• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain - A Neogaf Official Thread on the Gaming Forum

Pandemic said:
Then it says to shift your controller upwards, so I do that but it either doesn't work or it thinks I shifted it to the right.
Jup, sounds like a broken sixaxis. I think there is difference between how up and down movements are detected, so it can happen that only one thing breaks. You can confirm this by either playing a game like Journey (tilt the camera with the controller and see if it works in every direction) or play the scene "Father and Son" in HR again (use chapter selection with no save option). Go into the backyard and try the basketball. It requires an up motion too. If this doesn't work either, then your controller is fucked. If it does you need to repair your save.

Even if you're not that into QTE's at all? I mean, if you strip out the QTE's and the climax of the story, what's left there to enjoy? It seems to be a murder mystery kind of game, you know, so knowing who's the bad guy is beforehand would kind of be like replaying the game, wouldn't it? Unless the identity of the killer is of less concern than I imagine it is.
Actually the game doesn't really care about the Origami Killer, hence the subtitle "The Origami Killer" was dropped before the game released. Most of the time you are just dealing with your characters, how they interact with each other and they end up in dangerous situations pretty often. The Origami Killer is merely an excuse to put the characters in these situations. The murder mystery part is maybe 33% of the game.

If you don't like QTEs at all (HR's QTEs are probably the best implemented QTEs ever), then I dunno. What do think are QTEs? Just the fight scenes or the whole interface? The latter I would rather call contextual button prompts. It's basically a replacement of the point and click interface. Actual QTEs, which you know, have to be completed quick, are just present in the fight scenes. In every other part you can walk around freely and interact with your environment.

I personally like the game for the situations, sets, graphics and some of the characters. You should probably try to play the game for 1-2 hours. If it bores you endless, just stop.

Oemenia

Banned
Ive only just finished the game but did anyone else feel that the unveiling of the Origami Killer was completely inconsistent in regards to our exposure to that character and his/her actions?

Even Madison's reaction after hearing the name from his mother when IIRC shes never even met him or at the least got to know him.

Its just made the whole journey almost meaningless especially when the characters just arent that interesting (except the PI).

Fortunately I only rented the game from my local store, so I might just return it 6 days early.. Thanks for the responses.
Too bad, the game gets pretty interesting after your current scene. It's starting very slow. Don't you have another controller or can lend one? I never met somebody with just one controller before :D If you have a Move lying around, you can also use that temporarily to get past this scene. Scanning of the files is necessary unfortunately, checking the clues is not and you can fail the case if you're not doing that properly.

There is also the option to download a save game and just skip this scene (it's almost over anyway). The save games are protected I think, but with custom firmware you can extract them and they should work on every console. It is worth a try at least: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/933123-heavy-rain/saves

In any case you should make sure your sixaxis is working properly when Beyond comes out later this year. It will use it pretty often.

Oemenia said:
Ive only just finished the game but did anyone else feel that the unveiling of the Origami Killer was completely inconsistent in regards to our exposure to that character and his/her actions?
It's completely inconsistent with his thoughts. I'm pretty glad they are removing that in their next game, because it's just dumb. His actual behaviour and spoken dialog however makes sense for the most part. There are several fishy things going on with him:

-Shelby is telling the shop owner that the Origami Killer kidnapped Shaun, but Ethan just reported him missing a hour ago. Even the police doesn't think it's the Origami Killer yet...
-In the same scene Shelby can say: "I also lost someone I loved..."
-Shelby is driving a pretty old car. Jayden finds out the Killer is driving an old car...
-Jayden's psychological profile fits Shelby perfectly
-You can see both Madison and Jayden in the Blue Lagoon while the Killer is simultaneously in the office talking to Paco. Madison is going directly to Ethan after that. With this information you can definitely exclude Jayden,Madison and Ethan from the suspect list. Blake and Gordi Kramer don't fit Jayden's profile at all. Only Shelby remains...
-When you're fighting the Killer with Jayden, you can see Shelby's face pretty clearly in some shots. Pay attention to eyes, nose, ears: http://www.abload.de/img/zbajugk3oc7fjdp-ofejz06jii.png
-While Shelby is talking about the old typewriter to Lauren, an old typewriter is sitting on his desk. It's gone after this scene
-All main characters are interacting with each other at some point in the story. The only one who doesn't meet anybody is Shelby. He seems separated from the rest
-Shelby is telling every parent he is visiting, that the parents of the other victims hired him to investigate the murders. However, nobody ever recognizes him
-He hides all the gathered evidence in his apartment and doesn't talk with Lauren about it
-When Lauren is combining the two lists to find the name John Sheppard, Shelby is very annoyed and tries to stop her with the argument, that it would be "Too much work"
-After the flashback sequence on the cemetery Lauren is believing that the brother of John could be the Killer. She says: "Could he be the Origami Killer?" Shelby's face doesn't show any emotion and he answers: "Come on, let's get back in the car..."

Oemenia said:
Even Madison's reaction after hearing the name from his mother when IIRC shes never even met him or at the least got to know him.
This can be explained in two ways. Maybe she is just shocked that the mother actually remembered something, as Madison was pretty close to just leave and give up. She probably expected to hear another rambling about pills and bad hospitals. So she is shocked, because she actually knows who the frigging killer is. The biggest sensation ever.

Another theory that makes sense is she actually knows Shelby. She is writing a book about the Origami Killer since 2 years. Most authors interview a ton of people for something like this, so it's pretty likely she interviewed the PI that is working on the case full time. So she is shocked, because she actually interviewed the killer before and probably has a section in her book dedicated to him.

Pandemic

Too bad, the game gets pretty interesting after your current scene. It's starting very slow. Don't you have another controller or can lend one? I never met somebody with just one controller before :D If you have a Move lying around, you can also use that temporarily to get past this scene. Scanning of the files is necessary unfortunately, checking the clues is not and you can fail the case if you're not doing that properly.

There is also the option to download a save game and just skip this scene (it's almost over anyway). The save games are protected I think, but with custom firmware you can extract them and they should work on every console. It is worth a try at least: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/933123-heavy-rain/saves

In any case you should make sure your sixaxis is working properly when Beyond comes out later this year. It will use it pretty often.

It's completely inconsistent with his thoughts. I'm pretty glad they are removing that in their next game, because it's just dumb. His actual behaviour and spoken dialog however makes sense for the most part. There are several fishy things going on with him:

-Shelby is telling the shop owner that the Origami Killer kidnapped Shaun, but Ethan just reported him missing a hour ago. Even the police doesn't think it's the Origami Killer yet...
-In the same scene Shelby can say: "I also lost someone I loved..."
-Shelby is driving a pretty old car. Jayden finds out the Killer is driving an old car...
-Jayden's psychological profile fits Shelby perfectly
-You can see both Madison and Jayden in the Blue Lagoon while the Killer is simultaneously in the office talking to Paco. Madison is going directly to Ethan after that. With this information you can definitely exclude Jayden,Madison and Ethan from the suspect list. Blake and Gordi Kramer don't fit Jayden's profile at all. Only Shelby remains...
-When you're fighting the Killer with Jayden, you can see Shelby's face pretty clearly in some shots. Pay attention to eyes, nose, ears: http://www.abload.de/img/zbajugk3oc7fjdp-ofejz06jii.png
-While Shelby is talking about the old typewriter to Lauren, an old typewriter is sitting on his desk. It's gone after this scene
-All main characters are interacting with each other at some point in the story. The only one who doesn't meet anybody is Shelby. He seems separated from the rest
-Shelby is telling every parent he is visiting, that the parents of the other victims hired him to investigate the murders. However, nobody ever recognizes him
-He hides all the gathered evidence in his apartment and doesn't talk with Lauren about it
-When Lauren is combining the two lists to find the name John Sheppard, Shelby is very annoyed and tries to stop her with the argument, that it would be "Too much work"
-After the flashback sequence on the cemetery Lauren is believing that the brother of John could be the Killer. She says: "Could he be the Origami Killer?" Shelby's face doesn't show any emotion and he answers: "Come on, let's get back in the car..."

This can be explained in two ways. Maybe she is just shocked that the mother actually remembered something, as Madison was pretty close to just leave and give up. She probably expected to hear another rambling about pills and bad hospitals. So she is shocked, because she actually knows who the frigging killer is. The biggest sensation ever.

Another theory that makes sense is she actually knows Shelby. She is writing a book about the Origami Killer since 2 years. Most authors interview a ton of people for something like this, so it's pretty likely she interviewed the PI that is working on the case full time. So she is shocked, because she actually interviewed the killer before and probably has a section in her book dedicated to him.
Thanks for the response dude. I ended up returning the game until I get another controller, appreciate your help.

Oemenia

Banned
Explanation
Okay thanks for that and even though those pointers make it a bit more clear, I still find the killer's identity to be too far off from the character we see to be fully convincing.

Its been raised in this thread but what was all that about Kramer? He went in guns blazing as if he was emotionally invested in the killings yet shot 20 dudes who were just doing their job. I certainly would shoot dead somebody who invaded my home like that.

Most of all though, when we play as Shelby, we are seeing things unfold through his eyes, so when we find out hes the killer it makes even less sense. Had they presented him with a more detached angle it wouldve been easier to swallow that hes the killer. Then theres the fact that out of the cast, hes most believable and likeable.

D23

LATE TO THIS PARTY!

just beat this game just now and credits are still rolling

WOW
this game is so fucking intense, im like sweating!!

i cant wait for beyond now!

SRTtoZ

LATE TO THIS PARTY!

just beat this game just now and credits are still rolling

WOW
this game is so fucking intense, im like sweating!!

i cant wait for beyond now!

Now play it again and again and again. Each time you will get a different ending. One of my top 5 this gen. Beyond is going to be amazing.

Top Bottom