• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter Prequel in it's Enitireity-800 Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

DrForester said:
Sniper Rifles.

Something else about the Potterverse that confused me. They establish Squibs as worthless to Wizard society. I always wondered why Squibs wouldn't all just become master potion makers.
They probably could. We aren't introduced to very many squibs in the books. Filch is never really shown to be that intelligent, and we don't really know what Mrs. Figg did.

MisterHero

EmCeeGramr said:
"Oh so you can shoot me from miles away, eh? Well check out the pinnacle of dueling: knocking a wand out of your hand or making you disoriented!"
Harry Potter's repititive use of the spell Expelliarmus was a symbol that meant that even though he didn't want to fight, he could when it was necessary. He walks the hard line between enforcement and vengeance, which he must never cross because the entire wizarding world looks to him for inspiration.

Shanadeus

Banned
zmoney said:
Here's another thing, we never SEE what wizards can actually do. I mean come on, the "war" that they're fighting is no worse then some gang war in LA.
Maybe it's because they can't really do anything more?
Seriously, when the "war" was at it's worst you had a couple of rampaging Voldmorters that caused like what - one broken bridge, a giant attack and loose Dementors?

That does bring us to something else though.

The only real dangers from the wizarding world seem to be from magical beasts and creatures rather than the Wizards themselves - though nothing too dangerous. Giants are just big targets that any decent artillery unit could take down pretty quickly. Dragons and whatnot might require a bit more firepower but we have a couple of thousand nukes that should be able to deal with them. I could see how we might have some problems dealing with Dementors but even them we could probably lock up and jettison them into space or the sun.

stupei

zmoney said:
Here's another thing, we never SEE what wizards can actually do. I mean come on, the "war" that they're fighting is no worse then some gang war in LA.

The three forbidden curses are pretty messed up. You can kill someone with six syllables, take control of their body and actions, or torture them so severely over the span of a couple hours that they're a vegetable for the rest of their life. Not to mention Voldemort raises a zombie army after splitting his soul into several pieces so that he'll (theoretically) never die.

Plus they have Dementors. They're supposedly badass enough to incapacitate entire crowds just by being nearby, you can't kill or even injure them through non-magic means, and they can suck your soul out of your body with a single kiss.

DrForester said:
But they did say in the book that most just adapt to muggle life.

It's a fair question. I've always been a bit unclear on how much of potions is understanding the equations and formulas and how much is meant to be innate and magical ability.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ascii42 said:
They probably could. We aren't introduced to very many squibs in the books. Filch is never really shown to be that intelligent, and we don't really know what Mrs. Figg did.

But they did say in the book that most just adapt to muggle life.

Tenks

stupei said:
The three forbidden curses are pretty messed up. You can kill someone with six syllables, take control of their body and actions, or torture them so severely over the span of a couple hours that they're a vegetable for the rest of their life. Not to mention Voldemort raises a zombie army after splitting his soul into several pieces so that he'll (theoretically) never die.

Plus they have Dementors. They're supposedly badass enough to incapacitate entire crowds just by being nearby, you can't kill or even injure them through non-magic means, and they can suck your soul out of your body with a single kiss.

It takes less time to fire a bullet than to say six syllables.

Dresden

Wizards vs. Muggles in a pitched battle=Muggle win.

Wizards going into hiding, exploiting invisibility/portals, and employing mind control magic to slowly destroy muggle civilization=Wizard win.

I mean, if they want, just Imperius curse some Russian/American dudes and launch nukes.

Sealda

Banned
Wizards are basically just good at man to man combat. They probably have a few self defenses but if they do not actively defends themselves they will be easily killed. For instance, if you let Harry Potter know in advance that you are shooting him, he might be able to defend himself but if you basically snipe him from 1000 meters away or if you you inject VX/nivochok gas into their houses. They would obviously die before reacting. Its not like they have a natural defense aura around them that always guards them. Basically, unless they cast some shit they will very fast dead.

Fucking wizards.

Also, we can easily tactical nuke them. We nuke all of london and kill every wizard there easily. They would have like 1 second to react to the blast which they would never be able to. While they are sleeping. A Tsar Bomb.

Bit-Bit

Wizards are really good at hiding. So good in fact that not even other wizards can find them. Also, they don't go out into the muggle streets. They travel by fireplace, teleportation, and port key. All of these methods allow them to get to where they need to instantly. Why would they bother going into the muggle world? Think of it as they all live in giant stadiums like Harry Truman. They have no idea what goes on outside of these "stadiums".

Dresden

Sealda said:
Wizards are basically just good at man to man combat. They probably have a few self defenses but if they do not actively defends themselves they will be easily killed. For instance, if you let Harry Potter know in advance that you are shooting him, he might be able to defend himself but if you basically snipe him from 1000 meters away or if you you inject VX/nivochok gas into their houses. They would obviously die before reacting. Its not like they have a natural defense aura around them that always guards them. Basically, unless they cast some shit they will very fast dead.

Fucking wizards.

Also, we can easily tactical nuke them. We nuke all of london and kill every wizard there easily. They would have like 1 second to react to the blast which they would never be able to. While they are sleeping. A Tsar Bomb.
Yeah, with millions of expendable Brits, right?

Wizards can just work their way into muggle society, take over politicians, take over the economy, and take over the armies of the world without anyone knowing about it. They could take control and rule over muggles without the poor saps ever knowing what hit them.

Voldemort was an old-timer schmuck.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dresden said:

Long as we evacuate the cast/crew for Top Gear and Doctor Who, as well as The Queen so James doesn't cry, I think it's worth it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Bit-Bit said:
Wizards are really good at hiding. So good in fact that not even other wizards can find them. Also, they don't go out into the muggle streets. They travel by fireplace, teleportation, and port key. All of these methods allow them to get to where they need to instantly. Why would they bother going into the muggle world? Think of it as they all live in giant stadiums like Harry Truman. They have no idea what goes on outside of these "stadiums".
So kids never play outside?

Shanadeus

Banned
Dresden said:
Evacuate them then, then bomb the shit out of it.
And while evacuating you get the opportunity of capturing some hapless wizards that you can then interrogate and possibly use to gain access to muggle restricted magical areas.

The average wizard has an IQ of 90 so I don't see how it'd be that hard to spot a weirdly dressed fellow among all the evacuates.

stupei

Tenks said:
It takes less time to fire a bullet than to say six syllables.

I didn't actually say at any point that the average wizard could beat a gun.

There's a reason Voldemort wanted the giants and werewolves on his side, even though he thinks they're scum. And given how a huge part of their plan to take over wizarding London involved placing influential people in key positions in government, I doubt they'd go the brute force route until they already had control over enough people of influence to slow military responses for a while.

quadriplegicjon said:
So kids never play outside?

Most of the wizarding families we see in the books live out in the middle of nowhere. Luna's house is just as secluded as the Weasley's. Sure, you have a few examples of rich families like Sirius' in London, but their children certainly aren't playing out in the street with poor people, muggle or otherwise.

sohois said:
Avada Kevadra is the most lethal spell in the HP universe because its unblockable by other wizards. There are spells described in the books that could slaughter hundreds of muggles at once but are useless against wizards who can simply block them using magic.

Yeah, the spell Harry gets out of Snape's potions book is pretty ridiculous. It rips Draco's torso apart in one hit, and it's not clear if it's the kind of spell that could be directed at a crowd instead of only one target.

sohois

Dresden said:
That's what happens when the most lethal spell they have is basically the equivalent of a six shooter.

Avada Kevadra is the most lethal spell in the HP universe because its unblockable by other wizards. There are spells described in the books that could slaughter hundreds of muggles at once but are useless against wizards who can simply block them using magic.

Pollux

sohois said:

OK and I'm sure wizards can survive being in the blast radius of a cruise missile.

Bit-Bit

zmoney said:

OK and I'm sure wizards can survive being in the blast radius of a cruise missile.

They have protection spells for everything. I'm sure they can just get a few aurors together and cast some protection bubble over the wizarding communities and not be harmed by nuclear bombs or missiles. There was one particular witch who actually enjoyed being burned at the stake. She thought it was hilarious!

sohois

zmoney said:

The question is, why are groups of wizards gathering together in open spaces that are easily targetable by cruise missile? Particularly when you consider that they have the powers of teleportation & invisibility, how would muggles ever know when to strike with missiles?

Shanadeus

Banned
Bit-Bit said:
Sure they do, just with other wizard children in their own secluded part of the world. They never come into contact with muggles.
What about Snape as a kid then?
He was a wizard but seemed to live among muggles.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How could anyone think that an entire population of muggles could stand up to even one magic-user. They use magic.

As for the issue of economy, we see disparities in class, Weasleys vs the Malfoys, for example, but it's a little unclear why such disparities exist in the first place. There must be some reason why Mrs. Weasley can't just magically construct a huge mansion that doesn't look like a piece of crap.

I figure it's best not be thought of too deeply. Irrelevant stuff like that is just not elaborated upon. I mean, there are scarce resources, like gold, food, and magical goods and services, and a bank to manage currency and property, but how it all works isn't really crucial for an appreciation of the story.

I sort of just shrug it all off like I do for Star Trek, since they also have "magic" in the form of replicators that can replicate whatever they want. The Federation exists in a moneyless society, but they still have to deal with scarce resources like dilithium and what not.

Sealda

Banned
Dresden said:

Wizards can just work their way into muggle society, take over politicians, take over the economy, and take over the armies of the world without anyone knowing about it. They could take control and rule over muggles without the poor saps ever knowing what hit them.

Voldemort was an old-timer schmuck.

That i agree. If the wizards knew from the start and actually managed to infiltrate every major military etc. They would easily win. 1 Wizard could wreck tremendous havoc in every Military HQ easily.

Then again. Its a silly discussion because there has to be a way to physically/chemically explain the magic they are using.In the end, if we drew the conclusion that the magic wizards uses are (unknowingly to them) extremely powerful and advanced physics and chemistry then we would technically be able to beat them. Then again thats the only way we can actually compare these 2 factions. If we said "oh, but magic is magic" well, different magic works differently good at each other and for instance, that we know. 1 spell might be able to block a bullet, then again, it might not be able to block a grenade explosion which means the magic can actually be analyzed with our nature laws. Thats the only way i see it...

Basically, magic is just bullshit. There is no real magic that is just magical, they call it magic but its just plain simple atoms moving here and there. Just like humans before thought fire was something magically. Now we know its just combustion of compounds...

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Oh man, I don't know why I clicked on this thread but the ensuing playground discussion of Wizards vs Humans is the most hilarious thing ever.

Really people, really?

Bit-Bit

Its been established that wizards do all of their warfare covertly. I'm sure the wizards already controlled the leaders of the world. Look at the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic.

Shanadeus

Banned
sohois said:
The question is, why are groups of wizards gathering together in open spaces that are easily targetable by cruise missile? Particularly when you consider that they have the powers of teleportation & invisibility, how would muggles ever know when to strike with missiles?
Evacuate london, nuke london.

In the process, try to capture some stupid wizard that flees (there are tons of them in the wizarding community).

That I think would give the muggles an unparalleled advantage in the war - knowledge of how to circumvent some magical barriers and major targets to nuke.

The question is how much a wizard can deflect with their spells (thinking of the witch that loved being burned to a stake), even if they can create shields that can protect them against dragon fire (which I'm not even sure they can do) the question is if they can do it on such a scale to protect the entirety of wizarding london from nuclear fire that is bound to be hotter than mere dragon fire (and even if it isn't, it's radioactive).

Pollux

Bit-Bit said:
They have protection spells for everything. I'm sure they can just get a few aurors together and cast some protection bubble over the wizarding communities and not be harmed by nuclear bombs or missiles. There was one particular witch who actually enjoyed being burned at the stake. She thought it was hilarious!

Fine they can stop the heat, what about the kinetic energy. I can be in a heat proof bubble when a bomb goes off, I'm still going to go flying form the shockwave.

way more

Shanadeus said:
Their arrogance is so bizzare as well when we as outsiders can see how pathetic and puny the tiny wizarding community really is. They have no idea what guns and could possibly be shot to death by one so imagine the danger a nuclear bomb poses to them.

Yeah, fuck those righteous asses.

If a 'wand-ey' were here right now I'd kick his ass. Go back to where you came from you pointy hatted freaks.

Dresden

Shanadeus said:
Evacuate london, nuke london.

In the process, try to capture some stupid wizard that flees (there are tons of them in the wizarding community).

That I think would give the muggles an unparalleled advantage in the war - knowledge of how to circumvent some magical barriers and major targets to nuke.

The question is how much a wizard can deflect with their spells (thinking of the witch that loved being burned to a stake), even if they can create shields that can protect them against dragon fire (which I'm not even sure they can do) the question is if they can do it on such a scale to protect the entirety of wizarding london from nuclear fire that is bound to be hotter than mere dragon fire (and even if it isn't, it's radioactive).
Pretty much every adult wizard can teleport, I think. It's like driving for them.

You can't capture a wizard.

Oh man, I don't know why I clicked on this thread but the ensuing playground discussion of Wizards vs Humans is the most hilarious thing ever.

Really people, really?
Sod off, pal. Twilight vs. Lord of the Rings is next.

The Imperious Curse is the one which has always confused me. Does the person operating the curse have to drop everything in order to control another person? It's not like he could go to work and focus on other things while remotely controlling somebody. Or does the "cursee" operate on his/her own and simply follow pre-programmed instructions?

For example, if I placed a high-ranking government official under the Imperious Curse, do I have to follow this person with my wand raised constantly muttering incantations? Do I have to maintain eye contact? Can I use any other spells while controlling someone?

Summary: The Imperious Curse makes no sense.

Pollux

Harry Potter said:
Come at me bro.

theelderscrollsv_skyriamk3.gif

Shanadeus

Banned
Dresden said:
Pretty much every adult wizard can teleport, I think. It's like driving for them.

You can't capture a wizard.
Yet a large part of them prefer using brooms.
With the sizable moron wizard population I'm pretty sure they could capture a couple of wizards, or squibs at the very least.

sohois

Conceited said:

Really people, really?

Fernando Rocker said:
We are a bunch of nerds.

Video Game Forum.

Also, whilst i know how GAF feels about fanfics, Harry Potter & the Methods of Rationalityhttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality does look at a lot of similar questions
so might be of interest to some in this thread.

MisterHero

Summary Man said:
The Imperious Curse is the one which has always confused me. Does the person operating the curse have to drop everything in order to control another person? It's not like he could go to work and focus on other things while remotely controlling somebody. Or does the "cursee" operate on his/her own and simply follow pre-programmed instructions?

For example, if I placed a high-ranking government official under the Imperious Curse, do I have to follow this person with my wand raised constantly muttering incantations? Do I have to maintain eye contact? Can I use any other spells while controlling someone?

they give people general instructions and send them on their way, like brainwashing and trigger words

also, nice name and avatar combo lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Summary Man said:
No, No, Yes.

It just works. Magic.

Summary Man said:

Something, something, Midi-chlorians.

stupei

Summary Man said:

Imperius is basically like a really strong drug. The person under the spell just feels really chill and not responsible for their actions, so you can direct them to do things through the power of suggestion. They become very agreeable and want to go along with whatever you ask in order to please you. You don't have to actually be there when they do it, but the spell can wear off over time and it's more effective if the caster is present. People with really strong will power are able to resist because it's a type of magic that's all about suggestion.

Shanadeus

Banned
stupei said:
Imperius is basically like a really strong drug. The person under the spell just feels really chill and not responsible for their actions, so you can direct them to do things through the power of suggestion. They become very agreeable and want to go along with whatever you ask in order to please you. You don't have to actually be there when they do it, but the spell can wear off over time and it's more effective if the caster is present. People with really strong will power are able to resist because it's a type of magic that's all about suggestion.
I imagine it's a bit like programming a robot (with it's own will and desires).
You could like Harry constantly give it new orders or you could give it a sufficiently advanced order that would allow you to be elsewhere while he is still under the influence of the spell, such as telling them to act like usual but meet up with you at X every couple days or so.

Wizardry is genetic, the humans could just invent a drug or virus to turn wizards into humans, like the 'cure' in X-Men, or make all the wizards infertile.

Wizards are only good at wizard stuff, and people are kidding themselves if they think an army couldn't beat a shit ton of wizards who aren't even trained in combat. All you learn as a wizard is basic self defense against other weak magic spells, how to levitate feathers and fix broken glass. The average wizard could probably be killed by an unarmed fighter lol.

Pollux

Mechanical Snowman said:
Wizardry is genetic, the humans could just invent a drug or virus to turn wizards into humans, like the 'cure' in X-Men, or make all the wizards infertile.

Wizards are only good at wizard stuff, and people are kidding themselves if they think an army couldn't beat a shit ton of wizards who aren't even trained in combat. All you learn as a wizard is basic self defense against other weak magic spells, how to levitate feathers and fix broken glass. The average wizard could probably be killed by an unarmed fighter lol.

I would put my money on Feydor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom