• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Anybody Tried Doing A Nuzlocke Challenge In Pokemon Games?

Miracle

I never heard of the term "Nuzlocke" before until yesterday when I was just browsing through YouTube for the last 15 minutes before I went to bed.

According to the wiki, most of it relies on these three rules:

- Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead and must be released or put in the Pokemon storage immediately.
- The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
- The player must nickname all of their Pokemon. (I kinda do that already anyway)

I've seen a couple of funny Projared Pokemon videos doing this kind of walkthrough. It seems like something pretty fun to try.

Has anyone here tried doing one before for those who play Pokemon games?

I tried doing it by self imposing those rules but then I started "cheating" because it was just too convenient for me to let something slip. I want to do it with an actual hacked ROM tho because it was fun.

Projared has done several. I've personally attempted 3, the latest with X and Y... I got more bored with the game than the run and never really completed it.

Kapi96

I've done them. They're good fun trying to play with different Pokemon than you otherwise would.

I disagree that they require you to nickname Pokemon though. I've never done that since I hate Pokemon with nicknames.

Balb

I'd really like to play a challenging Pokémon game but I've never liked the Nuzlocke ruleset. Just doesn't seem that fun to me. Would be open to other challenges though.

Chase17

I've always liked the idea of self imposed restrictions when playing a game. While I've yet to do a "true" nuzlocke I've done some monotype runs (only difference is I didn't leave it up to first encounter).

As someone who has been playing Pokemon for almost 2 decades, it's a fun change if pace. But only after my first run through normally with a new game.

Attempted several, never finished any. I usually get bored around the point where I have to grind a lot to avoid any potential deaths so I stop there since I don't find that kind of challenge fun. The furthest I reached was like the 7th gym in an Emerald run.

I personally prefer monotype challenges. They're not hard, but a good change of pace.

I've done one in 2014, and I'll probably play all my Pokémon games like this from now on. The arbitrary rules really improve my experience. The modest difficulty of these games can stand some extra challenges if you're familiar with the series. Here's my post with my rules from back then:

I did a Nuzlocke for ORAS with some people, and I had a much nicer time with that game compared to the original. I typed out our rules for a friend's blog, so I can easily dig them back up.

• In Memoriam: Any pokémon that faints will be considered dead. The use of Revives is strictly forbidden, as is raising mons from the dead in a Pokécentre. Should an NPC accidentally heal my party, we have to adhere to the honour system and still consider it to be dead.
  • Gravekeeper: "Dead" pokémon will be deposited in the last PC box, which shall be our ‘graveyard’. This method will allow me to keep a neater log of our fallen comrades.
  • Game Over: The Nuzlocke challenge will be officially over when we are completely wiped out and have no more Pokémon. At that point, we’ll have to decide whether or not we have to start an entirely new save, or to continue playing Pokémon in the vanilla way using a boxed Pokémon and a deep sense of shame.
  • Patriarchy Protest: We shall only catch female or genderless Pokémon. If we get a male Pokemon through trading, he should get boxed. If your starter Pokémon is a male, you should get rid of it once you have a second Pokémon that is at least level 5. We'll have strong independent women who won’t need no man. *snaps fingers and bobs head* The reason for this rule is to be pickier with who we can catch, adding another layer of challenge.
  • Highlander:We will only have one Pokémon per species. First one we catch of a species will be the one we stick with. This rule is to prevent catching the same few critters over and over again to avoid having to level or comparing stats.
  • Pikachu is probably called “Pizza” in the UK: Any Pokémon we'll will catch will get a nickname. I want to see if this little bit of personalisation will make deads hit harder than they already will.
  • Dittos Can Be Classy Too: We shall not use a Ditto for breeding Pokémon. Similarly, we can only breed Pokémon when the purpose is to donate an egg to someone else, or to get a pre-evolution form. Breeding for stats or natures is explicitly forbidden.
  • Changing the guard: After each Gym, we'll box our highest level Pokémon and let her retire. This is to prevent powering through with only one or two heavy hitters. Retired pokémon can still be used for breeding.
  • Is bliss supposedly: While we’ve technically already played this game before, in the form of the original, we will still play this version as blind as possible. This means we will not look anything up. This means no checking which Pokémon are available and where they are, no looking up Gym Leaders, no looking up levels of when Pokémon evolve,... nothing. The only thing we'll going on is what we know and what we can figure out through the game itself.

Some of the rules were silly, but I think arbitrary challenges is what Nuzlocke runs are all about. I definitely had fun, and had to think more about the usual flow of Pokémon games. Especially the retirement rule made things significantly harder, since the trainer levels raised, while yours dropped routinely. It did help us spread our levels out, and we did use the EXP share stuff.

Most of the run itself went great, with only 4 mons in my graveyard, but the Elite 4 was a massacre. The only mon that survived to see me become a poké champion was Guttertrash the Ludiculo.

I will definitely tweak my ruleset for next time again, but it kind of depends on what game it'll be. If I'll end up replaying an old one, my rules are probably going to be much stricter and more gimmicky. Highly recommended either way!

Crayolan

I've considered it but I like being able to choose what pokemon I use and permadeath naturally leads to a lot of grinding and cautious play which is boring as hell.

I find other ways to make pokemon games challenging.

StoneFox

I did one once in LeafGreen.

I was at a point right after Misty where all I had left was a lowly Meowth named Rollo. I felt like one of those NPCs you stomp in the game, and I was devastated because I went from a team of six down to one in about ten minutes. Anyway, I trained Rollo up very, very carefully on wild pokemon and had a close call with a raticate because they are bastards but Rollo was not going to be taken down so easily, he knew he was awesome. Quite honestly, he became closer to me than any starter ever has. As a Persian, he took down Sabrina's pokemon with Bite. He was super fast and helped me escape from wild pokemon. He used Taunt in the Elite Four to stop Agatha's Double Team shenanigans. I love him so much, I traded him up to Alpha Sapphire because he was my bro. I think my final team was Persian, Vaporeon, Victreebel, Aerodactyl and two others I can't remember unfortunately :( (although I did transfer all the E4 champions over as a reward and are likely grouped together in my Bank).

Edit: the other two were Ninetales and Snorlax.

Kinda wish I recorded that run because it was an emotional ride hahaha I've done others, but that was definitely my favorite. Probably becuse I made so many mistakes at the beginning and had to dig myself out of a hole, you know how stressful it was to catch a diglett with just a meowth? heh I prayed I wouldn't run into a dugtrio instead.

He technically never lost a fight since it's permadeath if he did. I kinda like that implication in nuzlockes, that you have a badass team of pokemon who don't what it's like to lose. :p

notaskwid

Can make singleplayer pokemon interesting, but unless you get really invested you'll get bored anyway. Good way to keep interest is to draw a comic about your adventure, write it or record it and show it to some friends/people online, can be very fun and rewarding too.

GKFinns

I did a modified run of one for X and Y that proved to be a ton of fun.

I caught 5 scrub Pokemon in the first section of the game and immediately sent all 6 (including my starter) into the online swap.

Whatever 6 returned would be my team with no substitutions. I loved the extreme random chance that dictated my team. Half ended up awesome, half ended up awful (Floette AND a Bunnelby)

Weebos

Banned
Its the only way I play the single player these days. I usually mix it up with different variations.

They're pathetically easy in 6th gen though, even with EXP Share off.

Cryxok

I've tried multiple times.

One in BW and got beaten by Clay
One in SoulSilver and got beaten by Lance
One in Alpha Sapphire. My first time clearing it.
Plus a couple more of times in FireRed, Emerald and Platinum that I simply stopped playing because I get bored of emulation and my 3DS was broken at the time.

It's a lot of fun and it does make the game more difficult and exciting. My time facing the E4+Champion in Alpha Sapphire has been the most fun I've have with a Pokémon game ever.
I can't recommend the challenge enough.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's always interesting to see the additional variations.
There's the Wonderlocke, where you have to Wonder-Trade the Pokemon you catch (Gen 6 only of course)
There's Marriland's Wedlocke, where you have to catch a male and female Pokemon and pair them up, and you can only use that couple in a battle.

I thought everyone agreed to wipe that memory from our minds?

It wasn't as bad as Slowbeef's attempt where he had like three or four game overs.

Sicious

Neo Member
I tried one in pokémon Sapphire. I failed miserably at the 4th gym. I like the idea itself, but i don't like the obligatory grinding it involves.

Sesha

I know someone who tried. Don't know if they ever finished it. I'd love to try it for my self, once. Maybe when gen 7 rolls around.

It's pretty much the only way to play in the newer games if you want any semblance of challenge. I keep the starter for collecting purposes if it dies though, I just don't use it for the run.

I love those Wonderlocke and Wedlocke ideas lol

I've actually been in the middle of doing my first. I've been playing with a species clause though which lets me reroll the first encounter if it's a Pokemon that I've already caught.

Gsnap

Tried. Never finished. It's an interesting idea, but the game isn't really built for it. Makes it much less compelling to me. It's not even about the difficulty, as you can always just grind. It does become a little more interesting when using randomizers, but even then, it's still pretty tedious.

I did a Nuzlocke run of Fire Red. For the most part it wasn't too hard. I lost a couple of pokemon due to poison and explosion.

I tried doing a Nuzlocke run of light platinum but gave up due to the frustration of shadow tag.

It's the only way I play the older games nowadays. I know those games very well so I can usually plan my team ahead of time, and help ensure it by catching the other mons that might show up in different areas so nothing interferes when I go hunting for the one I actually want on my team. Of course, that randomness is part of the challenge. I've used some pretty interesting teams because of it.

I've never had to grind though, unless I caught a mon I really wanted to use on my team but was underleveled.

I don't really find that the nuzlock actually makes the game harder as it still allows for grinding and abuse of healing items you can still essintally just brute force he game.
Also team building is a core strategic aspect of the game that IMO the nuzlock complete elimantes by forcing you to use whoever you end up with. It just makes the game more punishing and random. I don't really get why nuzlock is popular.

The best way to make single player pokemon more challenging IMO is to:

-Never grind and run from as many random battles as possible to try and keep your levels a bit lower then you're eneimies

-only use as many pokemon as he current gym leader in the area has. Almost no one in the Pokeverse ever carries 6 guys so why should you? Start out just carrying 2 fight ready Mons and add more as you play only using 6 for the elite 4.

-Never buy healing items. When to use a Revive or a hyper potion now is an important descion as there is a finite number of them.

I find these three things make things more interesting and way more fun then a nuzlock.

Tried one in Black around 2 months ago. It was going fine up until just before the 6th gym when 2 of my Pokemon died so I got pissed and quit lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got almost to the end of Soul Silver DS, but fizzled out.
Played about 1/3rd through White 1, but got stomped at a certain point.

It's the ONLY way to experience the campaign personally. The added challenge and connection you get by enforcing perma-death is captivating. Low health becomes terrifying for any Pokemon, and you really get an interesting party setup with creatures you may never try before. I recommend trying it out highly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also team building is a core strategic aspect of the game that IMO the nuzlock complete elimantes by forcing you to use whoever you end up with. It just makes the game more punishing and random. I don't really get why nuzlock is popular.

Completely disagree. Slotting together perfect teams is efficient, but Nuzlocke creates chaos for you to truly make real decisions on the fly given unexpected outcomes of party makeup and skill designations that you normally would just min/max with your chosen squad. Strategy is born from making tactical choices within very confined restrictions, and Nuzlocke both serves to widen those limitations beyond pure efficiency while offering the player the opportunity to succeed intelligently with less practical options or team make ups. It's awesome and way more fascinating than picking the best few of hundreds to serve every situation ideally.

ar4757

I've attempted Sapphire (GBA ver.) a good 15 times in the past few months. I usually die a little after Dewford. It's fun though when you get into bad situations and make it out.

I really enjoy Nuzlocke runs because they encourage experimentation and give the game a much needed challenge.

The last one I did was of Emerald a few years ago.

Griss

It's the only way I play pokemon. Otherwise I'm just too experienced at the base mechanics to make the game anything but a rote slog.

It really does liven up the game and make you think differently about certain Pokemon. I would never have expected that a Pelliper could carry my team throughout an entire game, but it happened in my playthrough of Alpha Saphire.

The best advice is not to follow any defined 'rule set', just to create the rules that are fun to you. And make sure not to break any, because once you do - no matter what your reason - the fun is lost.

nateify

I lost interest in Pokemon after 4th gen, and a couple years ago tried a Crystal Nuzlocke run to get back into it. I ignored the rule "only catch one per route" to simplify things, but I lost to Lance.

Dreavus

I've done one in 2014, and I'll probably play all my Pokémon games like this from now on. The arbitrary rules really improve my experience. The modest difficulty of these games can stand some extra challenges if you're familiar with the series. Here's my post with my rules from back then:

I will definitely tweak my ruleset for next time again, but it kind of depends on what game it'll be. If I'll end up replaying an old one, my rules are probably going to be much stricter and more gimmicky. Highly recommended either way!

So with this ruleset you avoid the "only catch the first Pokemon you encounter" rule? When considering a run myself that was one that I didn't really like. Looks like the "retire" rule + the "highlander" rule makes for a decent substitute to keep you on your toes.

I think if I was to ever restart my X/Y file I'd try something like this. I lost interest in the game pretty quickly otherwise. :(

Top Bottom