• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) June 2008 NPD Predictions - MGS4: How big a bump? - Closes July 11 @ 10 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

Stumpokapow said:
2,141,000 wii
1,951,400 ds
993,900 ps3
962,800 psp
934,600 x360

Thank you. :)

PS3 and 360 are so close... Its only going to get closer when this holiday season rolls around, but I think Gears is going to put 360 over the top. R2 is a great game, but no way it does Gears numbers or drives new sales like Gears will...
Also, holy cow and no Rock Band or GH (console based) in the top 10...

Come on MS, give us a real price drop so I can buy an extra 360 and don't have to let my brother lug mine to his dorm!

markatisu

botticus said:
Is Lego Indy the first multiplatform game to debut higher on Wii than 360?

In the US it was, the closest it got before was Guitar Hero III and that came in behind the 360 and PS2

In Europe Sega has had a few successful Wii games chart higher than their HD counterparts

I was thinking MGS4 (single ver) would have sold at least 850-900k, not disappointed but a bit shocked with all the hype (I bought it so I am not complaining)

Good PS3 sales, makes Microsofts we are #1 @ E3 just look worse since they got beat by Sony this month and now have lost their 1 year lead to Nintendo

Frillen

nib95 said:
So that means roughly 250k MGS4 bundles were sold? Amazing numbers for MGS4. Over a million including bundles. Here I was thinking (months ago mind) it would only be 600k lol. MGS4 sales smashed my expectations tbh. I thought the nature of the game (extreme hardcore orientated) and lack of install base would hurt sales.

Ahhh, fanboys lowering their expectations so that the numbers looks better. Cute, but WAY to obvious.

GreekWolf

mr_bishiuk said:
Still if Sony can get a Mgs level game out each month for the next 2 years they might catch up!
I'd pay good money to see you and tjhook...er... bloody pirate locked in a broom closet and slug it out.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Microsoft has done something; they`ll keep Sony from crushing them again in another NPD by stealing FFXIII.

Yep. This shows without a doubt what MS was really doing this E3. At the price point the PS3 would have been at and with the popularity of the franchise of Final Fantasy, The PS3 could have gained a million units in four weeks.

omg rite said:
Exactly. GREAT MGS4 numbers. A nice PS3 jump. But did anyone actually think that wouldn't happen? It's the coming months that will matter. Chances are good that 360 will outsell PS3 in August with the price cut and Madden.

Obviously PS3 can't be counted out of the race, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and act like PS3 now has the lead forever. Gotta use some logic.

After GTA4, i stopped thinking any HW bump is a guarantee, let a lone how big a bump

zeloe326

schuelma said:
I really really don't think MGS4 is going to have legs. The nature of the series/fan base makes that pretty unlikely. But we'll see!

Well I kinda agree. thats why I kept my predictions in the 300k mark, and not exagerately more. It shouldn't be hard to do consider the fact that ps3 has been around average 250-300k mark since the begining of the year. Also take into account we have some great games coming up such as Soul Caliber IV. But like you said, we will see.

ZeoVGM

Banned
bloody pirate said:
worldwide? fuck no.. its over for them.. sony closing the gap monthly

Come on. :lol

Stop, really, you sound insanely biased.

Chances are low that PS3 will ever sell more total in NA than 360. Both systems are selling like crap in Japan (one sells worse, of course). You probably have a point with Europe, of course.

You're twisting facts to make it sound worse. PS3 is doing horribly in Japan, the same as 360 in America, and I assume better than 360 in Europe.

Kusagari

After this huge month, PS3 is still only ahead of 360 this year by that much? 360 is definitely going to win out this year.

Stumpokapow said:
:lol
NG1 XBX sold 362,441 month one.
NG2 360 sold 372,700 month one.

Fixed audience?

Also, Wii Play passes 6 mln

... you mean it only includes actual sales and not ioi fairytale sales? yes.

you mean sales we can calculate.....I mean those other sales in Japan and EU are very real, just no way to accurately calculate.

Hero

Good for PS3. Excellent for Wii and NDS.

Of course, nobody is mentioning how Lego Indiana Jones was the best selling version, not surprisingly. ;) Third parties not selling on Wii doesn't apply to it, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lifetime sales for earlier MGS games:

MGS1 2.43 mln
MGS2 2.0 mln
MGS3 1.1 mln

Not including VR missions, substance, subsistance, rounded to nearest 100k because I want to provide the info without trying to circumvent the NPD ban or provide bannable info.

MikeE21286 said:
you mean sales we can calculate.....I mean those other sales in Japan and EU are very real, just no way to accurately calculate.

MGS4 in Japan is at 576k right now. No way to calculate EU.

bloody pirate said:
worldwide? fuck no.. its over for them.. sony closing the gap monthly
The thing is though, this is an NPD thread, so omg rite surely was talking about US sales.

Instead of being happy the PS3 does well, you seem to be happy that the 360 is doing worse, which is pathetic on your part.

Jel0man

Pachter:

Wii - 750K
DS - 625K
PS3 - 375K
Xbox 360 - 235K
PSP - 235K
PS2 - 160K

NPD:

Wii - 666.7K
DS - 783K
PS3 - 405.5K
Xbox 360 - 219.8K
PSP - 337.4K
PS2 - 188.8K

Owzers

Stumpokapow said:
:lol
NG1 XBX sold 362,441 month one.
NG2 360 sold 372,700 month one.

Fixed audience?

Also, Wii Play passes 6 mln

... you mean it only includes actual sales and not ioi fairytale sales? yes.

I bought NG when it came out for Xbox....and i didn't get NG 2. I think a lot of people were disappointed in how little the game advanced.

Anywho, Microsoft needs to be more agressive with the pricing and quantity of their skus. $299 20GB is nice, but if they are only going to sell out of these and then fix the price of the 60GB at $349 again, that seems rather dumb.

omg rite said:

Chances are low that PS3 will ever sell more total in NA than 360. Both systems are selling like crap in Japan (one sells worse, of course). You probably have a point with Europe, of course.

You're twisting facts to make it sound worse. PS3 is doing horribly in Japan, the same as 360 in America, and I assume better than 360 in Europe.
One sells worse is a HUGE understatement. One sells, one doesn't Worldwide ps3 will take it no matter how many smilies are posted. In the US, yeah 360 will win here.

Jel0man said:
Pachter:

Wii - 750,000
DS - 625,000
PS3 - 375,000
Xbox 360 - 235,000
PSP - 235,000
PS2 - 160,000

NPD:

Wii - 666.7K
DS - 783K
PS3 - 405.5K
Xbox 360 - 219.8K
PSP - 337.4K
PS2 - 188.8K

:O

Pachter on the conservative side. This truly is an E3 of marvels.

Flakster99

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=15886

NINTENDO NEWS: AFTER 20 MONTHS, NPD DATA SHOWS WII EMERGES AS THE NO. 1 U.S. HOME CONSOLE

Equaling its status on a worldwide basis, Wii has become the best-selling video game console in the United States. According to independent sales tracking information from the NPD Group, more than 666,000 Wii consoles sold for the month of June, and nearly 10.9 million Wii consoles have been sold in the United States in the 20 months following its November 2006 launch. The system is credited with breaking down the psychological barriers between gamers and non-gamers.

"Wii was created with the goal of expanding the gaming universe through its intuitive motion-sensing controller," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "As we have demonstrated this week during the E3 Media & Business Summit, Wii continues to pioneer new ways for people to interact with their video games and with one another."

The portable Nintendo DS finished as the top-selling U.S. video game system in June, with more than 783,000 units sold. To date, more than 20.8 million Nintendo DS has been sold in the United States.

The report also shows that six out of the top 10 best-selling games for June are made for Nintendo systems, including Guitar Hero® On Tour (No. 2), Wii Fit (No. 4), Wii Play (No. 5), Mario Kart® Wii (No. 6), LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for Wii (No. 7) and LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for Nintendo DS (No. 9).

d+pad said:
Is Wii Fit supply constrained, too? I thought the numbers would be higher in its second month...
Yup, Wii Fits are even more so. Although Mid-July, there is a literal showers of wii fits so expect bigger weekly numbers.

omg rite said:

:lol bitter tears.

TwinsDad

nib95 said:
So that means roughly 250k MGS4 bundles were sold? Amazing numbers for MGS4. Over a million including bundles. Here I was thinking (months ago mind) it would only be 600k lol. MGS4 sales smashed my expectations tbh. I thought the nature of the game (extreme hardcore orientated) and lack of install base would hurt sales.

It said nearly a million, to me meaning less then 1 million. The rumors had it at Sony having around 200K MGS4 bundles. it looks that the numbers was just about right. So I'd suspect the sales for 80gb are around 180K-225K. This would lead to a generic, almost 1 million, but still be under.

omg rite said:

I am i die hard MS fan so i want to agree with you.. but numbers dont lie.. I dont see MS outselling MS on a global basis.. period... and if its in NPD's it will be around 1k.. like the last time

again I am a MS fan... I am Green.. I represent bill gates and aaron greenberg as his apostle

Stumpokapow said:
Lifetime sales for earlier MGS games:

MGS1 2.43 mln
MGS2 2.0 mln
MGS3 1.1 mln

Not including VR missions, substance, subsistance, rounded to nearest 100k because I want to provide the info without trying to circumvent the NPD ban or provide bannable info.

MGS4 in Japan is at 576k right now. No way to calculate EU.

thanks.....I'd guess MGS4 probably around 2.5 to 3 million now WW then. Very solid

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
h3ro said:
Thank you. :)

Those numbers are wrong I believe. Way short, particularly if you include June (and even if you don't, I think)

edit - Captain Smoker's are right, I believe.

markatisu

Hero said:
Good for PS3. Excellent for Wii and NDS.

Of course, nobody is mentioning how Lego Indiana Jones was the best selling version, not surprisingly. ;) Third parties not selling on Wii doesn't apply to it, right?

See that is where the "it was a licensed movie game so it does not count" arguement comes into play

I may be mistaken but the Last Lego Star wars game on Wii outsold the 360 version. as well

I think overall it did but I do not think it debuted higher than the 360 version on NPD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Err, sorry, my year to date numbers for hardware were fucked and did not include the last two months.

Fixed YTD numbers:
Wii - 3,482,000
DS - 3,187,000
PS3 - 1,608,000
PSP - 1,482,000
360 - 1,354,000

Very sorry.

gofreak said:
I wonder if there is something to the 'commoditisation' of former exclusives, from a hardware point of view. Cos I'm really surprised this did better than GTAIV on that end.

Are they just less 'special' in this context?
?

Are you saying making it multiplatform killed the hype?

Mrbob

Those LTD do not include June.

360 has stagnated like i predicted.

Oh and :bow PS3 :bow PS3 rising to heaven.

Happy to see NG2 sell well. I was a bit worried after seeing NGDS bomba. Hopefully what is left at Tecmo can make a quality third game.

MGS4 sales are great too. MGS3 sold 777K in its first two months in a holiday season. MGS4 sells nearly a million in one month. Nice sales bump.

bloody pirate said:
I am i die hard MS fan so i want to agree with you.. but numbers dont lie.. I dont see MS outselling MS on a global basis.. period... and if its in NPD's it will be around 1k.. like the last time

again I am a MS fan... I am Green.. I represent bill gates and aaron greenberg as his apostle

we're not buying it tj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom