• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headhunter: Redemption screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
917594_20040812_screen001.jpg

917594_20040812_screen002.jpg

917594_20040812_screen003.jpg

917594_20040812_screen004.jpg

917594_20040812_screen005.jpg

917594_20040812_screen006.jpg

917594_20040812_screen007.jpg

917594_20040812_screen008.jpg

917594_20040812_screen009.jpg

917594_20040812_screen010.jpg

917594_20040812_screen011.jpg

917594_20040812_screen012.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks quite decent! Nice improvement over the original!

I just hope it doesn't carry the same atmosphere...

Anyone see the gameplay on Xplay? The targeting looked great, where you can lock on to someone, but a smaller crosshair appears in the lock on box where you can perfect your aim.

LightningZero5 said:
Anyone see the gameplay on Xplay? The targeting looked great, where you can lock on to someone, but a smaller crosshair appears in the lock on box where you can perfect your aim.

I'm pretty sure Syphon Filter on PS2 does that as well.

This thread suddenly reminds me that I need to burn my copies of the original HeadHunter on DreamCast.:b

<runs off to grab a couple of CDRs>

I played around an hour of the PS2 version inside a mom and pop software store. It was good,graphics looked good enough for this type of game,no real slowdown that I saw in the stages where you drove a bike.

I dunno why but I did have allot of trouble with the dual shock when it came to reloading/switching weaons though. The whole thing felt sorta of clunky. I guess I needed more time with the game.

I have only played about 15 minutes with the DC version,the training course is what I've tried. From what I've seen the game looks identical to the PS2 so far. The firing of weapons and hiding behind corners still feels clucky when doing all these moves on the DCs pad,as it did when I played it on a PS2 a year ago.

I guess its up to you on which you want. Theres a torrent for the DC version(2 CDs in size)..maybe import it if you want,or just grab the PS2 version for 10 bucks somewhere.

LightningZero5 said:

Bond: Everything or Nothing does this too I'm pretty sure.

I quite enjoyed the original on DC. Probably pick this game up a bit later on in the year though.

Koshiro

I'm still utterly disappointed that they've removed the motorbike sections - those were what defined the game from the sneaking crowd.

Koshiro said:
I'm still utterly disappointed that they've removed the motorbike sections - those were what defined the game from the sneaking crowd.

I got flashbacks to that old Stalone movie-Cobra when playing the bike sequenes. Jack Blade even has that guys look down too.

That sucks about them removing the bike stages,they were pretty fun in the first game. So its all just on foot shooting now?

aku:jiki

dark10x said:
I just hope it doesn't carry the same atmosphere...
I'm not really following here. What's your interpretation of the original atmosphere? I always saw it as satirical, with this whole sarcastic aura to it. As a swede, I can tell you that we're no strangers to it -- especially not the generation most of Amuze most likely belong to.

It's funny, though. No comments about how much the bike rides sucked from people who were just too lazy to get a handle on the controls? Peculiar how things can change... When the game came out, you couldn't make a thread without 50 of those replies, and now we have none. Kudos!

Anyway, I still think the HUD in this looks very intrusive. Too big and too bright. Minor annoyance, sure, but a minor annoyance straight through for about 10 hours can turn into a big problem. Other than that, I'm into it. I always liked the original. That boss fight on the roof, with the heavy rain, was some cool shit back then.

dark10x

aku:jiki said:
I'm not really following here. What's your interpretation of the original atmosphere? I always saw it as satirical, with this whole sarcastic aura to it. As a swede, I can tell you that we're no strangers to it -- especially not the generation most of Amuze most likely belong to.

It's funny, though. No comments about how much the bike rides sucked from people who were just too lazy to get a handle on the controls? Peculiar how things can change... When the game came out, you couldn't make a thread without 50 of those replies, and now we have none. Kudos!

Anyway, I still think the HUD in this looks very intrusive. Too big and too bright. Minor annoyance, sure, but a minor annoyance straight through for about 10 hours can turn into a big problem. Other than that, I'm into it. I always liked the original. That boss fight on the roof, with the heavy rain, was some cool shit back then.

It had a strange feeling to the game...like some kind of cheesy cop show or something with a bunch of guys from some backwater town. Regardless of what they were TRYING to do with it, I did not enjoy the feeling the characters and world conveyed.

The bike riding was fine, though.

DC's VGA is hard to top.

Of course, DC's VGA is so good that it simply leaves you with a grainy looking game.

aku:jiki

dark10x said:
It had a strange feeling to the game...like some kind of cheesy cop show or something with a bunch of guys from some backwater town. Regardless of what they were TRYING to do with it, I did not enjoy the feeling the characters and world conveyed.
Yeah. Sarcastic, purposefully cheesy, satirical, whatever you want to call it. I thought it was pretty fun, but I can see how people might like their games more seriously told and less... cryptic, I guess.

Koshiro

aku:jiki said:
No comments about how much the bike rides sucked from people who were just too lazy to get a handle on the controls?
Yup, I remember arguing till I was blue in the face for this point - the bike often delivered a real sense of speed, the controls were very solid and satisfying.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Between the two, go with the DC version. The PS2 version has some glitches, and the DC version has proscan.

dark10x:
Of course, DC's VGA is so good that it simply leaves you with a grainy looking game.
On the contrary, it makes it look far more vibrant and accurate.

dark10x

On the contrary, it makes it look far more vibrant and accurate

No, that's not entirely true actually. An NTSC TV (and I assume PAL as well) will produce much more intense and vibrant colors than what you will see from the same source on a PC monitor. When running Dreamcast through a monitor, the colors are, in fact, dull in comparison. For similar reasons, framebuffer screen grabs tend to produce dull images in comparison to what most people would see on a TV (which is why you often hear people complain that certain screenshots are not accurate).

DC VGA is the more accurate picture, but that isn't a plus in this case. The VGA adaptor was my only method of playing DC for a good 2 years...so I've had a LOT of experience with it.

You can attempt to bring up all types of technical justifications, but I know what I prefer...though it obviously varies from person to person. :p

Oh yeah, I'd still recommend the Dreamcast version over the PS2 release. VGA just isn't the reason...

Gattsu25

Banned
LightningZero5 said:

Half Life (PS2) does this as well

Lazy8s

VGA is the superior signal from a technical perspective. The difference most will see in the vibrancy of the colors, though, will come from the interlacing issue. An interlaced image from a TV has a high-speed flicker which lessens the intensity of the colors and image. VGA doesn't have this and delivers them crisply.

What some might be seeing in TV output color-wise is the color bleeding that occurs because the sets are often less accurate. However, that's seen by designers as more of a detriment than a benefit. What needs to be remembered in this issue is that our game graphics are built out of assets (artistically and technically), and the alaising and other artifacts that accompany that are just side-effects. So, if you enhance the display of an image like with a VGA monitor as opposed to blurring it up with a TV, the enhancement brings out the assets in the image more profoundly than its artifacts. Otherwise, you'd continually get better images by going with worse and worse screens that hide the artifacts/alaising, and GameBoy displays would be even more optimal than TVs.

dark10x

The difference most will see in the vibrancy of the colors, though, will come from the interlacing issue.

I wouldn't be so sure...

I do not use an interlaced TV, and both progressive and line doubled images appear much brighter and more intense than the monitor. There is not any significant color bleeding or any other major flaws. The image is extremely clear, though still not up to VGA standards (which is good for most of these consoles, as it acts as free AA).

I believe it is simply a difference in the standards being used and the way a TV handles the input. Obviously, different people will prefer a different look. With a 640x480 picture being displaying in progressive scan, the image is much more appealing on a good TV than it is on a good monitor.

A good HDTV display can provide the clarity and crispness of VGA with improved color saturation while avoiding the pitfalls of a monitor.

Lazy8s

dark10x:
it acts as free AA
No, AA is a process that only blurs under the control of an algorithm specifically designed to improve the image. Blurring of the non-differentiating, plain old variety is not desirable otherwise graphics would be even more "AAed" and look even better as they stepped down into GameBoy resolutions.
with improved color saturation
There is no inherent difference to color saturation. Again, what you're probably reacting to is color bleeding.

Some of the misconception regarding graphics in VGA comes from the fact that some games in the past which were displayed that way weren't optimized for VGA (same problem could occur with NTSC/PAL/etc too, of coruse), so they ended up looking washed out, pixelated, and/or dithered. But, a game which properly targets the display, like a nice arcade monitor or Guilty Gear X through native VGA, can look as vibrant as a the drawings from a comic book jumping to life.

dark10x

No, I'm not referring to color bleeding...

If you are to display an entire screen of red or blue (or some other color) from the device you are using, the color displayed on the TV will be much more intense. No matter how you adjust the monitor, it is unable to reach that.

Top Bottom