• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it

Dio

Banned
I see discussions constantly online about X series or Y game and see this cropping up as a point of contention. People not possibly believing that people buy games because they see a hot girl on the cover, or a hot guy in a preview video, et cetera.

So, I want to ask you, GAF.

Have you?

I know I have. I played the Muv-Luv Trilogy because of Meiya (although, that's a visual novel series) and I played Arcana Heart because of Kamui (but that was partially because of her playstyle, and fighting games are hugely based on character draw for many people.)

I bet you can see where I'm coming from when I also say I love Ryougi from Melty/KnK and Laura from Trails of Cold Steel. You can see what kind of character gets to me.

EDIT: That being said, personally, I might as well clarify - I have never bought a crap videogame because of a hot girl or whatever. I just wanted to know.

Shizuka

I bought Persona 4 Golden because of Kanji. That, and because it was the highest-rated Persona at that point.

The intention of using sex is often to draw initial attention. You may not have bought a game because it's using sexual imagery, but that may be why it peaked your interest in the first place.

It's more complex than you're assuming.

latest

This got me interested in Dead Rising 1 back when it launched.

Fularu

Banned
As far as I can remember this has never been a concious decision.

I doubt it was influenced by it either. I mostly purchase jRPGs, Nintendo games and Blizzard games so maybe I'm not the target crowd?

Nazo

I'm pretty sure at least 15% of people that bought Neir: Automata did so solely because of 2b's ass.

Also, yes. I have.

Ferrio

Banned
The Dead or Alive games.
Rumble Roses.

Pretty much the games were that's the whole point. Can't think of any non-lewd game where I've done that. It certainly never hurts :D

Arklite

I tried Dynasty Warriors for the fancy looking characters, particularly the ladies. The games are boring, though.

Vlaphor

Fanservice can convince me to buy a game right away instead of waiting for a deal. Quiet with MGSV, Cindy with FFXV, Gerudo Link with BOTW

Corpekata

Banned
No. I can kind of understand it with like, movies and TV simply because the cost and time involved are far lesser. And also because those tend to have actual real people in them.

I mean, I guess I get it from a BONUS perspective, but for it to be an actual reason, no.

Dio

Banned
No, but I've a friend who falls for that. I mean, he bought Nier Automata for all the 2B images lol

Is it really 'falling' for it if you're self aware and you don't give a fuck? You like what you like. I doubt your friend is actually some dullard idiot like the way you seem to be phrasing it.

Beth Cyra

Yep I have.

Being able to play as a strong and attractive female is really something I enjoy doing as it's not something I feel I am in every day life? So yep yep.

Not if I can't be the female though, like just for a side character based on looks? Nope never done that.

Though I would be much happier buying a game if Chris looked like his RE5 self though.

Nope.

But games like Onechanbara, BMX XXX, and Guy's Game have appeal to me for the fact they exist with how crass they are. They're something you want to show to people.

AdaWong

Donte in DMC... I watched the game on youtube 'cause hes just so hot lmao to me when i was younger

Basketball

yes

Senran Kagura EV
Onechanbara
Tomb Raider Underworld
Nier Automata
DOA LR

come for the girl stay for the gameplay

to say it doesn't have an effect is clueless

You know what? If a game gets mediocre or average rating scores but it has a cool looking(doesn't have to be sexual) female main character, I'll most likely give it a shot over another average game which doesn't have that.

Wulfram

I'm aware of having checked out a few games based on some cool looking art of attractive and cool looking female characters, I can't recall this actually resulting in a purchase though I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Top Bottom