• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me figure out how to get into Destiny 2

I've always tried to get into the Destiny games but it was never really my thing. However, now I've made some that have played along and it is more enjoyable this time around.

My question is - how do I navigate this thing? Meaning, what are the benefits of the expansions? And which ones should I go for right now? I'm trying to understand what content is in each one because the expansions seem to be pretty pricey. Could just use some tips.

I've been playing as an old warlock Chararacter I set up years ago, but I recently decided to start fresh with a new character. Pointers would be welcomed.

Will Forte Fml GIF by The Lonely Island

My experience in Destiny 2 last year

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The fact you had to make a thread tells you all you need to know. I think unless you were in from the start and liked the original Destiny then it’s going to be difficult to get in to. I played it for a handful of hours and it’s got great gunplay and is “fun” but it’s a lifestyle game. If you have the spare time more power to you.

Still unsure why Sony purchased them, more than likely so that MS couldn’t buy them back. It was an offensive manoeuvre that was super overpriced in my eyes but time will tell. No doubt they have talent, we’ll see what marathon ends up being I suppose.

clarky

Gold Member
Best advice i can give is just don't bother, and i say this as a lapsed long term player. The passion in the game has long gone imo and it will eat into your gaming time like nothing you've ever experienced.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

I've always tried to get into the Destiny games but it was never really my thing. However, now I've made some that have played along and it is more enjoyable this time around.

My question is - how do I navigate this thing? Meaning, what are the benefits of the expansions? And which ones should I go for right now? I'm trying to understand what content is in each one because the expansions seem to be pretty pricey. Could just use some tips.

I've been playing as an old warlock Chararacter I set up years ago, but I recently decided to start fresh with a new character. Pointers would be welcomed.

Well outside of the typical forum trash "help" you have gotten from all the "players," as responses, the inportant question is what are you looking/want to do in the game? Is there a goal you have in mind? Do you want to play the Singke players stuff? PVP, Gambit? Endgame stuff? Lots of parts make up Destiny

clarky

Gold Member
My mind is kinda blown lol. What an odd situation bc I love the gunplay. They fumbled the bag
Its super repetitive. I was one of the weirdo's that actually liked PVP and in turn the gameplay loop of find weapons/ exotics then take them into pvp and wreck shit.

But they abandoned pvp, and in fact anything they can't monetize a long time ago. I tried to pick it back up recently and switched it off after on hour. I have over 1000 hours between D1 & 2 in total for reference.

Who knew the cure for my D2 addiction was actually D2 itself lol.

Last edited:
Its super repetitive. I was one of the weirdo's that actually liked PVP and in turn the gameplay loop of find weapons/ exotics then take them into pvp and wreck shit.

But they abandoned pvp, and in fact anything they can't monetize a long time ago. I tried to pick it back up recently and switched it off after on hour. I have over 1000 hours between D1 & 2 in total for reference.

Who knew the cure for my D2 addiction was actually D2 itself lol.
Haha that's kind of funny. A lot of fucking hours there.

Okay, we'll probably keep playing the base game a bit, but I won't buy dlc. I'll switch course - anyone have any good games to recommend with a group of 3?

I already said Warframe earlier. I know this completely changes the thread, but if anyone has recs they'd be appreciated. Mods nuke the thread if you feel appropriate

Roberts

Man, it is probably too late to get into it.

For me it went like this. Never really played Destiny 1 much but started playing 2 when it came out. Treated it more or less like a single player game, finished the story and while the lore was a bit confusing I think I got the gist of what it was about. Then all the DLCs started dropping and I didn't play any of them but was kind of curious to get back to it around when Which Queen came out. I thought about checking out some YT videos to freshen up my memory and I just zoned out after 5 minutes. Too much mumbo jumbo that doesn't seem all that interesting. And I'm super not interested in grinding for months to get some super duper new gear.

I think the combat was top stuff, though.

Last edited:

Skifi28

i tried it multiple times and I had no idea what the game wanted me to do other than the main story. And I've been playing MMOs for over a decade. I eventually gave up trying to understand this mess.

Wooxsvan

trust me, its a game that iv come back to every year and always leave w/ a bad taste in my mouth. their worst offense is the re use of assets, guns, worlds, events etc.

gothmog

Gold Member
Play the main story content. Ignore everything else until you've beaten it. It will then tell you what you can do post campaign. You have the freedom to go off script but it's not advised as you will start getting confused.

The original Gaf destiny community was actually very awesome, Ruthless, Hawk, etc. are all very nice sherpas. Too bad they all left to the purple site and the last time I checked, their destiny discord is literally a fucking political propaganda.

Dthomp Dthomp mate are you still playing? Maybe could give some advice to OP. Missed the good old times with playing with you. --- sxie0212

Sushi_Combo

This game effectively makes it near impossible to understand how to navigate as a newcomer or returning player. Fuck D2 and Fuck Bungie for how they've been handling this game.

Kings Field

I have 3000 hours between d1 and d2. Don't do it. It's no worth it anymore. I quit shortly after the last wish raid hit and it was the best decision of my life.

Lots of good memories but Bungie doesn't know what's going on anymore

Raven117

Im in it until the end....because...well...I'm a sucker and I just want to see it through. (I haven't played one minute past the main quest of the latest expansion, but will eventually).

But now? Hell no I wouldn't get into it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Presidential Debate Dont GIF by Election 2016

I love Destiny but yeah don’t try much better things to waste your time on.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This is absolute bollocks. Lightfall was bad, especially after WQ, but Destiny is the easiest to get into it has ever been.
I've attempted to return a couple of times over the last year and its still largely impenetrable even as a D1&2 vet. The onboarding experience is worst in its field, always has been.

Dthomp

OP, I'll try to put a little more thought into advice in a later post but I know the new player experience doesn't really give you a "what to do" checklist many games like this do and it will seem like alot of stuff thrown at you through their prompts pushing you different ways. Others have said, Witch Queen is free on PS+ and is likely the best or second best (My favorite) Expansion in the game. Like Cornbread78 Cornbread78 said, what are you looking to get from the game? Cause for me right now all I'm really focused on is raiding and collecting the red bordered patterns for weapon making. What makes things hard to decide is that Bungie kind of went in a bunch of different directions trying to please the 1% of the community so there is a ton of content almost designed for high high end solo play (which isn't why I play these games). Feel free @ me with any other questions that arise, I'm prepping for a couple runs with the group I play with shortly and will come back to this. You can easily get what you want from this game, you just kind of have to have an idea of how you want to attack it. Free version of the game doesn't really have a story, it just gets you the unlock for subclasses so it might be worth just playing a bit and then dig into Witch Queen since there is a ton of stuff on that planet to do and the story is very good

Well outside of the typical forum trash "help" you have gotten from all the "players," as responses, the inportant question is what are you looking/want to do in the game? Is there a goal you have in mind? Do you want to play the Singke players stuff? PVP, Gambit? Endgame stuff? Lots of parts make up Destiny
Corn~~~~~~~
Is that you? sxie0212 here !

Beechos

Lol I had the same thought when I recently tried it out. I was like where do I start where is the story missions, no tutorial mission. It kind of throws you into the middle of everything with no direction.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I played Destiny 1 on a system like PS3 with muddy graphics at 30 fps and enjoyed it quite a bit. I tried Destiny 2 on PC, but I couldn't figure out what to do, got confused, and gave up. I was thinking of maybe starting again one day, but the comments here indicate that the situation has gotten worse.

NEbeast

I've attempted to return a couple of times over the last year and its still largely impenetrable even as a D1&2 vet. The onboarding experience is worst in its field, always has been.
What could they do to help you? If you missed 4 years of content it's absolutely going to be hard to get into.

Ar¢tos

You make a character, you do a small tutorial like quest that leaves you in the tower, then you can start an expansion or do strikes/gambit/Crucible and chase bounties. If you own expansions then whenever you login you might be thrown into the first missions of an expansion or the current season, just go back to orbit if you are not in the mood at the time. You will get into acceptable light levels very quickly and the game showers you with exotic gear now, so you can join end game activities fairly quickly.

Top Bottom