• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HarmoKnight (Game Freak, 3DS eShop) review thread

zroid

Banned
I don't know if this game really needs a review thread, but since the OT isn't posted yet and the usual sites are putting theirs up now, what the heck.

Metascore: 78 (7 reviews aggregated) -- 3/27 @ 3:30pm EDT

CVG: 7.6/10
Chris Scullion said:
It may sound contradictory to suggest that the game is both too unforgiving (with the note timing) and too lenient (with top grade thresholds) at the same time, but this is proof if it was ever needed that two opposing problems don't cancel each other out.

But such problems won't be what you will remember Harmoknight for. It is a charming game, packed with colour and a rhythm platforming mechanic that takes a while to get used to but is rewarding once you're in the swing. It's a little too short considering it's one of the most expensive download-only 3DS games, but those six hours you'll spend with it will press all the right buttons.

NintendoLife: 8/10
Damien McFerran said:
HarmoKnight manages to combine attractive cartoon-like visuals with engaging, rhythm-based gameplay to create an experience which can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with genre classics like Vib Ribbon, Gitaroo Man and PaRappa the Rappa. There’s enough content and gameplay here to justify a full-price retail release, so the fact that Nintendo has delivered this at a lower price point for download speaks volumes about the company’s attitude to the gradual shift from physical to digital distribution. It’s not entirely perfect — some of the music is a little on the weak side and unless you’re a dedicated score-chaser, the longevity could be questionable — but while it lasts, HarmoKnight is a pleasure to play and experience. Hopefully Game Freak’s developers will be encouraged to step from out of the shadow of Pikachu and produce similarly unique and entertaining titles in the near future.

Destructoid: 9/10
Tony Ponce said:
As a whole, HarmoKnight is a wonderful bundle of charm and joy that doesn't really punish failure but rather encourages perseverance and dedication. There isn't even a "Game Over" when you die! Instead, the screen reads, "Oh Dear..." Reminds me of a mother who picks up a child who fell off the jungle gym, dusts him off, and gently urges him to try again. It's such a minor touch, but it's nonetheless uplifting. Maybe I'm sentimental like that.

It's been seven years since Game Freak last made a non-Pokémon title. HarmoKnight feels like the promising start of many wonderful new experiences to come, so I can only hope we don't have to wait another seven years for a follow-up.

Gaming Age: B+
Dustin Chadwell said:
The gameplay and unique take on what we’ve come to expect from rhythm focused games is well worth the asking price. There’s a hefty amount of content in place for your money, and it’s easily one of the better eShop offerings I’ve had a chance to check out in recent months. And even if you’re not a fan of Pokémon, don’t let the Game Freak hype scare you away here, there’s absolutely nothing comparable between the two IP’s other than some creature design similarities. It’s a wholly unique attempt at bringing something new and interesting to the handheld market, and for the most part it works really, really well.

Cheat Code Central: 3.5/5
Becky Cunningham said:
While it's not for everyone, HarmoKnight is a great choice for many rhythm game fans. The music is enjoyable and the gameplay carries an appealing challenge. It's a blast for anybody who can get into the groove of the levels, and for those who crave extra challenge, all the main platforming levels can be played in “fast mode.” Players are encouraged to check out the game's demo, which is now available on the eShop. Anybody who enjoys the music and action but hopes to see a steadily increasing damage curve through the game should definitely pick it up. Anybody who finds that the action doesn't quite click with them should probably give it a pass, because the game's basic flow and strict rhythmic requirements remain consistent throughout.

Digital Chumps: 6.4/10
Greg Schardein said:
It’s the fact that the music is so forgettable that made me have such an average opinion of this game. Had the music been Pokémon themed songs, all of the songs could have been memorable and would have doubled as nostalgic mediums for fans of the series (and for non-fans, they could appreciate the series’ wonderful music). I liked playing through the 5 unlockable Pokémon songs in the game but these were more of a teaser to me and reminded me that I could have been playing songs from that series.

All in all, the game is relatively short (about 5 hours for the skilled gamer), though appropriately portioned for a downloadable title. However, at $15, I wish there was a little more content to be had (possibly some sort of online features or level editor). Had it been something closer to $5, I feel like the amount of content would be just right.

Nintendo's been kind this week. I've been going to town on Luigi's Mansion, and this is definitely getting bought tomorrow. Glad to see positive reviews.

massoluk

Banned
I'm getting it, but damn if the boss battle in the demo wasn't a humbling experience. Demo was supposed to be easy, dude. You're not supposed to crush someone spirit with the demo.

indeed :p

What 6.4? Dude just flipped his 9.

Not even sure what a digital chump is, but it was listed among the new reviews so I linked it. I put more stock in my impressions of the the demo than any review though, and the demo was fun. Kinda hard though.

zroid

Banned
Not even sure what a digital chump is, but it was listed among the new reviews so I linked it. I put more stock in my impressions of the the demo than any review though, and the demo was fun. Kinda hard though.

Seems the main complaint most of these reviewers have is the music. I guess you can't really determine that based on two levels, one of which doesn't even have an original composition. Honestly kind of hard to believe a Game Freak title wouldn't have great tunes, but even if it's true, I can live with it. Everything else is really solid, and it's addictive as hell.

big youth

The reviews sound in line with my thoughts on the demo. Seemed like a fine game but I'll pass in favor of better 3DS games.

stuminus3

At very least it's gonna be a great way to pass some time until the freaking Wii U version of Runner 2 gets fixed.

DaBoss

Seems the main complaint most of these reviewers have is the music. I guess you can't really determine that based on two levels, one of which doesn't even have an original composition. Honestly kind of hard to believe a Game Freak title wouldn't have great tunes, but even if it's true, I can live with it. Everything else is really solid, and it's addictive as hell.

I'm pretty sure those part of the gaming press can have access to the full game early.

OwlyKnees

Will this have a midnight release in Europe?

I understand that retail games get a midnight release, but not sure about digital only games.

Kokonoe

Banned
2013 is the greatest year ever in handheld gaming, without a doubt.

I disagree.

Even after looking at all the games coming out this year and the ones that are out now I haven't seen anything to me that's anything spectacular, and the only game I'm truly interested in on the 3DS is Pokemon X.

Day one for this. I love me some rhythm games, and I love me some Game Freak.

Put the two together, and you got sheer bliss.

vareon

It’s the fact that the music is so forgettable that made me have such an average opinion of this game. Had the music been Pokémon themed songs, all of the songs could have been memorable and would have doubled as nostalgic mediums for fans of the series (and for non-fans, they could appreciate the series’ wonderful music). I liked playing through the 5 unlockable Pokémon songs in the game but these were more of a teaser to me and reminded me that I could have been playing songs from that series.

This snippet sounds like he just wanted a Pokemon rhythm game instead of originals, because all the music in the demo are good.

Top Bottom