• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any game ever used the vita as a "Second Screen"

Demoskinos

So I was remote playing some PS4 games the other day on my PS Vita after you launch the Ps4 remote play app you get two options. Remote playing or the second option of using the Vita for a "Second Screen Experience" which got me wondering have any games actually used this yet?

On a side note this seems like a perfect function to use with the Zombi port coming out later this summer.

data

So I was remote playing some PS4 games the other day on my PS Vita after you launch the Ps4 remote play app you get two options. Remote playing or the second option of using the Vita for a "Second Screen Experience" which got me wondering have any games actually used this yet?

On a side note this seems like a perfect function to use with the Zombi port coming out later this summer.

Pretty sure LBP2 used it in some way

Matriox

It's been used before at my house for Playroom where you draw stuff and throw it into the screen for the robots to play with. Outside of that I'm not positive.

I think Superfrog HD did on the PS3. I never tried it, but according to the trophy list you could go through special portals on the PS3 and onto the PSVita screen.

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut and Guacamelee on the PS3 both used it. Alas, it was minimal. I don't think that anything on the PS4 even used it, not even the Guacamelee port. Remote play seems to have taken priority which is a shame as it would function much better with the PS4, just like remote play.

Guacamelee did on PS3. I'm assuming PS4 port does as well.

Was a real-time map that also double as a controller with an awesome D-Pad. So for a Metroidvania-type title it was godlike for me.

Alas, it was minimal. I don't think that anything on the PS4 even used it, not even the Guacamelee port..

That's disappointing.

AwRy108

It's used as an editor for backgrounds / scenes in Playroom (PS4 camera software), and it works really well.

Takao

Banned
Wolfenstein uses it? Looks like I need to finally get round to playing that. Does The Old Blood use it as well?

Dunno if Old Blood uses it, but here are some shots from TNO:

liv29Fd.jpg
HaEaoj4.jpg
YTnZhnJ.jpg

Gameboy415

I vaguely recall hearing about a racing game that let you use a Vita as a rear view mirror...I think it was one of the recent Gran Turismo games, maybe?

This reminds me that at one point the psp was supposed to be used as a rear view mirror for one of the gran turismo games, I don't think it ever happened though.

I believe Madden does using the vita like how it uses smart glass, but it's completely optional. Post-play, Smartglass (and I think the Vita) would give you information about the playt hat was run and some other crap. Never really worked well though.

ricki42

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut and Guacamelee on the PS3 both used it. Alas, it was minimal.

Yep, I tried both, and went back to DS3 pretty quickly. In DX: HR I just didn't like to have to take my eyes of the main screen, and typing in codes wasn't really faster since I had to shift the Vita in my hands to be able to have one hand free for typing.
On Guacamelee connecting the Vita was kind of complicated from what I remember. Having the map was nice, and the Vita d-pad is of course nice as well. But ultimately not worth the hassle. Pressing one button to bring up the map is just as fast and convenient.

amar212

I vaguely recall hearing about a racing game that let you use a Vita as a rear view mirror...I think it was one of the recent Gran Turismo games, maybe?

No.

It was a planned and demoed PSP functionality for the PS3 F1 launch game, F1 Racing Championship, but it never became a reality.

There was never even a semi-official talk about Vita and any GT game IIRC, not even about remoting stuff

Lijik

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on PS3. You could use your Vita as x-ray goggles or something like that.
Yeah, it would mimic what was on screen after syncing up and it would highlight collectibles in the levels.

Pretty cool but there was noticable lag when moving the camera around

Top Bottom