actually go about it but I’m sure there is a more accurate way to do it.

Yes agreed it's better, but not what we want to see. Memory chips are accessible and they can get closer to the APU.

The air at the rear hits 56º+, if we add +5º for every step
heatpipe transfer
backplate transfer
+30% (different materials used, vertical vs horizontal position of PS5 etc.)

the apu is around 70º, which for a modern chip is laughable. Dunno what the tjuntion (max) is, but if they´re close to their desktop counterparts, the console is far from that reaching the "throttling zone" (100º+).

I may announce the complete article, which Aris has kindly made available to me in advance, for Thursday (I hope so) and embed his video at the same time. Sony has really managed to slim down the cooler by a whopping 300 grams and made minor changes to the PCB layout along the way, which could be for any number of reasons. But more about that on Friday.

Laughable? What do you mean?
70º ain´t much for todays chips. Picked the wrong word for it.

Last edited:
The air at the rear hits 56º+, if we add +5º for every step
heatpipe transfer
backplate transfer
+30% (different materials used, vertical vs horizontal position of PS5 etc.)

the apu is around 70º, which for a modern chip is laughable. Dunno what the tjuntion (max) is, but if they´re close to their desktop counterparts, the console is far from that reaching the "throttling zone" (100º+).
I don't expect there to be any problems on the new PS5.

I just expect best effort from the testers.

What do you mean "Memories are cooler" ?
They are literally 8°C hotter.
VRM is up roughly 1.3°C too and Exhaust is increased as well, just like Austin found out and proved.
"Proved" what? That he can point a scanner and read numbers? That's all he proved with his "test".

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Laughable? What do you mean?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If the probes have been placed in the same place on both models it still shows temperature difference between them.

Yes it shows a temperature in the same place on both but you can't call it cpu etc when it's on the shielding, there could be so much at play here. Maybe the old cooler touches the shielding more and passes on more heat. Its not a good test for temp at all.

Last edited:
There is no "context" or "nuance" in anything he said or did though.

"IF" you are having throttling issues insinuates the PS5 is built in a way where throttling ... could be an issue.

It isn't, and people's systems are just fine because these companies don't build stuff that throttles. He's casting those seeds of doubt because he's trying to stir up :messenger_poop:, and it seems like you're buying into it. Like he's doing us all some great service. Pretending that it it's all neutral fact-reporting is disingenuous, and I suspect you know this.

Again. PS5s don't have throttling issues. Thank you.
Seems like you skipped over the IF. If your system isn't having a problem then it doesn't apply to you right? I am not buying into anything. I have said numerous times I didn't reach the same conclusion he did about the cooler being worse. I am able to take info and arrive at my own conclusions. I was still able to find some value in his video and I thought it was a fascinating look at the new PS5 cooler. I can take it for what it was; one guy's point of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There was no "might". He said that is something you will definitely notice. He said that it will cause a difference in performance. That's utter bullshit. The APU is cooler and not only that but for it to throttle it needs to hit 110°C! Your PS5 will shut down and not throttle. Please don't be daft. This isn't an opinion it's bullshit pedalled as fact. If the old PS5 is overheating because of poor placement it will boost fan speed, if that doesn't work it will shut down. At worse your new PS5 may run the fan faster (it won't even do that because the APU might even be cooler) It will not hit throttling temp and affect performance.
This strikes me as more of an emotional response than one based on logic. All the comments about throttling were based around the hypothetical of a old system having the problem at the start. Again if it doesn't apply to you then you can ignore it. My PS5 doesn't throttle and I wasn't upset at Austin's video.

"if you're going to critique something at least be accurate"... The irony. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

His literal conclusion was that hotter exhaust = hotter SoC due to smaller heatsink, therefore it's worse.
Can you please give me the time stamp in his video where he declared the new PS5 has a hotter running SOC please. All I recall was him taking the temperature of the exhaust.

That 11 degree difference on the APU is crazy, that's a hell of a difference. It is worth remembering that these things can vary from console to console even if those consoles are identical but certainly not to that extent.
Not so happy about the memory temps though.

Dr Bass

Seems like you skipped over the IF. If your system isn't having a problem then it doesn't apply to you right? I am not buying into anything. I have said numerous times I didn't reach the same conclusion he did about the cooler being worse. I am able to take info and arrive at my own conclusions. I was still able to find some value in his video and I thought it was a fascinating look at the new PS5 cooler. I can take it for what it was; one guy's point of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

This strikes me as more of an emotional response than one based on logic. All the comments about throttling were based around the hypothetical of a old system having the problem at the start. Again if it doesn't apply to you then you can ignore it. My PS5 doesn't throttle and I wasn't upset at Austin's video.

