• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

Ourobolus

Banned
Admittedly, the modkill threw off my plan a bit. If we'd have kept up odd numbers, I could have just hoped to survive today and thrown my vote on a townie tomorow so that scum could hammer it. It's a bit more awkward when the best I can do is force a tie, because it's riskier for scum to trust me, they might even just try to push the narrative that I'm lying to get an easy lynch.

*looks at Ouro suspiciously*

lol, what? Scum doesn't care about neutrals, they just have to hold a majority of votes.

I'll say this though, you're dedicated to the facade.

Ourobolus

Banned
I already said that earlier, if scum vote with me today and tomorrow, they win.

So you can't do math either?

There can't be 4 scum, or else the game would already be over.
I think we've all agreed there are 3 scum, right?

5 town v 3 scum
If we mislynch, it's 4-3
Scum gets a NK. It's 3-3. Scum wins.

Again, let's say you're neutral.

4 town v 3 scum v 1 neutral.
Mislynch - 3 v 3 v 1
NK - 2 v 3 v 1 or 3 v 3 v 0 . Scum wins either way.

There is no tomorrow if there's a mislynch. Your plan makes no sense.

So you can't do math either?

There can't be 4 scum, or else the game would already be over.
I think we've all agreed there are 3 scum, right?

5 town v 3 scum
If we mislynch, it's 4-3
Scum gets a NK. It's 3-3. Scum wins.

Again, let's say you're neutral.

4 town v 3 scum v 1 neutral.
Mislynch - 3 v 3 v 1
NK - 2 v 3 v 1 or 3 v 3 v 0 . Scum wins either way.

There is no tomorrow if there's a mislynch. Your plan makes no sense.

4 town v 3 scum v 1 neural

or 4 town v 3 scum voting with 1 neutral = 4 v 4, so no lynch

Night kill, so 3 town v 3 scum v 1 neural

so one more kill would be needed.

Karu

Nope, don't believe you Crimson. Why you should make up shit like that? To not get killed?! I don't think there has to be more to that story,considering that you're are the prime suspect right now.

Droplet

Droplet has just been an unhappy person playing unhealthy quantities of Trails of Cold Steel to get away from it all. Let me catch up so I can give thoughts.

Droplet

I was...expecting a lot more reading than that.

So to clarify earlier, Splinter is correct. I did see his vote as I was writing up my post, and like him I forgot that was the hammer vote (hence the 'you tricked me', as in you 'tricked' me to hammer), which is amazing considering the post right before that was me saying I didn't want to hammer Crimson. Who I thought was actually scum. I'm... really bad with split second decisions. I'm not sure why he's doing what he's doing now, but I'm sure in a game like this which shouldn't have any PRs, claiming a neutral survivor is the best attempt for a scum about to win the game to shake things up a bit. It worked well in werewoof, I guess.

Ourobolus

Banned
Droplet has just been an unhappy person playing unhealthy quantities of Trails of Cold Steel to get away from it all. Let me catch up so I can give thoughts.

No worries. I thought some RL stuff had popped up from your posts - hope things get better.

So to clarify earlier, Splinter is correct. I did see his vote as I was writing up my post, and like him I forgot that was the hammer vote (hence the 'you tricked me', as in you 'tricked' me to hammer), which is amazing considering the post right before that was me saying I didn't want to hammer Crimson.
I don't get it, sorry. Why would you vote for Redhood if you want Crimson gone as opposed to just not voting? Even if you had a Brainfart and didn't realize it was the hammer you sure would have known that it would cause Redhood to lead considering you saw Splinter's tieing post.

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

CrimsonFist (1)
FluxWaveZ .1156 .1187
Ourobolus .1193

FluxWaveZ (1)
CrimsonFist .1162

*Splinter (0)
Karu .1157 .1168

No active vote for Day 4:
*Splinter
Droplet
FluxWaveZ (has previously voted)
Karu (has previously voted)
Royal_Flush
Sawneeks

Day 4 ends:
gra_1451944800.png

5 votes for majority

Droplet

I don't get it, sorry. Why would you vote for Redhood if you want Crimson gone as opposed to just not voting? Even if you had a Brainfart and didn't realize it was the hammer you sure would have known that it would cause Redhood to lead considering you saw Splinter's tieing post.

Honestly, I was asking myself the same thing afterwards. The short answer is that I'm not smart and gave into thinking the votes on redhood were more valid than my suspicions of Crimson. I've been wondering if being really safe is just how Crimson plays, although right now that obviously doesn't make much sense. And I voted because Splinter had tied the vote, so it was clear the ball was in my court, although how I didn't make the connection between that and the hammer eludes me.

Sawneeks

Banned
So... Crimson, Droplet, Ouro/Sawneeks?

I don't believe Crimson and I already said so earlier but I'm not going to vote yet and get us closer to a turbo. There is still a small part of me that says Crimson is a neutral and Scum could could come in and turbo.

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

CrimsonFist (2)
FluxWaveZ .1156 .1187
Ourobolus .1193
Droplet .1220

FluxWaveZ (1)
CrimsonFist .1162

*Splinter (0)
Karu .1157 .1168

*Splinter
Karu (has previously voted)
Royal_Flush
Sawneeks

Day 4 ends:
gra_1451944800.png

5 votes for majority

FluxWaveZ

Flux is sulking because we wouldn't turbo Crimson, Droplet is "fashionably late"

No, it's not because people aren't turboing. I'm actually against hasty tactics, as my wolf team can attest to from WW2. Same goes for here, but the fact that I've been EXTREMELY adamant about Crimson being scum since D2 and the fact that this is probably a town team that rivals WW2's in terms of self-obfuscation means that the only way that any of you can't mess this up once again is by actually turboing the vote.

Because if it's left up to the last second, you'll all manage to screw it up. Just like you have for D2. Just like you have for D3. Just like you're about to for D4. Some of you are even considering the possibility that Crimson is a neutral. What the hell is wrong with... ugh.

And Ourobolus is scum. 100%. Obviously, because I said it, people are not going to vote for him and also mess that up.

Sawneeks

Banned
Don't be an idiot.

It's just the way I play. I never take something as 100% and I try to look at both angles of the situation, for better or worse. I'm 95% positive he is scum tho.

No, it's not because people aren't turboing. I'm actually against hasty tactics, as my wolf team can attest to from WW2. Same goes for here, but the fact that I've been EXTREMELY adamant about Crimson being scum since D2 and the fact that this is probably a town team that rivals WW2's in terms of self-obfuscation means that the only way that any of you can't mess this up once again is by actually turboing the vote.

Because if it's left up to the last second, you'll all manage to screw it up. Just like you have for D2. Just like you have for D3. Just like you're about to for D4. Some of you are even considering the possibility that Crimson is a neutral. What the hell is wrong with... ugh.

And Ourobolus is scum. 100%. Obviously, because I said it, people are not going to vote for him and also mess that up.

You aren't the only one who believes that. Both myself and Squidy ( rip ) felt Ouro was really suspicious the previous Day and I'm willing to believe he is Scum.

So I have two votes, and I haven't been turboed yet.

Which would mean that either I'm bluffing, which I'm not, or at least one of the people voting on me is scum. And seeing as how most people seem suspicious of Ouro anyway...

This is MYLO. You really want to risk the chance that I'm bluffing?

Karu

So I have two votes, and I haven't been turboed yet.

Which would mean that either I'm bluffing, which I'm not, or at least one of the people voting on me is scum. And seeing as how most people seem suspicious of Ouro anyway...

This is MYLO. You really want to risk the chance that I'm bluffing?
Yes.

VOTE: CrimsonFist

Be done with it.

*Splinter

I guess I got the answer I wanted from Droplet, even if it was wholly unsatisfactory.

Let's hope tomorrow is a little more interesting than today was.

VOTE: CrimsomFist

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

CrimsonFist (4)
FluxWaveZ .1156 .1187
Ourobolus .1193
Droplet .1220
Karu .1227
Royal_Flush .1228

FluxWaveZ (1)
CrimsonFist .1162

*Splinter (0)
Karu .1157 .1168

*Splinter
Sawneeks

Day 4 ends:
gra_1451944800.png

5 votes for majority

uh, your spelling error threw the tally, but i shall count it for you, splinteroo

im generous

:x

-

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

CrimsonFist (5)
FluxWaveZ .1156 .1187
Ourobolus .1193
Droplet .1220
Karu .1227
Royal_Flush .1228
*Splinter .1229

FluxWaveZ (1)
CrimsonFist .1162

*Splinter (0)
Karu .1157 .1168

Sawneeks

Day 4 ends:
gra_1451944800.png

5 votes for majority

---

MAJORITY HAS BEEN REACHED.

DAY 4 HAS ENDED.

RESULTS SOON.

DAY 4 HAS ENDED

“Not like this…” You fell to your knees. “Not like this!”

The traitors were brazen now and they circled around you. They could taste victory, with enough numbers on their side, it was as good a bet as any to strongarm the remaining Crew’s members. One of them grinned and held a gun to your head.

“Just so you know, it was personal.”

You wished you had listened to the others now and more than that, you wished they had listened to you. The ones holding the gun would have been different, then. But the past remained a stark and terrifying reminder that you really had trusted the wrong people.

And the future was rapidly approaching as each of the traitors pressed their fingers on the triggers.

“See you in another life, mate!”

You were gunned down.

CrimsonFist has been removed from the train.

kRqWggv.gif

Welcome CrimsonFist!

You are ONE WHO DOESN’T STICK HIS NECK OUT FOR NOBODY. You are aligned with YOURSELF.

You’ve always looked out for your own interests. You’ve never once had the delusions of alliances or loyalty or really, any real friends. But in this line of work, who needs friends when you can buy them off the shelves with money, money, money! You are happy sailing with what the wind favours and your one true desire is to outlast everyone else.

You have the power to VOTE out a fellow passenger off the train during Day Phases with the command, Vote: <Player’s Name>.

Your train can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158386

Good luck!

“Would you look at that, my industrious thieves!” The Client remarked loudly. “Seems like Victory Station is just around the corner! How wonderful!”

Each person’s share is now: 2.14 INTERNET BILLION DOLLARS

Emerging from Tunnel in:
bla_1452031200.png

Night 4 Begins

Sohx9o0.png

XKXrW2y.png

Day 5 Begins

This time the darkness was short and sweet. You would be surprised if you weren’t… well, dead. In what seemed to be something only slightly longer than a few blinks of the eyes, the traitors moved to perform the last rites for the remaining Crew members.

It started with FluxWaveZ.

One of the traitors laughed before he pushed him to the floor and as soon as he was down, kicks landed on his stomach and everywhere else on his person. You thought you heard him cursed or maybe it was the sound of his bones breaking, either way, it didn’t matter much.

FluxWaveZ was beaten to death.

FluxWaveZ has been removed from the train.

hzvME8u.gif

The next moment, the other traitors had joined in the actions, laughing in the dark, where you couldn’t move, where you couldn’t defend yourselves, where you found your final moments. Your lives flashed before your eyes as the traitors chopped you up into pieces for simultaneously pragmatic and entertaining reasons.

You were dismembered and disposed in an environmentally responsible manner.

Sawneeks, Karu and Droplet have been removed from the train.

After the dust cleared, the traitors looked at each other and their gaze fell naturally upon the money bags. They took up the money and divided it up between themselves in a leisurely manner. A cool 5 Internet Billion Dollars for each of them.

MPiMP43.gif

They patted each other’s shoulder and remarked, “Well done! None of us died! GOAT TEAM!”

At this proclamation, an angry snow owl attacked the nearest train’s window, only to be ignored by the traitors’ team.

LDXLXZK.gif

“What’s all that noise?” The Client looked in. “Oh, terrific! Look, we are arriving at Victory Station!”

And indeed, looming in the near distance was the end of this murderous journey. The winners felt a mixture of relief and wealth. That was quite a strange sensation.

Slowly, a smile formed on your faces.

THE TRAITORS HAVE WON

-

ROLES:

• CREW: Droplet, redhood56, Burbeting/Sawneeks, Mazre, CornBurrito, squidyj, cabot/CzarTim, Karu, Ty4on, Kawl_USC, FluxWaveZ
Welcome PLAYER!

You are A THIEF WITH HONOR. You are aligned with THE CREW.

You have always been a professional with principles and you stick by your people, through thick and thin. You hardly can believe it that some of your pals are actually considering killing you in the name of money and personal gain. The crew was sacred, is it not? After all, you risked everything together! How could they do this to you?! You will not let them get away with it.

You have the power to VOTE out a fellow passenger off the train during Day Phases with the command, Vote: <Player’s Name>.

Your train can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158386

Good luck!
  • TRAITORS: Ourobolus, Royal_Flush, *Splinter
Welcome PLAYER!

You are A THIEF WITHOUT HONOR. You are aligned with THE TRAITORS.

Every one for themselves! Right? That was how it had begun a long time ago when you entered the life of a professional criminal. Now, you’ve hit the motherlode of all time! You are ready to retire. You don’t want to worry about money ever again for the rest of your life. If that means a few heads would have to roll, then so be it. It’s not like they are innocent by-standers or anything. Time to put “me, myself and I” to the top of priorities!

In order to secure your best chances, you have acquired the collaboration of TRAITOR and TRAITOR.

All TRAITORS have access to the normal Faction kill. To use it, PM me the command Kill: <Player’s Name>. You can also vote during the Day as per other normal player, with the command, Vote: <Player’s Name>.

Your private car can be found here: http://gafia.boards.net/threads/recent/139

Good luck!

You win when your numbers tie or outnumber THE CREW’s members.
  • NEUTRAL: CrimsonFist
Welcome CrimsonFist!

You are ONE WHO DOESN’T STICK HIS NECK OUT FOR NOBODY. You are aligned with YOURSELF.

You’ve always looked out for your own interests. You’ve never once had the delusions of alliances or loyalty or really, any real friends. But in this line of work, who needs friends when you can buy them off the shelves with money, money, money! You are happy sailing with what the wind favours and your one true desire is to outlast everyone else.

Good luck!

You win if you survive to the end and arrive at Victory Station.

THE CLIENT&#8217;S SECRET SPIDER DOSSIER

Alright, congratulations scummy traitors! You did it!

>:O

iwX8UpL.gif

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who signed up and participated! I saw how difficult it was for you all and I really felt I&#8217;m much obliged to everyone who trooped through that harrowing experience on the murder train! Thanksness!

So, I have said this at the Review thread, and also at the Spectator&#8217;s thread, which I will link here soon, that I put Heist together for Season 4.5 because I was curious on what the community fancies, in terms of future games set-ups and the like. Since Season 4 was incredibly speedy (I had heard this feedback a few times now), and the main games had a lot of power role shenanigans, I was wondering how the community would react to a pure vanilla set-up.

This community is still quite young, we&#8217;re about to hit our 1 year old anniversary soon, I think (February ish?) and I thought it would be good to be able to gauge what would work, what&#8217;s desired / popular, and where we can take it from here. Therefore, Heist.

Which is why I feel grateful to all of you who had taken part in this and especially those that toughed it out through the roughest, dullest, most frustrating sections of the train.

Alright, with that out of the way, here are my impressions!

General Impression:

I think it was a hard game to play in. I was actually worried at some stages that it was a set-up that the players couldn&#8217;t enjoy. So, sincere apologies for any heartaches, thieves! And respect to all of you who remained committed to the gameplay o7

It was also run during the holiday season and I noticed that the combination of the pure vanilla set-up and the holiday breaks had resulted in patches of abysmal activities that drove some of you up the wall. Though, it looks like the holiday thingies affected the other games as well, so I would suggest the community only to run fun and short bursts of games around this time of the year in the future. Vigilante, Target and ONUW would be terrific to fill in the holiday week, imo.

Scum Team performed extraordinarily well, and maybe I should have made the team smaller.

What I learned was that absolutely vanilla game with no power roles may be too hard to play (for town, especially) on a forum version, as Terrabyte20xx pointed out in FF spec thread (I agree, Terra!). Scum has clear advantage, especially in communication and as such their victories are more assured. So, I think in the future if the community needs to run a basic game, I would suggest a set-up with basic power roles that would balance town&#8217;s chances. Kawl also mentioned that there are newbie vanilla set ups with simple power roles that we can base our designs off, so that&#8217;s definitely a thing that we can look into.

One thing to note, though. When I advised the scum members of their roles in Heist, they came back with a little apprehension. I&#8217;m not sure if this was because scum teams haven&#8217;t been winning much in GAFia games or just people in general are feeling more pressure when they have to roll as baddies. I do feel the scum win-rate in main season games need to be addressed so that we do not discourage players&#8217; enjoyment even if they roll scum to play.

PwpsAKK.gif

Oh, and apparently I need to learn how to communicate / advertise the game. I clearly said that it was a game without power roles and that players will exit through lynches and night-kills only. I had wanted, though, to represent all the three factions&#8230; so in my mind a Neutral Survivor is not a power role, since it has no power, except voting. Which is the same with vanilla townie and vanilla mafia. But if that was a misunderstanding on my part, my bad!

OK. Let&#8217;s go over the players impression now :)

Player Impressions:

01. Droplet
Unfortunately Droplet had dropped in participation due to real life circumstances. She had played well in Cthulhu and I was looking forward to see her top form here and I could tell that she tried but time was just not working out for her.
02. redhood56
Reddie was odd but upbeat. I appreciated that he tried to keep the morale of the murder train up :) but I guess fluffiness didn&#8217;t quite work out for Reddie at the end. Still, his posts brought smiles to my face!
03. Ourobolus
Ouro played really well, I think. He was also the heart and driving force of the Traitors&#8217; team. Apparently, he holds a legit math degree! Apparently! We all hate Ouro for what he had done to us.
04. *Splinter
Splinteroo is hard to read and I think that&#8217;s a terrific skill to have as a mafia player. He was active and gutsy, and somewhat unpredictable. I have heard that Scum Splinter plays like Town and Town Splinter plays like Mafia. Not sure if this was true in Heist, but he was very entertaining to watch.
05. Sawneeks
Sawneeksie came as a replacement. She had good reads. I saw that when she named her top scums, there are usually one or two traitors&#8217; names in them, but she didn&#8217;t quite follow through. Maybe the holiday was distracting her, but I think she could be a stronger player in the future to watch for.
06. Mazre
Mazre is always a great player and always as cool as cucumber. Similarly in Archer, he was under scrutiny for most of the game because he was one calm customer. Looks like his playstyle makes people wary of him. For me, I think Mazre is underrated. He was probably the leader of the scum team in Nightvale, and his demise really left them in shambles. Unfortunately he was taken out very early in Heist. I&#8217;d like to see more of Mazre :)
07. CornBurrito
Cornie is always passionate and honest. I could tell his emotions from his posts :) He made a lot of contributions and I could sense when he was starting to feel really frustrated with town, and I always appreciate players who put in 100%. Too bad he got banned mid-way!
08. squidyj
Notorious squiders! I so look forward to playing with you again! Squidy is aggressive and succinct, cuts like a knife dripped in lemon juices, but he never ever flagged. He didn&#8217;t quite manage it here but he could be very persuasive when he wanted to&#8230; after all he really did take Haly out in Archer based on reads and armed with a botched roleclaim :D
09. CzarTim
:( THOSE TRAITORS REALLY DID HAVE NO HONOR. Sometimes I imagine what Czar would have brought into the game as another townie powerhouse but those scums didn&#8217;t allow it to happen&#8230;
10. Karu
Karu is a newcomer in Season 4, and he was quiet in NightVale, I assumed because he was also doing NaNo. But he came to form quite betterer in Heist. I think he&#8217;s a fun player and he&#8217;s conscientious. He kept up his participation and I totally would like to see more from Karu in our community :)
11. Royal_Flush
Royaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~. Great player. At the later parts of the game, he completely flew under the radar of most people&#8217;s scum reads. Roya&#8217;s contributive and thoughtful and he played really, really well, I think.
12. Ty4on
Another one that played well. Ty is always committed. He is also a player that wants to try and break established practices. He wants to push the envelope and stay frosty. I really like Ty. I think he&#8217;ll be a terrific player for whatever game he signs up for.
13. CrimsonFist
Crimson takes to Mafia like fish to water. He was amazing in Woof and he was the only Neutral here and I think he nailed it. I can only await to Town!Crimson now that we have witnessed Scum! and Neutral! Crimson. He&#8217;s one not to underestimate, for sure.
It&#8217;s unfortunate that he was taken out in the last Day phase, perhaps if he didn&#8217;t claim he could achieve his victory condition. I dunno, but a Survivor win is tough to fulfil.
14. Kawl_USC
Kawl is my favourite new comer for Season 4. He puts forward valuable insights, he&#8217;s level-headed and he&#8217;s always quietly positive. Kawl is also one that seemed to be keen to learn from every experience and that attitude will probably make him stronger and stronger a player in our community in the future. I also thought it was interesting that Kawl was the (real) first mafia kill in Heist. I think it spoke of how well he is regarded by the scum team.
15. FluxWaveZ
Flux is passionate, committed and unwavering. Like Kawl, he&#8217;s another one who&#8217;s not afraid of learning from painful experiences. He also dissected posts like a surgeon and he has initiatives. Where other players would be content to follow others&#8217; leads or too unsure to put forward targets for fellow players&#8217; considerations, Flux would present his suspicions with conviction. A definite player to watch in the future, for me.

Cabot and Burbeting joined us but left early, so I can&#8217;t comment much on their playstyle in Heist, but generally cabot is a fun player with a lot of energy who&#8217;s very active and very earnest, and Burbeting seems to be a kind guy with analytical playstyle. Wish they could have stayed but I&#8217;m sure the community will see more from them in the future :)

Overall, I'm very happy about everyone's participation since up to the last day everyone had a perfect voting record (that has not happened before... i think)...

Thanks again everyone for playing :D

-

Spectators Thread here: http://gafia.boards.net/thread/138/next-train-arriving-boatload-deadbodies

Traitors Thread here: http://gafia.boards.net/thread/139/tunnel-warriors

Any comments? Don&#8217;t hold back! A spider can take punches!
(and die)

*Splinter

I won't brag (any more) since no PRs is easy mode for scums. It was fun though, and I'd actually like to play more games like this in future. (Yes scum will usually win, but there is some serious GLORY on the line for the Town that can win this)

GG all :)

Great write up yn!

I think we got really really lucky that we had an event with not a single Scum involved that we could exploit for several days.

I will comment more on the game later today when I'm off this RL train I'm on right now.

I have to admit, whilst I knew there was a fair chance I'd get lynched when I was presenting town with a lose/lose scenario, I wasn't expecting to be met with quite that much disbelief, although I guess a lot of it did come from scum.

I guess I probably would have had a better chance of winning if I didn't claim, but after I almost got lynched the day before and with Flux constantly pushing for me, I figured it was worth the risk. Plus I had an unexpected role and wanted to do something with it.

Ourobolus

Banned
My offer to scum team was genuine, that was why I didn't shift my vote.
I briefly considered it, but it was too risky. Had you been town it was an interesting way to suddenly get all the names of scum.

I also wanted to do the same thing to YNNNY that everyone does in my games - question the moderator's design. :p

Top Bottom