• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

RyanEvans21

I tried that, first game after I did that I got into a group, but after that all quick play attempts failed as before. Then tonight I got failed to connect to server. So I've given up for now, I'll wait for a patch. Shame, it's fun for what I've played of it so far.
Lucky for me! I dont have any luck joining people when cross-play on.

Got to play some games tonight by hopping into the game of someone on my PSN list. Really enjoyed it. That was after matchmaking failed me.

Can't wait for a few more patches! Should really rock. (This is simultaneously serious and sarcastic.)

Planet Heeth has been liberated.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

drotahorror

Light armor because mobility>>>>defense regardless of playing solo or otherwise. Strats:

- Machine Gun (and I've unlocked the ship upgrade so it drops fully stocked)
- Eagle Cluster Bomb
- Orbital Gatling Barrage
- Gatling Turret
- booster for fully stocked magazines

Weapons:

-SMG (third tier unlock on battle pass), 1 handed so works when carrying something
- Uzi
-starting grenades

Jet pack seems like it could be handy and I just hit level 10 so I can unlock drone that follows you around, need to experiment with these too.

Pretty similar to what I've been using. I just grabbed the shotgun in the 4th? tier and it's now replaced my SMG. I'm not sure I like the drone, it shoots at patrols randomly, or maybe I was too close. I use the light armor w/scout perk.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This game must have the most inconsistent climbing/vaulting system i ever experienced in a vg :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Like other people said, challenging mode is where the fun really start.

The game js still utterly broken on pc but we had good matches yesterday with some gaffers.

P.s. tommi i erased you from my friends by mistake and sent another friend request.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Got the trophy for extracting a full squad of 4 on Hard difficulty or higher with a group of randoms last night, currently only 10% of players have it. Did it all with no mics, everyone just intuitively knew what to do and played smart, it's a beautiful thing.

I'd like to emphasize some of the benefits of playing solo though (beyond the satisfaction of doing it all on your own against all odds). First and foremost you're going to need a lot of resources for ship upgrades which give you powerful, permanent passive buffs to your character. Once you start playing on harder difficulties there is so much chaos and focus on just surviving that no one is paying attention to collecting resources and even if you or they *are* it's all dropped on death and amidst the madness *nobody* goes back to pick up what was lost, I've finished multiple games where zero resources were gained.

So the absolute best way to get these resources is solo play, go into a map and take your time methodically combing the entire landscape while doing every side objective for sweet XP. I can easily solo Medium level missions now, next step is Challenging lol. Solo is also the best way to learn the various mission types organically without being swarmed by a million bugs/bots with explosions going off around you every 2 seconds.

Now back to the hunt soldier, the liberation continues, see you on the frigid dark side of Heeth!
XopKW72.jpg

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

bender

What time is it?
Tried some of the robot missions and I can't say that I'm a fan. It's impressive how differently things play out but I much prefer squashing bugs.

Tried some of the robot missions and I can't say that I'm a fan. It's impressive how differently things play out but I much prefer squashing bugs.
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. There is so much more destruction when fighting the robots. The chaos just gets turned up to 10. You are constantly blowing up various outposts. But 100% agree how different the enemies play against. For future updates, If they can make various factions alter gameplay that dramatically between factions than the future is really bright

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Loving the new unlocked planets.
One like Mars and one like the moon.

Also got my first kick from a team today.
Accidently killed myself and the host in a 320mm HE barrage.
Gotta stay far away from that, it's quite devastating. Lol

Last edited:

dreamstation

Gold Member
Loving the new unlocked planets.
One like Mars and one like the moon.
That's weird. Why is the next section unlocked when we haven't finished Angel's Venture? I went over to the automaton planets for the personal order and didn't notice that the next bug section was started.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's weird. Why is the next section unlocked when we haven't finished Angel's Venture? I went over to the automaton planets for the personal order and didn't notice that the next bug section was started.
Yeah, I was surprised too.

Maybe it unlocks adjacent planets?
Initially thought we had to conquer that final planet first, but when I scrolled over the next zone out of curiosity, I noticed there were already a couple thousand people fighting over there.

Last edited:

T-0800

I’m going to go first…

This is the best PS5 game.

Better than spider man 2, GOW ragnarok , Ratchet and Horizon.

And yes better than Returnal.
Season 4 Joey GIF by Friends

I just received a silver trophy for dropping a supply pod on one of the big enemies. Accidentally saved my own life.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It took 3 years but we have the quintessential ps5 game right here for me.

Everything is so proffesionally honed...apart from maybe the climbing. Lol

But the weight, the impact, the hectic gameplay.

I hope they can keep up a steady clip of content as the base for this is incredible.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. There is so much more destruction when fighting the robots. The chaos just gets turned up to 10. You are constantly blowing up various outposts. But 100% agree how different the enemies play against. For future updates, If they can make various factions alter gameplay that dramatically between factions than the future is really bright

I've only played a few matches against the robots and most of those have been at night so I'm not really accustom to the ebb and flow yet. Most of those missions have been at night and I have a hard time even seeing what is going on. Also, the bugs have this satisfying pop when they die that the robots appear to be missing. Just having enemies firing back at you changes the dynamic so much. Helldivers 2 is much more mechanical diverse but the insects swarming give me the same vibes as L4D and EDF which are my favorite co-op games ever. The robots give off a completely different vibe which has taken me aback. It's almost like playing a different game all together.

Everything is so proffesionally honed...apart from maybe the climbing. Lol

Past a certain height, the AI sucks at climbing too. I've salvaged two runs by landing my drop pod on top of a very high cliff.

Last edited:

Buhaj

Game is great so far, premium warbond is not locking any game changing stuff it seems. Does the player become stronger just by levelling up with no new weapons bought? Thought the game becomes easier on Medium when I'm levelling up but maybe I'm just getting used to the pace.

Also, does the booster apply to the whole team if only one player has it equipped? Some strategems can be used by all players separately,, and some are locked when just one player uses them - not sure how to tell which are which - so many questions lol

You fookers, you're gonna make me buy the game in the end 😁

Not interested in this type.of game whatsoever (GaaS) but this damned hype...

Problem is, my PS plus is expiring next week so this whole thing would cost me 120 Eurodollars (80 + 40 for the game), i do have a laptop and I could get it from Steam but I don't know how well it'd run on it (16GB RAM, RTX 3050Ti, Ryzen 5800H)
If coop shooters aren't your thing and you aren't a fan of live service stuff, this won't change anything. This is coming from someone that thinks it's one of the best multiplayer shooters ever.

Watch some footage and see what you think.

Game is great so far, premium warbond is not locking any game changing stuff it seems. Does the player become stronger just by levelling up with no new weapons bought? Thought the game becomes easier on Medium when I'm levelling up but maybe I'm just getting used to the pace.

Also, does the booster apply to the whole team if only one player has it equipped? Some strategems can be used by all players separately,, and some are locked when just one player uses them - not sure how to tell which are which - so many questions lol
The premium warbond does look like it locks the explosive rifle as I couldn't see that on the free one, so that's a bit annoying.

The guns don't get stronger, you have to pick the most appropriate one for the types of enemies you'll face (e.g. recoilless rifle for Bile Titan or marksman rifle for robots).

Yes, boosters apply to the whole team. My friend and I tried using the same booster but only one of us could take it and we all felt the benefits.

Hot5pur

Can't seem to log on, playing on Steam :(

Edit: just mash buttons alot on the press any key screen

Last edited:
They reallly need to get the connection and server issues sorted or the game will just die off quickly. This is grinding my gears so much, they made a great game but their launch has been a shit show. They should have made an open beta first of all to do a stress test. Love the game, but the server being down and the constant disconnects and matchmaking barely working (although better now).

Luipadre

Gold Member
I watched cohh's stream last night until 3 AM, send help. Its so fun to watch, but its even more fun to play. Its amazing. Everyone i watched had a blast playing this, outside of sponsored streams too

Last edited:

Varteras

This game keeps surprising me with the things we discover. Like the Railgun stratagem that is available to everyone at all times right now. Last night we ran a mission to kill Automatons. Stumbled onto a SAM site. Powered it up. After we did that, any time an enemy dropship appeared in the area the SAM site took it out. I'm sure there is a range on it but we were a pretty good distance away and it fired on them. During a different mission, we found an artillery emplacement. Loaded it up with five shells. Went out to do the objective and discovered that it unlocked a new stratagem for all of us to call down artillery fire. The type of rounds that it fired depended on the color of the shells we loaded. Just stuff like that keeping the experiences fresh.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, just solo'd a Challenging map and only died once while completing a few sub objectives too. Strategically took out a Charger with a supply drop and got a trophy for it lol. Railgun strat available to all came in handy too against another Charger who was chasing me around as I destroyed the hatchery, 6 shots to the face does it, no need to maneuver around to it's backside 👌

I was initially quite apprehensive about purchasing this game, particularly when the comments about the quality in the graphics on PS5 and matchmaking. However I took the plunge and I’m so glad that I did. It’s absolutely fantastic it’s the most fun I’ve had from a co-op game in a long time.

Nothing beats a good salute as Eagle artillery blast around you.

Top Bottom