• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Healthy diet discussion

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I noticed when I'm exercising regularly, being hungry affects me less. I can ignore it more easily. My completely unfounded, unscientific running theory is that it has something to do with built up energy stores from the exercising. When I say exercising, I mean cardio in particular.

I do regular body building exercises though and 1 hour walks almost every day. I did read online that intermittent fasting can cause sleep problems.

manfestival

The guy that was on Joe rogan literally is the guy who helped me lose 30-40 pounds naturally and I still was able to eat things I liked. Just cooking healthy and using fresh ingredients is key to getting the most out of it.

Funny enough I have watched that one. So much great info on youtube. I think this worked out for me when I was doing IF but I was not eating healthy. Currently my diet is way cleaner than ever, with minimal sugar, converted into fat craving, high metabolism(a first), and I have defined abs(also a first for me AND at 34). Well that is among all things. Just consume so much information from these videos. I like the way my trainer puts it. He calls health and fitness a big mountain and that there are so many ways people can climb the mountain. It is just about finding your own path.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Let's start with the need to go to the gym 6 times a week. TF you are doing there?

Also - no, 6 days a week is not reasonable to anyone with a small kids.

I'm working out at the gym. It's really not uncommon to go to a gym six days a week.

Going to the gym is clearly possible with kids because myself and many others around the world manage it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How old are your kids? Because it is not possible to go if they are 0-6 years old, unless your wife doesn't work.

Obviously we all live in different situations. Many people do find it's possible. I'm sorry if it's not possible for you 😞

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Walk more at a steady pace and if you want to increase the intensity do it outside when it's cold. You'll have to burn more fat to warm yourself. Slow twitch red muscles are used more for high volume slower movements and those are the ones that use more fat for energy. If you're moving really fast you have to use you fast twitch muscles which use carbs for energy.

To cultivate your slow twitch red muscles food that I eat are kale, spinach, cocoa, dark chocolate, black beans, lemons, oranges or orange juice, beef once in awhile, yogurt, cheese, eggs or just the yolks, rice/pasta, sweet potatoes/carrots, chia seeds, flax seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas. Supplement with vitamin d, zinc, b12.

This and next month are the coldest months where I live and I've just been wearing a hoodie with some under shirts when I go outside and no jacket; had to up my calories.

Raven117

Gold Member
I eat extremely clean during the week.

Breakfast: overnight oaks with chia seeds....two eggs, plus extra eggwhites.

Before workout: Proteins shake

Lunch: Non-fat greek yogurt, honey and a banana.

Afternoon snack: Packet of Tunafish.

Dinner: Chicken breast, brown rice broccli.

Bedtime: Casin protien.

Weekend....Just eat consciously, but don't let it take over your life here. Eat and enjoy life with friends.

That keeps me athletic and trim right there.

SpiceRacz

Simple - Meat, fish, eggs, avocados, nuts, green vegetables.

Done it in the past, but started again January 1st and down nearly 15 pounds already.

GeekyDad

...I did read online that intermittent fasting can cause sleep problems.
There definitely seems to be a broad definition, though, of "intermittent fasting." For example, what I do every day is keep my eating within an eight-hour time frame, and that's solely due to my medication needs -- I can't eat for at least an hour (and I wait an hour and a half) after taking my morning dosages, and I can't eat at least two hours before my nighttime dosages. And from what I'm reading, this can be considered IF. I always thought it meant going a full day or up to three days without eating. I'm not sure which time frame could cause sleep problems. My sleep issues usually seem due to thinking about work. On nights where I'm off the next day, I typically sleep like a baby. On other nights, if I get up to go to the bathroom, I often have trouble going back to sleep, especially if my wife is snoring. But it's never due to a feeling of hunger.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Also - no, 6 days a week is not reasonable to anyone with a small kids.
When my son was younger I only worked out at home with only a weighted vest and some velcro hand/ankle weights. Wearing that around the house carrying my kid, walking up stairs, doing laundry, etc is more of a workout than you would expect. This paired with simple exercises like sit-ups, squats, planks, etc while my kid is watching cartoons had me in great shape.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
On a small health kick myself after a fat Christmas. Down 12 pounds or so so far.

Literally just started eating way more vegetables and way less processed crap, that's all it boils down to.

This soup recipe is a banger, you can make a huge batch for instant healthy lunches. Use harissa paste instead of the fancy ingredient on there.

TTOOLL

My general guideline is: eat real food and avoid industrialized goods as much as I can.
Also, regarding yogurt, don’t avoid the full fat options, avoid the ones with added sugar. Milk fat is good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I haven‘t had weight issues for years honestly.

Became a big fan of keto in last year but am now back to carb cycling as I found it impossible to gain weight on keto - and I desperately want to because of all the gym training I do.

So basically what I do now is I do keto during the week and then carb up on the weekend. No sugar, no fruits, as little processed stuff as possible. Seriously, around 80-90 % of the stuff I eat is how nature made it. And I‘m so happy with it I plan to stick with it for life.

Rat Rage

These days finding a healthy diet consists of finding a diet with the least contaminants.

Anyway, I'll here are a few recommendations:

- Only drink water or tea. Nothing with sugar in it. Nothing with fruit sugars in it (huge amounts of fruit sugars without fibre is bad).
- Eat fruits in moderation (but generally, they are pretty ok, since their fruit sugar comes with fibre). High fibre fruits are preferable.
- Avoid fruits that are packed with pesticides (like non-organic strawberries, bell peppers and such)
- Don't eat nuts too often (phytic acid)
- Don't eat foods high in phytic acid too often.
- Don't eat spinach or anthing that has a super high oxalic acid content (hinders calcium absorption)
- Don't eat rice unless you know that it's almost free of arsenic. Most rice grains absorb quite a lot of arsenic from the ground. Basmati rice is an exeption
- Don't eat too many legumes. Preferably soak + pressure cook them to reduce their anti nutrient concentrations.
- Potatoes are good
- Try to avoid cheap nudles. Organic white pasta from "older" grains is preferable to eleminiate/minimise the risk of glyphosat in your food.
- Eat oatmeal (but in moderation)
- Eat organic whole wheat bread n moderation. Avoid non-organic whole wheat bread or anything containing non-organic whole wheat.
- Don't eat fish caught from the ocean. All fish is contaminated with heavy metals. Shortcut: don't eat fish at all. If you really want the omega 3, get fishoil, since that is highly filtered and free of heavy metals
- Try to use a pressure-cooker often (helps with the reduction of anti nutrients)
- Don't eat corn or anything containng corn, because it's contaminated with huge amounts of zearalenone, a mycotoxin that has a high estrogenic effect on the body - especially not good for males)
- Eat much more white meat than red meat
- Work out, be active and take care of your body. If you do that, you can eat sweets occasionally without a problem. Even a bit alcohol is ok, if you are active and in good shape.
- Eat cheese and calcium rich foods
- Use vitamin and mineral supplements if you think you don't get enough vitamins or minerals from all of the above or if you feel sleepy.
- Use a Vitamin D supplement
- Get enough sleep

GeekyDad

On a small health kick myself after a fat Christmas. Down 12 pounds or so so far.

Literally just started eating way more vegetables and way less processed crap, that's all it boils down to.

This soup recipe is a banger, you can make a huge batch for instant healthy lunches. Use harissa paste instead of the fancy ingredient on there.

That looks like a really good soup. I saved the link, thanks. Which of the ingredients were you referring to replace with harissa paste?
My general guideline is: eat real food and avoid industrialized goods as much as I can.
Also, regarding yogurt, don’t avoid the full fat options, avoid the ones with added sugar. Milk fat is good.
I wish I could remember what that one thing was that was mentioned in the article I read. I've tried to find it, but can't find the link. But again, there's supposed to be something in whole-milk yogurt that helps boost metabolism that fat-free yogurt doesn't contain.

3 easy steps to eat healthier:

1. Realize that you really don't need 3 meals a day.
2. Stick to whole foods (if it's packaged, processed and has a barcode don't buy it).
3. Eat all macros but apply portion control.

Don't be that guy and enjoy your social meals. They really don't make much impact if you stick to your diet otherwise.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That looks like a really good soup. I saved the link, thanks. Which of the ingredients were you referring to replace with harissa paste?

Ras el hanout, we couldn't find it in our supermarket. We also didn't bother adding dukkah, just natural yoghurt to serve and the spice from the chilli took care of the rest. Enjoy!

marcusessmith84

Neo Member
I recently learned about 16/8 interval eating. I like to eat sweet things. Of course, exercise is important, but you can easily lose weight. I wish you all health and a beautiful figure

manfestival

I haven‘t had weight issues for years honestly.

Became a big fan of keto in last year but am now back to carb cycling as I found it impossible to gain weight on keto - and I desperately want to because of all the gym training I do.

So basically what I do now is I do keto during the week and then carb up on the weekend. No sugar, no fruits, as little processed stuff as possible. Seriously, around 80-90 % of the stuff I eat is how nature made it. And I‘m so happy with it I plan to stick with it for life.
Does your body immediately realize your diet is going back and starts settling right into Ketosis on your Mondays? I do high protein and not Keto but I watch so many Keto Youtubers because the information they provide is so much better than most people.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Does your body immediately realize your diet is going back and starts settling right into Ketosis on your Mondays? I do high protein and not Keto but I watch so many Keto Youtubers because the information they provide is so much better than most people.
I don't know honestly. I never measured my ketones. But the diet just went way too well so I guess it's working. Started with 2.000 cals per week back in September and then added up to 3.500 cals in the weeks after... lost 3 kgs... And mind you I was already fit when I started. Funny thing is that ever since I started converting at least one day per week into high carb I gained 2 kg back, even though I did not change my total calories intake (and I am counting every single calorie). So much for "all that matters are calories". Well, nope. At least not for me. Keto/low carb just works if you do it right.

manfestival

I don't know honestly. I never measured my ketones. But the diet just went way too well so I guess it's working. Started with 2.000 cals per week back in September and then added up to 3.500 cals in the weeks after... lost 3 kgs... And mind you I was already fit when I started. Funny thing is that ever since I started converting at least one day per week into high carb I gained 2 kg back, even though I did not change my total calories intake (and I am counting every single calorie). So much for "all that matters are calories". Well, nope. At least not for me. Keto/low carb just works if you do it right.
Ah yeah that totally makes sense. I watched a video explaining that not all calories are the same. So essentially a calorie from a protein requires 30% of your bodies energy to process it(stripping the nitrogen). Therefore you get a "discounted" rate of 30% off of your overall number in your protein intake for the day. Fibers are similar in requiring 10% of your bodies energy to burn. Within Keto you are going to be consuming more protein and fiber so this likely would explain that just from that basis but it all aligns.

Last edited:

MachRc

calorie counting for me worked and walking.

I dont use the app, I just eye ball and get it under 1300-1400 calories a day ..Which is one good meal.
I sort of go on the extreme, fast for 2 days, like really suffer to get a jump start and then start going on the one good meal diet.

I get all the water weight down, get a boost of confidence in what I am doing, and use the scale to push further on.
Most everyone says its so unhealthy, but Ive been doing it for along time when I feel like...when my mom tells me ive gotten fat(most Ive ever weighed is 185 and im 5' 11" so not fat, but full in the face?).

SO on top of counting caloric intake, I always make sure I for lunch, again suffer, walk one way 25-30 minutes, and come back. 25-30 minutes.
hit my 6000 steps a day easy.

after 5-10 pounds you hit a wall, and then after a week it will go down to 15 pounds easily. Achievable in 40 days. (if those people on naked and afraid can do it in 21 days, so can I safely in 2 months)
I got down to like 170-165 for my wedding in no time.

willpower willpower, looking at the scale seeing all the weight loss driving you to further your willpower burning calories more than intake.

going raving dancing 20 miles , hiking, all helps too, burn more than intake.
But Ive also had shameful moments of coming home and ravaged food to then throw it up(pizza and lot of bread are easy to throw up) like a bulimic also.
Im starting my diet soon as I am best man for my friend's wedding in april.

But I have a big problem.
My jack in the box app points is glitching and broken.
6xCtoXT.jpg

Ive used "points" to get free food with any purchase.
like 4 homestyle chicken clubs and two spicy chicken so far since like last week.

and the points are not deducting but instead going up!
e0cw4N7.jpg

I cannot fight this witchcraft. Jack in the box owns me now.

GeekyDad

Ras el hanout, we couldn't find it in our supermarket. We also didn't bother adding dukkah, just natural yoghurt to serve and the spice from the chilli took care of the rest. Enjoy!
Thank you. In that case, it sounds simple enough.

GeekyDad

With the clam juice no salt is really needed. There's natural salt, plus if you are doing this the authentic way which I do, I use Rao's Linguine you salt your water that you boil for pasta. More than enough salt. pepper is optional if you like a little more kick/flavor. Which I do, but also by the time I'm done I also add fresh chopped parsley and Pecorino.

The guy that was on Joe rogan literally is the guy who helped me lose 30-40 pounds naturally and I still was able to eat things I liked. Just cooking healthy and using fresh ingredients is key to getting the most out of it.

Wow, that was quite informative. He actually got me curious about the whole keto thing, just in the sense of using it as the tool to making your body flexible to change. I'll have to do a little research into what actually constitutes a keto diet. Again, I really don't care for too much meat in my diet because of how it affects my bowel movements. But I am curious now. Good video. Thanks.

I'm coming up on 3 weeks vaguely following the ketovore strategy and it's pretty great. Completely put my hunger in check, dropped 10lbs, sure there's some water weight. It's a little annoying, and I have to take a few days off my exercise since I messed up my ankle. But food-wise I'm finding more and more stuff that works. Ironically my biggest source of carbs most days is vitamins in gummy forms. I hate swallowing pills, and some of the gummies are actually pretty tasty. They just come with 2-6 grams of sugar which is rough if you're trying to keep it under 20.

Have been measuring my ketones and was at the 0.5-0.7 level for a bit, but a couple of careless mistakes has put me at 0.3. Even so it's a completely different world to when I was mostly carb fueled. I also realize that I'm a bit heavy on protein and a little light on fats. Giant chunks of cheese here I come!

GeekyDad

Well, after reading and listening more about keto, I'm gonna say, I don't think it's for me. As Sisson (who, just in a little research, I found is, of course, selling his own products -- dressings, sauces, books, etc.) himself said, not all healthy diets are the same for everyone -- and he seems to acknowledge the benefits of many options, including vegetarian and vegan. The keto option seems to make logical sense from a certain point of view, but I don't think it fits my soul. Apples, beans, tomatoes, dates...these are all things my soul is drawn to as being good for me. I think I definitely tend more toward being a deer than a lion.

That being said, it's obvious -- or should be -- that we're not designed to consume these refined, base food products. I think the earth springs up naturally the stuff we're designed to eat, not doughnuts and Little Debbie treats. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I guess for me, the thing I seem to have the most trouble with is stopping. I don't typically feel hungry. I kinda eat on a scheduled basis. But...once I do eat, I get this kinda...I guess the only way to describe it is "flavor lust." I'll have my apple or fruit for the day, and then I want more sweetness. Or I'll have my protein, and want more saltiness. I might not even still be hungry. I get food FOMO.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Well, after reading and listening more about keto, I'm gonna say, I don't think it's for me. As Sisson (who, just in a little research, I found is, of course, selling his own products -- dressings, sauces, books, etc.) himself said, not all healthy diets are the same for everyone -- and he seems to acknowledge the benefits of many options, including vegetarian and vegan. The keto option seems to make logical sense from a certain point of view, but I don't think it fits my soul. Apples, beans, tomatoes, dates...these are all things my soul is drawn to as being good for me. I think I definitely tend more toward being a deer than a lion.

That being said, it's obvious -- or should be -- that we're not designed to consume these refined, base food products. I think the earth springs up naturally the stuff we're designed to eat, not doughnuts and Little Debbie treats. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I guess for me, the thing I seem to have the most trouble with is stopping. I don't typically feel hungry. I kinda eat on a scheduled basis. But...once I do eat, I get this kinda...I guess the only way to describe it is "flavor lust." I'll have my apple or fruit for the day, and then I want more sweetness. Or I'll have my protein, and want more saltiness. I might not even still be hungry. I get food FOMO.

Everyone does, thats your body releasing hormones so you will eat more, to survive.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My good diet rules

Prep meals

Low fat

Fats u do eat are good fats like nuts, avocado, oily fish like salmon, mackeral.

Slower digesting, higher fibre carbs like whole wheat pasta, potatoes, rice.

Balanced meals of a starchy carb, vegetable and protein(can be animal or plant based)

Drink a glass of water with every meal

No sugar

Sensible portions

Tasty meal ideas.

Breakfast,
Bircher muesli
Mix oats, chopped apple, rasins, cinnamon and low fat milk of your choice and leave overnight in the fridge.

Veg egg white omlette
Spray pan with oil spray or use 5mil of oil, saute onions, mushrooms + peppers (add a lil salt to them when u put them in the pan)
Then add the egg whites and make your omlette.
Serve with 2 slices of wholemeal toast with a smear of low cal spread

Lunch

Tuna salad sandwich
1 can tuna in brine or water, drain, add 15ml of low fat mayo, make a sandwich using wholemeal bread, tuna mix, lettuce, cucumber,tomatoes + red onion

Dinner
Chilli
Fry onions, sliced peppers + sliced mushrooms, add smoked paprika + cumin and chilli to you taste, add tinned tomatoes and kidney beans, cook for 15mins and then add quorn mince, cook until mince is hot. If using low fat turkey mince u will need to fry it at the start.

Serve with rice, guac, pico de galo

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Cheese is my kryptonite. I could eat a bowl full of cheese if my bowels would cooperate.

Same here, cheese is such a versatile product it can enhance many dishes and snacks greatly. I need to plan tasty healthy meals to diminish cheese cravings.

GeekyDad

...Drink a glass of water with every meal

I'm with you with pretty much everything you wrote, but it was always my understanding that it was better to wait about 20 minutes before and after eating to drink anything, to allow your body to properly digest the food.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Eating two meals a day is pretty awesome. I’ll often eat a fairly light breakfast, maybe a small snack during the day, then have a feast of a dinner and feel amazing afterwards.

Sosokrates

I'm with you with pretty much everything you wrote, but it was always my understanding that it was better to wait about 20 minutes before and after eating to drink anything, to allow your body to properly digest the food.

I dont know, test it and see if you notice any difference, i like to eat while drinking because when im eating a drink helps wash the food down.

On the rogan podcast he had this russian mma fighter on and the russians dont drink water while workout because it requires energy for the body to deal with or something like that, so maybe there is some truth to it

I also havea glass of water with every meal to ensure I actually drink water because if I dont make a rule of it I wont bother.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I dont know, test it and see if you notice any difference, i like to eat while drinking because when im eating a drink helps wash the food down.

On the rogan podcast he had this russian mma fighter on and the russians dont drink water while workout because it requires energy for the body to deal with or something like that, so maybe there is some truth to it

I also havea glass of water with every meal to ensure I actually drink water because if I dont make a rule of ot I wont bother.
Well, from what I gathered it seemed to have to do with the liquid in the stomach making it more difficult for your body to break down the food properly (acids, I guess). I've been adhering to that for years now. But I do drink tons of water throughout the day, not by forcing myself, I just feel thirsty throughout the day, especially on work days, of course.

Sosokrates

Well, from what I gathered it seemed to have to do with the liquid in the stomach making it more difficult for your body to break down the food properly (acids, I guess). I've been adhering to that for years now. But I do drink tons of water throughout the day, not by forcing myself, I just feel thirsty throughout the day, especially on work days, of course.

Your activity is going to dertermine how thirsty one is.
If im writing a decaf coffee every few hours is all I need, but I will make an effort to drink water so my piss is not a darker shade of yellow.

Quasicat

I tried intermittent fasting at one point and gave up as I just didn’t have the motivation to keep it up. At the beginning of the month, I got some bad blood results back and started fully into it again. I’ve lost 20 pounds this month and only fell off the wagon once since then (damn you Oreos). I’m now doing 22 hour fasts and want to start pushing it to 36 hours on the weekend! What’s helping me now if a coworker is also doing this and we keep each other accountable.

Melon Husk

Couple of random things I've learned

Exercise

Exercise does not help with permanent weight loss, only eating less leads to permanent change
- but -
The body becomes more energy efficient at rest if you do intensive exercise. Key word: Metabolic Homeostasis.
Result: decreased hunger between meals, more stable resting blood sugar.

Meal times
It really depends on how your blood sugar level can cope. Goal is to feel good and alert even if you miss a meal. Ideally bigger meals 3-4 hours apart, no meals for >12 hours before breakfast. Or skip breakfast, whatever. If you skip lunch to lift weights instead then breakfast is important.

Fiber
Nobody eats enough fiber. Eat more fiber-rich foods. Most obese people probably eat too much low-fiber simple carbs that contain calories but don't satisfy hunger for long. Fast food is tasty that leaves you hungry for more, that's how they get ya.

Fasting
Maybe it's healthy, maybe not. There are many ways to do it that make it a no big deal. Not eating for a day once per month. Skipping one or two meals once a week, then eating a little extra on the following meal.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Walk more at a steady pace and if you want to increase the intensity do it outside when it's cold. You'll have to burn more fat to warm yourself. Slow twitch red muscles are used more for high volume slower movements and those are the ones that use more fat for energy. If you're moving really fast you have to use you fast twitch muscles which use carbs for energy.

To cultivate your slow twitch red muscles food that I eat are kale, spinach, cocoa, dark chocolate, black beans, lemons, oranges or orange juice, beef once in awhile, yogurt, cheese, eggs or just the yolks, rice/pasta, sweet potatoes/carrots, chia seeds, flax seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas. Supplement with vitamin d, zinc, b12.

This and next month are the coldest months where I live and I've just been wearing a hoodie with some under shirts when I go outside and no jacket; had to up my calories.

Yea I live in upstate New York near Canada border. Last week has been - double digits. Last night was -25. Right now I’m having coffee , sun is out still -11 lol. But I love it here.

Papacheeks

Banned

Low carb + high fat bois, it’s the way to be

This is me. But I do cook homemade pasta. Tonight I got half a pound of Roa’s linguine I’m going to make a whine sauce with tomato paste red pepper flake, garlic , fresh basil, while pepper, half onion, half pound of fresh mushrooms, and add pasta water with linguine with fresh baked salmon filet talgats seasoned with cracked black pepper lemon, fresh dill and finished with Irish butter.

GeekyDad

Got an avocado the other day to go with my beans, but I forgot to use it. So, for some reason, I woke up craving to eat one just by itself, and it needed to get eaten before it went bad. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it by itself, but I wasn't feeling in the mood to eat it with anything. That was damn delicious! Don't know if it produces its own sodium, but it didn't need anything. I just scooped out the pit, and ate it with a spoon out of the peel.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Got an avocado the other day to go with my beans, but I forgot to use it. So, for some reason, I woke up craving to eat one just by itself, and it needed to get eaten before it went bad. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it by itself, but I wasn't feeling in the mood to eat it with anything. That was damn delicious! Don't know if it produces its own sodium, but it didn't need anything. I just scooped out the pit, and ate it with a spoon out of the peel.

Don't eat too much avocado though, or you will start talking about genders and BLM all day.

GeekyDad

Don't eat too much avocado though, or you will start talking about genders and BLM all day.
Yeah, I remember some months back having like three in one week, and I started to have chest pain. Truly, it must be full of sat fat because even just the small one I had this morning gave me slight heartburn, and I don't even get that when I eat fatty pork. I love 'em, but yeah, I don't eat them too often. When it gets warmer, though, I'll probably have one once a week with my black beans.

Top Bottom