• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a licensed game every felt closer to recreating the source material than Dragon Ball Fighterz?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Late to the party on this but they nail the feel of the fights in this. I have being playing DBZ fighting games before I even knew there was a show (early 90's snes import) and no other game feels as close to recreating the feeling of watching the anime or reading manga. I haven't gone too deep into it so it still feels a bit shallow and button mashy but just watching it play out it is a sight. I also didn't know it had anime music in it so when I first watched the game the other day and Gohan Vs Buu with "We Got Power" playing in the background felt far more epic than I was expecting.

Best $8 I have spent on gaming all year. (Switch eshop sale)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes, ps4 spider man.
perfection GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Licensed games were pretty solid back in the NES/SNES era.

TMNT games (Konami). Disney games (Capcom). Ocean games like Hook and Home Alone were shit but there were definitely some licensed bangers back then.

As others have mentioned, South Park RPGs, Spiderman for modern games.

X-Men legends too, never got into Ultimate Alliance but those Legends games are effing awesome.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- South Park and the Stick of Truth
- a lot(!!!) of Star Wars games
- GoldenEye (maybe just for nostalgic reasons)
- Batman Arkham series (but maybe just Asylum)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
- Alladin (for the Mega Drive - the animation of the game was made by the movie animation team. Fuck me!)
- you can feeeeeeeeeeel like Spiderman

Last edited:

boomcrab

Dbfz is really great. I believe every move in the game is directly taken from either the Manga or a scene from the show. Try watching high level play and get inspired. We just got a new patch that freshened things up a bit, as every team online was either fusions, broly, base vegeta, or Ui.

Batiman

Banned
Fighterz is too perfect. I still play it at least once a week with my son. Probably the most visually appealing game to me. Just a burst of beautiful colours and effects. If your a fan of dragonball, you have to love this. My top 5 game in the last 10 years and I’m not even a fan of fighting games that much. I even bought guilty gear strive because of this game and while I like it, I still go back to fighterz more often

Most anime games/ licensed anime games follow the source material or have the authors and publishers working hand in hand with the company.

ksdixon

Sunsoft's Batman on sega megadrive with little scenes playing out bits of movie story inbetween some levels was also kinda cool. But close it was not.

Batman Arkahm Asylum really conveyed the feel of Batman for me.

It was never any of the db fighting game for me until budokai tenkaichi 2, the fact that you can free form fly around and knock people super far away and through mountains and shit made it actually DBZ for me; same reason I feel more DBZ from xenoverse 2 than dbfz, the 2d fighting game simply don't capture the actual DBZ feel for me, they are just fighting games with a DBZ skin on top.

007 Everything or nothing is pretty much a bond movie in videogame form:

Fbh

South Park for sure, it pretty much looks identical to the show.

Anime wise, I'd argue that while they are much worse fighting games and still have some of that 3D look to them, the Ultimate Ninja Storm capture the look of the anime battles as good or even better than Fighterz by virtue of their 3D perspective and longer super attack animations:
EnviousCookedAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I would say the South Park rpgs. Like watching an episode
As a massive fan of south park yeah this is way too true lmao. The fact they manage to perfectly replicate the artstyle and humor of an episode while still being an amazing RPG is insane

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Anime wise, I'd argue that while they are much worse fighting games and still have some of that 3D look to them, the Ultimate Ninja Storm capture the look of the anime battles as good or even better than Fighterz by virtue of their 3D perspective and longer super attack animations:

This is up there for sure. I might have to play the South Park RPGs

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That being said, FighterZ is probably the BEST 3d replication of 2d ive seen in a while. People don't give it (and arc system's other games) enough credit

Doom85

I would really love ArcSys to tackle other anime series as well. As someone who can’t stand arena brawlers, a proper fighting game of an anime was so fucking good and long overdue. Naruto would fit perfectly for such an experience. One Piece as well though I pity the developers who have to decide who makes the roster from THAT massive a pool of characters.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hook was made by Sony and the Sega CD version with the John Williams redbook audio was awesome.
Must have been published by Ocean or something then. Their logo is on the NES box and menu screen.

hook-nes-(product-large).jpg

I only played the NES version. I remember my brother and I completing the game but neither of us liked it much. The music is great though, can't deny that.

edit-

Wow. The Sega CD version seems like a completely different game from the NES version.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

It's a shame because the Akira Toriyama artstyle is almost perfect in 3D yet Square Enix refuses to remake Chrono Trigger.

Shubh_C63

South Park for sure, it pretty much looks identical to the show.

The QTE in the campaign simply blew me away, they were done so good.
The collectors disc for all Naruto games were so cheap I had to buy it.

LNXD

Neo Member
It is very good what they did not only in the models but also in the animation, it is like watching an episode of the series, the most incredible thing is that it seems better animated than the last Dragon Ball Super movie.
I'm not a fan of fighting games but I don't regret buying the game.

Belthazar

South Park The Stick of Truth is much better in replicating (and actually improving in some ways) the source material.

Codes 208

the naruto shippuden games were pretty damn close to the anime’s quality and represntation.
The crazy thing is how some of the QRT’s had the same awkward single shot frames that the anime would also do.

But otherwise South Park did pretty damn good with their RPG’s to capture the show. Probably better even. That said, FighterZ is arguably one of the best licensed fighting games and considering DBZ’s history of “fun first, competitive fighting third” mentality, fighterz is a fucking gem amongst its peers

nush

Gold Member
Transformers Devastation, it IS the 80's cartoon. In fact it's better looking than it.

OIP-C.vCAwDwwt7BMFL1bVwzUqxgHaEK

It's shallow, just like the source material.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dragon Ball Fighter Z told all the people that kiss up to street fighter tekken and smash that gamers want Goku and not some unvaccinated back peddling ninja.

Top Bottom