• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! HDR problem

makaveli60

It won't say it's outputting an HDR image until the game is launched. Did you mess with the HDR settings in the PlayStation Settings?
Nope. When I took thst photo Horizon was running. Strangely running R&C now it shows this:

SigIFiB.jpg

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Dunno. it's not a high end set. Got a Hisense H55U7BUK which isnt amazing but is still the best TV I've ever had and was all I could afford anyway! The HDR looks quite good, especially in dolby vision.

It doesnt seem like it gets bright enough for good HDR. I have a cheap Vizio V series the same way, I think it looks better with HDR off because of that reason.

JeloSWE

Really? Looks worse.
Currently the 12 bit is superfluous, there are very few displays that goes beyond 10bit and it's not needed for smooth gradient unless the display can do close to 10.000 nits. Also the 422 means that the color information is of lower resolutions. while RGB is always 444.

Last edited:
Currently the 12 bit is superfluous, there are very few if no consumer displays that goes beyond 10bit. Also the 422 means that the color information is of lower resolutions. while RGB is always 444.
Would that be something to do with the ps4 being locked to 1080 and the pro being 4k? anyway the same image looks better on the pro for whatever reason. Both consoles are on auto settings.

Edit. Ignore that I just looked on the pro and that's the reason it gives. HDMI2 bandwidth limitations for 4k. Still looks nicer on the pro.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

You won't see yuv 420 or 422. Those are 4K color ranges.
That is not correct. It could be used with any resolution. 444 is full resolution color, 422 is half and 420 is a quarter so the bandwidth needed is less, that is why if you want 10bit HDR at 4K within the current HDMI 2.0 spec you can't afford full 444 as it will exceed the band width limit and instead have to use 420. With HDMI 2.1 we will be able to do 4K HDR 10bit 444.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That is not correct. It could be used with any resolution. 444 is full resolution color, 422 is half and 420 is a quarter so the bandwidth needed is less, that is why if you want 10bit HDR at 4K within the current HDMI 2.0 spec you can't afford full 444 as it will exceed the band width limit and instead have to use 420. With HDMI 2.1 we will be able to do 4K HDR 10bit 444.

I stand corrected.

makaveli60

Ok, then the problem is maybe me, I was expecting something else it seems. I based my expectations on the youtube hdr videos which I compared in sdr and hdr even on different sets, and when I watched them in hdr on my tv they looked a lot better, the colors popped out insanely and I expected this too for games. The worst case was Forza Horizon where hdr did nothing but made the colors washed out. At least this was what I noticed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
great HDR demo's are

god of war
tetris effect
gt sport

those games look amazing on my c9

i did not think horizon looked great in HDR tbh

Last edited:

Quasicat

Thank you for posting this. I’ve been disappointed with my HDR set since I picked it up in November. It’s a Sony 800g and I’m seeing the exact same things you are. The SDR looks amazing enough, but HDR is washed out and dim. I went to RTINGS and did some reading. Apparently, I need to play around with the HDR settings a bit more. Good luck with getting yours the way you want it.

JeloSWE

Ok, then the problem is maybe me, I was expecting something else it seems. I based my expectations on the youtube hdr videos which I compared in sdr and hdr even on different sets, and when I watched them in hdr on my tv they looked a lot better, the colors popped out insanely and I expected this too for games. The worst case was Forza Horizon where hdr did nothing but made the colors washed out. At least this was what I noticed.
That is weird. Forza Horizon on my PC has very good HDR. If it looks like the image has a low contrast whitish milk overlay look to it then the source device is outputting HDR properly but the display device isn't showing it correctly.

On our Sony's, there should be an HDR badge at the top when opening the Picture Settings menu.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Did you find the HDR black level to make sure it's matching?

Also you can adjust the color slider on your set to adjust the "washed" look.

makaveli60

Thank you for posting this. I’ve been disappointed with my HDR set since I picked it up in November. It’s a Sony 800g and I’m seeing the exact same things you are. The SDR looks amazing enough, but HDR is washed out and dim. I went to RTINGS and did some reading. Apparently, I need to play around with the HDR settings a bit more. Good luck with getting yours the way you want it.
I spent the whole weekend testing and trying, but it seems I'm not done yet. Thanks, good luck to you too, mate!