Can you please give me the time stamp in his video where he declared the new PS5 has a hotter running SOC please. All I recall was him taking the temperature of the exhaust.
I am quoting the bolded because you completely missed the point. It's funny when you try to cite "nuance" as a supporting factor, but you don't even understand how rhetorical devices can be used to make that argument. You're reinforcing the very point I was making by highlighting your mealy mouthed use of of your "Oh IF you are having trouble." The point is people are not having throttling issues. You're making things up, or buying into this guy doing so because you want to. It's the interjection of doubt and possibility of failure with absolutely zero data that shows what you are trying to do.

Aren't you one of the people arguing in the Xbox Series S is a "brilliantly designed machine" thread in favor of the Series S? So you think the Series S is "brilliant" but you're in here concerned that the PS5 people "might have throttling issues." Uhh ... ok. Nothing to see here folks.

Newsflash. All of the consoles are just fine. All of them.

sircaw

Banned
All you dumb "new PS5" fanboys. Pathetic. Clearly, the original PS5 is the true master race console. The new PS5 is for weebs.

Or something.
I am so glad that i did not buy the first PlayStation 5 model this generation, in fact, i am not going to get this new one either and wait for the one after that which will be even better again.

I might just skip this entire generation just to rub it in your face.

That will teach you. "lollipop_disappointed:

Loxus

Imo, these test are much more valid then Austin's test.

I see many questioning the placement of the temperature probes. But if place the temperature probes the same spots on both of the PS5 to get readings of the internal temps and the temps are lower on the new model. It means the new model isn't worst, but some what better.

It also means one of many Ls coming Austin's way. I can see a 'I was wrong about the PS5' video coming.

oagboghi2

I'm sorry, when the hell was it just accepted that PS5 have a throttling issue? Are PS5 failing en masse because of heat issues.

The guy is straight up fearmongering, to make this look like a bigger deal than it ever was

sircaw

Banned
Imo, these test are much more valid then Austin's test.

I see many questioning the placement of the temperature probes. But if place the temperature probes the same spots on both of the PS5 to get readings of the internal temps and the temps are lower on the new model. It means the new model isn't worst, but some what better.

It also means one of many Ls coming Austin's way. I can see a 'I was wrong about the PS5' video coming.
I totally agree with you but the "I was wrong about the ps5 video he might do, i doubt we will see that, he knew exactly what he was trying to do in that video of his."

I am quoting the bolded because you completely missed the point. It's funny when you try to cite "nuance" as a supporting factor, but you don't even understand how rhetorical devices can be used to make that argument. You're reinforcing the very point I was making by highlighting your mealy mouthed use of of your "Oh IF you are having trouble." The point is people are not having throttling issues. You're making things up, or buying into this guy doing so because you want to. It's the interjection of doubt and possibility of failure with absolutely zero data that shows what you are trying to do.

Aren't you one of the people arguing in the Xbox Series S is a "brilliantly designed machine" thread in favor of the Series S? So you think the Series S is "brilliant" but you're in here concerned that the PS5 people "might have throttling issues." Uhh ... ok. Nothing to see here folks.

Newsflash. All of the consoles are just fine. All of them.
Many people here passionately shouted down anyone complaining about coil whine on the PS5. I don't think you or anyone else knows the state of every single PS5's operating state. Just because a person is more emotional about a position doesn't make them correct.

My comments on the XSS were about people not owning the system stating outright lies about it. Austin actually has a PS5. He took apart two of them with a PS5 fan and stated his opinion on what he saw. That is a far cry from guys with a clear anti-MS bias talking about how the XSS will ruin console gaming. I'm certain you can see the difference.

Anyone is free to disagree with Austin's opinion. He even encouraged others to make their own videos and reach their own conclusions. I am just not seeing the problem here.

I'm sorry, when the hell was it just accepted that PS5 have a throttling issue? Are PS5 failing en masse because of heat issues.

The guy is straight up fearmongering, to make this look like a bigger deal than it ever was
Austin never said PS5s were having throttling issues. He never said PS5s were failing en masse. The reaction to the video was completely overblown.

skit_data

Didn’t you hear about the variable frequencies? Cerny made them variable so they would run a higher risk of having to downclock. He just loves variable stuff for the sake of it. Variable performance. Everybody knows fixed is best.
94aZy87.gif

/s

Last edited:
Top Bottom