• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO confirms Game of Thrones Season 7 will consist of 7 eps and air in Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
Even though I enjoyed this season more than the last few, I'm looking forward to it ending. And that's mostly because nearly all the fun characters have either been killed, or are being wasted (Tyrion for example). Since George will take 5 more years to complete the next book I just want the ending already.

btrboyev

Why don't they just shoot the final two seasons at once? Production wouldn't much longer than a normal season. That way they can get season 8 out in the winter of 18. It would make sense.

JaseMath

I'd rather have it air in Fall 2017 with the final 13. The split season model pissed me off when AMC did it and I hate that HBO is doing the same.

Barzul

Hmm guess we're going to get episodes with a lot more going on in them which I can get behind. Good trade off for a shorter season.

Breaking Bad ended, Mad Men ended and now this is coming to an end too, what I am going to watch now?, I can't watch average mediocre/crap, my time is limited so I only watch the best of the best. I only have Fargo left now.

Why don't they just shoot the final two seasons at once? Production wouldn't much longer than a normal season. That way they can get season 8 out in the winter of 18. It would make sense.

Probably HBO doesn't want to spend all that money at once. If ratings were lower for some reason they still have time to slash the budget.

Sephzilla

Breaking Bad ended, Mad Men ended and now this is coming to an end too, what I am going to watch now?, I can't not watch average mediocre crap, my time is limited so I only watch the best of the best. I only have Fargo left now.

I started up Mr Robot and that's pretty cool so far

There's no way massive spoilers would stay bottled up for that long

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Breaking Bad ended, Mad Men ended and now this is coming to an end too, what I am going to watch now?, I can't not watch average mediocre crap, my time is limited so I only watch the best of the best. I only have Fargo left now.

Even though Better Call Saul isn't as good as Breaking Bad, it's still great and season 2 was way better than the first, so season 3 will probably be even better.

Westworld is also coming soon, that looks really good.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Breaking Bad ended, Mad Men ended and now this is coming to an end too, what I am going to watch now?, I can't watch average mediocre/crap, my time is limited so I only watch the best of the best. I only have Fargo left now.

Westworld is coming this year, not sure how it will be but going by J. Nolan's Person of Interest and the trailer it should be good.

There are so many good shows now:

The Americans, The Knick, and Narcos just to name a few

oatmeal

Banned
I wonder if they're keeping the overall budget the same for this one and spread over fewer episodes...

If that's the case, its going to be madness.

Probably HBO doesn't want to spend all that money at once. If ratings were lower for some reason they still have time to slash the budget.
If anything HBO wants subscribers for another 2 years instead of just one more year. Tons of people pay for HBO JUST for Game of Thrones. Makes business sense to draw it out.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not at all bothered by the shorter season since this past season had a few episodes where nothing fucking happened. If every episode is meaty and has material things happening, this is a good direction to go.

Even though Better Call Saul isn't as good as Breaking Bad, it's still great and season 2 was way better than the first, so season 3 will probably be even better.

Westworld is also coming soon, that looks really good.

Westworld is coming this year, not sure how it will be but going by J. Nolan's Person of Interest and the trailer it should be good.

Yeah, Westworld, I hope it delivers, We need another stellar show pronto

The last 2 seasons have had a bunch of filler and repetitive character moments that serve no purpose so I'm fine with shorter seasons. It will let them trim the fat and compact the total budget into more focused episodes.

It's heartbreaking for me that this is ending as there is really nothing out there on the horizon to take its place. Nothing with this sort of production scale and cool fantasy setting.

Still the lore of Westeros is so huge they could easily do a spin off series set during a different time. I really hope we get one even if it's a bit smaller scale

Take up anime

7927850.jpg

Elandyll

Banned
Hopefully each episode is longer then, as even though there will be less characters, plotlines and locations to follow, the scope of the events shown will be far grander than in the past (Siege of King's Landing, clash of the Yara and Euron fleets, War against the White Walkers...).
It makes sense to produce less episodes to concentrate the costs, but it would also imo make sense to shoot more angles and show more of whatever scenes they will actually shoot.
I hope for 1h30mn eps, but realistically I'd be happy with full 1h long eps.

Hopefully each episode is longer then, as even though there will be less characters, plotlines and locations to follow, the scope of the events shown will be far grander than in the past (Siege of King's Landing, clash of the Yara and Euron fleets, War against the White Walkers...).
It makes sense to produce less episodes to concentrate the costs, but it would also imo make sense to shoot more angles and show more of whatever scenes they will actually shoot.
I hope for 1h30mn eps, but realistically I'd be happy with full 1h long eps.

You're high as a kite if you think we're getting eps significantly longer than normal. They might be the 65ish minute length that I think Ep 8 was this year...but it'd be surprising if they were as long as you wish. Although feature length eps every week would be draining :p

The shorter seasons are partly about budget and not wanting to do filler so...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And after the last season they'll do a prequel series. You think HBO is going to let this cash cow go just because they ran out of books to adapt? They don't really have anything in their upcoming line up that looks like it has the ability to become the next Game of Thrones except perhaps West World.

I expect we'll hear about a prequel series based on Dunk and Egg or maybe the original war for the Iron Throne with Rhaegar and such.

My current favorites are The Leftovers (season 2 was the best thing on HBO since the golden days of HBO), Halt & Catch Fire, Mr. Robot, Love, and of course Fargo. While I can watch mediocre crap every once and awhile (I did finish the awful Sons of Anarchy and I''m still watching Vikings, so I'm far from prefect), I hate wasting time with TV. Also I really miss Mad Men bad.

I have yet to watch an episode of The Americans. I need to.

The accelerated pace of Season 6 really brought down my enjoyment. It's a bummer they're chasing the ending so much that it's changing the show structure and tone. I respect their decision not to drag the show out season after season though.

That said, I'm not particularly thrilled by this news. Also, Summer is a shitty time to watch the show about Winter finally arriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom