• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter Prequel in it's Enitireity-800 Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
Wizardry is genetic, the humans could just invent a drug or virus to turn wizards into humans, like the 'cure' in X-Men, or make all the wizards infertile.

Wizards are only good at wizard stuff, and people are kidding themselves if they think an army couldn't beat a shit ton of wizards who aren't even trained in combat. All you learn as a wizard is basic self defense against other weak magic spells, how to levitate feathers and fix broken glass. The average wizard could probably be killed by an unarmed fighter lol.
I wonder if Wizards could cure radiation poisoning, their magical healing seem to be pretty "blunt".

Shanadeus

Banned
Rentahamster said:
A bezoar is a stone (actually a ball of compacted hair) that is removed from the stomach of a goat, and the ingestion of such a stone is said to cure most poisons.
Considering that radiation poisoning isn't really poisoning I doubt they could cure it with the use of antidotes.

way more

Mechanical Snowman said:
Wizardry is genetic, the humans could just invent a drug or virus to turn wizards into humans, like the 'cure' in X-Men, or make all the wizards infertile.

No, it's a choice. They choose to be that way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shanadeus said:
Considering that radiation poisoning isn't really poisoning I doubt they could cure it with the use of antidotes.
Who says that it couldn't? It's magic.

Or use any number of healing potions, charms, or spells.

Igo

Bit-Bit said:
Its been established that wizards do all of their warfare covertly. I'm sure the wizards already controlled the leaders of the world. Look at the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic.

Pretty much this. It would be too eazy for the Wizards to inflitrate and manipulate world governments.

If someone like Voldemort were leading the Wizards the war wouldn't last a week. A few aurors/death eaters casting forbidden/dark magic in major cities and military bases would bring about a quick conclusion to the war. Stuff like the cursed fire spell that Crabbe cast in the room of requirement. A few of those in strategic places and it's gameover.

Looking back, there's a lot of stuff that wasn't explained properly but I really enjoyed the series. That said, where the hell is the HP encyclopedia?

Shanadeus

Banned
More om medical healing:

The Medical Magic is one branch of magic that helps to cure and treat magical injuries and diseases. Wizard medicine is well ahead of its Muggle counterpart. While Muggle medicine largely attempts to stimulate the body's own healing and defence systems, magic can simply impose well-being. Healing is not as simple as ordinary spells, but should be able to cure minor injuries in a negligible amount of time and just about every other problem (even missing or boneless limbs) given somewhat longer. Conventional ailments, save from large-scale neurological damage, appear to be very easy to fix. Of course, a number of problems in a setting like this do not qualify under conventional ailments. Despite their advanced medical "technology", wizards apparently cannot use magic to cure minor inherent conditions such as myopia.

Wizards had a cure for the common cold for years: it is known as Pepperup Potion and is characterised by the patient emitting steam from their ears.

Wizards do not appear to make use of vaccinations, however: a common cause of death appears to be dragon pox.

Wizard doctors are known as Healers and Mediwizards. While Madam Poppy Pomfrey runs a hospital wing at Hogwarts, the central establishment, in England, for this purpose is the St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.

As Madam Poppy Pomfrey is said to be a matron, there may be different ranks of nurses like there is in the Muggle world. For example: Matron, Sister, Staff Nurse, Nurse, and Student Nurse

Various magical diseases, such as "dragon pox", "spattergroit" and "Vanishing Sickness," are treated in St Mungo's. Wizards tend to view Muggle medicine as primitive and barbaric.

There seem to be a couple of limitations to medical healing which scientific medicine has no problem whatsoever with.
My analysis of the way medical magic work is that it revolves a lot around what's natural and not. Like, they cannot correct any "problems" you've been born with whereas they can repair broken arms like it's a cough. Another guess of mine is that they cannot repair damages that require the creation of a something that is not already a part of what is in need of repair.

Such as, you can repair a broken arm, even removing the bones in the process and grow new ones, but you cannot create a whole arm from scratch. You can repair entities such as "arm", "eye" and more but you cannot create these where they've been lost.

I'm basing this completely on Moody not having a foot and an eye, though if he lost those body parts due to a magical wound I guess that would invalidate this hypothesis.

But let's assume this is the case, medical magic cannot create but rather mend and repair (which I believe seem to be the case in other areas of magic, food apparently cannot be created from scratch but once you have food you can create more out of it).

What happens when you get radiation poisoning then?

The radiation will begin to destroy the cells in the body that divide rapidly. These including blood, GI tract, reproductive and hair cells, and harms their DNA and RNA of surviving cells.

Basically, the harm has already been done. It's not an ongoing "poisoning" per se but rather you just have an ongoing display of symptoms of an event that have already occurred and left it's marks on the body.

The cells in your body has been altered and you're now experiencing the effects of this, your body is slowly ticking towards death and all you can do is try to help your cells and prolong your life.

Now, that the damage is on a cellular level shouldn't pose a problem for medical healing - magic doesn't concern itself with details.
But I could see how a change of something that makes it look "natural" which I've interpreted as being a state. Your new radiated body is the new state of your body, while it's a damaged version of your old body it's not something that on it's own, through natural means, will ever return to your original state.

Thus the new radiated body is what is "natural", which means that they cannot heal it.

Pollux

Shanadeus said:
More om medical healing:

There seem to be a couple of limitations to medical healing which scientific medicine has no problem whatsoever with.
My analysis of the way medical magic work is that it revolves a lot around what's natural and not. Like, they cannot correct any "problems" you've been born with whereas they can repair broken arms like it's a cough. Another guess of mine is that they cannot repair damages that require the creation of a something that is not already a part of what is in need of repair.

Such as, you can repair a broken arm, even removing the bones in the process and grow new ones, but you cannot create a whole arm from scratch. You can repair entities such as "arm", "eye" and more but you cannot create these where they've been lost.

I'm basing this completely on Moody not having a foot and an eye, though if he lost those body parts due to a magical wound I guess that would invalidate this hypothesis.

But let's assume this is the case, medical magic cannot create but rather mend and repair (which I believe seem to be the case in other areas of magic, food apparently cannot be created from scratch but once you have food you can create more out of it).

What happens when you get radiation poisoning then?

Basically, the harm has already been done. It's not an ongoing "poisoning" per se but rather you just have an ongoing display of symptoms of an event that have already occurred and left it's marks on the body.

The cells in your body has been altered and you're now experiencing the effects of this, your body is slowly ticking towards death and all you can do is try to help your cells and prolong your life.

Now, that the damage is on a cellular level shouldn't pose a problem for medical healing - magic doesn't concern itself with details.
But I could see how a change of something that makes it look "natural" which I've interpreted as being a state. Your new radiated body is the new state of your body, while it's a damaged version of your old body it's not something that on it's own, through natural means, will ever return to your original state.

Thus the new radiated body is what is "natural", which means that they cannot heal it.

Wow. thats really good.

Shanadeus

Banned
To further explain why a radiated body would be considered a new, natural state:

The broken arm is not in a natural state as your body will try to mend the broken arms and return it to the original state - meaning that the state it's in is not "natural".
Here magic can come along and help you by repairing the arm that is in a damaged state that your body does not recognize as a new state.

Someone who is born with a flawed eye on the is in comparison already in a "natural" state that your body will not try to change and revert to something else.

Your radiated body on the other hand has been altered on a fundamental level really, it's not a matter of damage as much as it is about change. Sure, a lot of damages will be created from this new state but it's the same thing as the eye above - your body cannot on it's own repair this fundamental change because it's the new state which means that magic is pointless here just as it is pointless when it comes to something you're born with.

Shanadeus

Banned
Igo said:
Pretty much this. It would be too eazy for the Wizards to inflitrate and manipulate world governments.

If someone like Voldemort were leading the Wizards the war wouldn't last a week. A few aurors/death eaters casting forbidden/dark magic in major cities and military bases would bring about a quick conclusion to the war. Stuff like the cursed fire spell that Crabbe cast in the room of requirement. A few of those in strategic places and it's gameover.

Looking back, there's a lot of stuff that wasn't explained properly but I really enjoyed the series. That said, where the hell is the HP encyclopedia?
Let's assume that the muggle world are aware of these problems (they need to be informed of the existence of wizards in some way if there's going to be war).

I could see the muggles going for a more decentralized command structure that would result in the wizards dividing up the few skilled wizards they have between way to many people to control.

What a lot of people don't think of is that magic isn't all that, there is a lot of limitations to it.

Pollux

Shanadeus said:
Let's assume that the muggle world are aware of these problems (they need to be informed of the existence of wizards in some way if there's going to be war).

I could see the muggles going for a more decentralized command structure that would result in the wizards dividing up the few skilled wizards they have between way to many people to control.

What a lot of people don't think of is that magic isn't all that, there is a lot of limitations to it.

This. There is no indication that a your average wizard would be able to do anything against trained muggle soldiers. Average civilians wouldn't be able to react quick enough to fight back if taken by surprise, muggles or wizards. The wizard community is NOT trained to fight a war, Muggles are much better at war than wizards are. from what we've seen, and we can only go by what we've seen. we're not debating fanfiction here, just the books lol

Igo

I don't see how the Military would be able to stop a single dark wizard under an invisibility cloak. Someone like Snape or Voldemort could probably do in the whole UK military and government in under a day. Teleport in, cast stupidly powerful Fiendfyre spell and then teleport elsewhere to do the same. I don't even think Wizards as powerful as Volde and Dumbledore would be required.

Shanadeus

Banned
Igo said:
I don't see how the Military would be able to stop a single dark wizard under an invisibility cloak. Someone like Snape or Voldemort could probably do in the whole UK military and government in under a day. Teleport in, cast stupidly powerful Fiendfyre spell and then teleport elsewhere to do the same. I don't even think Wizards as powerful as Volde and Dumbledore would be required.
Wizards like them are basically nuclear weapons.

Muggles can be a lot more destructive.

Salazar

sohois said:
Avada Kevadra is the most lethal spell in the HP universe because its unblockable by other wizards. There are spells described in the books that could slaughter hundreds of muggles at once but are useless against wizards who can simply block them using magic.

tumblr_lgn86aDSXo1qeg5l5o1_500.gif

Igo

Shanadeus said:
Wizards like them are basically nuclear weapons.

Muggles can be a lot more destructive.

I'm not desputing that. It's just that a few powerful wizards of Bellatrix's standard should be able to end any war before it properly began.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom