• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Knowles Allegedly Assaulted Woman and Drafthouse Owners Didn’t take action.

kevin1025

Banned
He is now posting articles pretending to be his sister. Even writing personal anecdotes on her behalf like he does, writing about how she used to steal his toys. And she magically is interested in all the same things and writes the exact same.

Anyway, me made a mistake, when posting as her.

DKsRE0cUQAAwbZz.jpg

Yep, posing as a woman will surely help your image, Harry.

Jesus.

killroy87

Hmm, this is super weird. I'm worried it's going to end with something super drastic, and I don't know what that is. Harry clearly isn't handling this in the best way, and now he's pretending to be someone else? I dunno, something about this seems really off to me, that's bizarre. I hope he doesn't do something stupid...

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Hmm, this is super weird. I'm worried it's going to end with something super drastic, and I don't know what that is. Harry clearly isn't handling this in the best way, and now he's pretending to be someone else? I dunno, something about this seems really off to me, that's bizarre. I hope he doesn't do something stupid...

He's handling it like a child would.

Did thy shut down the comments on this page?

Apparently AICN has shutdown the talkbacks (their version of comments) on everything since this story broke.

Linkura

He is now posting articles pretending to be his sister. Even writing personal anecdotes on her behalf like he does, writing about how she used to steal his toys. And she magically is interested in all the same things and writes the exact same.

Anyway, me made a mistake, when posting as her.

DKsRE0cUQAAwbZz.jpg

What in the fuck

Yep, posing as a woman will surely help your image, Harry.

Jesus.

This guy makes Tim League look like the greatest PR manager in the world.

As a side note, I read one of the earlier articles posted by Harry's 'sister,' and it seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of sentence structure runs in the family.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This guy makes Tim League look like the greatest PR manager in the world.

As a side note, I read one of the earlier articles posted by Harry's 'sister,' and it seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of sentence structure runs in the family.

Or they're written by the same person [thinking emoji]

The whole thing is just sort of sad for me. I have been checking out AICN since the 90's. Sure the reviews were shit but it's been a familiar place for about two decades. I found better sources for my film and TV news about a decade ago, even doing work as a critic myself, but I would always find time for AICN. There's a nostalgia factor and familiarity that brought me back. It's bad for me but it's a lot like comfort food.

Hearing the news that Harry has been allegedly assaulting women all this time is just depressing. Such a sad and terrible way to see all this end; especially now that he's pretending to be his sister.

Maridia

Fucking hell. Even though he's only mentioned briefly and Billy says they're on good terms, I wonder how bad Nordling was to him too, as I'm kind of a fan of his stuff post-AICN.

You realize that Billy is very possibly the worst high profile film writer of all time, was unilaterally hired by Harry, and spammed the site with multiple Miami-only giveaways per day, right? It's not a huge surprise that he wasn't treated like a friend by the other writers. And it's not surprising that his appearance and continued presence put everyone in an awkward situation, since no one other than Harry could have (very deservedly) fired him. His attempt to correlate what happened to him with sexual assault does not make me feel better about him.

Random Human

That's pretty damn fucked up. As a writer who struggled for years to actually get paid doing it, it's infuriating that a site as successful as AICN wasn't paying some of its contributors.

It's even more fucked up since apparently Harry spent years turning down large amounts of money from VCs who wanted a piece of that early internet action. The guy could've turned AICN into something major, but instead he had no ambition and wanted to have no bosses, so it just withered away.

Marcel

Harry Knowles being a pervy weirdo and a creep was basically a whispered about thing when I circulated in the Chicago film writing and film culture circles and I'm kind of surprised it took this long for anything to come of it.

Edit for clarity: I never saw anything personally but it was mostly rumor, stories and so forth so I'm not confirming or denying anything.

Dan-o

You realize that Billy is very possibly the worst high profile film writer of all time, was unilaterally hired by Harry, and spammed the site with multiple Miami-only giveaways per day, right?
honestly, I didn't know that. I appreciate the clarification. Sounds like all of these dudes were/are assholes, and recollections like Billy's aren't helping the matter at all, which is probably the intent.

You realize that Billy is very possibly the worst high profile film writer of all time, was unilaterally hired by Harry, and spammed the site with multiple Miami-only giveaways per day, right? It's not a huge surprise that he wasn't treated like a friend by the other writers. And it's not surprising that his appearance and continued presence put everyone in an awkward situation, since no one other than Harry could have (very deservedly) fired him. His attempt to correlate what happened to him with sexual assault does not make me feel better about him.
And him never getting paid?

Maridia

And him never getting paid?

That sucks. However, per Billy's own account, Mr. Beaks (Jeremy Smith, still one of my favorite film writers) wasn't being paid, either. It's not apparent whether Harry was paying anyone, and, per Billy himself, the no pay issue (which, again, is abhorrent), wasn't exclusive to Billy.

My point is just that Capone and Quint had every reason to be upset about Billy's work, and concerned about what he was doing to the site.

The whole debacle was Harry's fault, but Billy the Kidd was, in many ways, the public face and executor of the downfall of AICN.

That sucks. However, per Billy's own account, Mr. Beaks (Jeremy Smith, still one of my favorite film writers) wasn't being paid, either. It's not apparent whether Harry was paying anyone.
Billy says some were getting paid, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Firing him in that shitty way isn't how you handle hiring someone who sucks. Circling the wagons for Harry Fucking Knowles will prove to have been a bad idea, I don't hesitate to say.

Random Human

That sucks. However, per Billy's own account, Mr. Beaks (Jeremy Smith, still one of my favorite film writers) wasn't being paid, either. It's not apparent whether Harry was paying anyone, and, per Billy himself, the no pay issue (which, again, is abhorrent), wasn't exclusive to Billy.

My point is just that Capone and Quint had every reason to be upset about Billy's work, and concerned about what he was doing to the site.

I'm having a hard time seeing what this Billy guy could've done to the site's reputation that Knowles hadn't been doing for ten years.

Maridia

I'm having a hard time seeing what this Billy guy could've done to the site's reputation that Knowles hadn't been doing for ten years.

Lots and lots of Miami-exclusive giveaways.

And then his reviews were just, like, a random guy off the street with no perspective or knowledge of film describing what they thought of something. Harry sucking had been a constant for the site, and had been offset by the writers around him. Billy was the first Harry-tier (though shitty in, like, a diametrically opposite way) writer that Harry had ever hired.

And, probably per Harry's instructions, he posted about 10x more than the other writers combined during his tenure, which I didn't stick around to see the end of, since free screenings in Miami are of little interest to me.

Again, I don't support any business failing to pay their employees. I'm just saying that I get why he and his (likely Harry-mandated) contribution might not have been a favorite of his coworkers.

killroy87

How do you guys feel about most other film sites not really covering the whole Alamo/Drafthouse/Harry Knowles news? Most sites that have picked it up have been relatively removed from the industry. I get why Birth Movies Death doesn't cover the Tim League stuff, since that site is basically a funcitoning ad for Alamo Drafthouse, but I feel it's a bit tacky for sites like Slashfilm to just ignore it. I know it's a grey area, and a lot of the writers have close relationships with each other, I just feel it's kind of their duty to at least report objectively what's going on.

I dunno, I can see both sides, but it feels slightly icky to me that a lot of film sites are acting as if none of this is going on.

Jesus, I just read this guy's review of Heroes and Blade 2...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30606
I've got a moral quandry about the show. Hayden Panettiere, born August 21, 1989, now 17 (legal in Texas, which is important, because her character is in Odessa, Texas) as the character, Claire Bennett. She's adorably cute, constantly in her cheerleader uniform. Ok - now never mind that she fulfills the underage cheerleading limber blond virginal demographic. That's pretty delicious.

It gets even grosser from there (like vomit inducing).

How has this existed for so long?

DeathyBoy

Banned

The whole debacle was Harry's fault, but Billy the Kidd was, in many ways, the public face and executor of the downfall of AICN.

Sorry, what?

Dude was a blip note in AICN history, and acting like he's the beginning of the end of AUCN is some stretching shit.

Acorn

Man what a creepy manchild. His attempts at writing as a woman have me convinced he hasn't spoken to a one for more than 3 minutes.

How do you guys feel about most other film sites not really covering the whole Alamo/Drafthouse/Harry Knowles news? Most sites that have picked it up have been relatively removed from the industry. I get why Birth Movies Death doesn't cover the Tim League stuff, since that site is basically a funcitoning ad for Alamo Drafthouse, but I feel it's a bit tacky for sites like Slashfilm to just ignore it. I know it's a grey area, and a lot of the writers have close relationships with each other, I just feel it's kind of their duty to at least report objectively what's going on.

I dunno, I can see both sides, but it feels slightly icky to me that a lot of film sites are acting as if none of this is going on.

I've been thinking the same thing. Nothing from comingsoon or any other outlet that I've seen. Seems really odd given how powerful he was for a long time. Yes AICN hasn't been what is was for years but it's still news worthy and sites not covering it seem suspect to me.

Top Bottom