• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose a game!

shibbs

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat & controller
Pikmin 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (xbox)
Jade Empire
Ninja Gaiden Black Edition
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

I asked my mom the get me one of these games for the holidays. Which should it be?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ninja Gaiden Black, give your mom the gift of savings.

Can't go wrong with any of those games I'd say.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ninja Gaiden bored me.

With that said... I can't really recommend any of those games, sees how I never completed any of um :)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (xbox)

If your mom buys you this, and then sees you play it, you're on to a winner. No self-respecting parent would knowingly buy this for their kin, even if you are over 18. And the result = your mom is overcome by guilt and self-hatred. This, in turn, will increase the liklehood of her baking you cakes and/or cookies. Also, she will then go and have to buy you Pikmin 2 straight afterwards... if you tell her that's a nice game about flower creatures that doesn't feature drugs/murder/prostitution/'rapping music'.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
If you have friends, Jungle Beat (not actually a multi-player game, but great fun to pass around the controller and take a level each - also provides an extra controller for Donkey Konga, which you should immediately buy if you don't have it already).

If you have the heart of a child, Pikmin 2.

If you have the heart of a child in a jar, Stranger's Wrath.

If you have a burberry cap, GTA.

If you have a thing for really bad martial arts movies and don't suffer RSI from button mashing, Jade Empire.

Osorio

I'm recommending Pikmin 2 if you want a relaxing game and Ninja Gaiden Black for a challenging game depending on what you want. Also, I advise to stay away from Jade Empire and Oddworld because they get boring quick.

Ironclad

I'll go between DK: JB and Pikmin 2. Both brilliant games. DK: JB is a basic platformer but once you get the hang of it, you notice that there is a rhythm to the platforming and it becomes addicting to gain more and more beats. Pikmin 2 expands on what the original created and removes the time limit. It's an extremely fun game, especially when playing with a friend.

Ninja Gaiden is a great action game, as everybody says but I would put DK: JB and Pikmin 2 above it in this vote. DK: JB and Pikmin 2 are extremely original and should definitely be played but play NGB when you get the chance too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
olimario said:
Pikmin 2 is the best of the bunch. Easily the most polished with the most to do.
Oh, it is NOT the most polished. Ninja Gaiden is the most polished of the bunch, hands down (but Pikmin 2 is close).

I will, however, recommend Stranger's Wrath. It was a FANTASTIC game that was largely ignored. Seriously, don't miss out on it.

olimario

Banned
dark10x said:
Oh, it is NOT the most polished. Ninja Gaiden is the most polished of the bunch, hands down (but Pikmin 2 is close).

I will, however, recommend Stranger's Wrath. It was a FANTASTIC game that was largely ignored. Seriously, don't miss out on it.

We'll agree to disagree. Everything about Pikmin 2 is perfect.

Vlad

I've only played DKJB, GTA, and Pikmin 2 out of that group.

That said, I'd go with DKJB or GTA, depending on what you're looking for. GTA:SA is absolutely massive, with tons to do, although it is a bit too easy, and does get a little repetitive. It's still fun to just wander around and see the sights, though.

DKJB is a shorter game, and just seeing all the levels doesn't take that long, but if you like replaying levels once you get better to try and get better scores, then you'll get a good amount of enjoyment out of it. I've played through every level quite a few times, and I still keep going back to it to try and do better or find things that I didn't notice before.

Play the original Pikmin if you haven't already, and skip the sequel. I found the first game to be a whole lot better. There's more stuff to do in the second one, but most of it is pretty tedious, and the removal of the first games time limit removes a lot of the fun. I'm pretty much in the minority as far as that goes, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
olimario said:
We'll agree to disagree. Everything about Pikmin 2 is perfect.
...and about everything with Gaiden is perfect.

There is not one flaw in its presentation. The game is polished to perfection. Even if Pikmin 2 matched it in every other department, the fact that Gaiden is also 60 fps places it in the lead. :)

Top Bottom