• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heart Attack Grill: What obligation (if any) do restaurants have to their patrons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of you have heard of the Heart Attack Grill, no doubt.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/heart-attack-grill.html

If have not, the Heart Attack grill is a burger joint in Las Vegas, Nevada which sells outrageous menu items as a kind of thrill experience.

The burgers have names like single, double, or triple bypass burger and the burgers are extremely high calorie. The quadruple bypass burger weighs in at about 8,000 (I have seen it estimated at nearly 10,000) calories, and the restaurants burger ceiling is represented by the octuple bypass burger which is eight patties and 40 slices of bacon.
Since it is double the size of the quadruple bypass, I guess it is reasonable to assume it contains about 16,000 (or 20,000) calories.

The restaurants has a sort of tongue in cheek "this food will kill" you theme to it's menu. They outfit patrons in hospital gowns and the waitresses all dress up as nurses. To further illustrate this point, the "vegan option" at the restaurant is a single cigarette.

I am not really sure where to put this, but they also have a policy stating that if you weigh more than 350 lbs, you eat free.

I think this video is a pretty good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAalTacfdEM

Over the last few years several people connected to the restaurant have died of heart attacks. When your restaurant is called "The Heart Attack Grill", people notice that kind of stuff, so it ended up on a few news outlets, where it is strongly implied that the restaurant caused these heart attacks.
The owner, for his part, instead of seeming troubled, really kind of doubles down on the restaurant premise. He seems fairly unapologetic and insists that he is trying to prove a point. That point being that all fast-food is bad for you, and unlike other restaurants, at least he's being honest.

This video kind of illustrates what I'm talking about:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/my-f...ack-grill-s-basso-iJoqlgeOQ4~Xf~OgRbwOhA.html

Ok, so, questions:

- If this guy (Basso) is purposefully trying to induce heart attacks in his patrons to prove a point about obesity in America, should he be stopped? Does the idea that the public needs to be safe override the need for business to be unfettered?

- Is it reasonable, or unreasonable to assume that because you eat at a public restaurant in the united states, that you are somehow protected from intentional harm by the people who run said restaurant?

- I mean, since the tone of the restaurant is kind of fun and tongue-in-cheek, is it unreasonable for people to assume he's also kidding when he says his food will kill them?
In other words, does the restaurants sense of humor make people less likely to take the dangerous nature of this place seriously?

- What, if any, duty do the proprietors of restaurants have to the health and well-being of the people that eat there?

TL;DR There's a fast food place that advertises its food will kill you; people die at this place sometimes. Does this place have any responsibility to not kill people?

Konka

Banned
A lot of you have heard of the Heart Attack Grill, no doubt.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/heart-attack-grill.html

If have not, the Heart Attack grill is a burger joint in Las Vegas, Nevada which sells outrageous menu items as a kind of thrill experience.

The burgers have names like single, double, or triple bypass burger and the burgers are extremely high calorie. The quadruple bypass burger weighs in at about 8,000 (I have seen it estimated at nearly 10,000) calories, and the restaurants burger ceiling is represented by the octuple bypass burger which is eight patties and 40 slices of bacon.
Since it is double the size of the quadruple bypass, I guess it is reasonable to assume it contains about 16,000 (or 20,000) calories.

The restaurants has a sort of tongue in cheek "this food will kill" you theme to it's menu. They outfit patrons in hospital gowns and the waitresses all dress up as nurses. To further illustrate this point, the "vegan option" at the restaurant is a single cigarette.

I am not really sure where to put this, but they also have a policy stating that if you weigh more than 350 lbs, you eat free.

I think this video is a pretty good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAalTacfdEM

Over the last few years several people connected to the restaurant have died of heart attacks. When your restaurant is called "The Heart Attack Grill", people notice that kind of stuff, so it ended up on a few news outlets, where it is strongly implied that the restaurant caused these heart attacks.
The owner, for his part, instead of seeming troubled, really kind of doubles down on the restaurant premise. He seems fairly unapologetic and insists that he is trying to prove a point. That point being that all fast-food is bad for you, and unlike other restaurants, at least he's being honest.

This video kind of illustrates what I'm talking about:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/my-f...ack-grill-s-basso-iJoqlgeOQ4~Xf~OgRbwOhA.html

Ok, so, questions:

- If this guy (Basso) is purposefully trying to induce heart attacks in his patrons to prove a point about obesity in America, should he be stopped? Does the idea that the public needs to be safe override the need for business to be unfettered?

- Is it reasonable, or unreasonable to assume that because you eat at a public restaurant in the united states, that you are somehow protected from intentional harm by the people who run said restaurant?

- I mean, since the tone of the restaurant is kind of fun and tongue-in-cheek, is it unreasonable for people to assume he's also kidding when he says his food will kill them?
In other words, does the restaurants sense of humor make people less likely to take the dangerous nature of this place seriously?

- What, if any, duty do the proprietors of restaurants have to the health and well-being of the people that eat there?

TL;DR There's a fast food place that advertises its food will kill you; people die at this place sometimes. Does this place have any responsibility to not kill people?

I'm pretty sure they make you sign a waiver acknowledging that you're an idiot.

No one is forcing people to eat here.

Sure, but if the assumption, when attending a restaurant in America is that you are safe to eat there without passing into the next life, then is it unreasonable to assume that lots of people will never assume that they are actually in danger when going to the restaurant?

Since the theme of the restaurant is some what un-serious, I don't find it far fetched at all that some people might assume the warnings are part of the joke/theme.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The restaurant has an obligation of being up front about the ingredients and an obligation to follow all city and state regulations. They have no obligation to keep fatties from killing themselves on their food from overindulgence.

Konka

Banned
Sure, but if the assumption, when attending a restaurant in America is that you are safe to eat there without passing into the next life, then is it unreasonable to assume that lots of people will never assume that they are actually in danger when going to the restaurant?

Since the theme of the restaurant is some what un-serious, I don't find it far fetched at all that some people might assume the warnings are part of the joke/theme.

What? I can go buy a bottle of vodka at a store right now that can kill me.

Ferrio

Banned

Sorry but one restaurant doesn't cause a heart attack. You don't eat a fucking burger then it causes a heart attack.

People who eat there die... statistically that's going to happen because everyone dies, and heart attacks being one of the leading causes.

Zaptruder

Banned
Probably the most egergious thing that they do is provide free food for people 350lbs and over.

I mean shit, that's essentially a slow heart attack shaped murdering of people without sufficient self control to keep away from such a good deal.

dream

Yeah, but if someone walks into the restaurant and orders a quadruple-octuple burger without suspecting that it may not be the healthiest option for them, I sort of see any fallout (including death) as them paying their idiot tax.

CrankyJay

Banned

As long as they are publishing calorie counts and nutrient content people then assume the risk after becoming informed consumers. If people weren't still buying these products despite this information they would be out of business. So what does this tell you?

What? I can go buy a bottle of vodka at a store right now that can kill me.

Sure, but the company that makes the vodka doesn't regularly obscure the seriousness of the idea that vodka can kill you with an atmosphere which suggests that they might not be serious.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

As long as they are publishing calorie counts and nutrient content people then assume the risk after becoming informed consumers. If people weren't still buying these products despite this information they would be out of business. So what does this tell you?

Actually can't seem to find that info on the site. Is it a requirement that is decided state-by-state?

Probably the most egergious thing that they do is provide free food for people 350lbs and over.

I mean shit, that's essentially a slow heart attack shaped murdering of people without sufficient self control to keep away from such a good deal.

Right. What I'm asking is does that kind of policy cross some ethical line?

BigAT

Sure, but the company that makes the vodka doesn't regularly obscure the seriousness of the idea that vodka can kill you with an atmosphere which suggests that they might not be serious.

Have you never watched a liquor commercial?

Konka

Banned

No I do not. It's called personal responsibility for knowing what the hell you are putting in your body. They are in no way deceiving people.

Technically, you could eat however many McD hamburgers to get the same result. Heart Attack Grill isn't doing much beyond making a big greasy burger.

They should have a shrine for the fallen diners, with pictures of them getting wheeled out, inspirational quotes, etc.

Also, a counter of the number of days since the last death.

Konka

Banned
Not lately, but what I mean is undermining the seriousness of any warning by suggesting that nothing they say is serious, therefore any warnings might not be serious.

They list what you are eating. It's your fault if you don't realize how horrible it is for you.

CrankyJay

Banned
They should have a shrine for the fallen diners, with pictures of them getting wheeled out, inspirational quotes, etc.

Also, a counter of the number of days since the last death.

Apparently the owner brought the cremated remains on a talk show with him to underline his point. CNBC.

Ferrio

Banned
Not lately, but what I mean is undermining the seriousness of any warning by suggesting that nothing they say is serious, therefore any warnings might not be serious.

There's nothing serious about it. They're burgers, they don't out right kill you. Heart attacks are caused by many many factors, and eating once/twice at this place wouldn't even factor. Yes, eating there all the time would, but so would any other burger/fast food joint.

Reading this thread as a non-American is kinda funny. Something like the Heart Attack Grill probably wouldn't fly in large parts of Western Europe. Especially as a Swiss person, I can see consumer protection organisations throwing a fit. Just an interesting observation that shows how different the cultures are.

They list what you are eating. It's your fault if you don't realize how horrible it is for you.

You seem a little offended. I'm not attacking you, or whatever you believe in. Just wanted to have a discussion.

They probably don't have enough locations to require this. Still, the burger has the name 'bypass' in it.

Ah. Thanks.

Still, everything on the menu is a joke of some kind. How would you know they weren't joking about the name?

Survival of the fittest, bro. Let the fatties eat themselves into a Darwin Award, the world will be a better place for it.

Jeez. Some of you guys are pretty rough.

Konka

Banned
You seem a little offended. I'm not attacking you, or whatever you believe in. Just wanted to have a discussion.

Ah. Thanks.

Still, everything on the menu is a joke of some kind. How would you know they weren't joking about the name?

Jeez. Some of you guys are pretty rough.

Look at the provided nutrition information like an informed person.

BigAT

Virtually every alcohol commercial consists of a consequence-free party atmosphere that doesn't portray the real effects of alcohol. They toss in a throwaway warning at the end that is clearly just there to absolve themselves of legal consequences.

As long as they clearly list what is in their food I could not possibly care less how unhealthy it is. I think that place sounds disgusting, but to each their own. If people want to eat themselves to death, it is their choice.

I had a double heart attack burger when I was there along with a butter shake. Managed about half and gave up. Also the amount of seriously overweight people eating for free may have also put me off.

People should be able to decide what's best for them.

docbon

This is my only real issue as well.

Quite the opposite, the obesity epidemic is making the world a worse place. It does not only cause problems for fat people.

It was a joke.

On a serious note, though; the US has a big problem with education around healthy eating, and a food industry which is financially motivated to encourage poor dietary habits and obesity. I think better regulations are great, but I don't think focusing on a single restaurant in Nevada is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Warn people about what? That the eight-patty burger with a pound of bacon and cheese on it they are about to put in their mouth might kill them?

How is what Heart Attack Grill is doing morally heinous whereas serving similar stuff elsewhere while saying nothing at all about the health risks is acceptable? Even granting that they could ever speak with authority on this issue, who would actually want fast food restaurant owners to assume this responsibility? OP your premise has serious flaws.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
The restaurant has an obligation of being up front about the ingredients and an obligation to follow all city and state regulations. They have no obligation to keep fatties from killing themselves on their food from overindulgence.

Pretty much.

RedStep

A person with a health diet doesn't walk in there, eat a big burger, and then die. They're not putting arsenic in the meat. They serve the same unhealthy burgers as everybody else (see the 4x4-8x8-12x12 etc at In-N-Out) but keep a tongue-in-cheek attitude about the fact that it's bad for you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, adults don't need a fucking warning label telling them that a quadruple hamburger is bad for them. If they're eating it with no trouble, they're most likely on their way out anyway.

For shame, OP. The nanny state doesn't need any help.

I mean, maybe I did a poor job on the OP, but I'm not trying to debate whether or not there is unhealthy food. I'm more interested in discussing this guy's ethics.

The problem is that you go into "should they be stopped?", which should be a solid NO to anybody reasonable. Ethically it's not really cool to encourage the morbidly obese to eat even more, but that's as far as it goes. It's a conscience question for the proprietor, not a legal one.

Yup, or any bakery where I could buy a cake or pizzeria each of which I could eat myself and have more calories than something on this menu.

Ok, so if you eat an extra large bbq chicken pizza from Papa John's, each slice is 370 calories. At 10 slices, that's 370 calories. This is a far cry from 16,000, or even 8,000 calories.

Now a cake is certainly in the right neighborhood. A red velvet cake from Publix is around 11,000 calories in total.

I mean, maybe I did a poor job on the OP, but I'm not trying to debate whether or not there is unhealthy food. I'm more interested in discussing this guy's ethics.

Eusis

Well, the "anyone over 350 lbs may eat free" might need to be a policy that's pitched, even if you're legitimately that muscular (probably more likely to be like a sumo wrestler really in that you're both fat AND extremely muscular) it's trying to make you eat more poorly, but otherwise I'd be more concerned about restaurants that aren't as open about the health quality of their food or hype stuff up as being healthy that really isn't. But then we have a lot of problems gauging what is/isn't actually healthy, and have made some more obvious missteps like low/no fat variants of foods like peanut butter and half-and-half that just replace the fat with a lot of sugar and whatever else.

... Ok, at a minimum we need to prohibit fat free half-and-half from being sold as such because seriously what the fuck? The half-and-half means half cream and half milk, not anything else. Call it fat free dairy creamer or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom