• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returning to Pillars of Eternity 2 and...

Fools idol

Banned
Noticed something that I don't think I did the first time around... a challenge called 'The Ultimate'. At first I was like eh, the usual hard feat that comes with theese kind of cRPGS and then I read what is actually required.

To beat 'The Ultimate' challenge, a player has to finish the game under all of the following conditions:

- One savegame that is instantly deleted upon death
- Complete the game on the hardest difficulty
- Complete the game with a solo character (the game is normally played with 3 or 4 companions)
- Complete certain important quests(critical path) before a specific amount of in-game days pass
- Complete the game without pausing once (*actually, the game cannot be paused once this challenge is activated)
- Beasts gain random powerful effects
- Being knocked out in combat for 10 seconds is an immediate death
- Harsh equipment degradation is activated
- A fog of war is active at all times, getting smaller at night
- There are more storms when sailing the open seas, and they are significantly more dangerous to your ship and crew
- Food items spoil after some time
- A certain companion will follow after the player and must be kept alive throughout the game (the companion cannot be controlled)
- Per-encounter resources become per-rest instead, party health doesn't regenerate between combat, and only prepared meals will heal the party while camping

- Almost all normally displayed stats are hidden (enemy health, damage, etc)

Holy fucking shit. Did anyone ever actually do this without cheating? Surely fucking not? anyone here on GAF?

Side though, this game is really amazing. I didn't initially like it upon release, nor again after a year or two of patches, but this time around now its all updated and fixed up, the quality is shining through. Sad we will never get another.

tmlDan

This sounds insane, I beat Pillars a while ago but cRPG's are already pretty luck based and difficult, i'd lose my mind doing that challenge lol

I know story/lore comes with these games but Pillars 2 had way too much dialogue for me, I kinda zoned out lol

I was recently.playing pillars 1 but some how lost my saves. I wanted to play it to properly get the backstory for 2. But fuck playing 1 again.

Will just have to read a summary and play 2

Vox Machina

Banned
I'm currently playing through it as well before Avowed next year. That challenge is insane. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and the game is absolutely punishing.

Pillars 2 starts with the game recapping the more important points from Pillars 1 so you can just go with it without missing much.
I have played 2 before but all the gods are directly referenced from 1 and wasn't one of them behind the plot of the first game too?

2 gives you the option to import your save that carries your choices for continuity. So just picking the choices at the start without knowing there meaning sucks.

BbMajor7th

Really wanted to play this but the loading times on console are ridiculous for this kind of game. Would love a current gen patch that leverages the SSD - a man can dream (or buy a PC).

Fuz

Banned
Loved it, better than 1 and the pirate theme was just the icing on the cake (I'm gay for pirates), but it's a little... fragmented and hard to follow.
I'm also never been a big fan of its ruleset.

Too much time has passed though, my memory is kinda hazy.

2 gives you the option to import your save
Wish more games still did this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom