• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Yup what a painless install

Still hoping they find a way to get this working on later firmwares

I have quite a few newer games that I own that I would like to be able to play on here as well
No one's working on this afaik, unless one of those couple of hackers who were reverse engineering henkaku decided to pursue it. And even then, molecule seems pretty adamant that the vita security is so over the top it won't happen in the next few years. Talking years of dedicated searching for an exploit for it to happen, and it's not even sure anyone is looking.
I have a 3.60 original vita. What can I do with this hack?
run homebrew. install plugins.

L.O.R.D

Interesting! I'll look into this for sure. I left my original 3g vita on 1.81 lol. I'm getting more info and then going to 3.60, etc. Any info on an sd adapter to use in the 3g slot would be appreciated.

that adapter is different,i think there was kickstarter for that product and all adapters sold out.

There's an error preventing PSN downloads or activating systems right now. Yifan doesn't seem to think it's related to Henkaku or Enso, might be an issue with 3.60 being blocked by sony or something.

Dark Rider

Do the activation errors matter if I just intend to play offline? I don't even have an account tied to my homebrew Vita aside from whatever my friend used a few times before he sold it to me. I'd like to link my Japanese account to that console if possible, but will it be a problem if I just intend to install Enso and play emulators? I also haven't updated HENKaku since late last year; I've had the same boot running for months if that matters.

Dark Rider

Do the activation errors matter if I just intend to play offline? I don't even have an account tied to my homebrew Vita aside from whatever my friend used a few times before he sold it to me. I'd like to link my Japanese account to that console if possible, but will it be a problem if I just intend to install Enso and play emulators? I also haven't updated HENKaku since late last year; I've had the same boot running for months if that matters.

You need an activated vita/pstv in order to use adrenaline. It does not matter if you play offline the activation files must be on the vita memory for you to be able to install adrenaline. I think you can't attach another account as of now because you will have to reset your vita which will delete your current activation files and result in you not being able to attach your account because of the new measures Sony took and not being able to install adrenaline, basically you will be screwing yourself. You should (and everyone else) follow the link I posted right above your post to backup your current activation files for safe keeping just in case for the time being.

Thank you. Sony realize that majority of new vitas/pstvs on the western market is below 3.60 and people were taking advantage of that hacking them so the install base for Henkaku is still growing despite then blocking it in every firmware after 3.60 so they thought of a way to disrupt that. As Yifanlu mentioned it is possible to overcome this but the vita scene is so small to work on such a big task sadly.

Man, why does Sony even care at this point?

Sony got burnt badly on the PS3, the hacking of which lead to all known PSP models and versions being soft hackable, as well as people getting access to the Debug network from which the PS Store would allow software to be downloaded without charging. A certain degree of paranoia makes sense.

wetalo

You need an activated vita/pstv in order to use adrenaline. It does not matter if you play offline the activation files must be on the vita memory for you to be able to install adrenaline. I think you can't attach another account as of now because you will have to reset your vita which will delete your current activation files and result in you not being able to attach your account because of the new measures Sony took and not being able to install adrenaline, basically you will be screwing yourself. You should (and everyone else) follow the link I posted right above your post to backup your current activation files for safe keeping just in case for the time being.

Easy Adrenaline installer allows you to install it even if your Vita isn't activated. I did it à few weeks ago.

Dark Rider

Easy Adrenaline installer allows you to install it even if your Vita isn't activated. I did it à few weeks ago.

As far as I know easy adrenaline installer eliminates the need to download a game from the store in order to use it for adrenaline installation (because it installs a placeholder for you to do the job) but it absolutely still require that the vita is already activated, at least that how it went for me when I tried it. Have anything changed since then?

spons

Gold Member

No it does not. I just tried it. It specifically checks for tm0:npdrm/act.dat. Using version 1.15, the latest as of writing.

Dark Rider

No it does not. I just tried it. It specifically checks for tm0:npdrm/act.dat. Using version 1.15, the latest as of writing.

Yes, the only thing it bypass is the need to download a psx/psp game from the PSN store because it installs a placeholder but it still absolutely need the vita to be activated first.

EDIT: again everyone back-up your activation files just in case your vita reset for whatever reason it only takes a minutes and could save you from losing adrenaline.

Just took some time to update Henkaku, install Enso and Easy Adrenaline. It's incredible how easy the whole thing is to set up. Now I can play RockBand Unplugged once again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't updated HENkaku in months. Is that necessary to get Enso? I just go on the site again to update it, right?

Enso has a separate vpk to install. So update Henkaku normally by going to the site, and then download and run the vpk. Make sure it's not the old beta which is less stable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah, but do I need to power cycle, or just visit the site again on the same boot I've had on for months?

I honestly don't remember if you have to reboot the device in order to update. I used to turn it off and re-activate HENkaku by downloading the updated version. Is there any reason why you don't want to turn off your device?

Pretty sure you need to power cycle. The Henkaku site tries to run the exploit which will almost certainly crash if you've already got it running.

After about 15 minutes of crashes, I got Enso installed. I'm glad I won't have to do that ever again. The installation of Enso itself was painless, but the internet browser was fighting against reinstalling HENkaku with every ounce of its being. So it's unlikely I can install Adrenaline, right? My friend has his old account tied to this homebrew Vita, so I assume that means it's been activated.

RadicalR

Neo Member
My new 3.6 board is coming in this next week or so. How screwed am I?

One of the people said that he might be able to get adrenaline working without needing activation, but he won't have time until September.

Past that, you should be able to get henkaku running.

After about 15 minutes of crashes, I got Enso installed. I'm glad I won't have to do that ever again. The installation of Enso itself was painless, but the internet browser was fighting against reinstalling HENkaku with every ounce of its being. So it's unlikely I can install Adrenaline, right? My friend has his old account tied to this homebrew Vita, so I assume that means it's been activated.

If it's already activated you can install Adrenaline.

even if it's not activated, TheFl0w has said he intends to remove the requirement of activation sometime after next month.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I'm assuming to use an SD2Vita adapter with your physical games, you have to rip them to your Vita memory card and then transfer them to your new SD card after you set it up?

Unfortunately, my 32 GB is full, so I'll have to back that up to my PC, uninstall everything that isn't necessary, rip my game cards, back those up just in case, then transfer everything onto the SD card after I set it up. Does that sound right, or is there an easier process that I'm missing?

What's the easiest way to get the activation files from my Vita to PC? I've never done this homebrew stuff yet, I just want to keep my Vita at 3.60 and open for hacks in case Sony shuts down PSN services for the Vita and makes it a brick later (all my games are digital).

I have "MolecularShell" and the Henkaku Settings options on the settings menu, but nothing else.

What's the easiest way to get the activation files from my Vita to PC? I've never done this homebrew stuff yet, I just want to keep my Vita at 3.60 and open for hacks in case Sony shuts down PSN services for the Vita and makes it a brick later (all my games are digital).

I have "MolecularShell" and the Henkaku Settings options on the settings menu, but nothing else.

The latest versions of molecular/vita shell have USB drive support

just connect it to a pc and youll be able to browse files like you normally would on a USB drive

Sucks that before that SD card thing was available I'm no longer able to download stuff on PSN. I know you can install dumps and stuff, but it's not as convenient.

Hopefully the spoofing will work again eventually.

TheContact

just installed enso today i've been out of the henkaku scene for a while. couple questions:

which emulators are best for snes/gba and is there any way to use online features such as accessing the store?

linko9

Hey, just wanted to chronicle my harrowing experience trying to play some Castlevania, which has a happy ending thanks to Henkaku.

latest

About a year ago, I bought a PSTV online for I think $40. Seemed like a pretty great deal, and even though there was only one Vita game I wanted to play (P4 Golden), that seemed worth it. However, I also never had a PSP, and there were a number of games I wanted to play. I bought the digital versions of P3P, FFT, and, most importantly, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. These first two worked fine. But it's the last one that I really wanted to play. Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite games, and while the remake didn't look amazing, I had always wanted to play it.

Now, I was aware ahead of time that some Vita games did not work on the PSTV. I assumed no such restriction would exist for PSP games; after all, this is just Vita hardware, and the Vita can play all PSP games just fine. Nonetheless, I made sure to specifically check when buying the game on the Playstation store (which I did through my PSTV) that each game was compatible with the PSTV. All of them were specifically listed as being PSTV compatible. If you look now, only Vita and PSP are listed for Dracula X, but I swear that at the time, PSTV was also specifically listed. You can guess what happened when I tried to launch it. It refused to play, because for some inscrutable reason, Sony made the conscious decision to exclude certain PSP games from working on a PSTV. I was so viscerally disgusted by this combination of deceit and incompetence (
disgusted I say!
) that I unplugged the thing and let it sit for about a year.

This week, I got to messing with PSP emulation. I had always assumed it was a little rough, but using the PPSSPP core in Retroarch, found that the emulator was actually really good, though there were some problems. The best thing is its ability to do a perfect 4x pixel display, which only cuts off the top and bottom line of PSP pixels on a 1080p display; added fake scanlines, and the picture looked great. I finally got to play Dracula X chronicles, and really liked it. The game is really successful in keeping the feel of the original, while mixing in enough differences to justify its existence, despite looking worse. Honestly I got pretty hooked on the game. However, there were some problems. Being an emulator, there was noticeable input lag, which is always bad for something like CV. Also, the emulator was not entirely accurate. FMVs did not play, the prerecorded Boss Demo inputs got out of sync, there were a few graphical glitches, and every once in a while the game would crash when going back to the main menu.

So, I wanted to finally try to get this game running on my PSTV. I knew that Henkaku was a thing, but hadn't wanted to fiddle with it up until now. I figured I would give it a shot and see if I could get things sorted out. Upgraded the firmware to 3.60, went to the site, told Henkaku to run, and got an error. Restarted and got the same error. On my third try, while googling the problem, Henkaku actually booted up after a minute or so of the error message still being on the screen. Odd. But anyway it was working. So now I needed a way to get Dracula X playable. The solution ended up being pretty simple, but this process is really poorly documented on the internet, so it took a long time to figure it out. First I was led to various programs that I could run from Henkaku, which claimed to update the "whitelist" to allow all games to be played. The most popular such program was no longer hosted on the internet, but there was another one I managed to download. I ran it, and it said everything was good. Castlevania still did not play.

So, after more googling, I found that there are actually two separate whitelists in the PSTV; one for Vita games, and one for PSP and PSX games. Presumably, the program I used only replaced the Vita one. So, I found the name and location of these files on the PSTV; they are in the folder "ur0:game\launch" and titled "list_launch_vita.dat" and "list_launch_emu.dat", the latter one being for the PSP and PSX games. This is a 40 KB file which exists purely to stop you from playing games that run with no problem at all on your system. I found the hacked whitelist by just googling the filename, and now all I had to do was replace the existing one. This was actually somewhat harder than it should be. For whatever reason, using the default software installed by Henkaku, you do not get access to most directories on your PSTV when connecting via an ftp client on your computer (I used Filezilla). Notably, I could not access the "ur0:" directory. Luckily, Henkaku has a feature to copy and past files from its own interface. So, I uploaded the new whitelist to the only folder that I could access, then from the PSTV, copied and pasted that file to the appropriate location, overwriting the Sony-provided whitelist.

Now it was time for the moment of truth. I launched the game, and it worked! Because this process overwrites the whitelist file, its now a permanent change to my system. Unlike running Henkaku, I don't have to do anything each time I power on the system; all games are permanently whitelisted now. Overall the process was definitely worth it. The reduced lag and elimination of the inaccuracies from the emulator were very noticeable. Unfortunately, since the PSTV scales the 480x272 image to 720p, which is then scaled to the TV's 1080p, the pixels are far from uniform, and the image does not look sharp at all. But honestly it doesn't look bad, and didn't bother me all that much. Best of all, my 8bitdo arcade stick has a PS3 mode (had to update the firmware), and this works with the PSTV when plugged into its USB port. I had already beaten the game on the emulator, but quickly breezed through the whole thing again on the PSTV in about 1/10 of the time. All I've got to do now is the Boss Rush modes.

Anyway, hopefully if anyone out there is in a similar situation, this can help them out. I can imagine that if anyone's trying to capture this game or another blacklisted PSP game, using the PSTV with this method could be a really good way to do that. I'm just happy I could finally play a game that I bought with the promise that it would work on my system. I for one will never forgive Sony for this grievous injustice! NEVER!
pretty sure the game was on sale for like $3 when I bought it.

Hi I just firef up my PsvitaTV after a year and I downloaded the latest firmware that it asked me to.

Is it too late for me to get into this hack/emulation , honestly I just want to play the psp castlevania like the guy above me.

Dark Rider

Hey, just wanted to chronicle my harrowing experience trying to play some Castlevania, which has a happy ending thanks to Henkaku.

About a year ago, I bought a PSTV online for I think $40. Seemed like a pretty great deal, and even though there was only one Vita game I wanted to play (P4 Golden), that seemed worth it. However, I also never had a PSP, and there were a number of games I wanted to play. I bought the digital versions of P3P, FFT, and, most importantly, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. These first two worked fine. But it's the last one that I really wanted to play. Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite games, and while the remake didn't look amazing, I had always wanted to play it.

Now, I was aware ahead of time that some Vita games did not work on the PSTV. I assumed no such restriction would exist for PSP games; after all, this is just Vita hardware, and the Vita can play all PSP games just fine. Nonetheless, I made sure to specifically check when buying the game on the Playstation store (which I did through my PSTV) that each game was compatible with the PSTV. All of them were specifically listed as being PSTV compatible. If you look now, only Vita and PSP are listed for Dracula X, but I swear that at the time, PSTV was also specifically listed. You can guess what happened when I tried to launch it. It refused to play, because for some inscrutable reason, Sony made the conscious decision to exclude certain PSP games from working on a PSTV. I was so viscerally disgusted by this combination of deceit and incompetence (
disgusted I say!
) that I unplugged the thing and let it sit for about a year.

This week, I got to messing with PSP emulation. I had always assumed it was a little rough, but using the PPSSPP core in Retroarch, found that the emulator was actually really good, though there were some problems. The best thing is its ability to do a perfect 4x pixel display, which only cuts off the top and bottom line of PSP pixels on a 1080p display; added fake scanlines, and the picture looked great. I finally got to play Dracula X chronicles, and really liked it. The game is really successful in keeping the feel of the original, while mixing in enough differences to justify its existence, despite looking worse. Honestly I got pretty hooked on the game. However, there were some problems. Being an emulator, there was noticeable input lag, which is always bad for something like CV. Also, the emulator was not entirely accurate. FMVs did not play, the prerecorded Boss Demo inputs got out of sync, there were a few graphical glitches, and every once in a while the game would crash when going back to the main menu.

So, I wanted to finally try to get this game running on my PSTV. I knew that Henkaku was a thing, but hadn't wanted to fiddle with it up until now. I figured I would give it a shot and see if I could get things sorted out. Upgraded the firmware to 3.60, went to the site, told Henkaku to run, and got an error. Restarted and got the same error. On my third try, while googling the problem, Henkaku actually booted up after a minute or so of the error message still being on the screen. Odd. But anyway it was working. So now I needed a way to get Dracula X playable. The solution ended up being pretty simple, but this process is really poorly documented on the internet, so it took a long time to figure it out. First I was led to various programs that I could run from Henkaku, which claimed to update the "whitelist" to allow all games to be played. The most popular such program was no longer hosted on the internet, but there was another one I managed to download. I ran it, and it said everything was good. Castlevania still did not play.

So, after more googling, I found that there are actually two separate whitelists in the PSTV; one for Vita games, and one for PSP and PSX games. Presumably, the program I used only replaced the Vita one. So, I found the name and location of these files on the PSTV; they are in the folder "ur0:game\launch" and titled "list_launch_vita.dat" and "list_launch_emu.dat", the latter one being for the PSP and PSX games. This is a 40 KB file which exists purely to stop you from playing games that run with no problem at all on your system. I found the hacked whitelist by just googling the filename, and now all I had to do was replace the existing one. This was actually somewhat harder than it should be. For whatever reason, using the default software installed by Henkaku, you do not get access to most directories on your PSTV when connecting via an ftp client on your computer (I used Filezilla). Notably, I could not access the "ur0:" directory. Luckily, Henkaku has a feature to copy and past files from its own interface. So, I uploaded the new whitelist to the only folder that I could access, then from the PSTV, copied and pasted that file to the appropriate location, overwriting the Sony-provided whitelist.

Now it was time for the moment of truth. I launched the game, and it worked! Because this process overwrites the whitelist file, its now a permanent change to my system. Unlike running Henkaku, I don't have to do anything each time I power on the system; all games are permanently whitelisted now. Overall the process was definitely worth it. The reduced lag and elimination of the inaccuracies from the emulator were very noticeable. Unfortunately, since the PSTV scales the 480x272 image to 720p, which is then scaled to the TV's 1080p, the pixels are far from uniform, and the image does not look sharp at all. But honestly it doesn't look bad, and didn't bother me all that much. Best of all, my 8bitdo arcade stick has a PS3 mode (had to update the firmware), and this works with the PSTV when plugged into its USB port. I had already beaten the game on the emulator, but quickly breezed through the whole thing again on the PSTV in about 1/10 of the time. All I've got to do now is the Boss Rush modes.

Anyway, hopefully if anyone out there is in a similar situation, this can help them out. I can imagine that if anyone's trying to capture this game or another blacklisted PSP game, using the PSTV with this method could be a really good way to do that. I'm just happy I could finally play a game that I bought with the promise that it would work on my system. I for one will never forgive Sony for this grievous injustice! NEVER!
pretty sure the game was on sale for like $3 when I bought it.

Good that you had a happy ending :)

You could just use AntiBlackList to white list everything and used Adrenaline to run everything that the original PSP could run :)
and for Henkaku there was an offline installer but that is irrelevant as of now because you can upgrade to enso henkaku which boots up on the pstv boot up.
In case you are using a USB memory stick you can install usbmic which would auto mount it for you on system boot up.
About your problems with moving files I suspect that you did not go to the application sitting and change its mode from safe mode on to off which then would display all the directories and you will have full access to all of them.

linko9

Good that you had a happy ending :)

You could just use AntiBlackList to white list everything and used Adrenaline to run everything that the original PSP could run :)
and for Henkaku there was an offline installer but that is irrelevant as of now because you can upgrade to enso henkaku which boots up on the pstv boot up.
In case you are using a USB memory stick you can install usbmic which would auto mount it for you on system boot up.
About your problems with moving files I suspect that you did not go to the application sitting and change its mode from safe mode on to off which then would display all the directories and you will have full access to all of them.

Thanks for the tip!

Actually Antiblacklist is the application I did use, and it unfortunately didn't work; I unfortunately did not come across Adrenaline in my search. As for the files not showing up, I did disable safe mode on the PSTV, which made the directories show up in Henkaku, but the issue was that the folders wouldn't show on my PC.

Dark Rider

Thanks for the tip!

Actually Antiblacklist is the application I did use, and it unfortunately didn't work; I unfortunately did not come across Adrenaline in my search. As for the files not showing up, I did disable safe mode on the PSTV, which made the directories show up in Henkaku, but the issue was that the folders wouldn't show on my PC.

I didn't verify it myself but I saw some people say it did the trick for psp games too (and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles was mentioned specifically but if it didn't work for you then maybe that person was using adrenaline to run it and confused it with other things)

Adrenaline basically takes over the native psp emulator by Sony and use it to fully run psp environment so once you launch it you are basically in a psp and can run anything the original psp could run with the exception of some games patches which I hope will be resolved sometime.
here is a link: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline/releases
and the following is a link to an easy installer version which basically does the work for you so I recommend it over the previous link but since Adrenaline have different features/bugs that differ from version to version I recommend looking at the first look for the change log and choosing the version you want but then using the link below to install it.
here is the easy installer: https://github.com/Freakler/vita-AdrenalineEasyInstaller/releases

About the folders not showing up on your PC that is the first time I heard about this, did you retry after shutting down the pstv and restarting it? the unsafe mode will carry on.

Top Bottom