• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

So where does Bioshock force you to murder innocents?

The closest thing I can think of is Sander Cohen's quest, but even those characters are hostile towards you.

...Dude, it is the hinging point of the story.

Unless you consider everyone in Rapture to either be non-human or hostile, which is also valid. Even Tanenbaum is hostile towards you for a while.

JNA

Banned
We're not afraid of controversy. We know there will be one, but they're part of video game history and one game won't change anything. You have the same thing in lots, lots of games, the difference is we're not justifying anything - we want the player to think about the story behind it and to let him figure out himself what drives this fucked up dude who panned out idea in his head that he wants to shoot people.

Yep. Sounds similar to what I've been saying for the past hour lol.

Chances are there is a lot more to this character than the trailer showed us.

Decado

Been waiting for iso shooter with a good engine for a while. Game seems sasifyingly bloody.

If the gameplay is good, I'm in...I just wish they came up with a better premise.

Erevador

2e176b.gif
The murder of that woman... ugh, I can't take it. The way that her desperation is so carefully rendered is really disturbing.

I don't like it at all.

Seeing people compare this to HOTLINE MIAMI is ridiculous. HM has a purposefully abstract and over the top 8-bit art style. It's an absurdist abstraction of violence, not a clinical celebration of it.

JNA

Banned
Who was the guy that made that about why is there no video game about being a serial killer?

Kudos to that guy for making the thread because he just got his wish. XD

He should make more threads like that so we can see other games created too lol.

poodpick

The murder of that woman... ugh, I can't take it. The way that her desperation is so carefully rendered is really disturbing.

I don't like it at all.

Seeing people compare this to HOTLINE MIAMI is ridiculous. HM has a purposefully abstract and over the top 8-bit art style. It's an absurdist abstraction of violence, not a clinical celebration of it.

Looks like more realistic manhunt executions to me

-PXG-

Context, at times, is a clever, alternative and bullshit method of justifying one's questionable actions.

Look at games Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands, Uncharted, Killzone, ect, ect, ect...In all of those games, you murder hundreds if not THOUSANDS of human beings. But it's all okay, because you're the good guy and they are all bad buys. It's all okay, because you're in a war or a war like situation, where death and murder are common and totally alright. That, or your're a bad buy too, only fighting against those who are worse than you or merely in your way. Everyone one of those games has a context (read: reason) as to why your means justify the end: To find a legendary artifact, to stop an invasion, to stop an assassination plot, to save the world, ect. Still, at the end of the day, you still end up killing a shit load of people, yet nobody (whether it's in the game or in real life) questions it.

Now we have a game that doesn't lie about what it is. It's very honest, straight forward and cuts through all the bullshit. Oh, but now folks get all up in arms. It's quite funny actually. Just food for thought...

Hyper violent games can exist
This one just looks cliche

Write a design document of one that you think is better

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So let's see:

The plot of this game is "society disgusts me, let's kill every cockroach".

You're totally right. No mentally ill kid with social issues will look at this game and think "hey, I should do the same".

It's not like it has ever happened before.

And videogames haven't ever been blamed for those non-existant events.

DOOM was blamed for Columbine. GTA and Halo for numerous young people shooting their parents or police officers. Those games alone don't deserve the hate they get at all.

The mods like American School Shooter 2012 and the other Columbine RPG. Those games don't really do much and they weren't really part of the industry (they were mods or easy bake oven games). They had no lasting appeal to them at all, nor did they even look fun to play.

You aren't going to load up your console and see something like this on the title screen IMO.

Sandy Hook's killer had GTA, MGS, Half Life 2, and etc and that kid was a psychopath. It's more of the person than it is what he has on his PC or gaming device. Some of those games are harmless, but games like this seem tasteless.

...Dude, it is the hinging point of the story.

Unless you consider everyone in Rapture to either be non-human or hostile, which is also valid. Even Tanenbaum is hostile towards you for a while.

That's exactly what I said. Bioshock isn't comparable to Hatred because everyone you are forced to kill in Bioshock is hostile. I understand the
meta aspect of what Bioshock is saying about videogames
but the enemies' hostility changes the context of the violence completely.

It's a real shame it's skewing towards the "controversy for controversies" sake angle, rather than make a more compelling experience, especially since it looks like the game has great gunplay, awesome destruction physics, etc.

Imagine you played a slightly more cartoony horror movie villain, who had melee attacks and guns or some type of projectile weapon, and you can stalk the streets and kill people, but the better you do, people start making homemade weapons to defend themselves and then they fight against you, make barricades, etc.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's exactly what I said. Bioshock isn't comparable to Hatred because everyone you are forced to kill in Bioshock is hostile. I understand the
meta aspect of what Bioshock is saying about videogames
but the enemies' hostility changes the context of the violence completely.

I don't think BioShock should be even in the discussion. Go look at the art style, music, time period, etc. Of course that game has an M rating to it, but that doesn't mean that's all it was. You knew going in what you were expecting and half the enemies were not even acting like a typical human.

Couldn't even finish the trailer. Such a gross concept IMO. I'm fine with gore in games, but it really depends on who you're slaughtering. If it's zombies, demons, nazis, etc it's satisfying because they "deserve it." What kind of disturbed individual gets pleasure from killing innocent civilians? And basing a whole game on this concept? This is straight up filth IMO, but of course the devs are free to make whatever content they choose to. I won't be supporting this shit tho.

I do. :D

EDIT: In games, just so that is clear.

Hotline Miami is well aware of how over the top and fantastical it is. CARTOONISH even.

This game portrays an aura of being way more serious and the violence is far realer and in your face with these finishers.

Flintty

Wow! Excellent idea but very uncomfortable viewing, let alone playing. Not sure if it's a game for me but I hope it's not held back by press/morality issues.

JNA

Banned
In a weird way, it sorta makes me glad to see this game exist when it releases.

It creates hope for me that someday Six Days in Fallujah will finally get made...

Screw you Konami!

"This game totally misrepresents us gamers, when we enjoy murderfests, it's all bad people! It's ok to enjoy exploding heads when it's a bad guy! Can't you non-gamers see the context?"

Maybe this shit show will inspire someone to make a great game that treats violence with respect, but I doubt it.

-PXG-

Oh, at 0:46, that is clearly the Hong Kong skyline, lol

Anyway, I think it could be a fun, twin stick shooter, with a dark, atmospheric visual style, and yes, a very disturbing and twisted premise. I guess since I realized that how much murder you commit in other games (read my previous post), the fact I'm just pretty thick skinned overall, and, oh, that it's a goddamn video game, that this doesn't bother me too much.

Again, everyone talking, bitching, arguing, complaining, whatevering....you are doing precisely what the devs had hoped and precisely what they wanted. So congrats to you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who was the guy that made that about why is there no video game about being a serial killer?

Kudos to that guy for making the thread because he just got his wish. XD

He should make more threads like that so we can see other games created too lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910052&highlight=

He must of had some wonderful insight.

In a weird way, it sorta makes me glad to see this game exist when it releases.

It creates hope for me that someday Six Days in Fallujah will finally get made...

Screw you Konami!

Modern war games were more like fashion shows. The best dresser won the award.

So let's see:

You're totally right. No mentally ill kid with social issues will look at this game and think "hey, I should do the same".

What are you insinuating? That this (tasteless piece of shit of a game) is something new and never done before? That it shouldn't be allowed to be released because of the random hypothetical slippery slope scenario you muse on?

fallagin

Looks pretty fucking crazy and edgy. I am morbidly curious about it and how they plan to develop the character past "I am the edge master" though.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Phew! Lucky my morality doesn't require suspending, since I think it's morally acceptable to play videogames, regardless of their subject matter. Hurting real people is bad though, just in case anyone's on the fence about that.

That being said, the GTA defenses in this thread are glorious.

How about we all just agree that we have different tastes, and draw lines in different places?

No, dude. This game shouldn't get a free pass based upon head-up-your-ass, pretentious logic.

Simulated murder posing as fun should always be morally objectionable regardless of the context you present it.

This game, though? Where the very context is to embrace inhumanity?

Fuck that.

-PXG-

Top comment on YT

SGtMarkIV said:
I am disgusted. Not at the game, but at the comments. I have never seen this many number of hypocrites in a single spot of the internet.

So you think this is bad because there is no sense, and the guy is just murdering people for no reason? Let me tell you one thing: if you play Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or any other war-themed game, you have absolutely ZERO arguments to criticize this game.
When you put a country on an all-out-war state, you send everyone to the battlefield, and not everyone is happy to that. When you are killing an elite Waffen SS/Spetznas soldier, that ok, because you can be sure that you are killing a violent brainwashed and irrecuperable nazi/communist that deserved to die anyway, but when you are killing regular soldiers, it's not ok, there is a 90% of chance that you are just murdering a conscripted boy that never fully agreed to it's lider ideals and is only fighting because he would be executed if he had deserted, or is just fighting to protect his family and friends back at his homeland. If they are armed and can defend themselves unlike in this game, it doesn't matter. You are killing someone that never really wanted to take the risk. That's exactly the same thing as this game. If you think you are free from any moral responsibility when you are watching your projectile rip the organs of a wehrmacht soldier on slow-mo in Sniper Elite, or blowing up the head of a CT with a magnum on Counter-Strike, I have bad news for you: You are as much as a "psycho" and "tasteless" as the guys that are creating this game. So, please, either stop being an hypocrite and entirely accept that there is nothing wrong in enjoying fictional violence of any kind or level, or follow your "ideals of moral purity" and abandon all games that involves killing humans, or better yet, stop playing violent games at all, and go play only racing/puzzle/nintendo games for the rest of your life.

Now about the game itself, I really hope the devs will come up with some campaign. This would be a really weak game if it had only one game mode that you have to survive until you die. Also, would it be possible to have splitscreen co-op?

A big thank you to this guy.

Jaeger

The controversy the game creates will be bigger than the game itself. This immediately reminded me of Loaded and ReLoaded.

I plan on playing it, because curiosity.

NahaNago

that video was pretty disturbing but i was expecting someone to make a game like this eventually . Honestly if folks would think about it we already have games where we create traps and dungeons to kill folks(fable), we have the evil route, and fighting in hell inspired like environments flooded with blood, so this game and playing like the axe murderer in a horror game were always going to be the next step. Who knows maybe playing the bad guy will be the next big thing , why save the world when you can rule it or just plain destroy it yourself.

Erevador

I respect their ability to make everyone equally a victim.
I respect their RIGHT to do that, but I think they're pretty lousy human beings for making it the object and marketing focus of their game.

To be clear, I think they have the right to make whatever game they want, and people have the right to find that game totally loathsome.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Top comment on YT

Why are posts like that so admirable?

Because they can make the distinction of double standards? Is that it? Are we just applauding being a smarty pants?

Holy shit, it's incredible how we're using that to dance around the fact that this game is fucking gross, no matter what ironic commentary twist we try to throw at it.

I think games are art and all, but they are interactive, they're well beyond ultra-violent movies.

Shit like this is straight up irresponsible, imo.

Bergerac

So let's see:

Which part about the 'mentally ill' kid in your own example did you miss exactly? The mental fragility of such a person would be entirely responsible for any violent outbursts, which in turn would likely be brought on by anger at an environmental situation, and in which case would occur whether they'd seen this particular game or not. We really shouldn't be bringing psychology into this on such a basic level.

Let's look at the real example : this thread and everyone that has since seen the footage.

If this game, its violence, its 'lack' of context... were so influential, surely statistically at least one 'stable' person having watched the video is now due to go on a rampage having been 'influenced', by seeing it, no? Not because anyone here's 'mentally unsound', but because this game has an influential power of its own, right? Furthermore it's that that would also cause a mentally unstable person to act violently rather than the mental illness?

Yeah, precisely.

I watched the footage and like everyone else here will not be going on a rampage because a game like this cannot influence in such a way and nobody here, presumably, is mentally unsound enough right now to simply go act on an unrelated violent urge that will make headlines after coincidentally having just seen this footage.

Blaming any act of criminality on this game once someone has either seen or played it is absolute buffoonery, and if at most you guys think it is a steaming pile of turd on the artistic merit scale, it's worth nothing more than ignoring, and I can't disagree with your decision there. It's simply not for you. A Serbian Film isn't for me either, but that just means I'm not going to watch it. I just don't fancy it. I certainly don't think anything is going to come of anybody else watching it. Lobbying to get rid of Hatred is censorship and speaks to nothing more than fear of real violence being distorted to the point where you're blaming things that are just plain not responsible.

People that go spree killing already arrived at the idea entirely because of situations that happened to them in their personal lives. Ironically, in fact, plenty of you are missing the point - it's the direct opposite: The various examples of media in question - be they games, music, film - do not influence these people.

Rather they see in this media what they already have in mind.

JNA

Banned
Why are posts like that so admirable?

Because they can make the distinction of double standards? Is that it? Are we just applauding being a smarty pants?

Holy shit, it's incredible how we're using that to dance around the fact that this game is fucking gross, no matter what ironic commentary twist we try to throw at it.

I think games are art and all, but they are interactive, they're well beyond ultra-violent movies.

Shit like this is straight up irresponsible, imo.

What are you exactly saying? Because video games are interactive, people are more prone to cause violence if they played violent video games?

With all due respect, your post screams Fox News to me.

Mesoian

Top comment on YT

What's the Bruce Timm comic about the two psychopath hitmen who fall in love with each other and spend their time killing random people, only to find out that eventually the spark in a relationship only lasts so long, and their one great dramatic act of love is trying to kill each other?

That would be an amazing co-op mode for this. But of course, that would require Not Important to be more important than someone who refers to himself as Not Important.

JNA

Banned
What's the Bruce Timm comic about the two psychopath hitmen who fall in love with each other and spend their time killing random people, only to find out that eventually the spark in a relationship only lasts so long, and their one great dramatic act of love is trying to kill each other?

S8ehGWm.gif

XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom