• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone gotten their 360 to work with Windows Media Player 11?

Tieno

Oooh, how come there hasn't been any news about this. If I'm reading this correctly, WMP11 should enable non-media center pc's to stream video.

sangreal

must be part of the fall dashboard update because right now the 360 doesn't support video over windows media connect (which is built into wmp11 now), regardless if you have media center or not

Tieno

sangreal said:
must be part of the fall dashboard update because right now the 360 doesn't support video over windows media connect (which is built into wmp11 now), regardless if you have media center or not
Good guess. Anyway, ROLLING THUNDER!

White Man

I'm thinking this isn't ready yet. There are broken links on that page, and I don't see anything in WMP11B2 that would indicate this functionality. Maybe it will be in the non-beta.

bluemax

Banned
I can't even get the Windows Media Connect to work with WMP10 and my PC. Despite both being on the same router neither device (360 or PC) sees each other...

Tieno

bluemax said:
I can't even get the Windows Media Connect to work with WMP10 and my PC. Despite both being on the same router neither device (360 or PC) sees each other...
Maybe something to do with your router or firewall blocking a certain port.

Last Hope

Well this is big news if it actually works.

I will have to try. I have been reluctant to update to WMP11 because I hear it is irreversable and some people don't like it. This will entice me to upgrade if this works.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
White Man said:
I'm thinking this isn't ready yet. There are broken links on that page, and I don't see anything in WMP11B2 that would indicate this functionality. Maybe it will be in the non-beta.

well the 'media sharing' option under video would be a clue. And MS mention it quite clearly in their notes on the WMP11 B2 page.

But yeah, there isn't any way to access it from the 360, so it'll need an update. When's the fall update due?

BTW, nice thread :p

brocke

Banned
I'm done talking with Microsoft. I've spoken with them 3 times today and they all have the same thing to say. From what they told me, the 360 is not compatible with video without having windows media center edition.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've read it a few times now, but how much flexibility does this give them:

The new Media Sharing feature of Windows Media Player 11 lets you enjoy the contents of your Windows Media Player library from anywhere in your home. If you have a home network (wired or wireless), you can use Windows Media Player 11 to stream the contents of your library to networked devices. For example, if you have an Xbox 360 or other digital media receiver (DMR), you can use Windows Media Player to stream music, pictures, and videos from your computer to that device. This even works with music that you've downloaded from PlaysForSure music stores and services. For more information, see Digital Media at Home

Can they seriously say the video part is only for the 'other' DMRs?

brocke

Banned
mrklaw said:
I've read it a few times now, but how much flexibility does this give them:

Can they seriously say the video part is only for the 'other' DMRs?

Beats me. Someone else should call them and see what they get out of them.

Top Bottom