• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haunting Ground ps2

Haunting Ground is one of the best horror games ever made

• yes, I agree

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • no, I disagree

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
I feel like this is a hidden gem on the ps2. I never played it back in the day so I thought I'd give it a chance now.
My god, this one of the best survival horror games ever. I wrote a review that captures my thoughts.
You play as Fiona Belli, an 18 year old girl who was with her parents in a car accident. The car crashed, your parents died and you wake up in a mysterious castle all alone with no idea why you're here. You find this castle to be empty and you're on your way to find the exit. Fiona is very sexualized, with her wearing a very short skirt and she also has big boobs that bounce around when you run. I mean, it's riddicuolus but hey, who am I to judge.

It wouldn't be a survival horror game without some enemies. Pursuers to be precise. The first one chasing you will be Debilitas. This is a large dude that obviously has a mental disability. And how do you get rid of him. Well, there isn't a way to kill your pursuers. You run away from Debilitas and then hide in a closet or under a bed. This is the game's main mechanic. Running away from enemies and hiding until the danger is no longer present. But you need to be careful. If you hide in one spot for too many times, your pursuers will eventually catch on and find you there. If an enemy grabs you you go in this state of panic. This sorta represents Fiona's state of mind. To much panic and you can die. Just before you're gonna die there's this effect with the screen going all nuts. After you progress to a certain point, Debilitas will no longer be your pursuer. Instead that role is now filled by Daniella. She's great as a character. Basically she can't feel pain or enjoyment and she can't have children so she thinks by killing you she will be able to have all these things. There's also a creepy scene where she wants to caress your vajayjay. Yeah. After a certain amount of time and certain events in the game, your pursuer will be Riccardo. He carries a pistol and actually shoots at you. There's an interesting story involving him that you will find out through out the game, so I won't spoil it for you. The final Enemy is Lorenzo, he seemed like your ally through out the game, but now you find out he isn't. I liked the pursue mechanic. I normally classify these games as walking simulators, Amnesia, Layers of Fear, and I don't like them. But I very much enjoyed haunting Ground. It's really well designed. And now I have to talk you about the dog, Hewie. He's gonna be your partner through out the whole game. And he's cute. You can issue 4 basic commands to the dog. By pressing up on your right analong stick you command hewie to search for items and go to a specific place. In battle this command is used for attack. Right is telling him that he did a good job. Down is a command for following and left is for scolding him when he doesn't listens to you. Apparently if you treat your dog poorly, he'll stop listening to your commands. I don't know, I didn't have a problem with this, he always listened to me and did what I told him to. Hewie is not the only one who can attack enemies. You can also by pressing square. You have this lame kick that is not worth using. here's crafting in this game. You can craft medicinal items aka recovery items for you and your dog and even some offensive ones. You can throw these offensive items at enemies, doing damage to them or stunning them allowing you to escape and hide. You have these holes in the wall, spread through out the castle and in them there's a machine that allows you to craft items if you have the necessary items. But it's rubbish. You have to press these colors and it's a very difficuilt and not precise. You'll be spending most of your time in this castle. It's a huge castle and it's designed pretty well with multiple paths, locked doors etc. The gameplay is pretty much a standard resident evil formula. Collecting items, keys, unlocking doors and solving puzzles. And the puzzles are not too hard but they are very interesting. Some even involve Hewie. There are boss fights with each of your pursuer. All fights have some clever tricks.

This is a playstation 2 game, so it's bound to look a bit dated. I've played this on the pc using a playstation 2 emulator. The audio is top notch, with earie ambiental sounds and shrieks. I love it. So is this game any good? Yes it is. I can see why it has a cult following. It's really scary and the fact that you can't really defend yourself, is pretty fitting for a horror game. It's gonna take you around 8 to 10 hours to complete. There are 4 endings, so there's some replay value here if you want it. Haunting Ground is a forgotten horror game and it's a shame. Keep in mind this came out way before Amnesia and Outlast games. I don't remember anything similar before haunting ground.
If I had to give a score to this game, I'd give it 9,3 outta 10.

And if you're too lazy to read, you can watch the review. I made it.

Have any of you guys played Haunting Ground? I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Played it once in 2011 and liked it. Not amazing but I appreciate when Capcom tried out new IPs with what Clover was putting out, this game, Dead Rising and Lost Planet in the mid 2000s. Really should replay it sometime.

For anyone in Europe I'm pretty sure Amazon UK had copies of it for £15 or so. Definitely worth trying out.

The Snake

This game is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of anything horror-related, including games of course, and the only survival horror games that actually make me feel tense are ones where you are pursued in real time. I grew up as a big fan of the Clock Tower series for this reason so playing this was a big treat back in the day.

The Snake

You most definitely should.
And man, kudos for owning the game. It's worth quite a bit on ebay. I imagine the price will only go up as the years go by.

I wish I had bought it back in the day. My buddy owned it and traded it into GameStop (probably Babbages or EB at the time) for next to nothing :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I would give you a gift for this beautiful thread but I can't at the moment..

HG is a beautiful horror game I remember when that fucker chasing me and I run to hide under the bed God that moment is terrifying .. I would love to see a remake

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm in the middle of doing as PS2 collection and have been thinking of checking this one out. Thanks for the recommendation OP.

This is a playstation 2 game, so it's bound to look a bit dated. I've played this on the pc using a playstation 2 emulator.

I'm playing on an actual PS2 and I had to get a HDMI converter to clean up the image quality a bit. Composite cables on an HDTV in 2020 is actually unplayable, with no exaggeration.

They have official component PS2 cables too but the converter I got seems to do a bit better job.

I'm in the middle of doing as PS2 collection and have been thinking of checking this one out. Thanks for the recommendation OP.

I'm playing on an actual PS2 and I had to get a HDMI converter to clean up the image quality a bit. Composite cables on an HDTV in 2020 is actually unplayable, with no exaggeration.

They have official component PS2 cables too but the converter I got seems to do a bit better job.
What kills it for me, is the 4:3 aspect ratio. That's why I prefer an emulator for these older titles. You can pretty much hack any game that doesn't support it natively, to forcefully be in that aspect ratio.

sunnysideup

Banned
The game was made with a crt in mind, play it on a crt. And dont change the aspect ratio. would you do the same with films? Damn.

Last edited:
I love Italian Horror:

Mario Bava
Lucio Fulci
Dario Argento

I also love the soundtracks from Italian Horror.

I’ve always wanted to know more about the history of ‘Haunting Grounds’ and wether or not Italian Horror was a huge inspiration. For me they capture that exact same feeling and it gives the title a very unique setting and atmosphere compared to almost any other horror title out there.

It hasn’t been replicated since - amazing game!

*for anyone interested in a movie with a similar vibe, check out:

Castle Freak

Last edited:
I love Italian Horror:

Mario Bava
Lucio Fulci
Dario Argento

I also love the soundtracks from Italian Horror.

I’ve always wanted to know more about the history of ‘Haunting Grounds’ and wether or not Italian Horror was a huge inspiration. For me they capture that exact same feeling and it gives the title a very unique setting and atmosphere compared to almost any other horror title out there.

It hasn’t been replicated since - amazing game!

*for anyone interested in a movie with a similar vibe, check out:

Castle Freak
I've never heard about these Italian horror directors.
I'll check them out, I'm curious.

I'm trying the game again after dropping it yesterday. My biggest peeve is dealing with the dog. I like to be able to understand game systems without help outside the game. For me;

The game has no HUD which I love but;
How much HP do I have?
Don't tell me
How much stamina do I have and what difference does it make?
Don't tell me
How much stamina does the dog have and what difference does it make?
Don't tell me
How do I "die"?
Don't tell me
Is the dog listening to me?
Don't tell me
Why isn't it listening to me?
Don't tell me
Do I admonish or praise the dog now?
Don't tell me
When exactly should I do either of those?
Don't tell me
Does it actually do anything?
Don't tell me
We're told it does, except I don't notice any difference.
Don't tell me

I've taken to thinking the dog is just making me feel as helpless as being chased does, and that's a deliberate choice.
I just wish there game systems were maybe clearer... or maybe that would ruin the game.

Either way, don't tell me. It would ruin the game if I don't figure it out myself.
It's kind of like how memory miners must find out exactly how much HP they have to the number in Resident Evil or how much damage an attack does. I hate that...

I wanna unlock Hard mode and do it this time around if I can reach the ending.

Last edited:
I'm trying the game again after dropping it yesterday. My biggest peeve is dealing with the dog. I like to be able to understand game systems without help outside the game. For me;

How much HP do I have?
You can sustain a few grabs from your pursuer. Near death is when you go into panic mode, the screen goes all nuts and you're unable to go into menu, ie meaning you cant use your recovery items, camomile etc.
not a lot. But there are status recovering locations and items
Don't tell me
How do I "die"?
you can die if you screw up a puzzle actually, get things wrong in two indentical rooms puzzle and you're screwed. But screen goes dark saying that you died. Maybe you lost sanity, but this is death
he does. I saw in a review that he can actually disobey your orders, but he always seemed to listen to me.
see above
if he doesn't listen to you, you should scold him, I think it's left on the analong stick. I always praised him (right on the analog stick) when he retrieved items for me.
when he doesn't listens to you, you should scold him
DI'm not sure. Like I said, he always seem to listen to my commands.
see above

I've taken to thinking the dog is just making me feel as helpless as being chased does, and that's a deliberate choice.
I just wish there game systems were maybe clearer... or maybe that would ruin the game.

Either way, don't tell me. It would ruin the game if I don't figure it out myself.
It's kind of like how memory miners must find out exactly how much HP they have to the number in Resident Evil or how much damage an attack does. I hate that...

I edited your spoilers with answers. You can look at them if you want or don't.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What kills it for me, is the 4:3 aspect ratio. That's why I prefer an emulator for these older titles. You can pretty much hack any game that doesn't support it natively, to forcefully be in that aspect ratio.

My converter has an aspect ratio switch. Been playing Gran Turismo 3 in glorious 16:9. Doesn't look stretched either.

81sOBYc5WZL._AC_SX466_.jpg

But yea its got nothing on good emulation. PC da goat.

KiteGr

I loved this game. Having played Clock Tower 3 before, I loved that game's trippy direction (despite the bad VA) but the gameplay was mediocre.

Here they kept the direction, but also fixed the gameplay a lot. Also the pursuers are themed more around Rapists of all shapes and sizes, rather than generic murderers. The game doesn't say it openly, but it leaves little to the imagination.

How much HP do I have?
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
How do I "die"?
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me
Don't tell me

I'll tell you!
The absence of hub is IMO the best thing about the game.
  • Fiona dies if she is attacked while having a major panic attack, fall into a trap, or get attacked by a 1-hit kill attack all pursuers have.
  • You can see how panicked she is by the screen effects.
  • You can see her stamina by the way she is breathing when standing still, or feel it by her reduced speed when running.
  • You can see Hewie's Stamina and mood by his animations (wigling tail, limping, ears down, ect...). He can't die, but will play dead and ignore you for a short time if injured.
  • Hewie will be disobedient in the early game and won't always listen. He becomes more obedient as you build his trust in you. Here are a few tricks from a dog owner that work in real life as well.
    • If he doesn't respond to a command, go closer and ask again. If he still doesn't respond, scold him.
    • Always praise him when he does something good or Treat him some snack (this one also restores health).
    • Telling him "go" on empty rooms will sometimes sniff out items.
    • Pressing R3 will make him sit. Pressing R3 again will shake his paw. This strength the bond.
    • Pressing R3 in combat will make him sit and prepare a strong attack, when the pursuer is in the sweet spot he'll growl, and then you tell him to attack.
    • Don't feed him crap like onions, don't kick him, and generally don't mistreat him.
    • At 3/4ths of the game, if you bond is not strong enough (unlikely unless you do it deliberately) you'll get a bad ending.
I've got the PAL version, but it has options for 50hz, 60hz and Progressive Scan, so the game can run very good for a PS2 tittle. I haven't touched it in a while, but I think it might also had a Widescreen somewhere in the options, but I'm not sure about that...

Completing the game unlocks tons of cool and silly goodies.
  • It will give you hints for words to write into plates that when inserted on their corresponding puzzle they create a different effect, often giving you equipments.
  • It gives you ridiculous costumes that don't just change your appearance but also modify your gameplay.
    • The Dominatrix costume has a whip attack instead of a kick for more range.
    • The Cowgirl costume give you a fucking gun!
    • The Frog costume make your back step not consume stamina and she sits like a frog.
    • The German Shepherd Hewie is stronger but less obedient.
    • The Plushy Hewie is weaker but takes less damage.
  • On hard mode the pursuers wear pallete swaps of their costumes, and the diary in the options is written from the perspective of Hewie.
  • A secret room in further playthroughs will house a secret key to leave the castle early and get a secret ending.
  • The usual Gallery room to watch/listen/read the videos, music, art ect at your leisure.
  • You also unlock a short mission where you control Hewie commanding Fiona.

This game is polished!

Top Bottom