• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS 2 launches to Mixed reviews on Steam (Up: PSN controversy pushes them back to 'Mixed')

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's now at 63% with a new all-time peak of 73.3k.

Edit: 74k

Last edited:

twilo99

Why are there no reviews of this game from any of the usual outlets? Completely useless of course, but still entertaining to read some of them.

BlackTron

Why are there no reviews of this game from any of the usual outlets? Completely useless of course, but still entertaining to read some of them.

It's a gaas mp title, so they couldn't be "sent the game early" to "finish it" and write a review. They're grappling with the same issues everyone else is trying to figure out where it's gonna settle on the fuck up scale.

twilo99

It's a gaas mp title, so they couldn't be "sent the game early" to "finish it" and write a review. They're grappling with the same issues everyone else is trying to figure out where it's gonna settle on the fuck up scale.

That makes sense .. I always forget that games like CoD get a review because it pretends to have a single player campaign thing

Three

Agreed. Anything that I need a special tool to remove from my computer after I uninstall your game should be banned.

I know the devs were out there like “trust us bro, it will remove itself when you uninstall” but I’m not taking their word for it.
So wait, the devs actually said GameGuard is removed at the same time as the game is uninstalled and that they even have the gguninstal in the game directory (so no dubious download if uninstall somehow fails) but you're just calling 'fake news'?
People can check if this is the case in literally 5mins, there is no reason to bullshit.

SenaxxNL

To the people who already play it, is it any good?
Spend a bit more then 5 hours on the game yesterday in coop with a buddy of mine and we really like it.

You do missions with objectives and earn XP and medals with that. XP upgrades your level which allows you buy new weapons and stratagems (pokeballs with like turret, resupply, cluster strikes). The medals can be spend on the free battlepass for new weapons and upgrades and armor and helmets and boosts. It's a bit of a grindy gameplay loop but i don't mind that. The difficulty is pretty high, they have like 7 or 8 difficulty's and we are playing currently on medium (which is the 3rd difficulty i think?) and for duo's this can be pretty challenging already.

If you like this type of games it's super fun for a whole lot of hours. But I would recommend it with a buddy or 2 or 3. Although there is matchmaking and cross play

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Improving rapidly.

ps8Ge67.jpg

Once the servers are equipped to handle the above-expected launch, this will rank above 80-85% most likely.

TrebleShot

These steam reviews show the pedantic pathetic side of PC gaming.

One little thing can spurn the community, the connection issues are annoying but on PC seems to be pretty stable now which took less than 12 hours and Id imagine a couple more hot fixes will sort it out.

People banging on about pay to win, there is no pay to win, the MTX are just for cosmetics which are completely optional.

Its not a MMO or game like suicide squad, you can play this on your own.

Then theres the anti-cheat, I imagine to stop people from hacking it and ruining the overall galactic mission thing. Ive never had an issue with anti-cheat that I know of and if you dont like it , no one is forcing you to play it on PC.

Bunch of fucking babies.

Three

One little thing can spurn the community, the connection issues are annoying but on PC seems to be pretty stable now which took less than 12 hours and Id imagine a couple more hot fixes will sort it out.

People banging on about pay to win, there is no pay to win, the MTX are just for cosmetics which are completely optional.

Then theres the anti-cheat, I imagine to stop people from hacking it and ruining the overall galactic mission thing. Ive never had an issue with anti-cheat that I know of and if you dont like it , no one is forcing you to play it on PC.

Bunch of fucking babies.
It has nothing to do with PC gaming specifically and a game releasing with connection issues does need to at least get called out. I just wish Steam reviews had better filters so that you can make more informed decisions from them. For example make it easier for choosable date ranges so that you can filter launch hiccups, the ability to filter out reviews based on keywords so you can maybe get rid of some of the dumb reasons to hate a game like "omg I think the author of this game is a nazi who hates lesbians" or "omg this game is so woke". That's the pathetic crying baby side of reviews I'd like to get rid of. Other than that i think steams review system works very well.

It's weird as the EN review score on Steam is now at the very positive threshold with 81% of them being positive. Looks like there's lots of negative reviews coming from Chinese players dragging the avg down.

image.png

TrebleShot

It has nothing to do with PC gaming specifically and a game releasing with connection issues does need to at least get called out. I just wish Steam reviews had better filters so that you can make more informed decisions from them. For example make it easier for choosable date ranges so that you can filter launch hiccups, the ability to filter out reviews based on keywords so you can maybe get rid of some of the dumb reasons to hate a game like "omg I think the author of this game is a nazi who hates lesbians" or "omg this game is so woke". That's the pathetic crying baby side of reviews I'd like to get rid of. Other than that i think steams review system works very well.
Yeah call them out on the issues, but a 12 hour turn around or more like 8 is pretty decent. There are issues but the game isnt like a competitive shooter like COD for example and has probably the 5th size of a team.

Not only that but I cant remember an online game that didnt launch without some issue that knocked it offline for a couple of hours on launch.

my biggest issue is no cross save at launch, which is a shame but not a deal breaker. I wanted to hop from PC to PS5.

Last edited:

Three

Yeah call them out on the issues, but a 12 hour turn around or more like 8 is pretty decent. There are issues but the game isnt like a competitive shooter like COD for example and has probably the 5th size of a team.

Not only that but I cant remember an online game that didnt launch without some issue that knocked it offline for a couple of hours on launch.
The team did a really good job on it, yeah. Ideally now that the connection problems are fixed players could go back and edit their steam review but I don't think many bother with that feature of the system. It is what it is. Hopefully more recent reviews offset it over time if they keep this good support up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gone from 53% when this thread was made to 68% now. The servers crashed near launch prompting a lot of the initial negative reviews, but seems like it's only going up now. Very good peak player count too, seems like an all round success.
Looking forward to Arrowhead joining PlayStation Studios soon. 🤞

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
There's been a wild trend I'm seeing where people come to conclusions about a games worth by simply "observing" and not actually engaging. Like, if your describe this game as a "looter shooter" you clearly are just observing, and taking that as enough to judge the game. For example:

I played SS completely solo (for the most part); good luck doing that in this game. And while the MTX in this game isn't strictly P2W, it does put game content behind a paywall, something SS doesn't do.

. . . like, good impressions or bad, at least make them valid.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gone from 53% when this thread was made to 68% now. The servers crashed near launch prompting a lot of the initial negative reviews, but seems like it's only going up now. Very good peak player count too, seems like an all round success.

The games awesome. If I have a great weekend with it, I'm going to post a positive review and I never post reviews.

Good luck with that. Fortnite, Hell Let Loose, iRacing, Gears 5, Halo MCC, Apex Legends, The Division 2, PUBG, Fall guys... The list goes on.

You'd be giving everybody a failing score because these all use Kernel level anticheats.
No worries, because I don't play multiplayer games that much. And if gets too extreme, there the "other" option of playing the game if it's single player.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

There's been a wild trend I'm seeing where people come to conclusions about a games worth by simply "observing" and not actually engaging. Like, if your describe this game as a "looter shooter" you clearly are just observing, and taking that as enough to judge the game. For example:

I played SS completely solo (for the most part); good luck doing that in this game. And while the MTX in this game isn't strictly P2W, it does put game content behind a paywall, something SS doesn't do.

. . . like, good impressions or bad, at least make them valid.
Once again there is no pay to win in this, you buy points to buy cosmetics, there are no purchases against guns or equipment, its exactly like SS. In SS you need to pay something like $30 for some skins.

GymWolf

Once again there is no pay to win in this, you buy points to buy cosmetics, there are no purchases against guns or equipment, its exactly like SS. In SS you need to pay something like $30 for some skins.
Did we played together yesterday with the mic? you had 99 at the end right?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shows just how little stock you should put in day one steam reviews.

Shows you how much stock you should put in Steam reviews. Game was a mess at launch, and developers had to immediately jump in and fix it.
You want people to just blindly buy into games that aren’t working properly at launch just because you like the company/game?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Shows you how much stock you should put in Steam reviews. Game was a mess at launch, and developers had to immediately jump in and fix it.
You want people to just blindly buy into games that aren’t working properly at launch just because you like the company/game?
Exactly.

And some devs fix it within 24 hours and others weeks or never.

If you had plans to play opening hours with a friend and this happened , you would have been burned and pissed.

Reviews of bugs/network issues etc are the most valuable ones.

Top Bottom