• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health Care Vote Delayed Until After July 4th Recess

So are we again mostly saved by people who think this law doesn't fuck poor people hard enough ? I mean don't get me wrong it's enjoyable but I can't help but feel something might eventually pass and it might be more to the right than it is currently . Are they having that much trouble from the 'left'
lol
of the Republican Party?

The 'unexpected' defections came from the moderate side, most notably Heller (NV).

A Moderate Darling can only take SO FUCKING MUCH.

(I asked in the PoliGAF thread, but would someone PLEASE PLEASE make me a Murkowski face avatar?)

R96kUJ8.png

Steejee

The 'unexpected' defections came from the moderate side, most notably Heller (NV).

Now we have to hope that, unlike their house counterparts, the 'moderate' GOP Senators don't roll over and take it after they get some token concession that fixes nothing.

It's at least somewhat hopeful in that Senators are beholden to a whole state rather than a single gerrymandered voting district, and now with the vote delayed they'll have some time to go home and get yelled at for even considering this monstrosity.

Now we have to hope that, unlike their house counterparts, the 'moderate' GOP Senators don't roll over and take it after they get some token concession that fixes nothing.

It's at least somewhat hopeful in that Senators are beholden to a whole state rather than a single gerrymandered voting district, and now with the vote delayed they'll have some time to go home and get yelled at for even considering this monstrosity.

It's definitely not dead, but it's definitely more likely to die with this delay.

There are reasons they wanted to get this done before the July 4th break.

reckless

I think you greatly overestimate moderate senators. We're lucky Trump(and friends) are incompetent and went through with their threats of attacking Heller with tv and radio ads. That probably hurt the chances of this bill more then anything else.

UberTag

I think you greatly overestimate moderate senators. We're lucky Trump(and friends) are incompetent and went through with their threats of attacking Heller with tv and radio ads. That probably hurt the chances of this bill more then anything else.
Whose bright idea was that anyhow? Way to shoot yourself in the face.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Trump is def throwing them under the bus

https://twitter.com/AP/status/879800193574723586

BREAKING: Trump says Senate has chance to pass important health care bill; if it fails, he won't like it "and that's OK."

I can read this in two distinct ways:

1) We tried, it failed to pass votes. fuck it lets move on. [doubtful they will, but GOP proven completely ineffective and nothing but bluster given a decade of whining].

2) It passes, fucks people over(ie. 'fails' to live up to promise). No biggie, we accomplished our goal. [Trump and leadership throwing his team under the bus to sign off on this failed PoS]

"Chance to pass" assumes the first, but there is no way they just give up, unless they focus tax reform efforts elsewhere?

Bishman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/06/27/more-republicans-announce-opposition-to-health-care-bill-only-after-vote-is-delayed/?utm_term=.cd431ef7e123

With Capito, Moran and Portman now opposed to the bill, at least nine Republican senators are on the record as being against the legislation in its current form. The six other senators — Susan Collins (R-Maine), Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) — all announced their intentions before McConnell’s decision.

Yay. Are the moderates enough if all the ultra-libertarian flip? I guess it depends on how many liberals there are

Here's a lengthy breakdown that goes senator by senator, they can only afford two "no" votes:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-gop-senators-might-resurrect-the-health-care-bill/

In their judgment, the only "No" votes that are actually going to vote that way vs just threatening in order to get changes:

Rand Paul
Dean Heller
Susan Collins
Mike Lee

Paul wants MUCH deeper cuts BUT it seems impossible to me that he would ultimately vote to keep the much bigger Obamacare in place instead of taking what he can get in these cuts. But again they have a lot of money in this bill they can throw toward specific states to buy them over.

I'd say it's still 60/40 that a bill gets passed, once they add in some additional funding to make the moderates happy. They just can't get those deals done in the next few days.

FLAguy954

Only three and a half years more to actually defend. If they lose this vote they will continue to sabotage the shit out of the ACA.

This. We need to keep fighting until Trump's bitch ass is out of office and the House of Reps along with the Senate become either more balanced or more liberal.

Since the initial outrage from the House bill, response has been pretty tepid (not much in the way of protests etc). The left is not good at sustaining outrage (remember storming the airports with protesters when the travel ban passed, vs the collective shrug when the Supreme Court brought it back this week?)

If anything that additional time lets the initial shock of the CBO report headlines fade. People will have moved on to six or seven more Trump gaffes/scandals and will have run out of energy. We're good at brief tantrums, not long-term sustained change.

So they've got just three weeks in July to fuck everyone over. After the August recess there will too much gearing up for 2018 and attendant own ass covering go get anything done.

Tovarisc

Wow! How generous of you, McConnell. Considering inviting the other party in on your murder bill. It's like X-Mas

If they invite Dems to take part in this bill it means they have to also acknowledge that there is no chance in hell bill wont go through full rewrite. Dems will never accept this bill.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Democrats would definitely work with Republicans on a healthcare bill that actually fixed the many issues with the ACA

Which is why its not going to happen as they'd be offered the scraps of scraps for their votes. Though the Dems might be dumb enough to play along which I hope they would not

On the infinitesimal - like, 0.05% - chance that Senate Republicans worked with Democrats, the Freedom Caucus would not touch ANYTHING with Democratic prints on it.

Being intractable, conservative, hateful shitheads won't damage them in their districts, but having the liberal stench on them sure will.

On the infinitesimal - like, 0.05% - chance that Senate Republicans worked with Democrats, the Freedom Caucus would not touch ANYTHING with Democratic prints on it.

Being intractable, conservative, hateful shitheads won't damage them in their districts, but having the liberal stench on them sure will.
Yeah, they could probably pass something in the Senate but it would be DOA in the House.

Democrats would definitely work with Republicans on a healthcare bill that actually fixed the many issues with the ACA

Here's the 2 likelihoods with the current GOP:
A) AHCA stays the same and Dems are livid that they were brought in for squat. GOP turns them into a scapegoat aka. "We offered to collude on the bill (after 100+ days of closed door writing though) but Dems just wanted to OBSTRUCT!"
B) McConnell and the GOP pull a 'giving your little bro the unplugged controllers he thinks he's playing' and Dems barely get to throw a teaspoon of their additions before it's rushed to vote yet pat themselves on the back for supporting a sad stopgap.

If they invite Dems to take part in this bill it means they have to also acknowledge that there is no chance in hell bill wont go through full rewrite. Dems will never accept this bill.

I pray they don't. Don't care if Ryan and McConnell are on their knees in tears. They shouldn't accept it.

Steel

Banned
I pray they don't. Don't care if Ryan and McConnell are on their knees in tears. They shouldn't accept it.

If they're allowed to build on the ACA to make it more stable that would be of benefit to the country.

That being said, that's not gonna happen.

Furyous

Prepare for some hype town halls...

Republican Congressmen and Congresswomen don't have the stomach to hold town halls. They'll use the excuse of liberals from different counties are showing up to sow discord as an excuse.

Watch them sneak in a vote on July 4th early in the morning. Seriously call your representatives to protest this. Jam their phone lines calling them to express how heinous this course of action is. Stripping 49 million people of their Medicaid in order to pay for a $600 billion tax cut for rich people is a bad look for our nation.

Steel

Banned
Republican Congressmen and Congresswomen don't have the stomach to hold town halls. They'll use the excuse of liberals from different counties are showing up to sow discord as an excuse.

Watch them sneak in a vote on July 4th early in the morning. Seriously call your representatives to protest this. Jam their phone lines calling them to express how heinous this course of action is. Stripping 49 million people of their Medicaid in order to pay for a $600 billion tax cut for rich people is a bad look for our nation.

There's no way that they'd get the votes by July 4th. Heller and Collins are on another planet in terms of supporting this, Heller definitely a no. And Rand Paul will never vote yes on anything.

This isn't even to talk about the other 6(Cruz is probably an easy get).

Steel

Banned
What's the point of Miller even posting such a thing. There's absolutely a less than zero chance such a thing occurs.

He said as much in a public speech, so him saying it or not is irrelevant. What he actually said was more in line with "I'd rather not work with democrats if I don't have to because they don't want to gut medicaid"(Paraphrased that last part).

Top Bottom