• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill is The Witcher

Tesseract

Banned
it's gonna be real hard for me to accept anyone who isn't doug cockle, but them is the ropes.

we'll see what happens, i'm optimistic.

Makariel

Shouldn't they get an East European actor? He's about as a British as you get.
Isn't the whole point of the witcher that he is an outsider? Besides, he already played an invincible space alien, I think pretending to be European is something a Brit might just about manage to pull off.

Kadayi

Banned
I think we had a thread about this already. I'm ok with this. I suspect a lot of people fixate on the game in terms of the look, but it's important to remember that this series is being drawn from the books and not the games. Given that the writer of the series sold the rights to the game for a pittance years ago and has been quite vocal about his disdain for what CDP have produced, I doubt they'll be drawing much inspiration from the games visual style and characterization unless there's been some discussion between all parties.

I think we had a thread about this already. I'm ok with this. I suspect a lot of people fixate on the game in terms of the look, but it's important to remember that this series is being drawn from the books and not the games. Given that the writer of the series sold the rights to the game for a pittance years ago and has been quite vocal about his disdain for what CDP have produced, I doubt they'll be drawing much inspiration from the games visual style and characterization unless there's been some discussion between all parties.

is he mad he sold the rights and is being a baby or are the games not that like true or whatever to the books. ive only played the games so i have no idea. also if they sold the right did netflix have to buy it off cdpr

Gander

Banned
I assume this is going to be Netflix's Game of Thrones series but is there enough content for that?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
is he mad he sold the rights and is being a baby or are the games not that like true or whatever to the books. ive only played the games so i have no idea. also if they sold the right did netflix have to buy it off cdpr
I’m up to the fifth book so far and the Witcher games tell their own stories, but are faithful to the books and the world in my opinion. I haven’t noticed any wild deviations. Even the characters are how they are described in the book. Maybe Triss is a little different from books to games.

DiscoJer

Isn't the whole point of the witcher that he is an outsider? Besides, he already played an invincible space alien, I think pretending to be European is something a Brit might just about manage to pull off.

He's not really an outsider, he's a normal person taken in and mutated, sort of like Captain America.

But it just seems off to me, the novels are very East European, they aren't British, he should look more like UFC fighter than a British model. (And really, the British are way overrepresented in movies and TV anyway)

He's not really an outsider, he's a normal person taken in and mutated, sort of like Captain America.

But it just seems off to me, the novels are very East European, they aren't British, he should look more like UFC fighter than a British model. (And really, the British are way overrepresented in movies and TV anyway)

i mean what ufc fighter thats such a broad example there are a lot of black ufc fighters a lot of hispanic ufc fighters a lot of brazilian ufc fighters some european ufc fighters a lot of white ufc fighters

all of them at once maybe

ruvikx

Banned

The novels (& factions presented) are very European-wide in their depiction of their world. Nilfgaard is a sort of Holy Roman Empire/France/Spain construct, whilst the Northern Realms embody a sort of combination of German states, east European states & yes, even England during the medieval era (Britain is historically part of European civilization, FYI). I mean just judging purely based upon the games in the English language version (sold in North America & Anglo-speaking countries) most of the peasants & soldiers had British accents anyway (I didn't notice many east European accents, that's for sure):

Henry Cavill is a perfect choice as Geralt.

Makariel

He's not really an outsider, [...]
He very much is. The whole point is that he is a supernatural mercenary just showing up to kill monsters.
But it just seems off to me, the novels are very East European, they aren't British, he should look more like UFC fighter than a British model.
I don't get why you equate UFC with Eastern Europeans? Most UFC fighters I can think of come from all over the place, and they are a very diverse bunch. I'm a bit confused now. I know many Eastern Europeans, only very few of them look like UFC fighters lol. Have you ever been anywhere east of Britain? ;)

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
IOTMtz3.jpg

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
A bit too good looking for that role,no?
It’s tricky. The character is supposed to be somewhat ugly and repulsive to most of the general population, but secretly sexy to a lot of women. I don’t know how you pull that off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s tricky. The character is supposed to be somewhat ugly and repulsive to most of the general population, but secretly sexy to a lot of women. I don’t know how you pull that off.

IMO, he wasn't that ugly in the game either. Grizzled and masculine.

Fbh

A bit too good looking for that role,no?

I guess it depends on the interpretation but I'd say Gerlat in TW3 is supposed to be good looking:
The-Witcher-3-Opening-Cinematic-Trailer-3.jpg

Witcher 1 though is another story:
preview.jpg

I don't know which one is more book accurate (I actually read the first one but don't remember the description)

I don't know which one is more book accurate (I actually read the first one but don't remember the description)

Lol, yeah those eyes. Those wandering eyes! I've been playing the Witcher 3 again and I remembered Zoltan's eyes in Witcher 1 vs. Witcher 3 and it's...yeah lol.

As far Cavill, like Geralt says, "We'll see".

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
first witcher is probably more accurate than the second or third, although it's hard to hate the solid snake look.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man Angry Joe is still alive and fatter huh

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I am loving the casting decisions so far. They also have already stated that Ciri will not be white. They are going for a minority lead for that part. Really interested to see how they portray her.

Dontero

Banned

Books don't exactly describe Geralt well. Only thing we know is that he was very nicely build (but not musclelord) and he isn't ugly, people are mostly scared of his visage of witcher because they look like soldiers/bandits + his weir hair. If not for this he would be pretty good looking guy. Which is the reason why he scores chicks not only magic chicks.

Games fucked up lore a bit because Geralt can accomodate eyes as he want and normally he doesn't have slit eyes like in games. From outside he is just palish dude with white as milk hair.

His eyes and Triss showing breast lines are weird fuckups CDPR did with TW i don't understand.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Games fucked up lore a bit because Geralt can accomodate eyes as he want and normally he doesn't have slit eyes like in games. From outside he is just palish dude with white as milk hair.

His eyes and Triss showing breast lines are weird fuckups CDPR did with TW i don't understand.

Nah they got his eyes right. In the books Witchers are described as having "cat eyes"

And we know he is good looking as well because many female characters throw themselves at him or admire him from afar. Shani, Yen, Triss, Sabrina, Keira Metz, etc etc the list is kinda long lol

Last edited:
I am loving the casting decisions so far. They also have already stated that Ciri will not be white. They are going for a minority lead for that part. Really interested to see how they portray her.

honest question BE REAL WITH ME FOR ONCE PLEASE. is there like one kind of progressive issue no matter how small where you go "thats fucking stupid". or are you just on board with it all. i honestly wholeheartedly really want to know

Nobody_Important

honest question BE REAL WITH ME FOR ONCE PLEASE. is there like one kind of progressive issue no matter how small where you go "thats fucking stupid". or are you just on board with it all. i honestly wholeheartedly really want to know

How is casting a minority lead "fucking stupid"?

Nobody_Important

you listen to nothing i said. i am wise and you will travel the world blind my friend

No I heard you. You asked if I find any progressive moves "fucking stupid". Implying that you think that I should think this particular move "fucking stupid"for some reason. To answer your question though no I do not find progress "fucking stupid".

So now that I answered your question i'll ask mine again.

How is casting a minority lead "fucking stupid" in your opinion?

No I heard you. You asked if I find any progressive moves "fucking stupid". Implying that you think that I should think this particular move "fucking stupid"for some reason. To answer your question though no I do not find progress "fucking stupid".

So now that I answered your question i'll ask mine again.

How is casting a minority lead "fucking stupid" in your opinion?

thats not what im saying at all and youre just assuming something because you have a chip on your shoulder. also i wont answer that question. its dumb and you know it. its like me scratching your asshole and you making me smell it

Geki-D

Banned

Angry Joe is really starting to pack on the pounds.
From What I've heard It's Gerald from the first game. In the books he apparently hates facial hair. So people expecting him to have a beard like in the pics they've been editing of Henry Cavill based off W3 Gerald may be disappointed.

Nobody_Important

thats not what im saying at all and youre just assuming something because you have a chip on your shoulder. also i wont answer that question. its dumb and you know it. its like me scratching your asshole and you making me smell it

No I'm not. You came in here and said.

is there like one kind of progressive issue no matter how small where you go "thats fucking stupid".

And you said that because I said that I am happy they are casting a minority lead. Those are your own fucking words. I didn't assume anything. That directly implies that you think I should find this particular move "fucking stupid". Otherwise why would you even say anything? If you yourself supported the move then you wouldn't have tried to say anything like that. You would have either agreed with me or not said anything at all.

Last edited:
No I'm not. You came in here and said.

And you said that because I said that I am happy they are casting a minority lead. Those are your own fucking words. I didn't assume anything. That directly implies that you think I should find this particular move "fucking stupid". Otherwise why would you even say anything? If you yourself supported the move then you wouldn't have tried to say anything like that. You would have either agreed with me or not said anything at all.

nope thats your projection. i was talking in general. also you never answered my question and just went immediately into your own line of questioning. if you cant handle a simple question clearly something is wrong.

Last edited:
I did actually. And then I asked you my question again. And you dodged it. Again. Just goes to show you don't even bother to read either.

actually you didnt. your first response is "how is it fucking stupid" and then you went on asking more questions. hey man a simple yes or no would have done fine, but as we all know you cant answer questions. you clearly cant take responsibility for anything you say. the point isnt now you asking me shit. the point is i asked you something first and you never answered and now you want to try and make it seem like im not answering you. disgusting tactics

Nobody_Important

actually you didnt. your first response is "how is it fucking stupid" and then you went on asking more questions. hey man a simple yes or no would have done fine, but as we all know you cant answer questions. you clearly cant take responsibility for anything you say. the point isnt now you asking me shit. the point is i asked you something first and you never answered and now you want to try and make it seem like im not answering you. disgusting tactics

Wow you actually did not read what I said :ROFLMAO:

To answer your question though no I do not find progress "fucking stupid".

So yes I did in fact answer your question.

Last edited:
hmm. i didnt in fact read it but i will say its such a bad answer im gonna discard it anyways as if i didnt read it in the first place.

"for a 16 or 15 year old BAME (black, Asian, minority ethnic) girl who can play down to 13/14."

jesus its like they are talking to cattle. people dont care. JUST GIVE ME REPRESENTATIONS. NOW.

also will it be the stereotypical black girl with an attitude with a fro? my spidey sense is tingling

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

hmm. i didnt in fact read it but i will say its such a bad answer im gonna discard it anyways as if i didnt read it in the first place.

"YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION"

I did actually

"NO YOU DIDN'T"

*Shows you that I did in fact answer it*

"I'M RIGHT AND I REJECT YOUR ANSWER BECAUSE REASONS"

tenor.gif

"YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION"

I did actually

"NO YOU DIDN'T"

*Shows you that I did in fact answer it*

"I'M RIGHT AND I REJECT YOUR ANSWER BECAUSE REASONS"

tenor.gif

eeeeeeeeeeh buzzer went off. you took too long to come up with that response. i win you lose. also i won just off of basic logic. sorry to hurt your feelings.

Top Bottom