• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone started this months Play thread?

Kafel

Banned
citrus could you please tell us more about the gameplay ?

Still a beat-them-all or only a 'dragon-riding' game ? The title is confusing me.

There's a pretty nice preview of One Piece Unlimited Adventure fo the Wii.

Not a fan of the anime, but the game looks nice. Eight selectable characters and it's 40 hours long.

Deeply rooted in exploration and puzzle solving a la Zelda and Metroid.

Kafel said:
citrus could you please tell us more about the gameplay ?

Still a beat-them-all or only a 'dragon-riding' game ? The title is confusing me.
Looks like a hack n slash.
Appears you can fight while mounted as well.

v0yce said:
Wow, what'd they say? So little news on this, I'm surprised they had a review. I wonder what kind of review build they had.

Visually very good. Everything you expect from a Silent Hill game. Only misstep is the ability to pass from "normal" Silent Hill to the nightmare version at will. Takes awy some of the tension.

mollipen

v0yce said:
Wow, what'd they say? So little news on this, I'm surprised they had a review. I wonder what kind of review build they had.

It was a final review build, so far as I could tell. Nothing about it seemed unfinished at all.

This isn't a PSP Silent Hill title - it's a Silent Hill title somehow on the PSP, if that makes sense. I mean, in overall scope, yeah, you can tell it isn't as big as a console SH game. But, when you play, it never feels like a lesser project than the console versions, and I'd be damn tempted to say that it had more effort put into it than SH4 did. Graphically, this game is amazing, and the entire game has that rich Silent Hill design when it comes to locations and atmosphere. I know many of us were afraid of this game, due to it being developed by Westerners, but seriously, it deserves the name "Silent Hill," unlike The Room.

cirtus lump already noted my major criticism about the game - Travis' ability to go back and forth between "foggy" Silent Hill and "rusty" SH at will. The fear of the nightmare world was that you never had control over its coming: you didn't know when it would appear, you always were afraid of it coming, and when you did, you wanted out, and fast. Here, it's up to you. "Oh, okay, now I'll go to nightmare SH so I can solve this puzzle." That feels really, really wrong. It doesn't kill the game, and it is used sometimes in some really clever ways, but I personally think it was an absolute mistake.

After playing, I couldn't help but feel that, even though SH0 is a prequel, it feels more like a true sequel to the original game than any following SH title ever did. This isn't SH2, with its deep psychology and more mental fear. This isn't SH3, with its crazy situations and very extended submersions into darkness. It also isn't - thank god - anything like SH4. This feels, in so many ways, like the game that would have come after the original Silent Hill had SH2 not happened.

MC Safety

gray_fox224 said:
why is this mag still in business while OPM gets canceled?

MY GOD

OPM is coming back, you know.

Different, but the same.

And you might try reading the magazine before proclaiming your hate for it. You might be surprised.

And I'll throw in my usual laugh at people who get their panties in a twist over a number without ever thinking hey! maybe I should try and read the argument created to support the number I'm so mad over. Because, you know (or you should know), context is king.

Top Bottom