• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heaviest "empty" console boxes

Pantz

What's the heaviest console boxes after the console and accessories are removed? I'm putting mine out to the garage but I did some testing before this to see which ones were the heaviest. I keep everything inside them from the plastic bags and the twist ties to the promo materials and user guides, everything besides the consoles and accessories.

Ey6t1wh.jpg

1. The Oculus Rift launch box (not even with controllers) is by far the heaviest one I have, like 2-3 times heavier than the next. The future is heavy.
2. The Wii box comes in next and despite being the most compact box, it is quite heavy. Partly due to the thick manual inside but also the 2 cardboard trays that held everything.
3. That 250gb Xbox might be slim, but the box is THICC. Triple walled cardboard puts it as next heaviest.
4. 4th Heaviest is the 4th in the line of Playstation consoles (only a coincidence) is the PS4 Pro launch box. It's like a damn Russian nesting doll, open the box, and you find a box inside, with more and more boxes inside those.
5. Despite being possibly the largest overall sized box, With A Handle, the coveted 60gb FULL HARDWARE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY PS3 Launch Box isn't all that heavy.
6. Worlds Most Powerful Console? Yeah well that box is not the world's heaviest box. They kept the Project Scorpio Edition Launch Box slim and sleek with some high quality foam.
7. Last but certainly not least (well, it is least heaviest), the OG, NEON GREEN Halo Special Edition Xbox w/Halo Combat Evolved game and case included. I guess when your console is heavy as a tank... the box is superficial. The console may be green, but the white Styrofoam inside is not!

Interesting results I think. The heaviest console has the lightest box and the smallest console has the heaviest box. That 60gb PS3 right in the middle, perfectly balanced for it's size, thank you Ken.

Those are all the boxes I have, so I'd be curious where other "empty" console boxes rank.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Hmm strange. I would have sworn that my fat 40GB PS3 box is far heavier than my Wii's (or WiiU's) box.

Last edited:

Kyry

I wonder how heavy a Neo Geo MVS box is. I would think the packing would need to be heavy enough to cushion the weight of the contents.

camaropilot

Well my award for best looking box would be that launch PS3 box. I remember finding it shortly after launch (December 11th 2006) at my local best buy, charging my credit card up with five hundred and ninety nine US dollars plus tax, buckling it in to my car seat, bringing it home and revealing the beautiful console and...... composite cables. Had to go back to best buy and get an HDMI cable shortly after lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom