• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP! Car's automatic transmission gear stuck on P and wont move!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a rental car with automatic transmission, early yesterday I took a short trip with it then parked it infront of the house... Later that day when I tried to drive it, the car turned on alright, everything seemed to work normally, except for the gear stick, it's stuck/jammed on the P position and wont move! Initially I thought it might have to do with the cold, it's been around 0 degrees Celsius more or less the past couple of days and then I noticed a button right next to the gear with an ice crystal symbol on it, so I figured I have to activate some "defrost" mechanism or something by pressing the button... I kept it On for a long time while the car is getting warmed up, but the gear still wont move :( The car has been working flawlessly for the past month.

I don't have much experience with automatic transmission cars... Any idea what could be causing this? It's a Reno Laguna.

Tarazet

Reminds me of a story I read in a C/D 10Best article a few years ago. An older customer goes into a car-rental place, I think it was Avis, and asks them if all of their cars are automatics. The guy at the register (he's the one who wrote the story) tells him yes, all of our cars have automatic transmissions.

"But I don't know how to drive an automatic!"

He had never driven an automatic before - he was renting a car because his 300ZX was in the shop. So the guy had to go out and explain PRNDL to him. :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
He, when I went to San Francisco a few years ago for work, I had never driven an automatic car before too. I did not dare asking for help so I figured everything out myself, not that it was difficult of course. What an awful car this was.

darscot

The one thing that made me laugh about San Fran is the smell. It's a port city so you get nice ocean breeze. But the place just reeks of burning brakes and clutches. It's like when people wear cologne to cover BO.

Tarazet

Crispy said:
I certainly wouldn't know how to drive an automatic either, hardly anyone drives in automatics over here.

Yeah, in America it's 90% automatics and in Europe it's the exact opposite. Personally I love a good stick-shift, drove one in some of California's worst traffic for 5 years and never got tired of it, but when I got my Element I got an automatic so my mom could drive it. I should've have done that, because she hasn't driven it once.... should've saved the $800 and gotten a 5-speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom