• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hasbro moves to create full-fledged film studio with Allspark

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/h...nched-allspark-pictures-exclusive-1202586233/

Hasbro has hired seasoned veteran Greg Mooradian to oversee the company’s film division, Allspark Pictures, as it attempts to create a full-fledged movie studio. As president of Allspark, he will oversee film and television production starting in January. Sources say the company has been making an effort to raise money to start its own studio for some time, and is trying to attract funding in the nine-figure range in order to properly develop its own slate of films. The hope is to transform itself into an industry player to rival Marvel Studios.

Hasbro’s lines of toys and games include Mr. Potato Head, Monopoly, and My Little Pony. Its products have inspired films with varying degrees of success. Paramount and Hasbro could not be reached for comment.

The company currently has a deal with Paramount. It wants to expand that relationship so that Paramount isn’t just distributing its movies, but is also partnering on financing films and developing projects.

sphagnum

Banned
They've been trying to become an IP company rather than just a toy company for about a decade. They actually do have a ton of properties that could make great action movies if they just didn't suck at it so much.

Joe and Transformers should have been a thing from day 1, especially when Transformers 1 had such a military focus
and classic Joe they didn't think worked in the current political climate.

Not to mention merchandise potential they don't really take advantage of
TF2010_HumanAlliance_Jazz%26Lennox.jpg
6gijoe-toyfair-2011_1297565805_1297567232.jpg

800px-DOTM-toy_Sandstorm_PvtDedcliff.jpg

I do wonder how Hasbro would operate though, even with all their IPs that wouldn't keep a studio for more than a few years.

kirblar

I can't wait to see the Transformers/My Little Pony crossover film.
They just attempted the "HASCON" convention, which was a Transformers/MLP/MTG/Board games crossover event.

Tickets were on sale for half off on Groupon two months before it happened.

It's already happened, didn't you see Age of Extinction?

small.gif

For reference.

Anyway, both Sony and Lionsgate messed up with the MLP movie, the former by requesting a lot of creative control (including one exec wanting it to be a trip to the real world like in Smurfs), and the latter with pretty bad advertising, including using low quality footage with wrong shading. Maybe they want to bypass that sort of thing for their smaller projects.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Didn't they already announce this? Using obscure as hell franchises like Visionaries, Micronauts and ROM? Which should be with Marvel by the way...

They've been talking about doing this for a long time now, Paramount pretty much has stalled their "plans" of it happening, so now they want to push it with their own film studio.

Didn't they already announce this? Using obscure as hell franchises like Visionaries, Micronauts and ROM? Which should be with Marvel by the way...

They did, but Paramount kept putting off and delaying Hasbro movies outside of Transformers. Paramount kept stalling on GI Joe so part 3 got cancelled and they are gonna reboot it, now as part of the hasbroverse.

Hasbro already got IDW to push the hasbroverse in their comics where all their properties are now in the same universe.

BigDes

Is M.A.S.K. under Hasbro? I want a M.A.S.K. / GI Joe crossover.

IDW has been giving people this for years

I get that you mean a movie but all this stuff has been happening in comic form for a while

One big integrated universe where the Transformers and G I Joe and M.A.S.K all pallin around

Fou-Lu

I am interested to see what will come out of them trying Dungeons and Dragons again, maybe this time with actual understanding of what D&D is. Also an MTG movie is inevitable at this point.

Ogodei

Long as it means more big-screen ponies (not that FiM the Movie was great, but another crack at it couldn't hurt)

sturmdogg

IDW has been giving people this for years

I get that you mean a movie but all this stuff has been happening in comic form for a while

One big integrated universe where the Transformers and G I Joe and M.A.S.K all pallin around

I haven't read any comics since the Jim Lee / Whilce Portacio X-Men days.

When I'm able to make threads, I'll post my full movie universe pitch that includes:
- Monopoly movie where Moneybags loses all his money after an attack on Jenga towers. A rag to riches story is his movie that leads into him funding the team.
- G.I. Joe movie with the "battleship" event trying to get Project NERF before Cobra.
- A movie exploring poltics between Ponies and Carebears.
- All leading into a movie where everyone teams up to fight Megatron after he creates an alligence with the Furby invaders.

But as others have said, the comics IDW have been publishing have given us the best verison of a "Hasbro Universe" that we're likely to see. With Bayformers laying the groundwork for this one, and I.P.s being used, I doubt exictement will be high for these movies.

Wulfric

I wonder if this will include the Magic: the Gathering movie. They've been trying to get that one off the ground for ages.

All of this talk of the Hasbro Cinematic Universe and no reference to the Ouija films HMPH

Origin of Evil was pretty decent, too!

But will it be Toy Story Mr. Potato Head, or a new one? Because if it's not that one then I don't care.

It just won't happen, like I figure most of this cinematic universes that are starting up production won't.

Maybe someday I can get them on board with my cinematic master plan...

Top Bottom