• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever heard of Cave Story?

Cave Story is a freeware Japanese Platformer/Shoot em' Up. Some nice fellows translated it over into English, and Damn it, the game is awesome. It might look like a SNES game on the outside but really it is much more. With a deep and balanced weapon system, and an awesome soundtrack are both included. With a pretty good story, and great platforming elements it is just the best bundle that you will get for free that you have ever tried. Some of you may also know this a Dokutsu. Also this is one of those games that you actually have to listen to the conversations to get through.

Here is the link to the English Patch.

http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yeah, it's come up in some freeware threads in the past. Great game.

Though it does get me pissed off when I think people made this, presumably in their spare time, without being paid and it manages to be better than 90% of the games released with proper budgets and worked on full time.

Yeah, one of my friends thought it was awesome, and made me download it. I'm stuck in the Plantation right now. I can't get past the platforming part where you are supposed to boost up through the blocks.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I wonder if the game's team could strike a deal to have it downloadable on VC and/or XBLA. They deserve to be rewarded for making an awesome game and it would help more people find out about it.

FiRez

Stopsign said:
Yeah, one of my friends thought it was awesome, and made me download it. I'm stuck in the Plantation right now. I can't get past the platforming part where you are supposed to boost up through the blocks.

I'm not sure where are you but you should trade your original weapon with the girl of the sand zone, with the third level of that weapon you can jump even higher.

I DL it becuase it was very mentioned in 4chan, the other one that I want to get is Ragnarok Battle Offline, anyway in cave story I'm having a hard time with the 2 dragons in the destroyed egg zone, I know they have a pattern like a megaman boss but is pretty hard when I don't have any rockets left

The game is awesome so far because it mix a little bit of metroid(exploration), gunstar heroes (upgradeable weapons and shooting) and megaman (boss battles and weapon weakness), my only grip is that pixel should have designed a better sprite for the main character.

Yes. I beat it and I enjoyed every second. It's a shame that most games in the NES era weren't half as fun as that. It feels very Metroid-esque, with RPG elements and some nice gameplay design. The soundtrack is very cool, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd like to find a download for this, but the homepage isn't working...

Anyone got a link (I'd prefer the non-English version, but either would work).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The Dragon Sisters are one of the easiest bosses in the game.
Hint:
Just fucking shoot it.
The game is really great, but it just feels like it's missing one thing to make it even better, but I can't place my finger on it.

FiRez

RevenantKioku said:
The Dragon Sisters are one of the easiest bosses in the game.
Hint:
Just fucking shoot it.
The game is really great, but it just feels like it's missing one thing to make it even better, but I can't place my finger on it.

Yeah, I finally beat them, and got the cheap ending.
But I decided to choose the other answer and I'm now at the throne fighting misery.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
it was pretty good but the entire platforming aspect weas broken by the machine gun. I'm not sure why the creator did that. There were still platforming elements later on as if he forgot he even gave you that machine gun.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
slayn said:
it was pretty good but the entire platforming aspect weas broken by the machine gun. I'm not sure why the creator did that. There were still platforming elements later on as if he forgot he even gave you that machine gun.

Cause you don't have to take the machine gun. So it's like an optional difficulty.

slayn said:

you don't take the machine gun in the "hard" path, so the platforming elements stay serious til the end.

I didn't want the Machine Gun. Instead once I got the Booster Pack 2.0. I went back up to where you got the Polar Star, and the Gunsmith upgraded it into a Megaman style charge beam called The Spur. It's Level 1 is the same as the Polar Star's level 3. It helps to beat mass quanities of bats in mere seconds. Then there is the Bubble Blaster which I bet non of you guys got. (did you?) There are so many secrets in this game. I have been roaming around looking for them.

RevenantKioku

Was the Bubble Blaster the one that combined the Polar Star and the Fireball? It seemed to suck so I just reset the game.

slayn

its been a while since I played this, but I do remember getting a bubble gun.

I dont remember picking any branching paths or harder areas or anything that I was aware of... I just remember being handed a machine gun and then I could fly limitlessly =\

and I'm not usually one in a game to be told, 'hey, do you want the best gun in the game? This is probably yoru only chance to ever get it' and say no.

RevenantKioku

slayn said:
its been a while since I played this, but I do remember getting a bubble gun.

I dont remember picking any branching paths or harder areas or anything that I was aware of... I just remember being handed a machine gun and then I could fly limitlessly =\

and I'm not usually one in a game to be told, 'hey, do you want the best gun in the game? This is probably yoru only chance to ever get it' and say no.

Except if you take the Machine Gun you can't get the best gun in the game. :p

slayn

I'd say being able to fly still makes it pretty damn good and up for consideration of 'best' ...

RevenantKioku

slayn said:
I'd say being able to fly still makes it pretty damn good and up for consideration of 'best' ...

There's a better jetpack upgrade though. Seriously, the game is quite balancing

slayn

well whatever. anyone reading this thread that hasn't yet played this game should get it, and I think they should turn down the machien gun. As it made the game way too easy.

The Bubble Blaster is the worst gun in the game when you use it's level 1. Once you got it to level 3 it kicked serious ass. It is great for taking out mass quanites of any enemy. Then there is a weapon called the Snake that can shoot through walls, and a lot more that I don't know about. I heard that it took this guy about 5 years to make it though. To bad he didn't leave his name behind. I would have donated some money to him for making such an awesome game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My friends claimed he beat
Hell
without hacking the saved game... not sure whether or not to believe him. The game is excellent though I have trouble on the final battle.

RevenantKioku said:
There's a better jetpack upgrade though. Seriously, the game is quite balancing

Yeah, but you have to skip the first Jetpack to get it. It make a few parts of the game insanely hard. I had to face a few boss battles in a row with 5-6 HP left. I sort of made it hard for myself though. Though my favorite weapon in the game was the Sword at level 3.

RevenantKioku said:
Was the Bubble Blaster the one that combined the Polar Star and the Fireball? It seemed to suck so I just reset the game.
No that's the Snake which can shoot through walls (usefull if you are doing time attacks in Sacred Ground).

slayn said:
well whatever. anyone reading this thread that hasn't yet played this game should get it, and I think they should turn down the machien gun. As it made the game way too easy.
I found flying with the machine gun (and discovering the ability by accident) to be insanely fun. Passing up the machine gun is a good way to go on a second playthrough.

Vlad

djtiesto said:
My friends claimed he beat
Hell
without hacking the saved game... not sure whether or not to believe him. The game is excellent though I have trouble on the final battle.

It's tough, but not impossible to beat. I can safely say I never would have gotten there without reading a FAQ, though... there were just way too many random odd things that you had to do that I'm pretty sure I never would have stumbled across it.

any tips for the final battle? I have the machine gun, fireball, blade, and missile launcher. feel free to spoiler tag it. I can make it to the final form, just with like 12 HP. :p

It's been a while, so I don't remember a ton of specifics. I think both forms of
the doctor
are pretty easy if you
hover over his head with the machinegun
. Any boss will take damage FAST if you
spam them with missiles, so use those on whichever boss gives you the most trouble

Johnas

I just started playing this game tonight...good stuff. The music really is good also, I was pleasantly surprised.

Is a gamepad recommended? I'm pretty fumbly with a keyboard, as I rarely play PC games, so it's taking me a little adjusting to the controls. I do like the floaty jumping mechanics though.

Murasame

I totally agree about needing an FAQ in order to find everything. This game had so many different paths you could take, and secrets hidden away. Beating the game taking the hard route was one of the toughest challenges I've faced in a long while. Simply awesome.

Daigoro

ive been meaning to try this game since the last time i saw it posted here at GAF.

im really gonna do it this time. thanks.

dark10x

This really is quite fun. I tried it briefly a while ago, but I only had my laptop LCD available and it was just so nasty looking on there. The gameplay is quite cool, though, so I think I could have gotten over that...

Is there, perhaps, a way to enable v-sync? I know this is not a commerical game, but it would really help. There isn't an option for it and it doesn't use 3D in anyway. However, it would really be nice if it scrolled smoothly...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Very nice little game! I never heard of it before. I too have a problem in what seems to be a jittery screen scroll, I guess the same thing Dark10x noticed. I tried all the offered screen modes but to nothing helped.

I'm not really all that familiar with what causes screen tearing, if that's even what you guys are seeing. I ran it on a CRT monitor with an 85 Hz refresh rate and a Radeon 9800 XT over VGA, if that helps.

dark10x

Parallax Scroll said:
I'm not really all that familiar with what causes screen tearing, if that's even what you guys are seeing. I ran it on a CRT monitor with an 85 Hz refresh rate and a Radeon 9800 XT over VGA, if that helps.
Load up a 2D side scroller on a console next to you and compare. You'll see the difference.

Top Bottom