• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Hellblade 2 - Is A 60FPS Performance Mode Actually Possible On Xbox Series X?

Topher

Gold Member

Testing with....

RX 6700
4800S CPU

Targeting PS5 specs

Edit:

60fps is possible, albeit not necessarily stable.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Targeting PS5

lnwh.gif

Killjoy-NL

Ofcourse it's possible at 60fps, just gotta make a few cuts here and there in the graphics department.

Is this really the level of these experts?

damidu

give them another 6-12 months to finish the game on par with every xbox release nowadays,
but i think its a gigantic flop so we might not hear anything from NT ever again

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Not enough for it to make any major difference. And there are aspects of the PS5 that are better than the Series X, and as we've seen all gen, the two have traded blows (with the PS5 taking the lead in plenty of face-offs).

Not enough raw, but with hardware VRS a little more and makes a better case as to whether Series X can achieve 60fps in performance mode if a PS5 target can make it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The video doesn't say that they're targeting PS5 specs, they're using the same CPU that's on the series X and a GPU that's the closest equivalent to the PS5 on the commercial PC GPU market.

b0uncyfr0

OFC it is, they just need to use FSR 3.1.

From the PC comparison, 40 fps was already easily achievable with a few tweaks - they did chose not to do it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not enough for it to make any major difference. And there are aspects of the PS5 that are better than the Series X, and as we've seen all gen, the two have traded blows (with the PS5 taking the lead in plenty of face-offs).
It depends where you look at, non of them are overall more powerful than the other, also depends on how the game is programmed, as more games are mostly designed for last gen and PS5 isn't as disruptive in terms of graphical features, they miss many Xbox graphic features but when games use heavier and more optimized use of the GPU features like in AW2 it has an advantage over PS5, but can see edge cases of data streaming favoring PS5.

Thing is, currently Xbox is in my opinion more advanced than PS5, it has features that will be used in future generations and Xbox went way too forward thinking, so if devs are in a constant production bottleneck where they couldn't switch to these modern features mid development, it's costly.

That's why we've seen games performing better on Xbox than PS5 since two years ago, but still bottlenecked due to PS5 architecture bring simpler and more straight forward to work with.

I think future cross gen games will favor Xbox notably, but PS5 Pro will probably be as efficient it more than current Xbox anyway.

The features in referring to are SFS, Geometry Shader, VRS and other stuff there probably using on HB2 for which I think they'd have to reimplement some of them in a less efficient way, they're part of RDNA 2 she DX12U so current PS5 can have them with some workarounds afaik but less efficiently while future PS5 will include them natively.

That's how interpret the current scenarios for both consoles.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It depends where you look at, non of them are overall more powerful than the other, also depends on how the game is programmed, as more games are mostly designed for last gen and PS5 isn't as disruptive in terms of graphical features, they miss many Xbox graphic features but when games use heavier and more optimized use of the GPU features like in AW2 it has an advantage over PS5, but can see edge cases of data streaming favoring PS5.

Thing is, currently Xbox is in my opinion more advanced than PS5, it has features that will be used in future generations and Xbox went way too forward thinking, so if devs are in a constant production bottleneck where they couldn't switch to these modern features mid development, it's costly.

That's why we've seen games performing better on Xbox than PS5 since two years ago, but still bottlenecked due to PS5 architecture bring simpler and more straight forward to work with.

I think future cross gen games will favor Xbox notably, but PS5 Pro will probably be as efficient it more than current Xbox anyway.

The features in referring to are SFS, Geometry Shader, VRS and other stuff there probably using on HB2 for which I think they'd have to reimplement some of them in a less efficient way, they're part of RDNA 2 she DX12U so current PS5 can have them with some workarounds afaik but less efficiently while future PS5 will include them natively.

That's how interpret the current scenarios for both consoles.
So, the Series X is bottlenecked due to the PS5? :nougat_rofl: When there is a win in either direction, the difference is often small enough to hardly be of any real impact to anything. This is about as close as it gets. Hardly the complete beatdowns to what the PS4 gave to the One.

When Hellblade comes to PS5, we'll see how it looks/performs.

Last edited:

proandrad

Series X can 100% push this game to 60. HB2 looks incredible but it's really linear and lacks a lot of interactivity. Like Starfield, trying to push it to 60 would have increased development time, so they opted to go for 30 to get the game out quicker.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So, the Series X is bottlenecked due to the PS5? :nougat_rofl: When there is a win in either direction, the difference is often small enough to hardly be of any real impact to anything. This is about as close as it gets. Hardly the complete beatdowns to what the PS4 gave to the One.

When Hellblade comes to PS5, we'll see how it looks/performs.
IMO it's mostly that PS5 is more straightforward, and the most popular platform, so devs don't see any reason to use anything the Xbox has because "who cares about Xbox? the game runs well enough". Alan Wake 2 is a good example that when you use architecture features you get better results.

Lysandros

IMO it's mostly that PS5 is more straightforward, and the most popular platform, so devs don't see any reason to use anything the Xbox has because "who cares about Xbox? the game runs well enough". Alan Wake 2 is a good example that when you use architecture features you get better results.
Are hardware features like custom I/O complex, cache scrubbers, tempest engine and ID buffer 'straightforward' to you? What makes you think that PS5 is any less advanced than XSX?

Edit: Avatar is also "a good example" i think. Current gen only, mesh shaders on both systems, RT GI at 60 FPS, not any less graphically impressive/complex than AW 2 and the game runs better on PS5.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
An example doesn't prove a distance of hardware capabilities, particularly if the game isn't taking true advantage of the hardware provided to it. Otherwise, plenty of games show the PS5's advantages over the X.

VRS was used in the Dead Space remake and it murdered image quality on series x.

I don't think the trade off would be worth it. The entire appeal of the game is the cinematic experience and graphical fidelity is key. It's one of the few 30fps games that looks good on an OLED because of quality motion blur and upscaling too.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

PS5 has more advanced hardware features, and development tools are much better. None of the xbox features has shown any advantages.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
PS5 has more advanced hardware features, and development tools are much better. None of the xbox features has shown any advantages.
Yeah, so it's more clear to the less savvy, the PS5 has better Wi-fi, faster graphics card, better I/O, faster SSD, and bigger pixel rate. The Series X has more CUs, TMUs, higher mem-bus, shading units, and faster CPU.

It is often why the PS5 has faster loading times and better performance in games, while the Series X is able to leverage a bit more raw power for output (res).

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
VRS was used in the Dead Space remake and it murdered image quality on series x.
I also hate it, disabled it in HB2, but fear devs will probably use it a lot when PS5 has native support for it.

An example doesn't prove a distance of hardware capabilities, particularly if the game isn't taking true advantage of the hardware provided to it. Otherwise, plenty of games show the PS5's advantages over the X.
Remedy literally talked in a devlog how they could squeze out more from Xbox due to that.

Are hardware features like custom I/O complex, cache scrubbers, tempest engine and ID buffer 'straightforward' to you? What makes you think that PS5 is any less advanced than XSX?
Yes, I'm pretty sure they don't need as much from devs output as changing geometry and texture streaming pipelines, from my POV Sony solved those issues focusing more on hardware solutions than MS and that's why they have an advantage considering devs are transitioning to new development paradigms like Nanite-like techs. That's smarter than going all-in "future-proof" as MS did.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I also hate it, disabled it in HB2, but fear devs will probably use it a lot when PS5 has native support for it.

Remedy literally talked in a devlog how they could squeze out more from Xbox due to that.
It still remains a rare exception to the rule. When more games start having discrepancies such as what happened with Wake, it'll be an argument with more weight. Otherwise, "Series X is more powerful" only tells a small piece of the story and ignores advantages not in its favor.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It still remains a rare exception to the rule. When more games start having discrepancies such as what happened with Wake, it'll be an argument with more weight. Otherwise, "Series X is more powerful" only tells a small piece of the story and ignores advantages not in its favor.
I'm not saying it's more powerful overall, I'm saying it has more pwoerful GPU performance in general, and I'm not counting the TF alone, I'm also referring to more modern features that are mostly unused. My predition when HB2 eventually comes to PS5 is that it will run worse since HB2 exploits Xbox Series X strength

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm not saying it's more powerful overall, I'm saying it has more pwoerful GPU performance in general, and I'm not counting the TF alone, I'm also referring to more modern features that are mostly unused. My predition when HB2 eventually comes to PS5 is that it will run worse since HB2 exploits Xbox Series X strength
Yes, it has a more powerful graphics card (in raw power, not speed). This was never in dispute.

I provided a spec differential (specs that matter) between the two and highlighted this. The systems remain as close in power, overall, as it gets though. As always, the games do the talking and show that, outside of very specific cases (res wll favor the X, load times/framerate will favor the PS5), the results are nearly identical every time. Before these things even released, folks in the know predicted this would be the case.

As for running worse on PS5, I wouldn't be so sure, but considering a Pro PlayStation will likely be the focus at that point, this discussion will be moot anyway.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Yes, it has a more powerful graphics card (in raw power, not speed). This was never in dispute.
I have to disagree there. That is very much in dispute since XSX actually has a less powerful GPU when it comes to various fixed function throughputs such as pixel fill rate, geometry generation/rasterization, culling, command processing, async scheduling etc. Those are all "raw" throughputs related to a GPU's overall power. I don't think it makes any sense take speed out of the power equation, it is an inherent and determining factor. Same is true for other facets influencing the efficiency such as cache latencies/bandwidth and cache scrubbers. A GPUs power is the sum of all those things it's not just about of one or two metrics in isolation. So yeah, very much in dispute and with good reasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom