• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it was also a case of D&D wanting to move on since according to GRRM they skipped an entire book worth of stuff.
They wanted to rush into their Star Wars deal that ended up falling apart. And it probably did due to Disney seeing how they handled and rushed the final seasons of GoT and the fan fallout.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I thought it was a good episode, but not my favorite. I can understand the more world building and get away from the infected for a bit. My mother loved it.

vpance

It is crazy to me that a video game is more subtle than a tv show. It's supposed to be the other way around.

It's just the writers. Hollywood doesn't deserve to be held to a higher standard anymore.

TLoU1 had that subtlety and maturity to the story, whereas TLoU2 was as subtle as this last episode was.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The Last of Us” has become a bona fide hit for HBO. After achieving record-breaking viewership with both Episode 1 and Episode 2 and scoring an early renewal for a second season, the series has already reached new heights with 6.4 million viewers having tuned into the third installment Sunday.
The series entered HBO’s roster as the brand’s second-most viewed series premiere in over a decade, comparable only to the debut of “House of the Dragon” in 2022 — and by its third episode, “House of the Dragon” viewership was already dropping. By contrast, “The Last of Us” Episode 3’s 6.4 million viewers represent a 12% percent increase from last week’s 5.7 million, which itself was a 22% percent improvement on the first episode’s 4.7 million.
Along with the new “Last of Us” Episode 3 results, WBD also reported Tuesday that for the first time ever, HBO has four different series — across all genres, including limited series — tracking at 15 million viewers or more per episode: “The Last of Us” at 21.3 million viewers, “The White Lotus” Season 2 (which concluded in December 2022) at 15.5 million, “House of the Dragon” (which concluded its first season in October 2022) at 29 million, and “Euphoria” Season 2 (which concluded in February 2022) with 19.5 million.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Obviously no one wants to lose someone they care for but your point was that Ellie was already in Joel's mind as someone has he to protect at nearly all costs like Tess and at that point in the story she ain't(in the game at least).
No, my point is that every bit of dialog and conversation with these characters will contribute to Joel's actions going forward.

You're basically saying it's irrelevant because "he was going to do it anyway."

Bill and Tess' words are not required to drive the point home, but they make a far better story by doing it as it relates to Joel and his character. These are one of the reasons why these scenes are made and why characters die. It emotionally impacts the character and the audience

And yet at that point Joel wants to get rid of Ellie and go his own way. It's only because Tommy's too deeply rooted where he is that Joel stays with Ellie. The show will probably chance it though.
What? lol

Tommy was ready to deliver Ellie to the Fireflies, but Joel changed his mind after his conversation with Ellie. Joel was scared of losing Ellie. You can literally see on Joel's face that he regretted saying those things to her at the house.
Seems you misunderstood my argument then. My argument is that the game gives plenty of motivation for Joel to complete his mission and so if the show is coming up with new motivational stuff, it might be because it's going to replace things from the game in future episodes.
Like I just said, you're basically saying it's not required because he was eventually going to do it anyways.

People who love to point out "bad writing" should know that you have to build moments in stories. In the end, people are going to remember Bill and Tess's words are one of the defining moments of the series. You want people to go back and look and say, "This why Joel did this. This is why he fought so hard for Ellie." Not only will this help the audience FULLY understand Joel's decision, it will also make the audience care about characters outside of Joel and Ellie.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If this show simply focused on Joel and Ellie, without delving into other characters, it would lose its luster within a couple episodes.
By episode 2 I was already starting to lose a little interest, as set pieces only go so far. The Joel and Ellie relationship isn’t exactly riveting television, and the clickers are just more of what I’ve seen a thousand times already.
I’d rather be surprised at this point and see a good story with side characters, over more “walking dead”.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If this show simply focused on Joel and Ellie, without delving into other characters, it would lose its luster within a couple episodes.
By episode 2 I was already starting to lose a little interest, as set pieces only go so far. The Joel and Ellie relationship isn’t exactly riveting television, and the clickers are just more of what I’ve seen a thousand times already.
I’d rather be surprised at this point and see a good story with side characters, over more “walking dead”.
Yep. Which is why I'm enjoying the deviations they are doing from the game. It's still on course, but gives a fresh new dynamic as to why certain actions were done.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

wish it was sunday already

uHTqdEl.jpg

Good episode but they should have kept bill alive and added parts from the game that we remember. They should keep it as close to the game as they possibly can while adding on back story. If Bill never died in the game then he shouldn't in the show either.

Hearing some very good things about this series. Hopefully they release a box set because i refuse to stream this.

Sorry about being an asshole earlier that's my bad. I worked with homosexuals before and the ones I know are wonderful people.

DragonNCM

Episode 3 was 10/10 for me, very good story telling & cast was grate specially for Bill & Franc (just fast forward 30s every love scene because my daughter started asking strange questions.....).
Joel & Ellie relation getting strong setup for next episodes.

Ulysses 31

No, my point is that every bit of dialog and conversation with these characters will contribute to Joel's actions going forward.

You're basically saying it's irrelevant because "he was going to do it anyway."

Bill and Tess' words are not required to drive the point home, but they make a far better story by doing it as it relates to Joel and his character. These are one of the reasons why these scenes are made and why characters die. It emotionally impacts the character and the audience
Naw, again you're misinterpreting my point. I never said no built up is required to get Joel to care for Ellie. I said the game had enough built up for it so if the show is making up more I suspect it's going to replace (some of) the built up seen in the game.
What? lol

Tommy was ready to deliver Ellie to the Fireflies, but Joel changed his mind after his conversation with Ellie. Joel was scared of losing Ellie. You can literally see on Joel's face that he regretted saying those things to her at the house.
Not before the attack he wasn't. But even with the change of heart afterwards it doesn't change my point, Joel wanted to dump Ellie at that point of the story. It's not till later that Joel has his change of heart.
Like I just said, you're basically saying it's not required because he was eventually going to do it anyways.

People who love to point out "bad writing" should know that you have to build moments in stories. In the end, people are going to remember Bill and Tess's words are one of the defining moments of the series. You want people to go back and look and say, "This why Joel did this. This is why he fought so hard for Ellie." Not only will this help the audience FULLY understand Joel's decision, it will also make the audience care about characters outside of Joel and Ellie.
You're continuing form a misinterpretation. I never said it doesn't need to be built up because it's going to happen anyways. I said they're adding motivational stuff in the show so it stands to reason some of the motivational stuff from the game might get cut or altered.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They did the Walking Dead trick very early. It is interesting to have such a filler episode in a 9-episode series. If even the sexual life of a character like Bill, who is rarely mentioned in the game, is described in such detail, I expect "the Handmaiden" like performance from Ellie.

Elog

Thought episode 3 was a pure masterpiece in terms of story telling and acting. Simply brilliant.

Ps. And I understand that some usual elements will hate it but that just is what it is

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They did the Walking Dead trick very early. It is interesting to have such a filler episode in a 9-episode series. If even the sexual life of a character like Bill, who is rarely mentioned in the game, is described in such detail, I expect "the Handmaiden" like performance from Ellie.
Well, Anna is confirmed to be in it with a flashback, so we shall see how that transpires.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Naw, again you're misinterpreting my point. I never said no built up is required to get Joel to care for Ellie. I said the game had enough built up for it so if the show is making up more I suspect it's going to replace (some of) the built up seen in the game.

You're continuing form a misinterpretation. I never said it doesn't need to be built up because it's going to happen anyways. I said they're adding motivational stuff in the show so it stands to reason some of the motivational stuff from the game might get cut or altered.

Here are your exact words.

I find this a bit of a weird take, game Joel opens up to Ellie eventually and he didn't need to see a couple living out their lives. The dangers and obstacles they get through together was bonding enough.

He told you why Joel opened up to Ellie in the game and this was your response. The problem is that you're treating his interactions with Bill as irrelevant because he was eventually going to open up to her anyways.

There's no misinterpretation. I'm just explaining to you how every single interaction with these characters has a meaning and a purpose.

Not before the attack he wasn't. But even with the change of heart afterwards it doesn't change my point, Joel wanted to dump Ellie at that point of the story. It's not till later that Joel has his change of heart.

Joel wanted to dump Ellie because was scared of losing her. You tried to tell me that Tommy was deeply rooted and that's why Joel took Ellie himself, which is NOT true. Ellie told Joel that EVERYONE she CARED for has either died or left her, EVERYONE except for Joel and she would be scared with anyone else. This was the moment when Joel decided to take Ellie for himself.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Episode 3 was 10/10 for me, very good story telling & cast was grate specially for Bill & Franc (just fast forward 30s every love scene because my daughter started asking strange questions.....).
Joel & Ellie relation getting strong setup for next episodes.
Don't say that here, you'll be labeled and assaulted because your kid asked you questions. You liking the episode doesn't matter you must be teaching her improperly because she asked.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Don't say that here, you'll be labeled and assaulted because your kid asked you questions. You liking the episode doesn't matter you must be teaching her improperly because she asked.
Eh, to each their own as far as raising their kids goes, I wouldn't let my daughter watch this series because she's 8, but if she was, say 13 and asked questions, I would totally let her watch and break it down for her.

Ulysses 31

He told you why Joel opened up to Ellie in the game and this was your response. The problem is that you're treating his interactions with Bill as irrelevant because he was eventually going to open up to her anyways.
I was saying that the new stuff in ep3 was unnecessary if they stick to the game. But since it's deviating, further stuff from the game might get cut or altered.
There's no misinterpretation. I'm just explaining to you how every single interaction with these characters has a meaning and a purpose.
You're ignoring the "if they stick to the game" part of my argument. If they don't stick to the game then the new stuff will probably be meaningful later on.
Joel wanted to dump Ellie because was scared of losing her. You tried to tell me that Tommy was deeply rooted and that's why Joel took Ellie himself, which is NOT true.
Seems strange to me if you don't want to lose someone you try to dump them off somewhere and forget about them. Now if you mean he doesn't want to see her get hurt on his watch is something I can agree with. Doesn't change my point that Joel wants to cut ties with Ellie.

Tommy himself talks about having family that he can't just leave behind to travel with Ellie. Maybe you think he's lying in that scene but he seemed sinsere to me.
Ellie told Joel that EVERYONE she CARED for has either died or left her, EVERYONE except for Joel and she would be scared with anyone else. This was the moment when Joel decided to take Ellie for himself. [/iSPOILER]
Joel reaffirms he's not her father right after that so I don't know what you're smoking, the turning point for Joel is when he decides to continue the travel with Ellie later on.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yep. Which is why I'm enjoying the deviations they are doing from the game. It's still on course, but gives a fresh new dynamic as to why certain actions were done.

Well, I didn't complain about Ellie and Dina relationship as I don't mind an extra pair of pussy and ass. Also Dina had a very "wide" butt vs "narrow" butt of Ellie, so it was diverse enough to me. It was a win-win situation. But man these two hairy dudes... 🤮

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nick Offerman is a top tier actor. If it wasn't for him, episode 3 would've been a snorefest. The passion in his acting is above Emmy-worthy and he's like the man of all men, so to play a gay guy with such compassion is truly magnificent.

DragonNCM

My son's around that age (14) and a huge fan of the video games, he's been watching the show with me and the wife. He had a few questions.

I find it's best to be honest with your kids, speak to them like adults when necessary and don't sugarcoat things as much as possible.

My daughter is 14 also but I felt unpleasant to talk to hear about this things. I will let my wife to explain that to her :)

OsirisBlack

Banned
Im more surprised there are 14 year olds who haven't encountered gay people yet

By 11 we were all speculating one of our summer camp runner was gay and he was one of our cooler ones
I’m sure they have encountered it but they don’t understand which is why they have questions. My son is growing up in a house with a man and a woman as a married couple so he just doesn’t get it.

Edited to add: my daughters to young to watch this with us but I’m definitely leaving this subject matter to her mom.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I haven't played the game since the original release but isn't this part pretty different? I think I remember one of the guys being alive and his place gets overrun so the two MCs are forced to move on.

Top Bottom