• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO order Crichton's 'Westworld' series, Anthony Hopkins & Evan Rachel Wood to star

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few Westworld posters that were snapped over at the MIPTV festival in Cannes right now. There's no telling if this is final key art for the show, but it's something:

OWfBRxE.jpg

Ztxi6kC.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh, its this year? For some reason I thought it was further off. I can't wait.

Should be on the air for the fall, alongside The Leftovers.

It seems likely from a lot of tidbits going around that comics writer extraordinaire Ed Brubaker is part of the writers room.

I love how great hbo is about keeping things under wraps. It's refreshing in this day and age to go in completely fresh to a new movie or tv show

Wasn't there another show HBO was working on that was based on a sci fi book series? I remember being interested when I heard about it, sounded like Game of Thrones in space. Anybody know what I'm talking about ?

Fjordson

Wasn't there another show HBO was working on that was based on a sci fi book series? I remember being interested when I heard about it, sounded like Game of Thrones in space. Anybody know what I'm talking about ?
Hmm. I know Jonathan Nolan is involved in a show adapting Isaac Asimov's Foundation books. Only thing I can think of comping up for HBO that involves space.

Hmm. I know Jonathan Nolan is involved in a show adapting Isaac Asimov's Foundation books. Only thing I can think of comping up for HBO that involves space.

I think that's it! Sounds awesome. And my googling also turned up Ghosts of Valhalla which sounds good too.

Looking forward to some quality HBO sci fi.

A few Westworld posters that were snapped over at the MIPTV festival in Cannes right now. There's no telling if this is final key art for the show, but it's something:

OWfBRxE.jpg

I have no idea what this is about but that is an awesome poster and now I want to watch the show.

Fjordson

I think that's it! Sounds awesome. And my googling also turned up Ghosts of Valhalla which sounds good too.

Looking forward to some quality HBO sci fi.
Yeah really hope that turns out well. The original Foundation trilogy is mind blowing. Some of the greatest sci-fi novels ever.

mujun

The Expanse? That's Syfy, though.

From a THR cover story on HBO:

- HBO's Real-Life Game of Thrones: The Fight to Stay Rich, on Top and Score Bill Simmons
Eager to replicate Thrones' success, HBO has loaded up on other period and "otherworld" epics, including adaptations of the futuristic sci-fi film Westworld (from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan) and the U.K. genre conspiracy thriller Utopia (David Fincher and Gone Girl's Gillian Flynn). The noisier, the better, suggests HBO's drama chief Michael Ellenberg, who says of the crowded landscape, "Your biggest fear is that you put something out there and no one gives a shit." But mounting that next batch of would-be blockbusters won't come easy. Already, Westworld has blown its initial plan to launch later this year. "The pilot is a really powerful starting point," says Lombardo, "but when you're doing a series, you go, 'OK, so what's the next episode? What's bringing you in?' You can't just be a spectacle every week."
So are they going to push it back to 2016? This is the first I've heard of it.

Another THR article from a couple of days ago:
Based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film, Westworld centers on an inventor (Anthony Hopkins in his first series regular role) who runs an adult amusement park populated by lifelike robots. The project boasts an A-list cast that also includes James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright and Miranda Otto. The series is slated to premiere later this year.
*shrugs*

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
From a THR cover story on HBO:

- HBO's Real-Life Game of Thrones: The Fight to Stay Rich, on Top and Score Bill SimmonsSo are they going to push it back to 2016? This is the first I've heard of it.

Another THR article from a couple of days ago:*shrugs*

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh well, perfection takes time I suppose. I wonder what HBO has planned for the fall then? Westworld is out, Rock & Roll drama is barely in pre-production and won't be ready...Crime, maybe? That's been in the works for quite a while. Codes of Conduct might be ready too...

Or maybe it's just The Leftovers. :/

Dan

I'm not really surprised. It's been looking like a July production start for a couple months now... that'd be pretty fucking tight to get a show like this on the air in September/October. Not sure where they hit a snag. That piece almost makes it sound like they began to reconsider the overall story plans, or the production ambition.

HBO is going to be pretty barren this fall. The Leftovers, Getting On and....? Is that Crime miniseries ready to pop up? I'm still kind of confused about whether that was quietly produced or not... and it desperately needs a different title.

Blader

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh well, perfection takes time I suppose. I wonder what HBO has planned for the fall then? Westworld is out, Rock & Roll drama is barely in pre-production and won't be ready...Crime, maybe? That's been in the works for quite a while. Codes of Conduct might be ready too...

Or maybe it's just The Leftovers. :/

I've never seen such a hype-deflating downgrade as I have with that (mini?)series. From Gandolfini, then De Niro... to John Turturro. Come on!

Dan

It feels like everything at HBO has been taking longer than expected. The Leftovers took awhile to configure its return. Utopia hasn't been heard of in months, despite Fincher saying that was his focus this year. Instead he did some work on that music video show, Videosyncrazy, which recently paused production after a few episodes because HBO wasn't liking what they were seeing, with them and Fincher looking over everything and reevaluating. That Scorsese/Winter/Jagger rock 'n roll series has been slow to get moving, and to me it sounds incredibly uninteresting anyway.

I've never seen such a hype-deflating downgrade as I have with that (mini?)series. From Gandolfini, then De Niro... to John Turturro. Come on!
Frankly, I'd have more confidence in John Turturro than modern day De Niro caring enough to deliver a real performance.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not sure where they hit a snag. That piece almost makes it sound like they began to reconsider the overall story plans, or the production ambition.

I initially missed that part, but you're right - it does sound like they hit a snag creatively. Hopefully they get things worked out before too long.

HBO is going to be pretty barren this fall. The Leftovers, Getting On and....? Is that Crime miniseries ready to pop up? I'm still kind of confused about whether that was quietly produced or not... and it desperately needs a different title.

Show Me a Hero: Aug 16 - Sep 20
The Leftovers: September - November
Getting On: November (I'm guessing, since that's when the first two season aired)

I would guess they'd try to air something else too - maybe Crime or Codes of Conduct, or maybe something international like Doll and Em season 2.

Dan

Yeah, Show Me a Hero will drift into the fall. Not sure how quickly Codes of Conduct is ramping up. Maybe some of those low key comedy pickups will materialize for the fall.

HBO having trouble getting things actually done and on the air?

Quick, to my fainting couch.

At least we'll have The Leftov...I can't even type it as a joke.

Joni

It sounds like they have a problem with their overal pacing, which is normal. Westworld isn't a long movie. It is not even two HBO episodes. First episode basically needs to have only the working park with maybe a little tease. That would however be hard to sell as a pilot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So Hbo has nothing for the rest of this year ?

They have:

Show Me a Hero (miniseries from David Simon)
The Leftovers season two
Getting On's third and final season
Doll and Em season two

They haven't announced their fall schedule yet so we don't know if they have anything else.

They might try to fast track their rock drama from Terence Winter or Steve McQueen's limited series, Codes of Conduct. There's another miniseries called 'Crime', which has been in development for a long time that they might try to get out this year as well. Alsooo they've had several half hours in development for a while so maybe we'll get to see one of them as well.

I would be surprised if they didn't have anything else lined up aside from the above 4.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Westworld’ Adds ‘House Of Cards’, Borgen’ & ‘Once Upon A Time’ Actors To Cast

With Miranda Otto having now exited Westworld, Sidse Babbett Knudsen to take over the role Otto played in the pilot - Theresa Cullen, the pivotal operations head of Westworld.

Eion Bailey will now portray Logan on Westworld. A self-indulgent ladies man who is a return visitor to Westworld, the character is well versed in inhaling all the pleasures that it has to offer. At the same time, Logan is looking out for his Westworld newbie friend William who comes to see the park in a whole new way over time.

Jimmi Simpson, who has been a presence on House of Cards the past two seasons as troubled tech wiz Gavin Orsay, plays the William character.

Pacific Rim actor Clifton Collins Jr, will play Lawrence, a sly criminal who really knows his way around Westworld.

One more minor recasting note:
EW said:
There’s a casting change behind the scenes on HBO’s Westworld: Actor Eion Bailey (Once Upon a Time) is leaving the sci-fi thriller a week after he was announced as joining the show. A scheduling conflict emerged before Bailey started, and now Ben Barnes (The Chronicles of Narnia franchise) is taking over the role of Logan.

The character is described as a “louche bachelor and veteran Westworld guest. His hedonistic romp through Westworld is equally motivated by self-indulgence and a desire to help his friend, William.”

Westworld stars James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Anthony Hopkins, Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris in the series version of Michael Crichton’s techno-thriller about androids run amok at a fantasy-fulfilling theme park. Previously, actress Miranda Otto left the series after shooting the pilot after her character was re-conceived, and joined the fifth season of Showtime’s Homeland. The show is planned for 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom