• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max de-arms Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam: No Guns in the new Looney Tunes

LarknThe4th

Why cant they just put a disclaimer at the start? this is desecration of an art form

I dont give a fuck about guns but this is soooooo stupid!

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Thing I was always found funny as a kid was that in the GI Joe cartoons there was freaking laser gun fire flying everywhere but you never saw anyone actually get shot.
Nobody ever died. Vehicles and building got blown to smithereens but again, nobody ever got hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

GV82

rtKyRxy.jpg

They’ve given him a Scythe & they are still allowed TNT & Cartoony Acme style cartoony violence.

Though they should have made new characters to go with these new weapons & retired Fudd & Sam instead.

Wouldn’t be the first time I have seen it though, anyone remember the well liked Spider-Man The Animated series from 1994 that gave the Punisher Lazers & Nets as well as toned down violence overall and they weren’t allowed to say dead etc 🤣 and that was 1994, pre-Disney

Last edited:

nkarafo

I dont know but a scythe sounds far more gory and violent than having a bunch of pellets stuck in your ass. Melee weapons tend to be scarier IMO because they need more effort from the weilder and they are more direct, thus making him look more menacing and violent.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
Thing I was always found funny as a kid was that in the GI Joe cartoons there was freaking laser gun fire flying everywhere but you never saw anyone actually get shot.
Nobody ever died. Vehicles and building got blown to smithereens but again, nobody ever got hurt.

I remember a GI Joe where a tank goes over a cliff and you see 3 parachute pop out before the tank hits the bottom

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dismantling the culture so brazenly at this point. Yes Fudd’s entire personality was “he has a gun and wants to hunt wabbits”

Surprised Santa Claus hasn’t been cancelled yet. Would be a good troll move to try and start that up

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

It may not seem like much, but a lot of artistic control is lost here. So many classic gags rely on cartoony gun violence. It may just not feel like Loony Toons with restrictions like this.

GeorgPrime

Banned
User banned : permanent - laughing at racist stereotypes
rtKyRxy.jpg

They’ve given him a Scythe & they are still allowed TNT & Cartoony Acme style cartoony violence.

Though they should have made new characters to go with these new weapons & retired Fudd & Sam instead.

Wouldn’t be the first time I have seen it though, anyone remember the well liked Spider-Man The Animated series from 1994 that gave the Punisher Lazers & Nets as well as toned down violence overall and they weren’t allowed to say dead etc 🤣 and that was 1994, pre-Disney

You should fire the person in charge for even coming up with the nonsense...... a hunter with a sense looks more like a serial killer. It just makes no sense to get rid of the gun and give him something that is even more brutal and fearsome.

Blond

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Looney Toons/Tunes stop using guns for years? Something in the 90s I think, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't watched any of them since the early 00s

Seriously, I don't think people realize how much more you can get away with in Cartoons. If anyone is familiar with the Xmen cartoon that show was pretty much being rewritten/tweaked EVERY episode because of how "Mature" it was, and they still managed to pull it off.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Looney Toons/Tunes stop using guns for years? Something in the 90s I think, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't watched any of them since the early 00s

Seriously, I don't think people realize how much more you can get away with in Cartoons. If anyone is familiar with the Xmen cartoon that show was pretty much being rewritten/tweaked EVERY episode because of how "Mature" it was, and they still managed to pull it off.

On one hand there's those examples,

on the other there was Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ren and Stimpy and Rocco's modern life who had a dog called Spunky

frostyxc

When I click on a thread with "de-arms" in the title, I expect to see some graphic amputee-positive por--... ahem, cartoons being discussed. Then, I realize that the author of this thread actually means"disarm", and I'm about to move on with my pathetic life when I peruse a bit further and see nothing but hot scythe talk and imagery being bandied about. So, Ernie Flood is neither disarmed or de-armed at all! The Brothers Warner seem to have just primitive-ized his killing implement... AT BEST. I feel let down, misled, and far less horny than when I entered this ragged thread. Such a shame...

Lrnex

When I first heard this I thought they were going back to the classic series and altering them. Knowing it’s just a reboot I’m not really bothered by it.

I feel like a looney tunes reboot isn’t exactly something people were clamoring for though so this controversy is probably the best and only free advertising they’re gunna get

#Phonepunk#

Banned
You know how many gags we can do with guns? Fairly few.
He appeared in 62 cartoons in the Golden Age (74 If you count the Egghead shorts), plus a cameo in "Rabbit Rampage" making it a total of 63 (or 75).

i do appreciate creators just straight up telling us they are incapable of coming up with new ideas

the best were already done by the old guys.
LOL and admitting to failure right from the start

Last edited:
Top Bottom