• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever heard of Cave Story?

Johnas

Parallax Scroll said:
yes yes yes yes yes yes

Edit: A friend of mine went out and bought a gamepad specifically because he couldn't beat one of the bosses with a keyboard.

Update: I'm at the final boss tonight (I think) but I have to take a break for a while, my hands are killing me (I never play PC games, and I never got that gamepad, I've just used the keyboard). I have the Snake, the Bubble Blaster, the Rocket Launcher, and the Sword, I read somewhere earlier in the thread about skipping the machine gun, which I did, for better or worse.

A couple of questions: I found a little blue mushroom-looking guy in a cave who said I didn't need his help/he couldn't help me, something to that effect. Also, I found a room with 4 statues and a brown and green guy who also said nothing. Anything to these yet, maybe something post-game? I tried looking up an FAQ for the game, and found one, but it didn't offer much in the way of help. I saw something about a bonus dungeon, and I think a connection to that guy with the statues, but nothing about the little blue guy.

firex

Just curious, what are all the secrets to this? I've gotten the Stellar (I think that's the name, the gun you have to trade the Sword in for... which is actually a POS gun but it upgrades in reverse, and quite funny if you get it), Snake, Spur and so on. Beaten it like 3 times, once on easy and twice on the harder paths, but I've never fought
Hell
or found out how to get into that one door/area in the graveyard area.

Vlad

firex said:
Just curious, what are all the secrets to this? I've gotten the Stellar (I think that's the name, the gun you have to trade the Sword in for... which is actually a POS gun but it upgrades in reverse, and quite funny if you get it), Snake, Spur and so on. Beaten it like 3 times, once on easy and twice on the harder paths, but I've never fought
Hell
or found out how to get into that one door/area in the graveyard area.

Full walkthrough
http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/dmguide.txt

That covers everything, as far as I know. I don't remember offhand exactly what you had to do to get to
Hell
, but there's a pretty long string of events you have to correctly do throughout the game to get there, all of which are listed in that walkthrough.

Here's a list of other various secrets in the game:
http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/secretsfaq.txt

Ranger X

This is simply one of the best (if not the best) indie game i've ever played!

How come nobody is noticing this guy? Damn i wish there would be a full fledged version on my DS!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wyzdom said:
This is simply one of the best (if not the best) indie game i've ever played!

How come nobody is noticing this guy? Damn i wish there would be a full fledged version on my DS!

Match made in portable heaven. Maybe someone should bring it up to Reggie or Iwata at E3. I'm almost positive Nintendo has no idea who or what Pixel is. Or maybe even email Pixel about considering a DS version. The DS is huge in Japan right now. They would have to be very jaded Nintendo haters not to at least port the game.

Johnas

Finished the game tonight.

I know it's been said before, but people really need to play this, especially if you were (or still are) a fan of NES games. It's full of excellent platforming, really great music, and has a decent story to boot. The difficulty level is just right, IMO, and it'll probably only take you 6-8 hours of play (ballpark) the first time through.

I unwittedly beat it the "hard way", that is without the machine gun, but as I mentioned I thought the difficulty was perfect, so I'm guessing it's fairly easy with the gun. I never, ever play PC games, and I made it fine.

Time for a replay!

FiRez

I beat this game the last week, good game but I'm somehow dissapointed because the development of the story, there were so many interesting characters that could have been explained a lot more when the game ends.
-Sue
-the toaster (I forgot its name)
-Misery, etc

Yes, this game is great! I picked up this game back when it was first posted on insert credit and my friend found it. It really is one of the best games to come out in a long time. For those of you who want to take the fully "hard" path, I'd have to add that it seemed difficult to find all of the secrets you need throughout the game. I think the hardest one to find involved making a huge leap across a gap that required pretty much pinpoint precision, and it wasn't easy to even figure out that the jump was an option. So, I would recommend a guide(on your 2nd playthrough, please) that tells you exactly which decisions to make to get the hard path. Believe me, it IS worth it to play this game multiple times. :D

Johnas

Apologies for bumpage, but wanted to say I finally beat Sacred Grounds (Hell), the bonus dungeon. It was the most insane gaming challenge I've played in quite some time.

Who else here has completed Sacred Grounds? My time was pathetic (~11:51, I think) but I'm just glad to have finished it. The 2:17 speedrun previously posted blows my mind.

BlackTyrano said:
Yes, this game is great! I picked up this game back when it was first posted on insert credit and my friend found it. It really is one of the best games to come out in a long time. For those of you who want to take the fully "hard" path, I'd have to add that it seemed difficult to find all of the secrets you need throughout the game. I think the hardest one to find involved making a huge leap across a gap that required pretty much pinpoint precision, and it wasn't easy to even figure out that the jump was an option. So, I would recommend a guide(on your 2nd playthrough, please) that tells you exactly which decisions to make to get the hard path. Believe me, it IS worth it to play this game multiple times. :D

Weird, I did that jump on my first try 3 times in a row with out much problem, and without a machine gun.

Though I played through a second time now. Well really I beat and let my friend try from the beginning, and he accidently saved over my savefile. This game is definitely in my Top 10 most underated games of all time (or underplayed), and in my Top 5 games of 2005, which was a great year for gaming.

Murasame

My time was also pathetic... I wasn't really in a rush I was just simply trying to stay alive. I got around the 12~ minute mark. I've been playing through this game again recently, so if i do manage to get that far again I'll take a stab at improving on the record.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is really damn good. The control is spot on, as is the "weight" of everthing. Luckily I have a USB-PS2 controller adapter for my PC. Works like a charm.

Would love to see this game on Live.

It did, however, hard lock my PC just now, after playing about an hour.

Harmonica

Man, this game is really cool so far, but the music sounds horrible to me. Considering everyone has talked about how good it is, I'm pretty sure something's wrong. Anyone else encountered this or know a way to configure the sound settings?

Harmonica said:
Man, this game is really cool so far, but the music sounds horrible to me. Considering everyone has talked about how good it is, I'm pretty sure something's wrong. Anyone else encountered this or know a way to configure the sound settings?
Try this:
Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Advanced -> Performance.

Try adjusting the slider for Hardware Acceleration. Having the slider set to Full can cause the music to sound glitchy or can cause bluescreen errors on some systems. I believe I got the best sound quality with one of the two settings in the middle of the bar.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That did the trick for me as well. No more crashes and the music sounds much better.

The best spot was one over from the leftmost position on the acceleration slider.

Johnas

Parallax Scroll said:
Try this:
Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Advanced -> Performance.

Try adjusting the slider for Hardware Acceleration. Having the slider set to Full can cause the music to sound glitchy or can cause bluescreen errors on some systems. I believe I got the best sound quality with one of the two settings in the middle of the bar.

Many thanks! I installed this on a friend's computer last week and wondered what was going on. Mine didn't give me any trouble, but his computer is newer than mine and the music was off on certain notes.

RegularMK

I watched my friend play this and thought it looked incredibly awesome. I downloaded it, and installed the english patch.

Everytime I get into the game, my comp restarts. Help me! :(

Johnas

RegularMK said:
I watched my friend play this and thought it looked incredibly awesome. I downloaded it, and installed the english patch.

Everytime I get into the game, my comp restarts. Help me! :(

Look at posts # 71 and 72 of this thread, that should hopefully solve your problem.

Thaedolus

I searched, so I bumped...

After months of ignoring people's suggestions to try Cave Story, I finally downloaded it the other day. This isn't just the best free game ever, this is one of my favorite of all time now. It's amazing that one person developed it, and more amazing is the all-around quality. The music, artstyle, level design, gameplay and even the plot are all great.

Right now I just got the bad ending (say you want to escape). I didn't really think it would let me escape, so I guess I got what was coming to me. I'm eager to finish the game and try to get that bonus dungeon on the next playthrough, sounds fun.

loosus

Banned
Wow, this is pretty enjoyable.

My only complaint is that it doesn't give you any sort of warning about some things. For example, I thought those red, spikey things were simply background objects, but as it turns out, they BADLY damage you. Also, that door with the eye on it killed me, too.

At the very least, I think these objects shouldn't hurt you so much that they kill you if you have almost full life.

Az987

all good things
I heard about this a while ago but never tryed it but with nothing to do on a saturday I figured id give it a try and im having a blast so far.

woot woot :D

anyone want to beat me?

cavestory.jpg

Tellaerin

It looks like Variant Interactive is negotiating with Pixel to bring Cave Story to the PSP, and suggests bugging Nintendo if you want to see the game on the DS.

cs_boxart.png

Variant Interactive's page for the game.

A thread on the Variant forums that goes into detail about the project. (Though the original post mentions that '[Pixel] did officially sanction the project', they're apparently still negotiating with him, at least as of May 15.) To quote:

To summarize: totally real, Pixel-approved, boxart real, harass Nintendo for a possible DS version, Oldskool plus Newskool, no sellouts involved, PC version still free.

Sounds good to me. Now let's hope this actually goes somewhere.

Thaedolus

Totally awesome that this is coming to PSP, I hope they keep the old school graphics and soundtrack intact (no updated MIDI)

Thaedolus said:
Totally awesome that this is coming to PSP, I hope they keep the old school graphics and soundtrack intact (no updated MIDI)

I, uh, hate to burst anyone's bubble, but my understanding is that, in the world of reality, this release is (a) not actually properly authorized, and (b) has no chance of actually happening. Don't get too hyped up.

the game is pretty cool. does a wired 360 controller work with it? i tried using my wireless w/ battery charger usb plug-in and it didn't respond :(

He has a blog and he says that he is almost done with his next game. It is a Cave Shooter (ala Gradius). I don't know much about it though. My brother has been following him closely though. Maybe I should ask him.

Top Bottom