• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Finally got all my downloads sorted and have all three films on disc now. I scrubbed through them just to make sure the discs worked, and Harmy really has done a fantastic job on these. I think in some ways Adywan's colour correction is more accurate and consistent overall, but these reconstructions are incredible.

Some stuff (like Lapti Nek) is more obviously an insert (since there is currently no remastered or HD source for these scenes), but other elements (like the original Sarlaac pit or Bespin's windows in ESB) are so seamless it's crazy.

Like many others here, I am not against many of the SE upgrades and tweaks. But as it's been said many times, all we want is the choice. These discs are a damn good start.

I also have the dark_Jedi V3 GOUT upscaled releases, which are technically the closest there is to an existing version of the theatrical trilogy from the source.

androvsky

Marty Chinn said:
Heck, forget ROTJ, I still think Star Wars holds up visually today. Especially after they cleaned it up and remastered it. Some shots look like it was done yesterday.

I agree for the most part, but there's a shot in the Death Star battle that's used a couple times that looks super cheap. It's the first-person view from inside an X-Wing with explosions going off on the surface, but unlike every other shot it's obviously a cheap plastic model with sparklers on it. I couldn't believe it when I went to see the Special Edition in the theater and that shot was unchanged.

LestradeTGQ said:
Finally got all my downloads sorted and have all three films on disc now. I scrubbed through them just to make sure the discs worked, and Harmy really has done a fantastic job on these. I think in some ways Adywan's colour correction is more accurate and consistent overall, but these reconstructions are incredible.

Some stuff (like Lapti Nek) is more obviously an insert (since there is currently no remastered or HD source for these scenes), but other elements (like the original Sarlaac pit or Bespin's windows in ESB) are so seamless it's crazy.

Like many others here, I am not against many of the SE upgrades and tweaks. But as it's been said many times, all we want is the choice. These discs are a damn good start.

I also have the dark_Jedi V3 GOUT upscaled releases, which are technically the closest there is to an existing version of the theatrical trilogy from the source.

The one thing that bugs me is the dewback next to the cantina in Mos Eisley. It has a jitter to it when the camera moves. It's clearly been edited in and it's just not matched up right.

androvsky said:
I agree for the most part, but there's a shot in the Death Star battle that's used a couple times that looks super cheap. It's the first-person view from inside an X-Wing with explosions going off on the surface, but unlike every other shot it's obviously a cheap plastic model with sparklers on it. I couldn't believe it when I went to see the Special Edition in the theater and that shot was unchanged.

Ya, there's a few things that stand out, but stuff like aboard the Tantive IV look current which is amazing given that the film is over 30 years old. Even more amazing is how awesome 2001 looks on Blu Ray.

Chiggs

Gold Member
androvsky said:

I think 2001 holds up better than A New Hope. Far too many questionable/cheap shots that occur during the Death Star battle.

Gvaz

Banned
Holy shit, I'm watching the hd version of episode 1....and he totally removed the puppet version of yoda and replaced it with an 3D model. What the everloving fuck lucas

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Gvaz said:
Holy shit, I'm watching the hd version of episode 1....and he totally removed the puppet version of yoda and replaced it with an 3D model. What the everloving fuck lucas
Meh, the puppet they used in episode 1 was pretty wonky (much moreso than the old yoda puppet). I could care less what he does with episodes 1-3, they're dead to me.

Aku-Audi

skullwolfgp said:
Meh, the puppet they used in episode 1 was pretty wonky (much moreso than the old yoda puppet). I could care less what he does with episodes 1-3, they're dead to me.
caring.png

JB1981

Watched Jedi last night, forced 1080i thru PS3 by de-selecting 720p/480p/480i. It will not force 1080p but the PQ is tremendous. Beyond happy with these!

The Hermit

Sorry for the bump, but I think it is kinda appropriate.

In the light of the Star Wars news this week, I decided to look about the Old Trilogy in HD but without Lucas bullshit.
Unfortunately there no official release of that...
So I was searching and looks like a bunch of guys did this "despecialized" version that's pretty much what I want.

I am downloading them right now, but I watched this youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY video and it looks like they were very thorough.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The emperor/vader scene was redone. Bunch of visual stuff was added to cloud city. And that dialogue change for vader. Annoyed/disgruntled "Prepare my shuttle" to "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Benign change, but the delivery of the new line is odd.

Oh there was some added shots of the scene with luke in the cave.

This is comparing original to blu ray. Compared to the late 90's rereleases there's probably not much different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not considered this but might try these versions, along with the 'machete' viewing order (IV, V, II, III, VI)

Sorry for the long bump, but I wanted to watch A New Hope before Episode 7 comes out.

The last time I enjoyed A New Hope is the DVD version when I borrowed it from the library. Lately, the later releases have horrendous CGI.

Is v2.5 the best version so far? I mean are there more recent versions?

jett

D-Member
A few months ago I watched the entire "despecialized" trilogy, it was fantastic. Despite the fact a lot of the content is derived from different sources, you don't really notice it. And all of the original SFX hold up just fine when you're not nitpicking it frame by frame.

The Special Editions really were just a bunch of unnecessary crap.

Bodacious

Banned
Sorry for the long bump, but I wanted to watch A New Hope before Episode 7 comes out.

The last time I enjoyed A New Hope is the DVD version when I borrowed it from the library. Lately, the later releases have horrendous CGI.

Is v2.5 the best version so far? I mean are there more recent versions?

Absolutely.

And just to make sure, the current "best" versions are

A New Hope, v. 2.5

Empire Strikes Back, v. 2.0

Return of the Jedi, v. 1.0

Is that correct???

Kvik

I still can't believe they royally fucked up the colour grading in 2011 Blu-ray release. Might as well call Leia The Princess of Red Lobster.

Harmy's is the definitive edition of OSWT as far as I am concerned.

And just to make sure, the current "best" versions are

A New Hope, v. 2.5

Empire Strikes Back, v. 2.0

Return of the Jedi, v. 1.0

Yup. Both Star Wars and Empire are in 1080p now, with multiple soundtracks (5.1, 2.0, Mono, commentaries) and Jedi is still only 720p for now, but he's currently working on updating that one as well.

SURGEdude

Yup. Both Star Wars and Empire are in 1080p now, with multiple soundtracks (5.1, 2.0, Mono, commentaries) and Jedi is still only 720p for now, but he's currently working on updating that one as well.

Didn't know this was a thing. Thanks guys! Might not need to pull out the laserdisc player anymore.

I haven't watched the despecialized editions, but does the 2.5 edition of New Hope still lack the Force fanfare as the rebel ships dive into the Death Star like the 2004 DVDs do?

I haven't watched the despecialized editions, but does the 2.5 edition of New Hope still lack the Force fanfare as the rebel ships dive into the Death Star like the 2004 DVDs do?

77 Dolby Six-Track - it's there
77 Dolby Stereo - it's there
77 Mono mix - it's there (loudest version of it, too)
85 Laserdisc mix - it's there
93 Definitive Edition mix - it's there (seems to be the quietest version, next to the 2004 DVD mix, where it disappears completely)

93 Definitive Edition mix - it's there (seems to be the quietest version, next to the 2004 DVD mix, where it disappears completely)
So which version does the Harmy version use? The omission of that cue always bothered me on the DVD.

Which is the best one?

Which is the best one?

I guess it depends. For overall sound quality, Dolby Six-Track. But if you're going to factor nostalgia into the mix, then the answers can be different. There are differences across the mixes, lines dropped/added, effects processed differently - the kind of stuff you don't really know you've noticed before until it starts to play differently. In those instances, you might objectively KNOW that the Six Track is the best sounding mix, but you might prefer the Laserdisc mix, or if you're REALLY old (like me) you might dig the mono mix, even though it's obviously thinner and a little harsh sounding in the louder moments, although then again - they put a LOT of work into that Mono Mix because they figured that was going to be the one most people heard since most theaters didn't have a fully tricked out sound system back then.

Can't seem to get a hold of this, files missing there, deleted here etc.

Damn, I wish Disney would collaborate with Harmy and put this on Bluray officially.

Branduil

Can't seem to get a hold of this, files missing there, deleted here etc.

Damn, I wish Disney would collaborate with Harmy and put this on Bluray officially.

I imagine there might be legal issues with that. In any case, if they were going to release the originals, I'm sure they'd just make a digital master from the actual films.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Man. The return of the jedi special edition is borderline unmatchable.

The jabba palace song
The ruined sarlac pit.
Burp humor.

Why lucas why??

JeTmAn81

I finally got this working correctly for Episode IV on my PS3 and watched it today. It still holds up and looks great in HD. You can't even tell that the Jawa sandcrawler is a model in that moving shot.

gabbo

Just saw A New Hope despecialized and it was fantastic, thanks OP! Nothing better to get into the mood for The Force Awakens.

I wish I knew where to get a hold of these. I've looked into them before, but it's a run around to find copies online, even though they definitely look like it'd be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom