• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever had to give your CC security code over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

I was ordering a pizza over the phone with Dominos and the guy asked for my credit card security code. That sounded odd to me and I decided to not complete the order. Isn't the point of the security code that it isn't shared to another person, but only when using it online through their system? Even if it was a legit procedure from them, it would be me giving them every part of my credit card needed for fraud. Hell, the guy could even get the zip code from the delivery address. So firstly, does asking for the security code over the phone sound like a scam to you? And if not, how does Dominos make this their practice? It seems like a giant security hole for credit card fraud.

Sounds like a scam to me. You should never have to give that to a employee.

Looks like some people do this regularly. I've never encountered it, and I honestly would never do it.

It was because it's take out and they want to ensure you actually have this card you are paying with and not just the front part of it.

Who cares? If you notice an unauthorized charge, just call the card company and they'll take care of it for you. I have an alert set on my cards that emails me any time a purchase over a certain amount is made. And also I glance my statement over quickly before paying the balance each month.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Who cares? If you notice an unauthorized charge, just call the card company and they'll take care of it for you. I have an alert set on my cards that emails me any time a purchase over a certain amount is made. And also I glance my statement over quickly before paying the balance each month.

Eh, replacing credit cards sucks, but yeah, monetary risk is near zero.

Two Words

Then why bother with security at all?

Somnid

I believe the name, number and billing zip are all you need to put a transaction through. Retailers opt into the rest, but it's not required (I think for compatibility purposes) thus making it completely pointless from a security standpoint.

Basically they make sure the current transaction isn't fraud, it's not there to prevent your stuff from being being stolen, if that makes sense.

rtcn63

I worked for a bug place, and we took CC over the phone. We weren't allowed to recite the numbers out loud though, and anything written down would eventually be blacked with a special stamp or pen streaks.

Two Words

I believe the name, number and billing zip are all you need to put a transaction through. Retailers opt into the rest, but it's not required (I think for compatibility purposes) thus making it completely pointless from a security standpoint.

Basically they make sure the current transaction isn't fraud, it's not there to prevent your stuff from being being stolen, if that makes sense.
Before, Dominos did not require a security code. They would take an imprint of your card at delivery. I'm guessing they don't do that anymore. You can't make CC purchases online without the security code. So a person having that code would be able to do more damage. I bet Dominos just punch phone calls for orders through their web site, which requires the security code.

I don't. The onus is on the credit provider to secure their service, which is why they're willing to refund you for any false purchases and FedEx overnight you a new card.

The current method of manual entry is idiotic (borne of a combination of technological unavailability and convenience, obviously) and I'm hoping it will be replaced by something like Google Wallet or Apple Pay. They have an uphill battle against the retailers, though. It's a weird war that will be waged between huge names like Walmart and Visa, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I was ordering a pizza over the phone with Dominos and the guy asked for my credit card security code. That sounded odd to me and I decided to not complete the order. Isn't the point of the security code that it isn't shared to another person, but only when using it online through their system? Even if it was a legit procedure from them, it would be me giving them every part of my credit card needed for fraud. Hell, the guy could even get the zip code from the delivery address. So firstly, does asking for the security code over the phone sound like a scam to you? And if not, how does Dominos make this their practice? It seems like a giant security hole for credit card fraud.

There's an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where Faith buys plane tickets over the phone, and it includes a scene of her reading the security code to the phone operator who processes her order.

Jimmy Johns and any of the chinese delivery places I order from ask for the same thing. Number, expiration date, CVV code, and zip code.

Member876

Banned
Sounds absurd. Why can't you pay the delivery guy? I would never give my pin over the phone and I don't have to since I pay the delivery guy.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

the numbers on your credit card are easily replaceable. any unauthorized charges are at no cost to you.

what is the issue here? your credit card number is not something you should be worried about. it is made to be used

also, use the damn web site if you're so paranoid. the added bonus is you don't need to talk to a jerk off at the pizza place

MIMIC

Banned
I felt wary the first time I was asked (ordering pizza), but I did it without hesitation. I just figured that since they had everything else, it wouldn't even matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom