• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HDTVTest] 2021 LG OLED vs. Samsung Neo QLED Comparison

TrueLegend

Honestly, my take is that if money is not a matter always go for SONY OLED, and if money is a matter then don't buy from Sony, Samsung and LG, Hisense and TCL can give you better stuff for the sensible price. Also watching TV in a darkroom most of the time is not very healthy for your eyes.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Samsung looks very, very close for movies. But that gaming screen... eh.

I’m glad motion issues are receiving a bit more attention now. Anyway, I think motion issues are closely related to screen size and pixel number. I’ve recently watched movies on a 720p 32” and had no problem at all with motion. On the other hand, I watched somebody else play TLOU2 on a 4K LED and got motion sickness in minutes. Even in Vincent’s video that camera panning in Ratchet is painfully choppy.

BTW, Vincent doesn’t sound too well in this video. He stumbles a bit here and there, his voice sounds lifeless and cracking at times. Hope he’s doing fine.

Not even close to being true.
I am gaming on it with semi transparent curtains on the half of the room where my TV is and it is brilliant. The rest of the room is bathing in sunlight.
I didn't say it's unusable in brighter rooms, but the only visual advantages to me over LCD is in completely dark rooms. I own a 2020 LG OLED and a 2020 Q90. With the slightest lightning in the room, the Samsung is as good as the LG. With more lightning the LG is a damn mirror and if it's really bright in the room with sunlight the QLED gets much brighter. But in completely dark rooms the LG is much better than the Samsung.

Overall i prefer my Samsung, because i mostly have some light in my rooms on.

PrimeX

Yeah, you need to prevent sunlight going into the TV. That's why I use the curtains.
I was a Samsung TV fan until I had to choose between oled and qled. That's when I shifted preferences.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Honestly, my take is that if money is not a matter always go for SONY OLED, and if money is a matter then don't buy from Sony, Samsung and LG, Hisense and TCL can give you better stuff for the sensible price. Also watching TV in a darkroom most of the time is not very healthy for your eyes.

Statistically insignificant.
An old wives tale.

The whole dark vs light room thing is more about comfort for users just like some people can stare at a screen for hours others watch a movie and they need to go outside or rest their eyes or something.
Statistically its no worse or better for your eyes health but if some light makes you comfortable add them if it doesnt make a difference.
Black that shit out!

if it's not OLED i'm not interested. other TVs might get close but it just won't be as good. i'm sticking with OLED until Micro LED. Not Mini LED. Micro. that seems to be the tech that will beat OLED: absolute blacks, infinity contrast, high brightness, and no risk of burn in.

Micro LED will have per pixel control because each pixel will have it's own LED. a 4K tv has 8,294,400 pixels and Mini LED displays "only" have about <10,000 LEDs. that works out at roughly 1 LED per 830 pixels at 4K and that results in blooming because pixels are being lit up that don't necessarily need it. a Micro LED should have millions even for a 1080p TV (cause that = 2,073,600 pixels). So if an entire section needs to be completely black Micro LED will be able to do what OLED does. Of course, having a LED backlight means it will still be as bright as any LED out today (for those bright room people) and since it's not organic (the O in OLED) it won't wear out and cause burn in. maaaybe in the long run there might be some brightness loss but i'm thinking like 5+ years after you buy it. An OLED can burn in (if you really abuse it; 100% brightness/contrast watching news 24/7) within a matter of a few hundred hours.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I still love my 65 inch E9 design sound everything is awesome full hdmi 2.1 support best TV I ever bought. I already am sad knowing that it will be broken 1 day :( by that time I hope all oled issues are completly fixed and I can find a tv that similarly impresses me design wise. But I am not a fan of qleds after I had my taste of oled 😋

Last edited:

Rikkori

Unless you live in a completely blacked out room then this year's miniLED is a no brainer, at least for gaming. My only wish for next year is that they keep tightening up the LD algo in game mode & that they don't downgrade the PQ like they're used to doing after they finally make a good product. Personally not in a rush to upgrade just yet, hopefully we'll see some QDCC TVs in the next few years, but if I had to go for something I'd get the 85" QN95A and it wouldn't be close - and mind you I say this as someone who's been trashing Samsung TVs for the past 10 years. The overall package is simply unbeatable.

MadPanda

Banned
Unless you live in a completely blacked out room then this year's miniLED is a no brainer, at least for gaming.
You could've atleasr watched the video. It's not a no brainer. There are issues with it. Many post processing is turned off in game mode so you get a significantly worse picture.

I have an 65’’ LG OLED as my main TV in the lounge and am setting up the family room and thinking of getting a QLED for that room as it backs to to a verandah and is well lit

Put the PS5 in one and the Series X in the other.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
OLED is overrated shit in price comparison on TVs typically with a much worse feature set, I await the Samsung Microled overlords nuking it from orbit in due time.
You don’t think MicroLED will also be super expensive?

Elios83

OLED is better for dark room viewing.
QLED has higher brightness that makes it better for usage during daytime and it has better HDR highlights + no burn in risk.
While both technologies have tried to close the gap with the other in their respective weaknesses we'll get the best of both worlds only when microled become mass market.

Great Hair

Banned
SANSONG SAKS (always has)
VEhtIMm.png
6xNwo9t.png
Pzem4Mr.png

disgusted ace ventura GIF
Stephen Colbert No GIF

hV0FenV.png

only adv: Ratchet&Clank (colorful games)

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Statistically insignificant.
An old wives tale.

The whole dark vs light room thing is more about comfort for users just like some people can stare at a screen for hours others watch a movie and they need to go outside or rest their eyes or something.
Statistically its no worse or better for your eyes health but if some light makes you comfortable add them if it doesnt make a difference.
Black that shit out!
Alright bro, but where are these statistics you speak of. Where is report. I like how you called the most consistent scientific notion as old wives tale. Dont worry I know the reason where you get that idea.......idiotic newsroom and marketing people who call adavnced computing as Artificial Intelligence (AI). Here let me drop you some Actual Science.

New Study Tests The Effects Of Watching TV In A Dark Room -- ScienceDaily

An Excerpt
In general, the surrounding illumination resulted in ratings of less visual discomfort, fatigue, and eyestrain, less frequent blink rates, and shorter durations of time between the presentation of a stimulus and brain wave responses.

ethomaz

Banned
In bright rooms the environmental lighting can pollute the perfect blacks and contrast to the point it's no better than a QLED or even worse with the reflections.
I have both the OLED in the TV room that have day light all day long and at night we watch it with the lamp on.

In my bedroom I have a QLED that we we watch with lamp on. In fact we usually don’t watch either TV with dark room.

The OLED looks better in any case even with HDR that need peak brightness.

PS. I still think PLASMA was better in terms of IQ but due the premature death the old PLASMA TVs lacks several key features that makes OLEDs superior to it.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I have an LGCX and I think it is great. I bought a TCL 5 series for my living room, because my wife wanted to add another TV and it looks pretty good as well. I do think the future is the Micro LED. but it will be several years before they are in an affordable price range.

OLED is overrated shit in price comparison on TVs typically with a much worse feature set, I await the Samsung Microled overlords nuking it from orbit in due time.

What? You can get LG C1 55" for < 1000 euros. That's less than I payed for Samsung KS7000 5 years ago.

B variants are even cheaper

Last edited:

Ywap

If you are like me and can't stand motion blur or ghosting go with an oled that have BFI. Those sexy blacks you'll get for free :pie_drooling:

Some older Philips oled:s didn't have BFI, just a warning.

Ulysses 31

I have both the OLED in the TV room that have day light all day long and at night we watch it with the lamp on.
And? You're not denying it can diminish the strength of OLED in that setting.
The OLED looks better in any case even with HDR that need peak brightness.
I'll assume that has more to do with the quality/settings of your QLED.

TV experts/calibrators like HDTVtest say that each have strengths and weaknesses, no TV beats the other in 100% of the use cases. Maybe MicroLED will once it becomes affordable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom