• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with psn redeeming codes on daughters account....

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hey squad, hoping someone can help.

I bought two lots of psn codes for fortnite for my daughter who is 10 years old. Last laugh bundle and minty legends and the codes won't redeem. I waited for over a week for a response from sonys customer support and its been pretty shit.

Even though I've given my daughter family rights to play the game on my ps5 they've said she can't redeem codes because she is 10 and fortnite is a 12.

Has anyone else come across this before and found a work around?

Sounds crazy that you can't redeem codes you have purchased on an account.

Appreciate any advice or if there is some come back I can go for with sonys customer support.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No advice, just a lol emoji...wow 😆

I'll take it that there's nothing I can do and it's one of those weird things only Sony does with their network?

Soosa

Banned
maybe add another account to the comsole with adult rights, and install game on that account? there is a trick like that to play multiple accounts on same system, without locking more than 1 at the time

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sorry bro. FYI child accounts on all consoles are a massive headache. Just create an adult account in the future and manually adjust communication settings.

Do you know if I can unlink her epic account from psn make a new account on psn and re add her epic account so she has all her stuff? That would be great if it worked.

Toots

Gold Member
Hey squad, hoping someone can help.

I bought two lots of psn codes for fortnite for my daughter who is 10 years old. Last laugh bundle and minty legends and the codes won't redeem. I waited for over a week for a response from sonys customer support and its been pretty shit.

Even though I've given my daughter family rights to play the game on my ps5 they've said she can't redeem codes because she is 10 and fortnite is a 12.

Has anyone else come across this before and found a work around?

Sounds crazy that you can't redeem codes you have purchased on an account.

Appreciate any advice or if there is some come back I can go for with sonys customer support.
Fortnite is hardly a 4 so they played you.
As far as your daughter being a 10, come on man...

Seriously tho i don't get it you're complaining that she doesn't have access to something she legally cannot have access to ?
You'll be able to redeem the codes on her account, you just have to wait two years, or have her use another profile as others said in the thread ?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fortnite is hardly a 4 so they played you.
As far as your daughter being a 10, come on man...

Seriously tho i don't get it you're complaining that she doesn't have access to something she legally cannot have access to ?
You'll be able to redeem the codes on her account, you just have to wait two years, or have her use another profile as others said in the thread ?

I don't know what the law is in the rest of the world. But in the UK where we use PEGI, as her parent I am allowed to decide that she can play the game. I purchased the game for her and chose that she can play it. IO believe it also illegal for sony to restrict content I have decided to purchase for her and given her permission to play but it looks like its more just a bullshit PSN back end issue which we here about a lot.

I can purchase stuff for her on Nintendo or Xbox or PC which is crazy when you think about it, right? especially Nintendo! lol

Mr Moose

Set parental controls to 5.
You bring up PEGI and then complain that Sony are doing something illegal here, by stopping your 10 year old from purchasing something in a 12 rated game... Just because you can ignore the rating doesn't mean retailers can.

PARENTAL CONTROLS FOR GAMES AND NON-GAME APPLICATIONS

PlayStation® consoles offer a set of parental controls to enable a parent to restrict access to products with a certain age rating ensuring that children do not see or play content that the parent considers inappropriate. As explained above, games available on the PlayStation®Store are classified according to the PEGI rating system (except where, by law, another rating system applies) and non-game applications available on the PlayStation® Store are classified according to the non-game application rating system. Each age rating corresponds to a parental control level on the PlayStation® console as follows:

So, if your child is 13, set the parental control on your console to level 5. This means that your child will be able to play games and non-game applications age rated 12 and below.
In addition, when you set up a sub account for a child on the PlayStation®Network, you will be asked to confirm their date of birth. Sub accounts will not be able to purchase content on the PlayStation®Store which is rated above their registered age. However, once content has been downloaded from the PlayStation®Store to the PlayStation console, children may be able to access the content if the parental control level on the console is not set. That is why it is important to set the console parental controls as explained above.
For more information on parental controls, visit eu.playstation.com/parents.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Set parental controls to 5.
You bring up PEGI and then complain that Sony are doing something illegal here, by stopping your 10 year old from purchasing something in a 12 rated game... Just because you can ignore the rating doesn't mean retailers can.

It's just a ps5 issue. You can set the age rating to what ever you want for ps4 but you can't on ps5. It's restricted to the age of the child on the ps5 and you can go above.

Don't need to get too protective, dude. As her parent I can decide what she can and can not play...like since the dawn of time. I could let her watch an 18 If I wanted to. I wouldn't do that but anyway.

I got around this bullshit by creating her a new psn account with a fake age of 18. Un linking her epic account and re activating it to the new psn account.

Some stupid loophole I had to jump through but it worked so all good.

You know it's crazy when Nintendo doesn't inforce this weird back end issue Sony has. They've probably not got around to updating the ps5 side yet, as you can sort it with ps4 settings but not ps5.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I don't know what the law is in the rest of the world. But in the UK where we use PEGI, as her parent I am allowed to decide that she can play the game. I purchased the game for her and chose that she can play it. IO believe it also illegal for sony to restrict content I have decided to purchase for her and given her permission to play but it looks like its more just a bullshit PSN back end issue which we here about a lot.

I can purchase stuff for her on Nintendo or Xbox or PC which is crazy when you think about it, right? especially Nintendo! lol
I think that in France a parent's right cannot override the law but i'm no lawyer...
Anyway in France we use PEGI too, but it never had any ground in law. It's a recommandation but nothing more... I didn't even get that at first, but that Sony can refuse to do as you tell them based on this PEGI thing only is really surprising.

Haggard

Banned
Why is anyone surprised that one can`t redeem codes for a 12+ product on a 10 year old`s account?
That would have legal consequences for Sony in most western countries.......

Reactions: GHG

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why is anyone surprised that one can`t redeem codes for a 12+ product on a 10 year old`s account?

So how does every other company get around it?

That's what I don't get.

Toots

Gold Member
Is PEGI legally binding though ?
In France at least i don't think so...

Top Bottom