• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been a better lineup in the first half of a year?

I've said this in a few threads, but I think it's cheating a bit to include games that have been released for some time(Yakuza and P5).

For example, if older classics like RE4 got ported to the Switch, would we be including it too?

I actually agree with this line of thinking completely, but it doesn't surprise me that others don't since this forum is mainly US/Europe-centric and most people don't keep track of when exactly all the Japanese release dates are in comparison.

Still, the list in the OP is at least fairly beefy even if P5, Yakuza, and Puyo Puyo Tetris are taken out.

Also Darksiders 1. Released same day as Bayonetta as I recall.

Also God of war 3 was relesed in march of 2010. 2017 is great i just hope second part ll be great.

Good calls. I definitely forgot a few.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Heavy Rain
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun and come out of the wazoo like clockwork. There's always something for everyone, all the time.

Also Darksiders 1. Released same day as Bayonetta as I recall.

Ravage

I posted this in a similar thread yesterday.

Yes definitely, the non-stop release of great games is just exhilarating :)

I've spent every single second of my spare time on Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Nioh...with Horizon arriving tomorrow...and Persona 5 waiting next month. No idea when i'll have the time to touch my backlog of Kingdom Hearts II.8 and Resident Evil 7. It really feels like gaming heaven right now.

Edit: just realised all the games I've bought/preordered are sitting at >80 Metacritic (except P5 which is almost guaranteed critical acclaim).

4 hours into Horizon so far and the game has delivered on its hype for me. What a start for the year :)

jacobeid

Banned
I can't think of any off of the top of my head. 2015 and 2016 were super meh years for games to the point that the first quarter of this year will handily beat those last two years combined.

2014 had Shovel Knight, Bayonetta 2, Smash, MK8, South Park, Forza Horizon 2 and Wolfenstein. 2014 kicked ass despite everyone saying it sucked.

I can't think of any off of the top of my head. 2015 and 2016 were super meh years for games to the point that the first quarter of this year will handily beat those last two years combined.

2014 had Shovel Knight, Bayonetta 2, Smash, MK8, South Park, Forza Horizon 2 and Wolfenstein. 2014 kicked ass despite everyone saying it sucked.

I agree that 2014 is better than many give it credit for, especially for the Wii U, but 2015 and 2016 beat it easily. Bloodborne is better than any game in that list and Doom > Wolfenstein.

You could say the first half of 2017 has been the best year yet for 'this release period is stacked' threads ;)

I cancelled a few preorders this morning because its just getting ridiculous, I can not keep up.

I was actually referring to threads about 2017 lol

shandy706

I am waiting for some Xbone only owner to disagree with you, OP.

I'm sure they have more than enough too.

I wanted to finish Gears 4 and Halo Wars 2 before Horizon came out. I didn't make it. Horizon is definitely what I'm playing tonight despite that.

I don't have enough time to finish all the games on one console. Owning them all is torture.

2014 was fantastic. It only sucked if people only played AAA.

I'm surprised you didn't like 2016 though. There was really something for everyone that year. Nintendo's output was pretty low but they still had Kirby, Twilight Princess HD, and Pokemon Sun/Moon which were all fantastic.

I can't think of any year with as many personally anticipated titles by me, but I'm also not going to count my chickens before they hatch. Ask in a few months.

Raw64life

My favorite game, Dragon Quest VIII, isn't even on the list.

Getting Zelda friday. Getting DQ Heroes 2, a game that's understandable why it isn't on the list, day one. I might get Mass Effect if I can find the time for it.

Other than that, a lot of wait for price drops. Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Nier among others all fall under that category for me.

Sanke__

I would agree
The first half of this year is absolutely insane

If Mario odyssey, destiny 2, and red dead redemption 2 all actually release this year, it could be one of the best years ever

I personally think this gen overall is already destroying last gen
All the gen needs to seal the deal is for death stranding, red dead redemption 2, and last of us part 2 to live up to the hype
throw in ZOE 3, vanquish 2, and Alan wake 3 and it'll definitely be better than last gen

Edit:
If yookalaylee is as good as it could be the year will truly be epic

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't know about first half, but it's definitely a front-runner for best first quarter.

Spman2099

I can't remember a time when more incredible games came out. I have had a lot of free time, and I have been playing a lot of games, and I can't keep up. It is pure insanity.

It's definitely looking great. I really don't know how I'm going to play all these games.

And I swear there was a similar thread a few days ago, but instead it was Q1.

2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Heavy Rain
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun and come out of the wazoo like clockwork. There's always something for everyone, all the time.

Wow, I forgot how good 2010 was.

KAL2006

Banned
Mario Odyssey
- First sandbox Mario since Sunshine

Zelda BotW
- Open world Zelda thats getting positive previews

Horizon
- Robot dinosaurs, new AAA WRPG by Guerilla Games, with instance graphics

Persona 5
- The new JRPG King IP

Gran Turismo Sport
- The first GT game on PS4

Resident Evil 7
- Reboot from the underperforming RE6, back to horror roots

Mass Effect Andromeda
- First next gen Mass Effect game

Red Dead 2
- It's a Rockstar game, that's all that needs to be said

Nioh
- Dark Souls X Ninja Gaiden

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
- Anticipated sequel to this massive crossover IP

Tekken 7
- First next gen Tekken game

These are the notable ones, all that plus Nintendo Switch and Scorpio. What an amazing time for games. Haven't even included niche stuff like Yakuza 0.

jacobeid

Banned
2014 was fantastic. It only sucked if people only played AAA.

I'm surprised you didn't like 2016 though. There was really something for everyone that year. Nintendo's output was pretty low but they still had Kirby, Twilight Princess HD, and Pokemon Sun/Moon which were all fantastic.

I enjoyed 2016 quite a bit, but I couldn't understand why so many people thought it was one of the best years ever for games. 2015 was really the downer year for me other than Bloodborne and the Witcher.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I can think of for me personally. Even not being interested in a lot of the games, I thought RE7 was fantastic, I really like GR2, I'm pretty much assured of loving Horizon and Zelda, and probably Mass Effect (unless as they really fucked it up) given the first three are among my all time favorite games.

Most years the holiday rush isn't nearly that good for me, much less any previous Q1.

Toxi

Banned
I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games.
2008 was pretty bad. There were good games like there are every year, but most of the "big" games didn't age well.

My favorite game from 2008 is probably Dead Space, which wouldn't even crack the top 5 of my favorites from 2007.

george_us

Why is everyone sleeping on Tales of Berseria? It's great! :(

OT: It really is an amazing half year. I am absolutely drowning in games to play!
Wait, Berseria is actually good? Shit.

For me this is the best start to a year in at least 10 years imo.

Vertti

Need to add Hollow Knight to that list. A damn solid metroidvania and would probably have been my goty of 2016 if it was released year ago.

In my opinion this is probably the best Q1/Q2 ever though last year was pretty damn good too. When I think my top10 of 2016 the top 7 games were released in Q1/Q2. (R&C, Hyper Light Drifter, Doom, UC4, TMS#FE, The Witness and Dark Souls 3)

2008 was pretty bad. There were good games like there are every year, but most of the "big" games didn't age well.

My favorite game from 2008 is probably Dead Space, which wouldn't even crack the top 5 of my favorites from 2007.

Persona 4
Pokemon Platinum
Mario Kart Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4
Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
Street Fighter IV
LittleBigPlanet
Wario Land: Shake It!
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Chrono Trigger DS
Dissidia Final Fantasy
The World Ends With You
Ninja Gaiden 2
Rhythm Heaven
Klonoa
Valkyria Chronicles
Shin Megami Tensei - Raidou Kuzunoha VS King Abaddon
Tales of Vesperia

Just off memory, probably left off a bunch.

Eh, I feel like it's not that bad. I get what you mean, there were definitely some growing pains from last generation but there was plenty of good stuff. TWEWY, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4 can all easily be up their in best-of-all-time lists. Maybe it didn't help we were spoiled by just how bang-bang-bang awesome the preceding few years (2004 - 2007) had been.

Ever is a long time but it already destroys last year if you own a ps4. Nioh and Horizon alone are better than all that mp only trash from last year. Still have Mass Effect on deck.

Top Bottom