• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Gamestop/EB (USA) been paid off to pretend PS3 Child of Eden has been cancelled?

Futureman said:
Yea, maybe, it doesn't really make sense though because that's Japan and has nothing to do with U.S. shipments. Sales need to pick up here and I don't see Nintendo gambling with people going in a store on an impulse buy and not being able to grab OOT.
Yeah no, I agree, I'm just saying your clerk didn't pull that completely out of nowhere. I doubt it'll affect things over here.

Jomjom

Banned
Himself said:
Haha...is the PS3 cover really going to have with obviously looks like a dude playing a Kinect on it? This game is so doomed. I, however, can't wait to get my hands on it. (As long as the PS3 version really exists...BELIEVE!)

I'm gonna Day 1 it regardless of the inevitable BOMBA just so I can sleep knowing I somehow contributed to the general good.

The PS3 version will get released at some point. There's no way Q is recouping the cost by selling the 360 version only for such a niche game. This is not going to sell even as well as Demon's Souls.

dude

dude
I really doubt Microsoft went through all this trouble just for a niche title like Child of Eden...

But, usually "indefinitely delayed" is as good as cancelled, so they might be right.

jetsetfluken said:
If only Q Ent. went with a Japanese publisher instead of a Western one with such close ties to you know-who, this kind of snake tactics wouldn't be going on. Alright, I'm just kidding with that. Kind of.
Yeah, I heard honor and shame are a huge part of Japanese culture. But you're probably an expert.

Aselith

The game is listed for 1/10/2011 on the GS.ca site. It seems more likely to me that Gamestop didn't want to list it with very tenuous information on the PS3 version and the Canadian site forgot to lose it from their site. I mean has Ubi even said "it's probably going to be coming out in X year?" Saying it's coming out someday is very non-commital. GS may not want to start taking reserve money for a game that may not ever come out. Amazon doesn't do reserve money so that's probably why they're fine with a "whenever" release date to start doing reserves.

I know it's shocking that Gamestop is turning down an avenue to take your money but that doesn't necessarily indicate a conspiracy. They don't have a page for I Am Alive either. Conspiracy?

I work at one, and am a manager, and no, there have never been any store informers (our push of information to everyone company wide) or any other pushed out info of any type to the managers nor the game advisers.

Sounds to me these people working at your stores just kinda ignored the PS3 version because all of the advertising is paid for by microsoft for the game. Honestly, I had no idea there was even going to be a PS3 version until maybe 2 weeks ago when my employee was talking it up with a customer buying move.

SO, I guess incompetence is the answer for ya. Even though I wouldn't single out the employee for being incompetent just because of a game like child of eden didn't strike their bone as a crucial title to pay attention to.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
FoxMcCloudDS said:
I work at one, and am a manager, and no, there have never been any store informers (our push of information to everyone company wide) or any other pushed out info of any type to the managers nor the game advisers.

Sounds to me these people working at your stores just kinda ignored the PS3 version because all of the advertising is paid for by microsoft for the game. Honestly, I had no idea there was even going to be a PS3 version until maybe 2 weeks ago when my employee was talking it up with a customer buying move.

SO, I guess incompetence is the answer for ya. Even though I wouldn't single out the employee for being incompetent just because of a game like child of eden didn't strike their bone as a crucial title to pay attention to.

You may want to recheck old Store Informers. There was definitely info in there about the PS3 version being "cancelled." Also, I personally had a Child of Eden PS3 copy reserved for awhile. Then, the system flagged it as "cancelled/removed" and it sat in my pre-orders list as a cancelled sku. The PS3 is still currently unavailable for pre-order.

It's a mystery to me
The game commences
For the usual fee
Plus expenses
Confidential information
It's in a diary
This is my investigation
It's not a public inquiry

Noshino

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for writing to us at GameStop.com

The current release date for Child of Eden is 6/14/11. At this time we are offering the title for XBOX 360 only. Keep in mind release dates are set by the manufacturer and are subject to change at anytime without notification. We recommend keeping a watch out on our website for any updates to the product.

We value your business and hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Erik
GameStop Customer Service
-----Original Message-----
Sent: May 22, 2011 8:54:22 PM
Subject: I have a question about a specific product

Good Evening,

I was wondering why is it that I can't find Child of Eden for PS3 on your website, I wanted to reserve it but it isn't available. Do you guys not carry it?

Thank you,

Huh, it still doesnt answer why they aren't showing the PS3 version though.

Top Bottom