• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with math

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

Please help me understand the following (or give me a site for this stuff):

-Peice wise functions
-Degrees and Zeros
-Composite Functions

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Grade 12 calculus?

EDIT: Piecewise being a function defined by more than one equation.
If I have some free time later I'll try to explain all of them for you... I'm studying for an Algeo exam right now.

goodcow

Before we help you, you must prove yourself worthy.

Find the area of this triangle, minus the box inside:
area_of_attic.png

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Here's another to prove yourself:

A truck burns fuel at a rate of (0.002x + 3/x) litres per hour when its constant speed is x km/h. Gasoline costs $0.73/L and the driver earns $15/h. What steady speed will minimize the cost of driving the truck if the truck must be driven 150 km?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Ah come on =(... My question could have been done in 3-4 minutes =(...

Ok... you must know how to graph something with one function. A piece wise function has two (or more) parts. The only problem you might run into are parts on the graph where these equations (the parts) overlap (you'll know based on their restrictions). In some cases, one of the equations upon inputting an x value will yield, let's say, a y value of 2, whereas another equation in the piece wise function might yield a y value of 3. This creates obvious problems as the two equations don't seem to transition seamlessly into each other.

--------
..........--------

When this happens, you MUST state that the piece wise function is discontinuous at _______ (whatever x value this occurs at).

In terms of differences between a piece wise function and a normal function, that's pretty much it.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
-Degrees and Zeros

Do you really need help with this??
Synthetic Division for cubics (3rd degree functions), etc.

Factor or Quadratic Formula for 2nd degree functions

Asymptotes: For a Vertical Asymptote, set the denominator equal to zero and solve.
For a Horizontal Asymptote divide by the highest degree in the function. For an Oblique Asymptote, divide by the highest degree in the denominator.

Make sure that you state that there are no _______ Asymptotes if there are none. You'll get screwed over for marks if you don't.

Derivative for Critical Numbers/Turning Points.
Second Derivative for Points of Inflection/Verify Turning Points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom