• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) June 2008 NPD Predictions - MGS4: How big a bump? - Closes July 11 @ 10 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
donny2112 said:
As far as I know, yes. Just estimating Wal-Mart, TRU, and any other stores they don't get direct numbers from.

It'd be nice if Wal Mart shared there data they pretty much get it real time.

jakncoke

Banned
bloody pirate said:
MS will stomp sony... I'm willing to take a Day ban for it

define stomp and then why be a pussy with the bet, it seems your super confident , why not a month or longer ban bet?

Nutter

Andrex said:
Whoah I'm surprised there aren't more predictions. Has GAF given up?
I think GAF in general has learned not to care for numbers anymore.

-Wii is crushing all the systems, yet is not getting the games we want so no one really cares.
-PS3 and 360 are in a dead heat, so no one cares. (outside of MGS4)
-its E3, So people are busy argueing somewhere else.

-IMO, the only months that will remotely interesting to see from here on out, will be the months we have the BIG games hitting.

le.phat said:
stomped huh :D Any reasoning behind that ironclad confidence ?

For a day I'd bet that the PS3 will outsell the Wii for the month. Basically there is no fear in the bet since it's just a single day. Him or whoever makes the bet will be back in no time like they never left.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe this has been asked before here, i havnt read all the posts, but regarding Wal-Mart, the way i understand it is that NPD doesnt include the numbers for Wal-Mart, but they do an estimate. Recently Wal-Mart (i think atleast, correct me if i'm wrong), had one of those $100-off thingie on PS3 and Bluray players, correct? If so, i guess that this will have a chance to boost the sales alittle. Does anyone here know if NPD takes things like this into concideration?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The only thing that will bring real surprise is if the PS3 doesn't outsell the 360 this month. This is basically it's Halo month. The most anticipated exclusive game they will likely have for the duration of the console. Combined that with the reintroduction of the 80GB and BC, this should be a slam dunk for Sony.

Agent Icebeezy said:
The only thing that will bring real surprise is if the PS3 doesn't outsell the 360 this month. This is basically it's Halo month. The most anticipated exclusive game they will likely have for the duration of the console. Combined that with the reintroduction of the 80GB and BC, this should be a slam dunk for Sony.

I agree, PS3 sales will be at least double the 360's imo

jjasper

Agent Icebeezy said:

I wish we could know the number of 80gbs sold. I doubt it will be in the NPD but is there any way Sony releases bundle numbers in their PR?

jakncoke

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
one day ban bets?

weaksauce.

people who are too chicken to do real ban bets shouldn't be mentioning one day bets.

there should be some kind of rule that states, if you want to do a ban bet it has to be a minimum of like 2 weeks or something.

ok fine 2days.. ms will wax that ass... nobody bought mgs4 or the bundle.. my local shop had a ton just sitting there.. i asked 1 clerk and he said 360's are flying off shelves.. even the core mainly for too human and TOV.. 2 crucial exclusives

bloody pirate said:
ok fine 2days.. ms will wax that ass... nobody bought mgs4 or the bundle.. my local shop had a ton just sitting there.. i asked 1 clerk and he said 360's are flying off shelves.. even the core mainly for too human and TOV.. 2 crucial exclusives

Mildly ammusing

bloody pirate said:
Quite credible indeed. Be a man (unless you are a woman and I didn't know), I have no idea what the NPD will say, but I'll go a month ban bet with you if you can take it.

bloody pirate said:
Really?

Srsly?

bloody pirate said:

In other news, Chuck Norris has finally cried.

h3ro

bloody pirate said:

Did Kaz run over your dog?

yoopoo

Banned
Equaling its status on a worldwide basis, Wii™ has become the best-selling video game console in the United States. According to independent sales tracking information from the NPD Group, more than 666,000 Wii consoles sold for the month of June, and nearly 10.9 million Wii consoles have been sold in the United States in the 20 months following its November 2006 launch. The system is credited with breaking down the psychological barriers between gamers and non-gamers.

“Wii was created with the goal of expanding the gaming universe through its intuitive motion-sensing controller,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “As we have demonstrated this week during the E3 Media & Business Summit, Wii continues to pioneer new ways for people to interact with their video games and with one another.”

The portable Nintendo DS™ finished as the top-selling U.S. video game system in June, with more than 783,000 units sold. To date, more than 20.8 million Nintendo DS units have been sold in the United States.

The report also shows that six out of the top 10 best-selling games for June are made for Nintendo systems, including Guitar Hero® On Tour (No. 2), Wii Fit™ (No. 4), Wii Play™ (No. 5), Mario Kart® Wii (No. 6), LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures for Wii (No. 7) and LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures for Nintendo DS (No. 9).

jakncoke

Banned
bloody pirate said:

:lol

So 1 store clerk news= what happened in the whole country?

Well the numbers are in Sony, MS and Nintendo's hands.... as well as anyone else in the industry. Chances are sonycowboy is sniggering to himself somewhere, waiting for the clock to tick down to 6.30pm dead. And some, Matt Cassassasmaimania is thinking "Shall I...shall I spill the order again?".

Ah NPD day.

yoopoo said:
Equaling its status on a worldwide basis, Wii™ has become the best-selling video game console in the United States. According to independent sales tracking information from the NPD Group, more than 666,000 Wii consoles sold for the month of June, and nearly 10.9 million Wii consoles have been sold in the United States in the 20 months following its November 2006 launch. The system is credited with breaking down the psychological barriers between gamers and non-gamers.

“Wii was created with the goal of expanding the gaming universe through its intuitive motion-sensing controller,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “As we have demonstrated this week during the E3 Media & Business Summit, Wii continues to pioneer new ways for people to interact with their video games and with one another.”

The portable Nintendo DS™ finished as the top-selling U.S. video game system in June, with more than 783,000 units sold. To date, more than 20.8 million Nintendo DS units have been sold in the United States.

The report also shows that six out of the top 10 best-selling games for June are made for Nintendo systems, including Guitar Hero® On Tour (No. 2), Wii Fit™ (No. 4), Wii Play™ (No. 5), Mario Kart® Wii (No. 6), LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures for Wii (No. 7) and LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures for Nintendo DS (No. 9).
Omg, just like in Japan. xD

BobTheFork said:
Quite credible indeed. Be a man (unless you are a woman and I didn't know), I have no idea what the NPD will say, but I'll go a month ban bet with you if you can take it.

why don't you be a man and check my post history... I'm very credible

MS got this in the bag.... 5 million lead... and its growing daily... everyone who bought MGS4 got the console at launch... like i said the core+ TOV and toohuman >>> MGS4 bundle.. by far..

I actually seen 3 people standing in line at my local shop on my way to work... i stopped and asked..." why are you guys standing in line" they responded "dude too human demo came out so were in line for the 360"

honestly im not surprised

yoopoo said:

So
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Guitar Hero On Tour
3. Battlefield Bad Company

that sound about right?

RBH

Wow. Guitar Hero On Tour did pretty damn well.

I hope Ninja Gaiden II was able to make it into the Top 10. :(

h3ro

bloody pirate said:

MS got this in the bag.... 5 million lead... and its growing daily... everyone who bought MGS4 got the console at launch... like i said the core+ TOV and toohuman >>> MGS4 bundle.. by far..

I actually seen 3 people standing in line at my local shop on my way to work... i stopped and asked..." why are you guys standing in line" they responded "dude too human demo came out so were in line for the 360"

:lol

awesome.

botticus said:
DS kills all. Guitar Hero and two colors was too much for anyone else to counter.

So, #1 is MGS4, #3 is... GTA 360?
Ninja Gaiden is #3 probably. And just glancing through the lst few pages, everyone seriously under-estimated DS sales.

yoopoo said:

So:

1. MGS 4
2. Guitar hero on tou
3. GTA 4 360/ninja gaiden 2?
4. Wii fit
5. wii play
6. Mario kart
7. lego indiana jones
8. Ninja gaiden 2/GTA 4 360?
9 Lego indiana jones DS
10. ps3/360 game

Minsc

Gold Member
Wii @ 666,000 = 133,000 / week, which would be a pretty big fall from last month's weekly average.
supply past demand?

bloody pirate said:

You post history doesn't mean anything in this case, you credibility is citing "my local game store"
That's not the point either. You have total confidence in your claim, but not the confidence to make a decent bet on it, thats the only reason I proposed it.

So is that a no? :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, here to eat crow for my horrible Wii hardware prediction.

I wonder if demand is starting to actually slow down a bit? Either that, or Nintendo is actually reducing shipments..

botticus said:
I'd be kinda surprised. But I forgot about Battlefield too. Unless GTA just died, one of those bombed hard.
I'm just going on the fact that it pretty much had all of June to sell so I figured that would bump it up there. Otherwise yeah, something drops down to #8 :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Guitar Hero DS must have moved a shit ton of units perhaps the bundle really was a huge success. Reggie did say at the Conference DS would beat Wii this NPD

botticus said:
I'd be kinda surprised. But I forgot about Battlefield too. Unless GTA just died, one of those bombed hard.

Battlefield was released on the 23, the demo sucked, and had basically no fanfare around its release.

edit: was also spread accross 2 platforms.

bloody pirate said:

There is some truth to this. I actually bought another 360 for the bathroom so I could play Too Human on demand during times of...well...demand.

BobTheFork said:
You post history doesn't mean anything in this case, you credibility is citing "my local game store"
That's not the point either. You have total confidence in your claim, but not the confidence to make a decent bet on it, thats the only reason I proposed it.

So is that a no? :D

yes it is a no obviously your too scared of 1 day... you don't even have confidence in sony.. which after E3.. i dont blame ya

d+pad

Minsc said:
Wii @ 666,000 = 133,000 / week, which would be a pretty big fall from last month's weekly average.
supply past demand?

Although I'd love it if supply had finally surpassed demand, I sure haven't seen or heard evidence of that yet. Has anyone else?

I have a feeling they undershipped or are (still) diverting supply to Europe based on the anemic US dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom