• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade in VR is a very unique experience

Drizzlehell

Banned
At first I thought it was weird that they would release a VR mode for this and retain the third person camera because if that's what you're gonna do with the format then what's the point?

But then this scene happened:

And I'll be honest, the way the scene starts, where you first approach some doors and then Senua slowly turns around because she hears something behind her, and then she suddenly stares directly into the camera (i.e. at you)... let's say that "unsettling" is a very light way to put it, lol. It actually kinda made me wonder if the developer intended for the player's POV to be some kind of a fourth-wall breaking thing, and the dark rot that slowly consumes Senua's arm with each death is supposed to be a metaphor for players themselves, and the way we keep making her lose fights and observe her with our invisible eyes, contributing to her growing paranoia and declining mental state? There are even moments in the game where Senua hallucinates literal eyes that suddenly appear on trees and stones and it really feels uncomfortable. Idk, it seems like there's something to be interpreted in there but I'm just too stupid to put my finger on it right now. All I know is that VR really changes how this game feels from like a narrative and thematic perspective, and it's kinda brilliant.

It's also really helpful in combat too, because I suddenly found it way easier to navigate through larger fights and actually see when an enemy tried to attack me from behind.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think they should explore more third person in vr. Has potential bring vr more upto par with aaa gaming.
Yeah, I would like to see more VR games that aren't first person. There's a certain fun "playing with toys" kind of feeling to games that you can interact with from a spectator's perspective, except instead of playing with inanimate objects you play with things that actually move and react to your hands. There were some indie games that utilized this concept to varying degrees of success and it was super cool.

feynoob

Banned
MS not pursuing VR is a crime against gaming.

They have the richest VR content in the industry and they don't even want to pursue this sector.

Entire Bethesda catalogue, this game, Minecraft, avowed, perfect dark, flight sim, halo, and Forza series. All these games shine in VR world.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait it has VR mode? I hated that game in "2D", but I would give it a shot, especially when it is gamepass title

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wait it has VR mode? I hated that game in "2D", but I would give it a shot, especially when it is gamepass title
Code:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/747350

It comes free on Steam if you already have the base game. Dunno about gamepass but I reckon it's a similar deal there as well.

Last edited:
That scene was mind blowing to me, the way she seems to stare into your soul while talking can feel a little uncomfortable in a way that only VR can do :messenger_grinning_sweat: It's a shame they didn't do it more throughout the game, It doesn't always stay in game and the constant switching out to flat 2D cutscenes got a little jarring. Still a better way to enjoy the game tho

They have the richest VR content in the industry and they don't even want to pursue this sector.

Entire Bethesda catalogue, this game, Minecraft, avowed, perfect dark, flight sim, halo, and Forza series. All these games shine in VR world.
I'm not sure if you count AR, but MS had the Hololens at one point and even showed it at an E3 in 2015...

...but there has been nothing mentioned about it for a few years now. The last thing I've seen was this live test, aabout a year ago:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not sure if you count AR, but MS had the Hololens at one point and even showed it at an E3 in 2015...

...but there has been nothing mentioned about it for a few years now. The last thing I've seen was this live test, aabout a year ago:

There is some AR stuff available for Quest 2 and it's a neat feature. I'm yet to see anyone doing anything interesting with it, though. There were some basic apps that allowed you to replace your wall with an opening into some virtual world, or an AR game where you were chasing bad guys around your house, but it's very rudimentary stuff, almost a proof of concept. I reckon we'd first need some proper front-facing cameras that can produce higher quality colour picture for it to work as it should.

Kuranghi

Happens when every other user asks me if I'm on drugs.

In that case my bad.

Ohhhh right, I remember someone asking if you were on coke the other day, I get ya, soz for misunderstanding pal. I meant what was happening to Senua was the effects of quitting smoking weed, sort of a "war on drugs" sort of joke, a subpar one clearly. I made it confusing by writing "@OP" probably.

Nubulax

We all know why... because they will just buy their way in when its more mature and popular... why innovate and be creative when you can just brute force your money into it

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We all know why... because they will just buy their way in when its more mature and popular... why innovate and be creative when you can just brute force your money into it
MS tried with holo lens and a bunch of partnerships for windows mixed reality headsets. Then they pretty much bailed although Flight Sim has a great VR mode on PC. The biggest travesty is that they own a bunch of PCVR content but don't put the VR version on gamepass, the title in the OP being a prime example. Meanwhile there are several 3rd party titles with VR support on gamepass.

hlm666

People need to stop listing flight sim in their microsoft should do VR posts, Maybe even minecraft aswell, there have been VR mods for tthat for years aswell.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ohhhh right, I remember someone asking if you were on coke the other day, I get ya, soz for misunderstanding pal. I meant what was happening to Senua was the effects of quitting smoking weed, sort of a "war on drugs" sort of joke, a subpar one clearly. I made it confusing by writing "@OP" probably.
All good, all good. I should've known better than to try insulting someone in the first place, lol.

Anyway, quitting will only make things more boring, lol. Smoke weed every day.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The VR scene that freaked me out the most was holding the baby in Resi Evil Village. I only wish I could have experienced Lady D before noping the fuck out of there. 😂
Yeah, I mean, I wasn't freaked out or anything but it was pretty weird. Like "oh, I guess I'm holding a baby now and I don't want to... where do I deposit it as quickly as possible?"

MS tried with holo lens and a bunch of partnerships for windows mixed reality headsets. Then they pretty much bailed although Flight Sim has a great VR mode on PC. The biggest travesty is that they own a bunch of PCVR content but don't put the VR version on gamepass, the title in the OP being a prime example. Meanwhile there are several 3rd party titles with VR support on gamepass.
Oh right, this reminded me that Microsoft by default locks you out of the game files on your own damn hard drive if you download them from their store, which probably makes it that much harder to install any third party VR mods. Good thing that you reminded me because I was thinking about buying Mechwarrior 5 so I should probably go for the Steam version.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Always the ignorant ones with these comments.

They’ve done their fair share of VR innovation in the past. They had their Windows Mixed Reality VR headsets providing relatively good inside out tracking years ago. All in-house. Their studios have released VR games. Minecraft VR, Flight Sim VR, Hellblade VR…

Lol @ ‘more mature and popular’. The market seems relatively stagnant at the moment for anything not Quest, and even that has stalled while the market waits for the Quest 3.

Top Bottom