• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawks are BADASS Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimario

Banned
I live in a decent neighborhood bordered by absolutely nothing. Beyond my backyard is untouched nature for miles. Because that's true I get to see a lot of wildlife I would not have seen otherwise. I've seen coyotes... I've heard packs of 30 of them howling as loud as they can... but the coolest thing I've seen is the HAWK.

visualaid5xo.jpg

visual aid of backyard

FIRST EVENT
Yesterday morning I was outside feeding my wonderful pup and I noticed that on my side of the little river-shaped lake in my backyard that there were ducks all in a row and evenly spaced on the shore.
I watched them lay motionless for good while, but they then unexpectedly and all at once lunged into the water and dove down. A split second later a hawk swooped from right to left exactly where the ducks had previously been. Absolutely insane.

SECOND EVENT
Today I was outside playing with my pup and I noticed a hawk hovering roughly 300 feet in the air over the wilderness behind my house. He starting flapping his wings like crazy, went back to a glide, and then just dropped. He plummeted all the way down below the very low tree line, went out of sight for a second, then came flapping back up with something in his talons. He flew like 40 feet up, dropped it, then flew back down and stayed there. Insane.

Hawks are badass birds.

crumbs

I'd keep an eye on your dog, not sure how big it is.

Couple of years back, I was visiting my Dad down in N. Carolina. There was a large wooded area behind his house and I was taking his dog out to "do it's business". Anyway, I look over to the open lot next door just as a hawk swoops down and snags a small cat. I had never seen a large bird that close before, although I felt bad for the cat.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
crumbs said:
I'd keep an eye on your dog, not sure how big it is.

Couple of years back, I was visiting my Dad down in N. Carolina. There was a large wooded area behind his house and I was taking his dog out to "do it's business". Anyway, I look over to the open lot next door just as a hawk swoops down and snags a small cat. I had never seen a large bird that close before, although I felt bad for the cat.

yeah.. ive seen a small dog get taken. :(:(

btw. who is that in your avatar ?

Hawks (and raptors in general) are very cool. I like watching the sleeker falcons and harriers hunt a bit more than hawks or eagles because of their increased speed and agility in flight, but nothing-and I mean nothing-is as cool as watching any bird of prey retreive its dinner.

Birdwatching is great, and raptors are awesome. If you're at all interested in seeing more, contact your local Audubon society chapter. It's a fantastic hobby and I've gotten tons of people hooked on it since I started a couple of years ago.

olimario

Banned
Boomer said:
You call that a lake? :lol

It's river-shaped and man made. Still a lake by definition.

And I am watching out for my pup. We have her chained and under a covered porch right now, but even off the chain she only wanders to play with me and to do her dirty work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom