• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HDTVTest] PS5 vs Xbox Series X 4K Blu-ray Player Comparison

Bo_Hazem

Banned

-PS5 has better color gradation due to 12-bit 4:4:4 playback @ 24Hz vs 10-bit on XSX.
-XSX suffers from frame skipping on movies that use true 24fps as it's fixed at 23.976fps.
-Both aren't optimal for movie enthusiast that are concerned about color accuracy, which is not noticeable in real world content anyway.

Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Have watched UHD disks in both the Series X and PS5. Unless side to side you cant tell any difference. Saying that, I'll use the PS5 for UHD disks from now on.

AceVader0

Neo Member
It's funny though, because the XSX wrong color gradation is most probably due to the console offering too many possibilities. I mean, expecting the screen to be a monitor and similar. This of course gives an advantage for most users who will use the console for gaming, but it's ironic they didn't catch this or see it coming. Let's hope MS improves this soon, as they did with the Black Level issue.

Also, I don't think people will be using many true 24 fps movies...:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I bought my first ever UHD movie and it's PREDATOR (1987).
It does look fantastic on LG OLED and PS5. It did have some minor stutter though.

Next I'm going to buy LotR trilogy box and if it has same stutters I'm going to contact Sony about it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does the video talk about audio?

I thought the Xbox had better audio options at the moment as Sony do not support Dolby Atmos on the PS5?

Not sure, really. He didn't talk about audio, but PS5 has DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 and Dolby Audio.

PS5-3.jpg

Wizz-Art

I have a dedicated UHD player but it's sensitive as it has trouble playing some discs. Then I put the same disc on my Xbox One X console and it plays the same part no problem. I have a Sony X800 as my dedicated player.

Cherrypepsi

If you really care about image quality to the point where you buy a bluray instead of streaming the movie, you're not buying a console for this purpose anyway.

Trigger warning:
I look at people who buy blurays the same way as I look at people who print out wikipedia pages and read them on the bus.
😜

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t own a single 4K BRD, but skipping frames (albeit only with selected discs running at actual 24fps) every 42 seconds is something that shouldn’t happen. I definitely would use my console if I wanted to watch a 4K BRD.

Zimmy68

I thought the Xbox had better audio options at the moment as Sony do not support Dolby Atmos on the PS5?
The PS5 doesn't have to support Dolby Atmos to play it on a 4k Blu-Ray (or standard blu-ray).
If your receiver can decode Atmos or DTS:X then the PS5 is just sending the bitstream for it.

Zimmy68

I don’t own a single 4K BRD, but skipping frames (albeit only with selected discs running at actual 24fps) every 42 seconds is something that shouldn’t happen. I definitely would use my console if I wanted to watch a 4K BRD.
True but I think they can easily address that in a firmware update and it is on such a small minority of discs (24fps) that the chance you will notice it is slim to none.
For me, the dealbreaker is no Dolby Vision support on either console. I use an external player for that reason alone.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This have nothing to do with the discussion here.
Sony developed the media, the disc, but everything that is put on that disk comes from work and collaboration with other companies. There are standards in play for the video, the audio, the cables, the connectors, etc.

You what love?

You think Microsofts "game" is making BluRay players?
Whereas every electronics shop ive walked into has Sony Blu Ray players.

If BluRay players were anyones game it would more likely be Sony.

Iced Arcade

already posted lil man

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
already posted lil man

Told the mods to delete the thread earlier but seems like they didn't know where is the one conflicting with it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

If the UHD Blu-ray has Dolby Atmos the PS5 will send that to your AV and you'll get Dolby Atmos
The PS5 just doesn't support it on a system level so you don't get it in games

Robins

If the UHD Blu-ray has Dolby Atmos the PS5 will send that to your AV and you'll get Dolby Atmos
The PS5 just doesn't support it on a system level so you don't get it in games

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification 👍

If you really care about image quality to the point where you buy a bluray instead of streaming the movie, you're not buying a console for this purpose anyway.

Trigger warning:
I look at people who buy blurays the same way as I look at people who print out wikipedia pages and read them on the bus.
😜
Streaming (even in 4k HDR/DV) has bad image quality due the compression. When the scences become dark and fast paced i can clearly see artifacts. and all the streaming services will lower thier quality once everybody is dependent of them. its a slow graduating process and the most people will not tell the difference, bc shitty eyes and/or shitty euqipment/configs. Its a shame that convenience will kill image/audio quality. PLUS studios will censor/alternate content post release. The only (expensive) solution are raw untouched rips and a Media NAS.

DJ12

At least if the film is shite, xbox fans don't have to watch all of it.

Every cloud eh?

intbal

I have a dedicated UHD player but it's sensitive as it has trouble playing some discs. Then I put the same disc on my Xbox One X console and it plays the same part no problem. I have a Sony X800 as my dedicated player.
Same.
My One X was able to power through known "glitchy" discs that gave my Sony player fits. Not gonna guess a reason. But I've always been happy with the UHD capabilities of the One X (and One S).

is sony going to make a 8K ultra violet-ray player? I think they would need a read speed of 384mb/sec. Will it come out in 2026? Even if it does, its going to be expensive as hell.

i think both sony and ms need to ditch optical disks and come up with a new storage medium which is cost effective as optical disks, but can store more data.

Last edited:
PS5 has better color gradation due to 12-bit 4:4:4 playback @ 24Hz vs 10-bit on XSX
Both consoles were using a 10bit test pattern though, which means that bit depth isn't the issue. A 10bit pattern will look the same on a 10bit output as a 12bit, 16bit, 32bit etc output because there's no additional color information there to be displayed.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Both consoles were using a 10bit test pattern though, which means that bit depth isn't the issue. A 10bit pattern will look the same on a 10bit output as a 12bit, 16bit, 32bit etc output because there's no additional color information there to be displayed.

Could be, but doubt that will slip from Vincent. What's happening is like using native JPG vs RAW to JPG, the later usually has the superior image quality and information even though bother are 8-bit.

DJ12

Could be, but doubt that will slip from Vincent. What's happening is like using native JPG vs RAW to JPG, the later usually has the superior image quality and information even though bother are 8-bit.
They have a dolby vision test on the blu-ray, which means there is a 12 bit test. I doubt Vincent wouldn't test 12bit hdr with a 10bit hdr test. He seems to anal for that.

Last edited:
I imagine it's just a quirk of their outputs, he does point out that neither is bit perfect. Whatever is causing that is likely also responsible for the worse gradients on XSX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They have a dolby vision test on the blu-ray, which means there is a 12 bit test. I doubt Vincent would test 12bit hdr with a 10bit hdr test. He seems to anal for that.

I can see this be fixed via update firmware, along with the true 24Hz mode.

I imagine it's just a quirk of their outputs, he does point out that neither is bit perfect. Whatever is causing that is likely also responsible for the worse gradients on XSX.

Could be possible to be fixed like the grayish blacks previously that got fixed lately on XSX.

Kuranghi

I bought my first ever UHD movie and it's PREDATOR (1987).
It does look fantastic on LG OLED and PS5. It did have some minor stutter though.

Next I'm going to buy LotR trilogy box and if it has same stutters I'm going to contact Sony about it.

Is the stutter maybe related to how your TV is handing the framerate? I think you have to change some setting to avoid telecinic judder on LGs.

Top Bottom