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 Actually I tried that and forgot that that one was the exception, that indeed looks better in hdr

makaveli60

That is weird. Forza Horizon on my PC has very good HDR. If it looks like the image has a low contrast whitish milk overlay look to it then the source device is outputting HDR properly but the display device isn't showing it correctly.

On our Sony's, there should be an HDR badge at the top when opening the Picture Settings menu.
Yep, I have that. Couldn't figure out the problem, tried calibrating every way in the game's menu but no luck

makaveli60

Did you find the HDR black level to make sure it's matching?

Also you can adjust the color slider on your set to adjust the "washed" look.
I will check tomorrow, but I have to sleep now, work starts soon. Will update later, thanks guys

Rikkori

Don't bother. 800G is not really a HDR TV as it has no ability to locally dim the lights. If you put the games in HDR then it will still shift the colour space which if you like you can do that, but I'd say it's not worth thinking about.

Forza Horizon HDR is very muted, it has no real pop outside of some very specific scenes. Someone that's not impressed with the HDR in HZD et al is absolutely not going to be impressed with it in FH4, especially if they focus on the colours.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
The reason why I asked those questions earlier was because OP said that when running the YouTube app on his TV, the HDR was fine. I'm also in the camp of him needing a HDMI 2.0 cable. They're pretty cheap off amazon or monoprice nowadays. You shouldn't have to adjust the settings this much just to get a decent HDR picture on that TV.

YCoCg

Can the PS4 play videos files (MKV) off a USB drive? If so, then get the HDR Calibration kit and adjust your TV settings accordingly (make sure it IS switching to a HDR profile Games/Videos are launched), that way you'll know the TV itself is correctly configured for base HDR10 since you can't use the same settings for SDR and HDR.

makaveli60

The reason why I asked those questions earlier was because OP said that when running the YouTube app on his TV, the HDR was fine. I'm also in the camp of him needing a HDMI 2.0 cable. They're pretty cheap off amazon or monoprice nowadays. You shouldn't have to adjust the settings this much just to get a decent HDR picture on that TV.
Yeah, I will buy one and try it. However, what I heard is that what is more important is that the device must also have such a port. I wonder if the launch ps4 from 2013 has it?

Y YCoCg
Good idea, will try it

dano1

A Sheep
For some reason the hdmi inputs on the Sony TVs aren’t set for enhanced 4K or hdr. At least not on mine. That might be your issue.

Amaranty

If you ever get the chance to play God of War then you should see quite a big difference between SDR and HDR. It was really the only game, where HDR looked great.

makaveli60

If you ever get the chance to play God of War then you should see quite a big difference between SDR and HDR. It was really the only game, where HDR looked great.
I will try it then next. Maybe you can tell me a specific location to check and what to check exactly? Where I can make a good comparison. I finished the game so should be no problem getting anywhere.

Amaranty

I will try it then next. Maybe you can tell me a specific location to check and what to check exactly? Where I can make a good comparison. I finished the game so should be no problem getting anywhere.
The furnace/blacksmith area right next to the room with the big tree (where you can teleport). I switched back and forth between SDR and HDR looking at the flames that are coming from the furnace. It looked pretty good in HDR.

The room with the huge tree is also a great place, since it's a dark room with glowing elements.

makaveli60

The furnace/blacksmith area right next to the room with the big tree (where you can teleport). I switched back and forth between SDR and HDR looking at the flames that are coming from the furnace. It looked pretty good in HDR.

The room with the huge tree is also a great place, since it's a dark room with glowing elements.
Great, will try it when I'm at home in the evening, thanks

makaveli60

The first part of Ratchet and Clank when you get out of the garage is a pretty big difference in HDR.
I tried that but saw no difference. In sdr colors looked a bit better. But I intend to buy a new hdmi cable later today and will try again

Hostile_18

Banned
First up HDR is all about accurate colours over bright colours.

So with that in mind your first port of call (and most peoples tripping up point) is when you play SDR content are you playing to accurate colours? If your tv is over saturating the image to begin with and HDR is accurate it will look incorectly washed out by comparison.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I tried that but saw no difference. In sdr colors looked a bit better. But I intend to buy a new hdmi cable later today and will try again

Check out HDR videos of R&C in YouTube and see if you can tell a difference. That first area is more about the blacks than anything and is a good test to see how dark your panel can get while keeping detail. If you see no difference on YouTube I would have to say it's the panel.

Top Bottom